test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reputation System

tarrynrextarrynrex Member Posts: 77 Arc User
I love the Rep system as it currently is. I can build up to my ground or space sets, but doesn't that just not make sense? By the time that you get the last tier of the rep, you get your last piece of gear, but then you don't have to do any more rep missions with the complete set that you've just grinded away for.

Maybe we should have the complete set by tier 4 so we can play the whole tier 5 with complete sets?
Post edited by tarrynrex on

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tarrynrex wrote: »
    I love the Rep system as it currently is. I can build up to my ground or space sets, but doesn't that just not make sense? By the time that you get the last tier of the rep, you get your last piece of gear, but then you don't have to do any more rep missions with the complete set that you've just grinded away for.

Maybe we should have the complete set by tier 4 so we can play the whole tier 5 with complete sets?

It’s an interesting paradox you point out there.

For me encountering each reput when it was released fresh the past years I have settled at a habbit of looking at the stuff you can get there well in advance and try to “only” grab that out of it which could interest me for the game aspects and star ship builds I usually pursue.

STO wiki is an awesome database for it. After they released the upgrade system and making reput items especially cost intense this seems more important than ever.

In case of Delta it probably just offers me a console Id like to have on a few toons and a costume unlock on one other.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's a silly thing all modern RPGs do, not just online or mmos but MMOs are more blatant about it. They reward only the person who needs the reward least.

Have the"best" ship in starbase 24? Congrats you get the purple gear even though the guy in last place is clearly the one who needs it, and yourejust gonna vendor it.

Beat a nasty boss or mission? Congrats, get the weapons that kills him easily. Never mind that you're in a military organization which should be issuing the gear you need before your mission, not after.

It worked a little better in more hardcore raiding games. There most members of a raid got nothing, so the group had to do it many times. Making it progressively easier had a meaningful impact on the group's experience, even if it was silly from any single player's point of view.

But to a degree sto fixes that with the fact that only one piece of any set is held back to tier 5, and many people don't use whole sets, they mix and match to get more focused benefits for their build. Plus there are fleet requisitions which are good vs anyone.

Plus, there needs to be some reward for tier 5. If they moved the gear to tier 4, I promise they'd also move all the work to u lock it there too so you get it after the same amount of grind. Then you'd have someone else posting a thread looking to move the gear to tier 3. He he.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I think the rep system is lame as he double hockey sticks. The old system of going into elites with almost nothing but mission gear was better IMHO in that you had to learn how to survive (and win) with almost nothing. Sure, there was a tiny chance you'de get an 'epic' loot drop but playing it over and over till you could do it in your sleep with junk gear to get that full set made MUCH better players.

The new rep system is just a short time gate for the same gear, most times you do a beyond easy daily for marks, and feed a project. The ONLY time you need step foot in an STF is for the really good OP pieces of set gear, but you can almost fake it with meh gear and let the other players score the win for you guaranteeing you'll eventually get you piece of gear, tho you may not have the skills to use it.

LAME
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • sindjin7sindjin7 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Is there a certain level you need to reach before the reputation missions become available?
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sindjin7 wrote: »
    Is there a certain level you need to reach before the reputation missions become available?

Level 50, until then all you will have access to are "Events" type reputation projects. Hit U, at the top of the window that pops up click on the Reputation button and this is where you can do reputation stuff.

Or did you mean something else when you say reputation *missions*?
    edited October 2014
    stonewbie wrote: »
    Level 50, until then all you will have access to are "Events" type reputation projects. Hit U, at the top of the window that pops up click on the Reputation button and this is where you can do reputation stuff.

Or did you mean something else when you say reputation *missions*?

Thank you for the reply...

I'm referring to whatever gets you the very rare ship weapon rewards.
    I was assuming it's missions that increases your reputation?
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Once you have access to reputations, you can do missions that reward reputation marks (a currency for that reputatin). you can then spend those marks on projects for the reputation. This increases your reputation and grants you access to new abilities and to equipment projects or an equipment store. (Equipment Projects are for sets, the store gets you mostly weapons.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited October 2014
    Once you have access to reputations, you can do missions that reward reputation marks (a currency for that reputatin). you can then spend those marks on projects for the reputation. This increases your reputation and grants you access to new abilities and to equipment projects or an equipment store. (Equipment Projects are for sets, the store gets you mostly weapons.)

Thank you for the clarification.
    So access to that system is granted at level 50?
  • jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Thank you for the clarification.
    So access to that system is granted at level 50?

indeed, although the event reputation unlocks at a much lower level, but is only used during seasonal events
  • strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Don't have any problems with it. Completed two of the rep systems, couple more are almost there. Always just considered it some else to do when I felt like it. :)
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Well different pieces of gear get unlocked at different tiers. To get started on getting your rep up you will want to do projects. Hit U, click on Reputation at the top and on the left will be all the different rep factions. For the purpose of these instructions click on New Romulus.

In the middle of the screen you will see a pic of a Reman male and a Romulan female. Under their pic are 6 buttons where you start projects and upgrades. Look at the Remans face now look to the right of it and you will see 4 buttons: Status, Contribute, Store and Info.

-Click on Status and you will see the different tiers. Click on the tier and in the bottom it tells you what is rewarded for reaching that tier.

-Click on Contribute and this is how you start projects to earn rep xp and projects to create special gear. There are some pieces of gear and weapons that have to be created from this button. They are pretty much specialty pieces of gear and special weapons. In the bottom right of the window you will see a list of projects you can start. There is a daily, 20 hour projects, an hourly 1 hour project both of which is what gives you your rep xp. When you select one of those it becomes your active project and you can then start adding the required materials to get it started. Further below are the projects to craft the special gear and special weapons if you have unlocked them.

-Click on Store will bring up the other items you have unlocked which can be purchased for Dilithium. This is where you will find the other rare and very rare gear and weapons for both space and ground. When you reach a new tier and unlock new gear and weapons it will be available as either a project (where you create it through Contribute) and you will see it in the store. Dont forget...the Status button tells you what weapons are unlocked at what tier.

-Click on Info to get more general info on the rep faction. Info like where can you get the marks for that faction or where you can get borg neural processors (for task force omega) and stuff like that. When you click on each rep faction just click on the info tab as well so you know where the different currencies come from.
    edited October 2014
    stonewbie wrote: »
    Well different pieces of gear get unlocked at different tiers. To get started on getting your rep up you will want to do projects. Hit U, click on Reputation at the top and on the left will be all the different rep factions. For the purpose of these instructions click on New Romulus.

In the middle of the screen you will see a pic of a Reman male and a Romulan female. Under their pic are 6 buttons where you start projects and upgrades. Look at the Remans face now look to the right of it and you will see 4 buttons: Status, Contribute, Store and Info.

-Click on Status and you will see the different tiers. Click on the tier and in the bottom it tells you what is rewarded for reaching that tier.

-Click on Contribute and this is how you start projects to earn rep xp and projects to create special gear. There are some pieces of gear and weapons that have to be created from this button. They are pretty much specialty pieces of gear and special weapons. In the bottom right of the window you will see a list of projects you can start. There is a daily, 20 hour projects, an hourly 1 hour project both of which is what gives you your rep xp. When you select one of those it becomes your active project and you can then start adding the required materials to get it started. Further below are the projects to craft the special gear and special weapons if you have unlocked them.

-Click on Store will bring up the other items you have unlocked which can be purchased for Dilithium. This is where you will find the other rare and very rare gear and weapons for both space and ground. When you reach a new tier and unlock new gear and weapons it will be available as either a project (where you create it through Contribute) and you will see it in the store. Dont forget...the Status button tells you what weapons are unlocked at what tier.

-Click on Info to get more general info on the rep faction. Info like where can you get the marks for that faction or where you can get borg neural processors (for task force omega) and stuff like that. When you click on each rep faction just click on the info tab as well so you know where the different currencies come from.

Thank you so very much! I'll check it out. Greatly appreciated!