test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DEVs nerfbat hit Tau Dewa

1262728293032»

Comments

• mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    We have Talaxian BOFFs that aren't able to use their racial Salvage Trait and the Devs don't give a Targ's TRIBBLE let alone make any effort to fix it, but if there is FUN detected in a particular sector? The Devs will go into Red Alert and Transwarp their asses to shut down that fun like it was an Omega Particle asap!

Tells you where the Dev's priorities really are, don't it?
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,433 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    That's my take on it. Too random to be intentional. Couple thoughts are:

A) A mistake made to skill points scaling/accrual for launch; correction messes with folks randomly.

B) A mistake made when 'fixing' Tau Dewa affects the entire game, messing with folks randomly.

Either way, it would indicate that there are some other issues at play/lurking in the coding.
    Let's hop into the Wayback Machine for a quick look at the kind of coding Cryptic's programmers have done in the past (and probably why those same programmers are no longer with the company).

A couple of years ago, STO's sister game Champions Online added a neat new event. They introduced the lore character Nighthawk into the game, and at the same time gave everyone a chance to try out the new vehicles they were introducing (you got to use a spare Nighthawk Jet during the climactic battle).

Somehow, adding in these missions managed to disable the chat server. For about two weeks, nobody could directly communicate in-game. People took to using the /killme command to spell out words with their dead bodies in screenshots just to pass messages.

Point is, this is spaghetti code. When one thing is changed, there appears to be no reliable way to tell for sure what else is getting changed. So when they went to punish the guilty in the Tau Dewa incident? A whole lot of people got caught up in it by accident, it would appear.

I would expect that the current staff is working on a resolution to this issue - but are trying very hard to find one that doesn't just make things worse. To quote one of Dr. Bowman's handlers in the webcomic Freefall, "The urge to do something during an emergency is very strong. It takes discipline and training to do nothing."
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    and then ppl scream because it wasn't fixed back on tribble when it was first reported. at the time they probl thought fixing it would lead to more problems down the line and left it alone. I guess its their "fault" for not expecting the players to abuse it in huge numbers :rolleyes:
  • kamjathaekamjathae Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    kamjathae wrote: »
    I have delete 2 chars from me. The next weeks if they nerf taudewa or close again, the next 2 comes. 5 are left right now, from 7 ;)

Post edited by kamjathae on
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Let's hop into the Wayback Machine for a quick look at the kind of coding Cryptic's programmers have done in the past (and probably why those same programmers are no longer with the company).

A couple of years ago, STO's sister game Champions Online added a neat new event. They introduced the lore character Nighthawk into the game, and at the same time gave everyone a chance to try out the new vehicles they were introducing (you got to use a spare Nighthawk Jet during the climactic battle).

Somehow, adding in these missions managed to disable the chat server. For about two weeks, nobody could directly communicate in-game. People took to using the /killme command to spell out words with their dead bodies in screenshots just to pass messages.

Point is, this is spaghetti code. When one thing is changed, there appears to be no reliable way to tell for sure what else is getting changed. So when they went to punish the guilty in the Tau Dewa incident? A whole lot of people got caught up in it by accident, it would appear.

I would expect that the current staff is working on a resolution to this issue - but are trying very hard to find one that doesn't just make things worse. To quote one of Dr. Bowman's handlers in the webcomic Freefall, "The urge to do something during an emergency is very strong. It takes discipline and training to do nothing."

I also liked the " permanently revert max level characters to level 1" bug from the first mega d anniversary event. As far as I know they never could fix that, people had to relevel without access to any missions.
  • ragnorok2722ragnorok2722 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    We have Talaxian BOFFs that aren't able to use their racial Salvage Trait and the Devs don't give a Targ's TRIBBLE let alone make any effort to fix it, but if there is FUN detected in a particular sector? The Devs will go into Red Alert and Transwarp their asses to shut down that fun like it was an Omega Particle asap!

Tells you where the Dev's priorities really are, don't it?

you act like the devs care about players they say they do but they really don't rofl