test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Kazon added as a playable race?

cadenphoenixcadenphoenix Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Ten Forward
I'm a huge fan of the Voyager series and I always thought that the Kazon's would fit in well within the Klingon Empire. So it got me thinking, what if they became a playable race for the KDF on STO? It seems like the Federation always gets new races, bridge designs and uniform designs to add to their ever growing forces. Wheres the Love for the Klingons and the Romulans? :confused:
Post edited by cadenphoenix on

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Why would the Klingons want them? There are far better races that the Klingons can use.
  • cadenphoenixcadenphoenix Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well which ones would you like to see as a playable race for the Klingons? I thought the Kazons because they are a nomadic warrior race.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    NO!!!

NONONONONONONONONO!!!!!

The Kazon are so pathetic not even the BORG want them! Their culture is so hilariously backwards and their fighters so unbelievably moronic and incompetent that the Klingons would see them, laugh in their faces, and exterminate them.

See, Klingons value courage, strength, tactical skill, and honor. The Kazon value killing things--any things. The Klingons would see the Kazon as honorless and despicable savages, and would see their oppression of women as both stupid and disgusting (since every Klingon knows that the more badass your wife is the stronger your kids will be, oppressing women like the Kazon do is so mind-blowingly stupid that it counts as multiple reasons to exterminate the Kazon.

Best-case scenario (for the Kazon), the Klingons kill most of the Kazon and enslave the rest. The Klingons have never really seemed terribly keen on slaving, but I'm pretty sure that even guys like Worf would make an exception for the Kazon.
    edited November 2014
    LOL!!! Your probably right on this subject. I just wish that Factions other then the Federation would get some love. Yes the Kazon are a laughable race in terms to the Klingons and other races aligned with them. The Delta Quadrant only got to see the Federation ideals when Voyager tore through it. What if it was a Klingon ship that went through. Now that we're back in the Delta Quadrant, who knows?
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Excuse me. The Kazon are the species that fights interstellar wars over water, right? One of the most common molecules in the universe if you have starships?

Why the hell would the Klingons want jegh'pu'wI that rock-stupid? They were only ever a threat to Voyager when they outnumbered Janeway three to one. They're at best a pain in the TRIBBLE to civilian shipping lines, not a credible threat to any regular military.

Better to dig into old FASA sourcebooks and come up with new playable species that don't look and act like Cabbage Patch Kids on steroids.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well if the KDF want the Kazon it only seems fair. the feds already have the Pakleds. It wouldn't be fair to the KDF if they couldn't have their own dead end race.

Besides this might ease the tension between the KDF player base and Cryptic as they claim the Feddies get everything.
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    *Laughs.*

Well, they did make those laughably inept Talaxians into a playable race so maybe the OP isn't far out on this one.

*Snortle.*

Must be something in the water in the Delta Quadrant that produces such idiotic races.
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    OP - Please don't suggest this. We KDF are overlooked and downtrodden already, we don't need the Kazon as well.
    edited November 2014
    even the talaxians had water problems and the Kazon ships didn't have replicators. Beside it was only on that planet that the water was scarce because the Caretaker hid the water underground. We don't know what circumstances were going on before voyager got there. Lets not forget that the kazon liberated themselves from slavery. They were treated poorly and they were taught to fight among themselves so that all the know. They are however very adaptible and they are always looking for a way to beat out the other sects so the possibility of a sect aligning themselves with the Romulans or the Klingons can still be a factor. there is to much hatred for the Federation from them because of voyager and so they wouldn't really work well with them.
  • woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'd love to see the Kazon as playable and/or bridge officer species.

Besides, the Kazon look a lot like the Klingons. They would fit in just well.
    Leipzig University, 1409-2409
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I would definitely like a Kazon species. I already have the Kazon raider on all of my KDF characters:)
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    woerligen wrote: »
    They would fit in just well.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about?
  • sanokskyratsanokskyrat Member Posts: 479 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    You know 2 things bug me we about Voyager.

1. If the Kazon dont have water? Why are they all not died. I mean sure you can go with a long time with out food... but water? How do they make it flying around in space. There alot of space in space. and you got no resources.... like i don't know, maybe water. Your not going to last long.

2. The Ocampa can only have 1 child one in there life time. Again why are they not died!? here was i mean. You got 200 Ocampa. 100 females, 100 males. ALL lest say have children. Again lets say 50/50 boys and girls. They grow up and they all have children, that's only 25. IT WOULD NEVER WORK! They would have died out! And i say good too because any life form that made that a trait goes against the need to survivor and should die out!

(Just to be clear I don't support killing a race off for any reason. But this is by design and bad writers who didn't thinks through).
    1368747308047.cached_zpsl4joalbs.jpg
    edited November 2014
    Well I wouldn't go so far as to say they look like the Klingons. The Klingons can't be matched in anyway because they are the Klingons. Their philosophy is unique and admirable. The Kazon's are a weak race yes but they have potential. With Klingon guidance they could become worthy allies and a very dangerous adversary to the Federation.
  • admiralcarteradmiralcarter Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This Planet smells... it must be the Kazons. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Star Trek Online Intro HD [3rd Fleet Anniversary]

edited November 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    Do you have any idea what you are talking about?
    You know 2 things bug me we about Voyager.

1. If the Kazon dont have water? Why are they all not died. I mean sure you can go with a long time with out food... but water? How do they make it flying around in space. There alot of space in space. and you got no resources.... like i don't know, maybe water. Your not going to last long.

2. The Ocampa can only have 1 child one in there life time. Again why are they not died!? here was i mean. You got 200 Ocampa. 100 females, 100 males. ALL lest say have children. Again lets say 50/50 boys and girls. They grow up and they all have children, that's only 25. IT WOULD NEVER WORK! They would have died out! And i say good too because any life form that made that a trait goes against the need to survivor and should die out!

(Just to be clear I don't support killing a race off for any reason. But this is by design and bad writers who didn't thinks through).

A fare assessment. the Kazon sects each have a commodity that they control. Water was accessible but not very accessible. all everyone is going off of is one sect of the Kazon. The other sects within the series seemed to be doing very well and nothing about water was mentioned after that fact.

I never thought about the flaw in the Ocampa. Though there were other Ocampa who did not stay in the their home world so they would live on.
  • tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    NO Kazon in the KDF!

'Nuff said.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    even the talaxians had water problems and the Kazon ships didn't have replicators. Beside it was only on that planet that the water was scarce because the Caretaker hid the water underground. We don't know what circumstances were going on before voyager got there. Lets not forget that the kazon liberated themselves from slavery. They were treated poorly and they were taught to fight among themselves so that all the know. They are however very adaptible and they are always looking for a way to beat out the other sects so the possibility of a sect aligning themselves with the Romulans or the Klingons can still be a factor. there is to much hatred for the Federation from them because of voyager and so they wouldn't really work well with them.

Here's the deal with water: you don't need replicators to produce water.
    You need oxygen and hydrogen. The former is available in the atmosphere of class-M planets, even the homeworld of the ocampa. The latter can be collected in abundance around stars. And then you need the incredibly complicated and futuristic device called "hydrogen fuel cell" which produces electricty and *drumrolls* WATER.;)
    And you can't seriously tell me these guys know how to produce antimatter, which requires large amounts of hydrogen as well, but don't know how to combine it with oxygen unless they are stupid beyond comparison.

Besides: if you have FTL-capable spaceships all you need to do to get water is to go somewhere else. And even that is economically questionable given you need to burn lots of antimatter to get somewhere when you can just as easily produce it within any solar system that has a planet with oxygen in the atmosphere.
    edited November 2014
    misterde3 wrote: »
    You need oxygen and hydrogen. The former is available in the atmosphere of class-M planets, even the homeworld of the ocampa. The latter can be collected in abundance around stars. And then you need the incredibly complicated and futuristic device called "hydrogen fuel cell" which produces electricty and *drumrolls* WATER.;)
    And you can't seriously tell me these guys know how to produce antimatter, which requires large amounts of hydrogen as well, but don't know how to combine it with oxygen unless they are stupid beyond comparison.

Besides: if you have FTL-capable spaceships all you need to do to get water is to go somewhere else. And even that is economically questionable given you need to burn lots of antimatter to get somewhere when you can just as easily produce it within any solar system that has a planet with oxygen in the atmosphere.

Your still only looking at one sect of the Kazon, not the the whole. Look at the Talaxians as well, Neelix asked for water in payment for his services. He did not have the capability of producing it. either. Yet Talaxians are playable with both the Federation and the Klingons (which leaves out the Romulans again)? So Cryptic isn't afraid of adding "useless" races to the game.
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Who wants to play a character that has a mop on its head?
    edited November 2014
    tucana66 wrote: »
    NO Kazon in the KDF!

'Nuff said.

Then what race is acceptable to join the Klingon empire? the Federation continues to grow larger with many races joining them. sooner or later the Klingons will be out numbered and, though they would put up one hell of a fight, would lose just by sheer numbers. The Klingons and the Romulans are just an after thought in this game. The federation has so much more and now all the missions are really geared around the Federation. There is no Klingon/Romulan specific mission now in the Delta Quadrant. I'm mainly Romulan focused and I am getting tired of the Federation getting everything.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    when i mentioned in the nop public channel the other day "talaxian captain maxis, at your service" in the chat bar, someone laughed and stated i lost my dignity in the process.

i would play a kazon if it came just because it would be super cool wondering around being cursed at and taking a perverse delight in it :P.

i can imagine boff kazon, or a doff, but playable kazon? kazon dont like uniforms, they dont like rules or regulations, it comes as the trabe locked the kazon in chains for generations, there is no way many kazon would follow the federations and the klingons like that.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited November 2014
    when i mentioned in the nop public channel the other day "talaxian captain maxis, at your service" in the chat bar, someone laughed and stated i lost my dignity in the process.

i would play a kazon if it came just because it would be super cool wondering around being cursed at and taking a perverse delight in it :P.

i can imagine boff kazon, or a doff, but playable kazon? kazon dont like uniforms, they dont like rules or regulations, it comes as the trabe locked the kazon in chains for generations, there is no way many kazon would follow the federations and the klingons like that.

LoL, yeah the Talaxians are the Jar'Jar Binks of Star Trek. "All Hail Maxis" Captain Dex "Talaxian Captain of U.S.S. Rinax"
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Your still only looking at one sect of the Kazon, not the the whole.

Nope, actually I'm not.:) Please keep this line from "Caretaker" in mind:

NEELIX: [...] Kazon sects control this part of the quadrant. Some have food, some have ore, some have water. They all trade and they all kill each other for it.

So they're all on the same level when it comes to water: they trade it and they kill each other for it.
    Look at the Talaxians as well, Neelix asked for water in payment for his services. He did not have the capability of producing it. either. Yet Talaxians are playable with both the Federation and the Klingons (which leaves out the Romulans again)? So Cryptic isn't afraid of adding "useless" races to the game.

We never saw the Talaxians as a civilization, we mostly saw isolated individuals of them anside from "Homestead".
    And that Talaxian colony, where Neelix left the ship, was on an asteroid and yet it didn't have any water shortages. So it seems those Talaxians didn't have any problem with it.
    And that Neelix didn't have the capability to prduce water is far more understandable than the Kazon for another reason: please keep in mind that Neelix' ship could fit into Voyager's shuttlebay while the Kazon control whole star systems.;)
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    misterde3 wrote: »

Hell, you don't even need hydrogen fuel cells. You can mine it from asteroids and comets as ice and filter it.

And the OP mentioned the Pakleds? You're forgetting the canon: the Pakleds only sound stupid due to underdeveloped speech centers (i.e. they talk funny). They're actually just as smart as humans. Kazon factually are just bloody stupid.

As for where to get new jeghpu'wI'? Why not from here.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Your still only looking at one sect of the Kazon, not the the whole. Look at the Talaxians as well, Neelix asked for water in payment for his services. He did not have the capability of producing it. either. Yet Talaxians are playable with both the Federation and the Klingons (which leaves out the Romulans again)? So Cryptic isn't afraid of adding "useless" races to the game.

Yeah, and Neelix is a FLAMING incompetent.

On top of that, how the heck are the Ocampa still a species? They numbered a few thousand thirty-odd years ago, their breeding population literally halves with EACH generation at BEST, their birthing method presents a clear and present danger to not only the mother's health but also the neonate's, and to cap it all off they live only 9 years.

That's about 5 years, tops, to a generation. So about 7 generations since there were a few thousand; assuming there were about 4 thousand Ocampa left to start, that's their population down to a maximum of 31.

If we allow for the possible existence of more Ocampa to start, you're still looking at a breeding population of considerably less than a thousand in the ENTIRE UNIVERSE. How the hell is this race flying halfway across the quadrant in borrowed ships?
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    As for where to get new jeghpu'wI'? Why not from here.

Playable al'Hmatti. Do it now.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Honestly, I think the Hazari would suit the KDF a lot more. They have a professional code of honour that the Klingons would find relatable, and lets be honest, they are infinitely more competent than their Kazon neighbours. Unfortunately, the Hazari Destroyer is already a Lobi store ship, so unless Cryptic makes the Hazari cross-faction, I doubt it will ever happen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]