test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

what happened 25 years ago?

wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Ten Forward
yeeeep, the total awesomeness!!!! one of the most trekkish moments in history if ya ask me!!! :)

what am i talking about? (germans are out on this one. keep quiet lol)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ah yes, this was an important moment. Thanks for the reminder. :)
    I hope to get a wall of answers.
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Gorbachev complied with Reagan's request...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Gorbachev complied with Reagan's request...

not in particular, but somehow yeah :D... close :)...

here's a photo with "that guy" in "that moment" ;)
  • Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    That poor cat. So inspiring, definitely worth remembering his sacrifice.

I do actually know the real answer but it happened two years before I was born, so the whole thing is kind of abstract to me.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    That poor cat. So inspiring, definitely worth remembering his sacrifice.

I do actually know the real answer but it happened two years before I was born, so the whole thing is kind of abstract to me.

nvm, dude :D.... i've been 8 years old and still remember those pictures on our tv. i did not get what happened by then, but it had had it's impact and had been very impressive. still when i see those pictures it's like a pure FLAAAASH :).

...and today there are many pictuers on the matter in german tv lol.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I was 11 and in the US so I had a rudimentary understanding of what was going on and that it was part of a much larger series of events in motion at that time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    Ah yes, this was an important moment. Thanks for the reminder. :)
    I hope to get a wall of answers.

can see what ya did there :)
    I was 11 and in the US so I had a rudimentary understanding of what was going on and that it was part of a much larger series of events in motion at that time.

so very true. though i'm out for a very important and particular moment within that motion that happened today, 25 years ago. one may could say "IT'S A FAAAKE" :D...
  • Options
    genesisdvsngenesisdvsn Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Remember it well, i was 12 at the time.....Also remember my favourite band "Pink Floyd" wrote a song about it, with another epic guitar solo from Dave.
    Official Joining Date Feb 2010.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Remember it well, i was 12 at the time.....Also remember my favourite band "Pink Floyd" wrote a song about it, with another epic guitar solo from Dave.

I remember an episode of Alvin and the Chipmunks where they were hoping this event would some day come about. I imagine it was well received in Brandenburg. Unless it was walled off by the censors by a broadcasting gate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    The cold war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire came to an end after the explosion of Praxis, assassination of Gorkon, and the Kitomer Accords...

What's a 'real life'?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    ransom2375ransom2375 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    7000 today :cool:

I was 6 at the time and in West-Germany. Dont remember it happening at the time, but it was a real big thing for our country. I would have not met some people otherwise. :)
    Star Trek Online: Foundry 02.12.2010 - 11.04.2019
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    David Hasselhoff was crowned King Of Germany?

But seriously, It was the beginning of the end to the Cold War, and it was an awesome way to end a interesting decade.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    ransom2375 wrote: »
    7000 today :cool:

I was 6 at the time and in West-Germany. Dont remember it happening at the time, but it was a real big thing for our country. I would have not met some people otherwise. :)

... there they go :)
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    25 years ago i was almost 2 years old, so no way i would understand back then. however one of the first things i do remember when i was young was watching the 1998 spa gp race, what an epic start! :P.

anyways, the wall falling doesnt mean much to me in all that time.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    ussberlinussberlin Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    My Country was murdered :D by some people that thought they can go everywere without money.

Was to young as it happend under 10. But if it whould not i whould not play Star Trek Online now and might not even have a PC so its fine that it happend.

But there are so much more Walls that have to go down, the walls between rich and poor the wall in Palestina, the Wall between US and Mexico and the Wall between Korea.
    18 Cpt on the way to 60: 14 of them are already 50 or over 50, one is 60 and 3 almost 43
    Subscribed For: 4 years 5 months 20 days at 26.10.2014
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Was pretty wild for me. I was in college at the time, and seeing history happen in real time was something relatively new to me... but in this case, welcome.

Actually, what I remember even better is when Hungary opened its border with Austria - which meant the Iron Curtain had suddenly sprung a leak. It seemed like the whole Warsaw Pact would empty out in a matter of weeks, as everyone who could make a break for it did. (A SNL skit at the time had an East German version of "The Hollywood Squares" grinding to a halt as most of the celebrities, the host and the contestants defected mid-program.)
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,989 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Not just the wall came down, but the communist governments of eastern Europe came toppling down
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      edited November 2014
      Not just the wall came down, but the communist governments of eastern Europe came toppling down

not to forget the polish people started "the motion"! (solidarnoscz) ;)... and yep, that day has been like the big turning point. though the answer i was out for not got dropped yet :D...
    • Options
      edited November 2014
      wast33 wrote: »
      *** though the answer i was out for not got dropped yet :D...

1989 (Taylor Swift album)

Taylor was born i hope you dont mean

ok i think i found it http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098382/ but thats one of the worst ST Movies
      18 Cpt on the way to 60: 14 of them are already 50 or over 50, one is 60 and 3 almost 43
    • Options
      edited November 2014
      ussberlin wrote: »
      1989 (Taylor Swift album)

Taylor was born i hope you dont mean

ok i think i found it http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098382/ but thats one of the worst ST Movies

...i think u missed the 9th of novembre about 7 days :P... but nice accident lol :D...
    • Options
      starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      How would know? I was less than a year old. :D
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • Options
      edited November 2014
      starswordc wrote: »
      How would know? I was less than a year old. :D

u know, on star treks 30th anniversary i bought a hoodie printed with: "to know the future is to experience the past" :D;)...
    • Options
      gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
      edited November 2014
    • Options
      jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,370 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      On December 21, 1989, my discharge from the US Air Force finally came through (it had been stuck on a desk at HQAF for six months - that's what I get for having a TS-ESI clearance and catching a discharge for "unsuited for service - not otherwise specified", as the DSM-IV and its criteria for Asperger's Syndrome were still five years in the future).
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    • Options
      edited November 2014
      gfreeman98 wrote: »

yeah, again.... as imptortant his influence may was, not out for reagan lol.... u never heard of someone called schabowsky, his lil' mistake and the uncoordinated luck we had afterwards in which no one had a clue what to do, did ya?! :D

indeed on 9th nov the most scared side has been the western allies (most didn't want a united germany). if just the nva-bodertroops had been too scared, if the soviets/gorbi would have been scared.... i guess u'll get the (bloody) picture ;)....

to conclude:
      i just love this day because it's one of the coincidences in history in which the events took the best possible way. and the other way really could have led to, as many times before and afterwards, dooooom/total doom....
      that makes it very trekkish to me.

what was i'm out for:
      schabowsky was the one to read the new ddr travel-law for the press. it was planned to release that on the 10th of november under controlled circumstances.
      he made the mistake not being informed (lol) about that 10th november thingie, so he said it's instantly. no borderstation, nor any other of the ddr institutions had been informed, it was a total surprise for everyone.
      then the people went to the borderstations in masses and the release began. in a situtation one more likely would expect from such a regime to not tear walls down, but to pwn the own people (as happened many times in the cold war, just like before and afterwards).
      the man to thank in this regard in the end is no one but gorbi. he was the one with the finger on the trigger he didn't pull! :)
    • Options
      gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      wast33 wrote: »
      yeah, again.... as imptortant his influence may was, not out for reagan lol.... u never heard of someone called schabowsky, his lil' mistake and the uncoordinated luck we had afterwards in which no one had a clue what to do, did ya?!
      Actually I have read the story of Harald J
      screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
    • Options
      edited November 2014
      And some tell it already startet with RUS in Afganisten in the end we never know.

Some say that WW1 and WW2 are one Big 30 year War.

Some thing Kennedy was shot because Fidel Castro wanted him dead some thing it was the CIA some think it was the one that they got for it.

Some think that the USA were never on the Moon.

And i thought your are looking for a Star Trek Event in 1989. "one of the most trekkish moments in history"

In the end it does not really matter who did what, its all History now.

And in 1000 Years no one really will know enough about this like we dont know what happen 1000 or 2000 or more years ago on ower Planet.
    • Options
      edited November 2014
      lmaorofl :D... dudes.... it's ok.... u can celebrate a certain date in history together with others, though u don't have to. u can feel certain moments in history as "trekkish", i really don't force u to have that feeling on the same occasions as me.
      feel free to start a thread on every single celebration day or action/declaration from any american or whatsoever statesman there ever was, or of any religion/happening/whatever.

i really don't care what reagan may contributed to get there, he did not went to the wall on 9th of november 1989. and that is what this thread is about: the wall and all what happened around it on that day 25 years ago. not before, nor after.

i gift u this thread now. feel free to drop whatever :D... have a nice day.

btw: thx for dropping j
    • Options
      haskanaelevahaskanaeleva Member Posts: 70 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      ussberlin wrote: »
      And some tell it already startet with RUS in Afganisten in the end we never know.

Some say that WW1 and WW2 are one Big 30 year War.

Some thing Kennedy was shot because Fidel Castro wanted him dead some thing it was the CIA some think it was the one that they got for it.

Some think that the USA were never on the Moon.

And i thought your are looking for a Star Trek Event in 1989. "one of the most trekkish moments in history"

In the end it does not really matter who did what, its all History now.

And in 1000 Years no one really will know enough about this like we dont know what happen 1000 or 2000 or more years ago on ower Planet.

those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it.
    • Options
      jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,370 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it.
      ...in summer school.
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png