test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A possible new game to run to?

clooney002clooney002 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Ten Forward
Elite: Dangerous

Has anyone heard of this game or know anything about it?

Looks like its releasing in 4 days.

It just peaked my interest but I will investigate more of it when I get home. Looks to be in BETA at the moment and dosent look to be F2P.
Post edited by clooney002 on

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm just going back to Second Life, for a while, building shiny new homes that won't be time-gated or nerfed. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    All I know is Civilization: Beyond Earth unlocked for me on Steam today and it's pretty fun.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've heard of it, and it looks awesome, but I'm not sure if my computer can handle it.

Also... 4 days? I thought it was coming out next year. :D
    76561198032353876.png
  • desade1desade1 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Mechwarrior is a nice "Real F2P" game, though its only PVP. If I wanted to play Second Life I would just start buying run down duplexes and fix them up to rent like my friends...
  • atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    atomictiki wrote: »
    All I know is Civilization: Beyond Earth unlocked for me on Steam today and it's pretty fun.

I'm getting that ASAP... I forgot that was coming out. :)
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zbzznzbzzn Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    clooney002 wrote: »
    Elite: Dangerous

Has anyone heard of this game or know anything about it?

Looks like its releasing in 4 days.

It just peaked my interest but I will investigate more of it when I get home. Looks to be in BETA at the moment and dosent look to be F2P.

I used to play Elite and Frontier: Elite II a lot, so I'm definitely going to be checking out Elite: Dangerous once it's more developed. Frontier already featured a mighty impressive, seamless galaxy, so I can't wait to see the 400 billion stars and the planets that orbit them in Dangerous.

As I understand it, Dangerous will only require the initial purchase of the game. It won't require a subscription to play.
  • clooney002clooney002 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    rooster707 wrote: »
    I've heard of it, and it looks awesome, but I'm not sure if my computer can handle it.

Also... 4 days? I thought it was coming out next year. :D

I could be wrong as I was only able to glance at it. I did see Oct 28 somewhere.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    All I am seeing is Q4 2014 for Elite Dangerous. So before the end of the year. If Elite Dangerous was coming out next week, then there would have been confirmation. Although, I suspect it will come out next year since they should have a clue when the game comes out 2 months before release.
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Right now Mercenary pack for 40 bucks (ish) makes Elite: Dangerous top VFM (IMHO). Been in since kickstarter, it makes my hair stand on end sometimes. I actually hold my breath when playing hide and seek in debris fields, full Newtonian physics model and a lot of acceleration and deceleration leaves me giddy sometimes. I just wish my fleet defiant could have the freedom to fly like that, sigh... It's like pew, pew, pew with woosh, zoom, woosh, pew, pew, zoom, woosh! Sometimes I dream what STO could be like if they gave it to Mr Braban.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • hexcaliberhexcaliber Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Elite dangerous is not releasing in 4 days, the next beta client is being released then.

As for the game it is already huge with many more features planed for release, which is set for the end of this year.

The game is set in a galaxy that faithfully recreates our own milky way and includes 400 billion systems using data from Nasa, every star you see in game can be travelled to, just don't expect to do it in a few hours.

The game is a combination of the 3 previous Elite titles from the 80's; it is a sandbox game that can be played on-line or in sp, with character progress shared between both modes. Players can take on the role of explorer, pirate, trader, miner, bounty hunter, mercenary, faction naval officer or any combination you desire with in game systems and missions types catering to each.

Player ships use an extensive parts and customisation system allowing you to tailor ship load outs for specific roles The game will also feature ai wingmen and crew with different traits, player ratings and criminal standings systems and a hell of a lot more that I simply cba typing out.

Post release add-ons are planed that will add planetary landings and planetary exploration, boarding combat that will include fps style action, and multi crew ships.

I bought into the beta a while back and have loved every minute. Frankly, it is a struggle resisting the temptation of playing the heck out of it before it releases with all the planned features in place.
  • clooney002clooney002 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hexcaliber wrote: »
    Elite dangerous is not releasing in 4 days, the next beta client is being released then.

As for the game it is already huge with many more features planed for release, which is set for the end of this year.

The game is set in a galaxy that faithfully recreates our own milky way and includes 400 billion systems using data from Nasa, every star you see in game can be travelled to, just don't expect to do it in a few hours.

The game is a combination of the 3 previous Elite titles from the 80's; it is a sandbox game that can be played on-line or in sp, with character progress shared between both modes. Players can take on the role of explorer, pirate, trader, miner, bounty hunter, mercenary, faction naval officer or any combination you desire with in game systems and missions types catering to each.

Player ships use an extensive parts and customisation system allowing you to tailor ship load outs for specific roles The game will also feature ai wingmen and crew with different traits, player ratings and criminal standings systems and a hell of a lot more that I simply cba typing out.

Post release add-ons are planed that will add planetary landings and planetary exploration, boarding combat that will include fps style action, and multi crew ships.

I bought into the beta a while back and have loved every minute. Frankly, it is a struggle resisting the temptation of playing the heck out of it before it releases with all the planned features in place.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Im not sure if I am ready for another simulation just yet. But it does look hella fun.