test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Player Starbase Art update

llywarchllywarch Member Posts: 224 Arc User
edited November 2014 in The Art of Star Trek Online
I am a huge fan of player Starbases. As an Rper I spend way too much time in the interior of my fleets Starbase. I was wondering if there was any intention to update the art to something closer to the new Earth Spacedock. I love the new 2410 art style. Meshes way better with the Oddy uniform and all the other new things Cryptic gives us.

Would love if the Player Starbases interior could be more sleek and modern like the new ESD.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    warpedcorewarpedcore Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Agreed, completely. The interior of the base is a vital component to role players. Even if its just a copy paste of the ESD interior, it would make for a far more interesting stage.

Not to mention Romulan style bases. ;)
  • Options
    rhazedurilerhazedurile Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Could not agree more. The new style of ESD combined with the Oddyessey uniforms and the overall look and feel of ships launched in 2409+ are much more in line with Starfleet as it should be during this time.

I'm a big fan of the player Starbase, but one of my pet peeves about the look and feel of especially the Ops level is that it looks less like a functional Starbase and more like a party zone. The current design of player starbases are not a good marriage of form and function.
    dZWjlSs.jpg
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    To change it would require a club 47 amount of time. I think there are a lot more important features which need an art pass than the starbase interior.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Everyone has their own list of things that should be done before other things. I would simply like to add my support to a starbase upgrade, when the devs get around to it.
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    To change it would require a club 47 amount of time. I think there are a lot more important features which need an art pass than the starbase interior.
    Let's not forget about how that new Club 47 still has not been finished. :rolleyes:
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2014
    There is no plan to my knowledge, to update/redo the Starbase interiors.

One issue that pops to mind, is that you've all unlocked a ton of stuff on your interior as it is today. If we rebuilt the interior to match the 2410 style, either some of those would have to go away, or everything we build would have to be very carefully constructed to make sure it includes every single unlock. Neither of those are prospects I like very much. . .

Also. . . does this include the Klingon Starbases? or just fed?

lindaleff wrote: »
    Let's not forget about how that new Club 47 still has not been finished. :rolleyes:

Soon. Been working on it for the past month.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    llywarchllywarch Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »

One issue that pops to mind, is that you've all unlocked a ton of stuff on your interior as it is today. If we rebuilt the interior to match the 2410 style, either some of those would have to go away, or everything we build would have to be very carefully constructed to make sure it includes every single unlock. Neither of those are prospects I like very much. . .

I would hope the Klingon base would get a pass too if the Federation base did but I was mostly thinking Federation since the 2410 art style is so different then it was when the starbase was originally done.

Thanks for letting us know though Taco. Always good to know whats going on behind the scenes.

EDIT: >.> Although it might be nice to update the uniform wall with the new Oddy uniform.
  • Options
    admiralcarteradmiralcarter Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Well the OPS Section of the Starbase is fine. The Lower Decks could need love. They just seem to be generic Corridors with no sense or at least Starbase feel.

AFAIK no visual stuff is unlocked on the lower decks. Just make the lower decks more aligned to the exterior oh and easier to navigate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Star Trek Online Intro HD [3rd Fleet Anniversary]

• Options
    admlanceladmlancel Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I would love to see the art updated for Player Starbases, though I know there must be a lot of problems with this due to all the projects. There are a few compromises I have in mind:

Compromise 1: Instead of a full update, use a new "2410 Update" Starbase project, which would replace the interior with a new 2410 styling with the understanding and disclaimer that not all projects will carry over. Maybe the old areas could still be accessible via turbolift.

Compromise 2: To save from having to implement all the features, add a "2410 Update" Starbase project that instead by default has all the projects implemented in it BUT is only available if you have unlocked all other projects. ... Yes, I guess even the Tribbles, though maybe they could be in more tasteful places than everywhere. >.>

I would dearly love to see a 2410 Fleet Starbase upgrade, really. <.<
  • Options
    bobsled624bobsled624 Member Posts: 267 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    warpedcore wrote: »
    Agreed, completely. The interior of the base is a vital component to role players. Even if its just a copy paste of the ESD interior, it would make for a far more interesting stage.

Not to mention Romulan style bases. ;)

I have to agree with Corris (cos he's mah boss :P) I've been RPing for a little over 8 months now, and though the ship interiors are great, the lower decks of the Starbase need a little love. A segragated Sickbay, a Station Commander's office (Kenzi and Corris would love you forever for this), A brig. Even an engineering section that didn't seem so...small....

Anything like this would be awesome!

Captain Mark Shranz | bIng 'aj Ro'Tal | erei'Riov Koval tr'Liun

"Your fun is not wrong" -Jeremy Randal@borticuscryptic

Proud Member of the Operational Support (Bug Hunter) Team
  • Options
    chase401chase401 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Let's not invest in new art at all, then =)

What about allowing a fleet to use an ESD interior costume? Could we invest in a major, T5 starbase project that would allow us to beam into our own version of ESD? Perhaps take the Admiral Quinn nameplate off the door as the only change?

Having access to amazing maps to RP on is something that drives many of us, and many of us would ignore the tribbles, holiday holograms, lonely DJ interior upgrades for something like this.

Something to ponder... fully understood there's a million priorities out there.

Thanks for the consideration, and the discussion, everyone!
    Rear Admiral Jennifer N. Hunter (@highwire)
    "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams" - Eleanor Roosevelt
  • Options
    rhazedurilerhazedurile Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Personally, I would gladly give up the Holiday holograms, annoying Tribbles, lonely DJ Station and even some of the other enhancements if it meant getting a new look to match the 2410 art style.

As others have suggested, I'd make it a new starbase project. Why not make the new style be a Tier 6 Starbase project since we now have Tier 6 starships?

Something I'd really like to see is player starbase maps in the Foundry. I know it may not be possible to copy all details from every fleet starbase map, but a base map based on player starbases would open up a lot of potential for missions in the Foundry.

Alternatively, if we can't get that, how about a few Foundry triggers on starbases so we can key off Foundry missions from our starbases?

But, reallly, I would very much like to see the 2410 style applied to player starbases.
    dZWjlSs.jpg
  • Options
    jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    exchange on fleet base would be epic pls make it sooooooo
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I hope we get time lapse gifs again. :3

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    While we're engaging in Fleet Starbase-related wishful thinking, I'd love to see the proper 2410 LCARS applied to the consoles in the Federation starbase...
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    commanderzekellcommanderzekell Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    /Endorse

This would be awesome to see. It doesn't even need to be a complete art renovation. It could small [ while probably still some work on your side, Taco ] as changing the carpeting, wall texture, tables and chairs for a start. Things could stay in the same place for now. Just -some- sort of update to things.