test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Klingon Character name

janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Klingon Discussion
Greetings,
I have noticed some KDF players have fancy long klingon names which include ' , - etc. I have tried STO and STO Academy name generators, but did not came out with anything I have seen. Is there any different klingon name generator or you have to be fluent in the klingon language.
Thanks

In-game handle @Janetza
Post edited by janetza#4790 on

Comments

• Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There are a lot of sources for Klingon names. I'm aware of some that are random and create names that "sound" Klingon but the results probably don't have any basis in canon. Because of this you will probably see some variation from one randomizer to another.

If you are interested you could check out Memory Alpha. They have list of Klingon characters that have appeared throughout the franchise so these ones would be be valid as well.

I can't think any example of Klingon names in canon translating being literal translations to English from pIqad but it certainly sounds like a more Klingon name than some of the ones I've read in sector space :) .

As a disclaimer I don't speak tIhIngan so hopefully someone can provide you with a more definitive answer. These are just my best guesses.

Edit:

It's also worth stating that the names invented in the classic series preceded the invention of a Klingon language and might have been chosen to suggest eastern horse tribes or serial villains. During the development of the language these names were explained as English spellings so Kor would be qor or Kang, qeng.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Well, yes canon doesn't matter for me much. I am trying to make a name which looks klingon.)

In-game handle @Janetza
  • Options
    xandercorvusxandercorvus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    taut0u wrote: »
    Well, yes canon doesn't matter for me much. I am trying to make a name which looks klingon.)

I found a site which has a LOT of Klingon-to-English word listings on it.
    I made a Liberated Borg Klingon, and just named him the Klingon words for "Impossible Thing"...kind of a Doctor Who reference ;-)

"DuhHa'Doch"
    "Join Date: Jun 2012" Says Cryptic's "new" forum system. I've been here since a week before launch, but SOME stuff just didn't carry over through multiple system changes/updates. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    KDF keyword-names:

BAR, DAR, GAR, JAR, MAR, NAR, PAR, SAR, TAR, YAR, ZAR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You can probably google a Klingon name generator, I used one, type my name in and it spit one back out.
  • Options
    xandercorvusxandercorvus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No!
    Bing does GREAT English-Klingon translations!

www.bing.com/translator/
    "Join Date: Jun 2012" Says Cryptic's "new" forum system. I've been here since a week before launch, but SOME stuff just didn't carry over through multiple system changes/updates. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited October 2014

If my explanation came off as elitist I apologize. I'm sure anything you choose that you feel sounds Klingon will work great.
    I can't think any example of Klingon names in canon translating being literal translations to English from pIqad but it certainly sounds like a more Klingon name than some of the ones I've read in sector space .

I was referring to names like Captainspacepimp and GMoney:mad:
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2014
    If my explanation came off as elitist I apologize. I'm sure anything you choose that you feel sounds Klingon will work great.
    No, not at all, it was informative.

Thanks all for help, might have to try different name generators.

In-game handle @Janetza
  • Options
    keppoch1keppoch1 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    taut0u wrote: »
    Greetings,
    I have noticed some KDF players have fancy long klingon names which include ' , - etc. I have tried STO and STO Academy name generators, but did not came out with anything I have seen. Is there any different klingon name generator or you have to be fluent in the klingon language.
    Thanks

I have found that a good way to make a Klingon name is to come up with and odd name and replace a few vowels with the ' symbol.

Koloth becomes K'Toth
  • Options
    aliensamongusaliensamongus Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I usually follow the K' thing as being male and B' as female.

My Klingon is called K'ratok Von-Guhl, both being generated by the Cryptic name generator. Only, Von-Guhl came as a last name, so I used that and looked for a first name.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Some Klingon names you can't use. I tried that on mine, so I just added a letter so it sound similar. For my KDF Tac who is low level. I used the game's name generator. Clicked a few times and found a cool name. So that stayed.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.