test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which Alliance do you prefer an why?

sindjin7sindjin7 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Romulan Discussion
Greetings and Salutations,

I'm really enjoying the Romulan story. I feel I made a mistake by aligning with the Federation.
I'm only at level 12 and thinking of starting over.

I wanted to get a consensus from more experienced players though before I do.
Which alliance do you think is better for the Romulan captain and why?

Thank you very much for any input!
Post edited by sindjin7 on

Comments

• caediciuscaedicius Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, that was (somehow) discussed in the past, for example:

"Which Faction did you choose, why, and how do you like your choice?"

But anyway, it is the question what arguments fit for you. If you ask for which is best for what type of char, than I would say tacticals go good with KDF, eng. and science perhaps better with Fed. (if it comes to the question if you have the right ships to use ure abilities in the best way). Of course with a Kling.-Rom you could much more quickly farm Dilithium, thanks to raiding etc.

If it is a question of background, it depends how do you define your Romulan. Since I have a more tradition point of view, I choose Klingons (thinking with them he could harm the Federation, to balance their already huge influence).
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited October 2014
    I like the option where we're not a fraction and stand on our own... sadly thats not in game :P

more seriously I agree with caedicius, theres a few threads on the subject with good arguments for both. It boils down to your play style tho
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • sindjin7sindjin7 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I like the option where we're not a fraction and stand on our own... sadly thats not in game :P

more seriously I agree with caedicius, theres a few threads on the subject with good arguments for both. It boils down to your play style tho

Thank you! I found that thread...
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    sindjin7 wrote: »
    Greetings and Salutations,

I'm really enjoying the Romulan story. I feel I made a mistake by aligning with the Federation.
    I'm only at level 12 and thinking of starting over.

I wanted to get a consensus from more experienced players though before I do.
    Which alliance do you think is better for the Romulan captain and why?

Thank you very much for any input!

The concrete differences are: can get human boffs with Leadership (+healing) Fedside and Nausicaans with Pirate (+damage, and less than you get from a Romulan boff) KDF-side. The only other concrete difference is the costume options and that Subcommander Makus in "Memory Lane" has respectively Klingon and Fed mooks. Also, your mission giver in the "Freedom" episode is respectively either Admiral T'nae or Temek, and Frank Drake or Temek in "Spectres". And Fed fleet members get elite phasers while Klingon fleet members get elite disruptors.

Apart from that and what T1-T4 C-store ships you can get, they play exactly the same.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I think it's mostly in terms of attitude and playstyle.

If you're an aggressive player, the KDF side just feels right sometimes.

I have Romulan Republic characters on both sides of the fence.

My Romulan Tac is Fed-aligned because he's a former intelligence operative who tried to 'retire' to Virinat and sees the Federation as a positive force.

My Reman Eng is KDF-aligned because he's got grudges and the Empire is the best place for him to indulge his thirst for revenge.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I think it's mostly in terms of attitude and playstyle.

If you're an aggressive player, the KDF side just feels right sometimes.

I have Romulan Republic characters on both sides of the fence.

My Romulan Tac is Fed-aligned because he's a former intelligence operative who tried to 'retire' to Virinat and sees the Federation as a positive force.

My Reman Eng is KDF-aligned because he's got grudges and the Empire is the best place for him to indulge his thirst for revenge.

My Rom Sci is Fed-aligned for two reasons:
    • Her best friend in childhood was the kid of a Federation ambassador. It's why she goes by "Morgan": Gina Parker couldn't pronounce Morgaiah.
    • She trusts the Federation to have more actual honor and integrity than the Klingons (she's a big believer in mnhei'sahe). If you will recall, after Hobus the Federation provided humanitarian aid to the Romulans, while the Klingons invaded them. The Federation was there for the Romulans in their darkest hour, the Klingons were the diametric opposite.
      I say again: batlh ghajbe' tlhInganpu'!
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    you can only use up to your alliance's T4 ships... so KDF is the only sane choice.

Leech console and raiding for contraband.
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tigeraries wrote: »
    you can only use up to your alliance's T4 ships... so KDF is the only sane choice.

Leech console and raiding for contraband.

Its actually funny cause despite me having purchased the Vandal i still ended up rerolling my Rom-KDF to Rom-Fed. But back when i got the PL on the Rom Fed and Fed toons i cared about it was only going for 10mil EC on the exchange. Now? i would rather my new Rom-Fed be PL-less rather then going with a Rom-KDF.

I just dont like the Klingon culture. Qonos and the Klingon Academy are just to dark and gritty for my tastes. I like ESD and Starfleet Academy because they are clean, bright and have trees and stuff. SFA i like because its in the Bay Area so i kinda sit here and daydream and wait for Cryptic to allow me access to the 24th century version of Japan-town in SFO. Also now that i think about it the area in SFA also kinda reminds me of the Japanese gardens and rock gardens i used to visit as a kid.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It all depends on your play style and how it fits to what you want to do.

I chose Federation for my Romulan due to a few reasons.

1 - More likely to get along. Where in the past Federation and Romulans at least worked together. Where the Romulans and Klingons really didn't get along.

2 - Fed stations and bases are more similar to what my Romulan wants. Where the KDF isn't that way.

3 - There is more stations to visit and get things done on the Fed side, plus more missions.

4 - Even though my Romulan seems like a person to get along with well. Just don't cross her or you will pay. So she thought the Federation could use a more unique way to handle things at times.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • dracarus2013dracarus2013 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I know this isn't an available option, but if it was, I would say .... Play a Reman, Kill 'Em All & let the Cardassians sort them out! lol. Speaking of which makes me wonder if at some point they might make a playable Cradassian?
    But anyhow, barring that, I'd probably pick Federation only because it seems like there's a few more options.
    Raith Va'lek(Federation Human, Tactical) -- U.S.S. Thalindor
    Krayat(Klingon Alien, Tactical) -- I.K.S. Sa'Tan
    edited November 2014
    farmallm
    Well, to point 1, I would say that could not said so clear. At first of course the alliance between Klingons and Roms against the Federation in old days seems to last longer and to be deeper (although limited in time) than any cooperation Rom/Fed. And of course later there were still cooperation between parts of the Klingons and the Roms (Klingon Civil War). 2 and 3 are of course very true. About 4... well sound also very like a Klingon or Orion behavior for me...:D I mean, this "do not mess with me" attitude...
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hard to say what's "better." I definitely agree that post-Hobus actions are a huge determining factor. As starswordc mentioned, the Klingon Empire decided it was a good time to invade. The Federation decided it was a good time to extend a hand, building on some of the goodwill from the Dominion War and the Shinzon Rebellion.

I run sci as a Romulan, so the Federation was a good choice for my playstyle for sure.

But I also feel that the Klingons lack some of the political suave that is common among Romulans. The Federation, though sometimes hilariously 'noble,' do a little more thinking and maneuvering before taking action. Romulan history has shown the people to be fierce warriors, and building the Empire certainly didn't take a let's-talk-about-it approach, so there's some similarity with the Klingons - likely the foundation of their off-and-on relations over the centuries. But the Federation seems to be a little more focused on long-term goals and planning, and the appreciation of cultural history, which seems more in-line with Romulan thought. The Klingon Empire is often focused on immediate victory in battle, and their histories are based almost entirely on conflict and glorious battles - that seems a little narrow.
    edited November 2014
    I think, anyway WHICH alliance you choose, i think it would be nice if it would be more obvious that the Romulans still have their own interest. Of course I understand the problem that for a not real stand-alone faction (like hey sadly are) there could not to much changes, but I think you very often act as if you would BE a Fed/Klingon - while even a Romulan who is allied with them would have his own goals and honouring the interests of the Romulan people high above others.

By the way, in Delta Rising I have sometimes far too much a feeling that the Federation is "Brother Number One" while the other parts of the so called alliance came far behind. Most decisions are told to you by Tuvok,you have not very often the feeling that the members of the alliance have their own agenda and may have a very different approach towards the different species (and may have an interest to use the alliance for their own interest - for example it would make much more sense if you would report the Hazari-infiltrator to your people, not to the Feds etc., or see if you could come out of the different events with a extra-benefit for you people like technology etc.). Of course this is result of making the game not too much complicated for different factions, but it minimize the feeling of playing someone different - I mean, people who play chars from different factions will perhaps feel little difference between their chars...
  • dracarus2013dracarus2013 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    federation are too insidious. they would brainwash you into slitting your own throat & being happy about it.

the tal shar needed borg tech to do that...

I think you're confusing an entire Federation for a smaller, even more insidious & vindictive group known as nagging wives, mother-in-laws, lawyers & politicians. Which unfortunately exist in every race/culture. :P
    Raith Va'lek(Federation Human, Tactical) -- U.S.S. Thalindor
    Krayat(Klingon Alien, Tactical) -- I.K.S. Sa'Tan
    edited November 2014
    Well, skollulfr is not so wrong, I would say. Not real suicide, but on the other hand the brain-washing seems to go the way to become more and more "Federationist" what means in the end "humanized", seeing all things the way the Federation and especially the humans want to (or at least I have not the impression that any part of the Federation - even not the Vulcans - influenced the Federation as whole the same way as its other members were influenced by the humans). Nothing what a proud Romulan char would want to see, I guess - while the Klingons are a little bit less subtle. So against their kind of "takeover" is seems more easy to defend yourself (not to forget that they are weaker than the Federation, too).
  • verizyneverizyne Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    My Rommies are mostly Fed aligned because... I like the fed aligned outfits better. Also because I'm like a really old player I guess, cause my day one stuff is fed aligned as well. Like my Liberated Borg BOFF.

Also. I cannot for the life of me get a KDF aligned Fleet of any kind other than one my Orion was abandoned with, and that was well before Fleet bases happened. ><