test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I figured it out

prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
Recently I was having an issue with the game getting to the character select screen and going black, rendering the game impossible to play.

Taking aside the two major issues that need to be fixed BEFORE anything else (nerfing combat pets, as an example): the massive memory leak and lag... it seems Cryptic has another issue: compatibility. I run WIN7. Upon reflection I realized that the issue of the black screen began after a system patch for Windows. I attempted many fixes, including reinstalling the entire game, and nothing... then discovered it was having a conflict with the most recent service pack.

I right-clicked on m,y desktop icon, went into properties, then the compatibility tab and ran a scan to be sure and bingo. Had to revert back to Service Pack 2.

This won't solve every issue that players are having in the game. Those issues have to be fixed in-house by Cryptic. However, if you are having odd issues, I strongly suggest you run a compatibility check for yourself. Ever since I did Ive been able to log in and play again.

Cheers
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
Post edited by prierin on

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    you should double check to make sure your windows install is working correctly.... I also run Win 7... and that problem doesn't exist for me.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    Same here, I've run windows 7 for a while now. Even had to do a fresh install last week and I've never had an issue. The last issue with the screen and/or graphics was down to a rogue beta graphics driver from Nvidia.4
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    EDIT: misread.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The OP isn't suggesting any kind of rollback on your Windows install. You are misunderstanding. What he said was, right click the STO icon on your desktop (or the actual exe file in your install directory) and choose Properties. From there, under Compatibility Mode, change the setting to Service Pack 2. That doesn't change anything with your Windows install, it just tells the computer to run the program as if the PC was still operating ONLY up to SP2.

My PC also runs Win7, and I am having no black screen issues. I do have the same memory leak issues occasionally as have been reported, and I too suffer the same periodic server packet loss and disconnects as a lot of people. Thanks to the OP's suggestion, should I start to encounter the character select black screen issue, I will know what to try first to correct it.
    18EOWbV.jpg

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tiekosora wrote: »
    The OP isn't suggesting any kind of rollback on your Windows install. You are misunderstanding. What he said was, right click the STO icon on your desktop (or the actual exe file in your install directory) and choose Properties. From there, under Compatibility Mode, change the setting to Service Pack 2. That doesn't change anything with your Windows install, it just tells the computer to run the program as if the PC was still operating ONLY up to SP2.

My PC also runs Win7, and I am having no black screen issues. I do have the same memory leak issues occasionally as have been reported, and I too suffer the same periodic server packet loss and disconnects as a lot of people. Thanks to the OP's suggestion, should I start to encounter the character select black screen issue, I will know what to try first to correct it.

You're right: I misread.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • zzzspina01zzzspina01 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    im running win 8 and I've never had the blank screen issue. but i get a lot of lag, jumb back and log outs. people are saying its my ISP. but im not the only one with these issues.
    I cant brain I have the dumb
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If I'm reading the op post right in having a blank black screen issue it happens at random times in the game but seams to happen a lot more doing the new petrol missions.
    I'll have to try this fix out 2moz when I have time to log on.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Correct.

If I am the only one having the black screen o' nothing issue then good. That means it's definately on my end, which is what I suspect. Altering the compatibility of the program to run with SP2 seems to work, but I suspect the overlaying issue is multifaceted.

First, I need a new graphics card. Period. This is entirely my issue and will be resolved.

However, the memory leak, etc. Cryptic needs to get on the ball and get that fixed. From what I understand this is an old issue that they have resolved in the past. Theoretically they should have a jumping off pint to get it resolved now. I strongly suspect the lag and dropout issues for most will resolve if they can get this particular issue fixed.

I'd like to see a HOLD on new content, updates, etc. until the mem leak issue at least is resolved. There's no sense in bringing out new content if a large portion of your playerbase can’t enjoy it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,214 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    zzzspina01 wrote: »
    im running win 8 and I've never had the blank screen issue. but i get a lot of lag, jumb back and log outs. people are saying its my ISP. but im not the only one with these issues.

They could be having ISP issues as well. If it happened to one person it could happen to another.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hey OP, something that has helped in other games, is to make sure all of your drivers are up to date. Years ago when I played Everquest, I was having the exact black screen issue you are experiencing here. After going round and round on the tech support forums I was told to update only my sound drivers. As strange as it sounded, it worked.
    18EOWbV.jpg

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
    edited November 2014
    Hey OP, something that has helped in other games, is to make sure all of your drivers are up to date. Years ago when I played Everquest, I was having the exact black screen issue you are experiencing here. After going round and round on the tech support forums I was told to update only my sound drivers. As strange as it sounded, it worked.

Yeah, I have.... multiple times, unfortunatley. It was one of the first things I checked.

But thanks for the tip :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Stupid question...

But, what SP2?

I run Windows 7 Service Pack 1 - I have no other Windows 7 SP versions.
    Only things that show up for SP2 is Vista or XP - and I'm not sure they would help :confused:

So, what SP2 are you using? as Win7 does not have a service pack 2 or higher (not according to my windows update).
    edited November 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    Stupid question...

But, what SP2?

I run Windows 7 Service Pack 1 - I have no other Windows 7 SP versions.
    Only things that show up for SP2 is Vista or XP - and I'm not sure they would help :confused:

So, what SP2 are you using? as Win7 does not have a service pack 2 or higher (not according to my windows update).

Good question…

Upon reflection, I had to change the compatibility to Win XP Service Pack 2 to get it to work for some reason. Not entirely sure why, to be honest. All I know is that it works.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    Good question…

Upon reflection, I had to change the compatibility to Win XP Service Pack 2 to get it to work for some reason. Not entirely sure why, to be honest. All I know is that it works.

Cheers for the answer, I had a feeling it was XP SP2 you were on about.

Must be some feature being unloaded when you run the game in that mode. Perhaps it turns off the Aero Desktop features maybe? Or drops some settings to low so it frees up more RAM or CPU for the game.

In my humble opinion, Windows XP SP2 was the best ever windows version ever made. You could throw anything at it and it kept going.