test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why are STO servers consistently the worst of every game I play?

forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 212 Arc User
Yes, I know, there are dozens of 'server is wonky' threads being put up right now.

I would like some info on WHY it is that special events, regular gameplay, even their own Livestreams and product launch events are CONSISTENTLY ruined by what they call 'internet connectivity issues'.

It's not terribly hard to figure out that if your internet provider CANNOT provide you with a reliable connection, you cancel your damn account with them and find someone who can.

Someone who puts words like "guaranteed up-time" in their service contract.

(Note: the rock-bottom lowest price provider probably isn't your wisest choice.)

If it isn't their provider, but their own servers, then I guess all the money we throw at Cryptic/PWE isn't being very well used, since no matter how much content you release it's no good if I can't stay online reliably.

This is not an industry issue either, or 'just the way things work'. I play World of Tanks, MechWarror Online, Secret World, even some LotRO occasionally - none of them drop your account like STO does.

If anyone has any info or links regarding the cause of STO's connection issues, or especially anything we as paying members can do about it, I would love to see them.

Maybe they can be encouraged to get a competitive connection somehow.
Post edited by forcemajeure on

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It's not terribly hard to figure out that if your internet provider CANNOT provide you with a reliable connection, you cancel your damn account with them and find someone who can.

Assuming that's an option (practically or economically). The world doesn't always cater to impulsive consumer entitlement, you sometimes have to make do.

If anyone has any info or links regarding the cause of STO's connection issues, or especially anything we as paying members can do about it, I would love to see them.

Anecdotally, whenever I've found an issue connecting to STO during a period "network issues" its at a certain point outside of their ISP (Cogent) and mine. I can't say how universal this result is, but AT&T refusing to play ball with other companies over network traffic volume could perhaps have immediate consequences here (and good luck to any one game dev trying to circumvent them.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    PWE REFUSES to upgrade their servers. They have a lot of games and you'd think they would eventually...but that costs money. If they spend money they won't be able to line their pockets with it. Their bottom line is all that matters, not the quality of their product. It's pretty pathetic when a company is so profit driven they won't even invest in themselves.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Too much APB, debuffed the connections to failure.
  • geckoisalizardgeckoisalizard Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well in protest to this and DR in general, I'm downloading SWTOR, and will log in STO once in awhile, and will never give cryptic money till the game is fixed.

hehe fixed, so that means never. I'd be happy to go to season 6, and remove all this new garbage.
  • deviantwardeviantwar Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Another Day another bunch of dc,s can Cryptic help use meager players who cannot stay online long enough to finish the Mirror Invasion Event today by giving us the token from it so we dont miss a day .And if they cant ?can they explain why?
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Because you don't play enough games. I've seen far worse.
    edited November 2014
    deviantwar wrote: »
    Another Day another bunch of dc,s can Cryptic help use meager players who cannot stay online long enough to finish the Mirror Invasion Event today by giving us the token from it so we dont miss a day .And if they cant ?can they explain why?

"Please pay 500 zen to continue, you can earn free zen! Unfortunately we can't let you continue nor give away any items as that will effect our bottom dollar.

Did you know its Junior Officer weekend? Play this exciting event and get another useless battery doff that you probably have a collection of"
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Neverwinter is also down. I dunno...maybe the hamsters just needed a break for a while.
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • ogariousogarious Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Folks, this is not a STO only server problem. From what is being posted in the Neverwinter forums this is a DDOS attack. Neverwinter, STO, and Champions online share the same mainframe. Which "supposibly" is being attacked right now.

So all gameplay across all 3 games is being affected. I dont know anyone playing in APB so I cant say if that game is having issues as well.

As for why this is happening. This is not for me to comment on. I wont tell you what I've been reading, you can go find that out for yourself on one of the two other game forums.

What I can report to you is that it does not appear to be a failure of PWI/Cryptic's hardware or software. Not that I am defending these guys.

The fact that we are hearing nothing from the people at PWI/Cryptic really doesnt make me happy. For that I will lay blame on them. But then again, honesty and openness has never been the Cryptic way, has it.
  • captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Atleast its not as bad as EverQuest 2 where just zoning would cause crashing, and that I still don't know how long it took to wait at the toon select screen till it would let me back in(disconnected avatars would just stand still a while till they vanished).
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ogarious wrote: »
    Folks, this is not a STO only server problem. From what is being posted in the Neverwinter forums this is a DDOS attack. Neverwinter, STO, and Champions online share the same mainframe.

HAHA Serves PW right. They pissed off the wrong hacker. I'm not saying the hacker (or whoever) is in the right. I just think it's karmic justice for PWE to be cyber attacked.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
    edited November 2014
    DDoS? If true, thats hilarious and serves them right. Not that I condone actions like this.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Folks, this is not a STO only server problem. From what is being posted in the Neverwinter forums this is a DDOS attack. Neverwinter, STO, and Champions online share the same mainframe. Which "supposibly" is being attacked right now.

So all gameplay across all 3 games is being affected. I dont know anyone playing in APB so I cant say if that game is having issues as well.

As for why this is happening. This is not for me to comment on. I wont tell you what I've been reading, you can go find that out for yourself on one of the two other game forums.

What I can report to you is that it does not appear to be a failure of PWI/Cryptic's hardware or software. Not that I am defending these guys.

The fact that we are hearing nothing from the people at PWI/Cryptic really doesnt make me happy. For that I will lay blame on them. But then again, honesty and openness has never been the Cryptic way, has it.

They've been posting in the stickied thread about it
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Didn't I just post in this thread? Oh wait, that was the other one...not the last one, but the one before that, 8 rows down from the top.
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • ogariousogarious Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You do realize that hackers wait until offices are closed to do these types of harassment because fewer people are at work and the disruption will last longer. Having people on call 24/7 to combat hackers is expensive as hell.

Well, while I can see not doing that. Still, someone should be monitoring things all the time. This is a million dollar if not billion dollar company. At least have some sort of program set up that if something starts going off the norm someone gets a automated phone call. hell, the security cameras for the community my dad lives at has that and the system was bought through Amazon.com. lol
  • catjarrettcatjarrett Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I agree with you 100%, mainly how this is the bed they've made. Perhaps they've finally had a situation where they can say, "hey, not our fault, guys", but their history (especially recent history) of treating the player base like tools is definitely working against them. For a few folks this is the proverbial straw. *shrug* They'll get their act together or they won't.
  • michaeljloosmichaeljloos Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    dfsgsdfhgfsdhgfdjhdfgjjdgf