test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Soooo when will Crytpic hold their teams responsible?

soundwisdomsoundwisdom Member Posts: 248 Arc User
So now that we are holding players accountable for gameplay , when will Cryptic be holding it's own staff accountable.

Let's take a quick look at the tribble forums and the SHEER AMOUNT of opened tickets, and no responses. Look at how many tickets about bugs that made it into live. Look at how the staff has handled the situation. Moderators closing threads under anonymous accounts, posts getting deleted(rather then just edited), 4 sentence 'updates', combative responses from devs on multiple social media - including the forums, a severe lack of needed communication...

Take a listen to the latest Priority One podcast with the QA lead. Anyone with any background in public relations can clearly hear the back coverage that's attempting to happen. Constantly dropping notes about how some things have to move along -- clearly noting that they knew how much of a mess this update was going to be. Then followed up by a canned response claiming to provide 'information', which is nothing more then day 1 in public communications work.

At what point do - you - start holding yourself accountable for your own actions? If you want to design content that the players find terrible - that's your own business decision. If you are going to penalize players and remove content because of an 'exploit' when are you going to hold those designers and QA teams accountable?

I remember an interview quite some time ago where Cryptic said 'We strive to make the greatest games we can. The games the players want to play'. Now I don't know if this is the 'best you can' - I sure hope not. I can tell you though for a great many of us, you sure are not designing the game that we players want.

You want communication - and you get communication. Do you take our feedback or disregard it? Are you getting trumped by someone at PWE? Or have you lost the ambition to work in the industry and just want to come to collect a pay check and check off the task list?

We can't take Cryptic seriously as a company. As a design team. As a boon to the industry. If it doesn't hold itself accountable.

What it comes down to, is your playerbase is upset - yet you are doing nothing to alleviate the issue. It's been a long time since I've been disgusted and disappointed in how a company is treating it's IP's but that's exactly the point I'm at now.

I guess /inbeforethedelete as well.
Post edited by soundwisdom on

Comments

• ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah this is going to get locked fast.

But this in an MMO. There are only maybe a couple of MMO dev teams out there that are different then Cryptic. Most of them are exactly the same way, little communication, bugs throughout the content, and time gates and grind. It's the way MMOs are anymore, and no one holds their employees accountable for this.

In fact even accusing them of such generally never ends well, usually with numerous bans and warnings. It's rare... RARE to even hear a dev admit that they made a mistake... which we just heard from D'Angelo, even if I think he should have apologized for more.

As I said before, the behavior the OP described isn't just accepted but even expected anymore.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If they do decide to punish anyone...what makes you think we'd know about it?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • abfabfleetabfabfleet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So now that we are holding players accountable for gameplay , when will Cryptic be holding it's own staff accountable.

Let's take a quick look at the tribble forums and the SHEER AMOUNT of opened tickets, and no responses. Look at how many tickets about bugs that made it into live. Look at how the staff has handled the situation. Moderators closing threads under anonymous accounts, posts getting deleted(rather then just edited), 4 sentence 'updates', combative responses from devs on multiple social media - including the forums, a severe lack of needed communication...

Take a listen to the latest Priority One podcast with the QA lead. Anyone with any background in public relations can clearly hear the back coverage that's attempting to happen. Constantly dropping notes about how some things have to move along -- clearly noting that they knew how much of a mess this update was going to be. Then followed up by a canned response claiming to provide 'information', which is nothing more then day 1 in public communications work.

At what point do - you - start holding yourself accountable for your own actions? If you want to design content that the players find terrible - that's your own business decision. If you are going to penalize players and remove content because of an 'exploit' when are you going to hold those designers and QA teams accountable?

I remember an interview quite some time ago where Cryptic said 'We strive to make the greatest games we can. The games the players want to play'. Now I don't know if this is the 'best you can' - I sure hope not. I can tell you though for a great many of us, you sure are not designing the game that we players want.

You want communication - and you get communication. Do you take our feedback or disregard it? Are you getting trumped by someone at PWE? Or have you lost the ambition to work in the industry and just want to come to collect a pay check and check off the task list?

We can't take Cryptic seriously as a company. As a design team. As a boon to the industry. If it doesn't hold itself accountable.

What it comes down to, is your playerbase is upset - yet you are doing nothing to alleviate the issue. It's been a long time since I've been disgusted and disappointed in how a company is treating it's IP's but that's exactly the point I'm at now.

I guess /inbeforethedelete as well.

Have we had enough with TRIBBLE this week? Ohh yeah let's just drag them all out and hang them... and FYI stop speaking on the 'we' factor... speak for yourself. :rolleyes:
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    abfabfleet wrote: »
    Have we had enough with TRIBBLE this week? Ohh yeah let's just drag them all out and hang them... and FYI stop speaking on the 'we' factor... speak for yourself. :rolleyes:

^^ This 100%

We got an answer from cryptic and yet they continue the flame war we got an answer enough is enough.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ^^ This 100%

We got an answer from cryptic and yet they continue the flame war we got an answer enough is enough.

I will not stop the flame till I get the answers I want to hear:D
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited October 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I will not stop the flame till I get the answers I want to hear:D

lol i dont think you will ever get the exact answer you want to hear but an answer is an answer and so long as they made the attempt to gives us the reasoning behind it im cool
  • isvarnaisvarna Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ^^ This 100%

Some people just want to watch the forum(world?) burn. You can't reason with them for there is no logic in blind hatred. You can't empathize with them because they do not welcome it. You can't appeal to them for they exist in a world where you are beneath even contempt.
    ↓ ↓ This is why we can't have nice things. ↓ ↓
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ^^ This 100%

Except that the first sentence of that 'answer' was a blatant lie. They knew about this as reported during the tribble testing yet ignored it as they do so many other tribble reports and allowed it to go live. It's this same thing time and time again that irritates me the most out this entire situation. So my opinion is that the person or persons responsible for dealing with those consistantly ignored reports need to be reassigned to toilet scrubbing duty for the rest of their internship. I say internship because no self respecting professional could possibly be this consistantly foolish.
  • darthwoodarthwoo Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    cpc2011a wrote: »
    Except that the first sentence of that 'answer' was a blatant lie. They knew about this as reported during the tribble testing yet ignored it as they do so many other tribble reports and allowed it to go live. It's this same thing time and time again that irritates me the most out this entire situation. So my opinion is that the person or persons responsible for dealing with those consistantly ignored reports need to be reassigned to toilet scrubbing duty for the rest of their internship. I say internship because no self respecting professional could possibly be this consistantly foolish.

Not to mention that in summary, the answer is basically doublespeak for saying the players managed to get their DPS so high while doing the same content that existed for years that they managed to get their XP faster than the devs would like. Should we now assume that having high DPS is itself an exploit?
    edited October 2014
    isvarna wrote: »
    Some people just want to watch the forum(world?) burn. You can't reason with them for there is no logic in blind hatred. You can't empathize with them because they do not welcome it. You can't appeal to them for they exist in a world where you are beneath even contempt.

True that and though this be a troll thread....i couldnt help myself put post just to fan the flames always fun watching these threads burn with rage :D
  • omegasprimeomegasprime Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I agree with OP.
    AKA Primus01, Lifetime member since January 16, 2010
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-5700
    RAM 32 GB
    2 Titan GTX 980M GDDR5 8 GB
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    darthwoo wrote: »
    Not to mention that in summary, the answer is basically doublespeak for saying the players managed to get their DPS so high while doing the same content that existed for years that they managed to get their XP faster than the devs would like. Should we now assume that having high DPS is itself an exploit?

Oh, good lord... Really? People trying to defend and justify exploits are now really clutching at straws if this remark was even in the slightest bit serious and not wholeheartedly tongue-in-cheek...

It's becoming more and more clear that there are countless people on these forums who are either ignorant to the meaning and definition of the word exploit, the rest are knowingly ignorant as they refuse to accept that they were indeed a part of the problem...

By trying to justify their actions, they're trying to play the victim of the big bad Cryptic boogeyman because they would never do anything they know to be wrong in order to gain an advantage - for many that advantage was undoubtedly just easier leveling, as opposed to a direct advantage over other players, but this is still the end result...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    it's already been solved, blame the ones who did it out of malice, the greater good had an ugly paint job, but they laid out the reasons well enough. things had to be done, people got caught in the crossfire and now the best that can be done is to move forward
    eywdK7c.jpg
    edited October 2014
    imruined wrote: »
    Oh, good lord... Really? People trying to defend and justify exploits are now really clutching at straws if this remark was even in the slightest bit serious and not wholeheartedly tongue-in-cheek...

It's becoming more and more clear that there are countless people on these forums who are either ignorant to the meaning and definition of the word exploit, the rest are knowingly ignorant as they refuse to accept that they were indeed a part of the problem...

By trying to justify their actions, they're trying to play the victim of the big bad Cryptic boogeyman because they would never do anything they know to be wrong in order to gain an advantage - for many that advantage was undoubtedly just easier leveling, as opposed to a direct advantage over other players, but this is still the end result...

Entirely serious, actually. The whole section where he tries to justify how they decided who to roll back and by how much never made any mention of time spent on the maps, only how much XP was gained on the maps. As we've seen by now, there are quite a lot of people (of which I'm not one, sadly) who have perfected their methods of killing to almost the greatest potential possible within the confines of this game. Since we also know that these maps have offered the same rewards as they have since they offered any rewards, it was only because people actually NEED skill points again that this became an issue. These "unreasonable rates" at which that they claim some people were gaining XP over others could very reasonably be inferred as having come about by dedicated DPSers.
  • jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Thread Summary:

OP Blames Cryptic for allowing bugs to go live, not accounting for PWE forcing release dates and the simple fact that bug fixing is NOT easy.

/thread
    edited October 2014
    Entirely serious, actually. The whole section where he tries to justify how they decided who to roll back and by how much never made any mention of time spent on the maps, only how much XP was gained on the maps. As we've seen by now, there are quite a lot of people (of which I'm not one, sadly) who have perfected their methods of killing to almost the greatest potential possible within the confines of this game. Since we also know that these maps have offered the same rewards as they have since they offered any rewards, it was only because people actually NEED skill points again that this became an issue. These "unreasonable rates" at which that they claim some people were gaining XP over others could very reasonably be inferred as having come about by dedicated DPSers.

This problem stems from people running old content, which was never intended to provide the skill points that it was, at the rate that it was, rather than new content... The fact that old content was faster to level than new content, would have been clear it was wrong and those who continued to take advantage of this are deserving of losing what they gained...

Sorry, but irrespective of how you try and spin this, it's an exploit... People were using an unintended mechanic/bug to gain and intended advantage or benefit... They were exploiting, black and white...

• tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Simple answer: Never.

Quality control has taken a system offline here, and remains so.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • captainobvious09captainobvious09 Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    OP: This is the way things are if you don't like it, delete your characters and move on. PW has Germans to bankroll this game, they do not need you.

BEGONE!!!
    edited October 2014
    This problem stems from people running old content, which was never intended to provide the skill points that it was, at the rate that it was, rather than new content... The fact that old content was faster to level than new content, would have been clear it was wrong and those who continued to take advantage of this are deserving of losing what they gained...

Sorry, but irrespective of how you try and spin this, it's an exploit... People were using an unintended mechanic/bug to gain and intended advantage or benefit... They were exploiting, black and white...

So you acknowledge that the old content was providing exactly what it was going to provide anyway. As others have repeatedly mentioned, this was all known to Cryptic during the Tribble testing phase. As the skill point rewards weren't even particularly that much greater than the new content, only in perhaps a less roundabout manner than some of the convoluted new patrols, there was really no way for a reasonable player to believe this was "exploitative." Almost every MMO has some sort area where the XP rewards are much richer compared to others for the same amount of effort. The only difference we have here is that everything is instanced, so there's no resource competition. This still all boils down to how arbitrarily Cryptic can just declare anything they later realize they do not like the metrics on to be an exploit, and how much of a customer relations disaster they can cause in the aftermath.
    edited October 2014
    So you acknowledge that the old content was providing exactly what it was going to provide anyway. As others have repeatedly mentioned, this was all known to Cryptic during the Tribble testing phase. As the skill point rewards weren't even particularly that much greater than the new content, only in perhaps a less roundabout manner than some of the convoluted new patrols, there was really no way for a reasonable player to believe this was "exploitative." Almost every MMO has some sort area where the XP rewards are much richer compared to others for the same amount of effort. The only difference we have here is that everything is instanced, so there's no resource competition. This still all boils down to how arbitrarily Cryptic can just declare anything they later realize they do not like the metrics on to be an exploit, and how much of a customer relations disaster they can cause in the aftermath.

*sigh* I'm not gonna repeat myself again as clearly, no matter what anyone says, you're going to try and justify such actions...

I'm presuming you were one of those involved and penalised, to be this adamant about how 'innocent' this was... Given there were many people who realised it wasn't right and chose to avoid such patrols until the issue was fixed, and people were promoting it as a way to level more quickly, it was pretty apparent that something was not right, hence, exploit...

edited October 2014
    *sigh* I'm not gonna repeat myself again as clearly, no matter what anyone says, you're going to try and justify such actions...

I'm presuming you were one of those involved and penalised, to be this adamant about how 'innocent' this was... Given there were many people who realised it wasn't right and chose to avoid such patrols until the issue was fixed, and people were promoting it as a way to level more quickly, it was pretty apparent that something was not right, hence, exploit...

You assume too much, as I lost nothing from this. I've simply been able to observe this debacle from start to wherever we are now, as I doubt this is completely finished. Promoting things as a way to do things more efficiently, if taken as prima facie evidence that something is an exploit, would mean there are quite a lot more exploits in this game that as yet have never been addressed.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Oh yeah, Cryptic, or their QA team in particular, needs to be tarred and feathered. They've failed on mutiple occasions, and this is easily their most spectacular TRIBBLE-up. This exploit was known long before it hit Holodeck and nothing was done about it.

Just because I advocate calling an exploit and exploit doesn't mean I agree with projecting blame on the players.
  • cah3cah3 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm sure they never intended old ISE to be completed in under 1 minute but guess what it happened. This is an emotional response because they got beat. Their content was exposed as thin and they got their feelings hurt. As has been stated so often, the possibility of speed leveling was identified pre-launch. Nothing was done about it. I say fair game. Don't punish people for their ingenuity. We searched for the fastest way to level up and we found it. We take pride in our characters. Wanting to max them as quickly as possible is not wrong. So to all you suck-ups: enjoy this shell of a game while it lasts.