What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

has the game died?

13»

Comments

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hajmyis wrote: »
    well has it, I mean this TRIBBLE DR just sucks, it really does. I give it 6 months and they throw out a borg lockbox to milk the last zen out of people then they shut it down.

R.I.P STO
    cause of death" Ebola bug causing poor game mechanics

fct applies here. reporting the thread.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I could be wrong but in terms of noticeable game busyness LOR must have beaten the hell out of DR in a straight fight.
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    I odn't think STO has died. he name 'Star Trek' will keep it alive for a while still.

Faith in the game for the current playerbase, however, has well and trully died, murdered, nothing left but a blood stain, chalk outline and a grieving widow.

And nothing - NOTHING - grets around aster than negative word of mouth... any new player that bothers to read the forums or talk to present players will not be filled with confidence

I couldn't agree more. Before I start playing a MMO I always read the games forums. It will always tell you the success or failure state the game is currently in. Word of mouth is the most powerful tool any business can have. It can make or break you. If cryptic wanted to increase its players moral and potentially get new players it should hire some ppl to fill the forums will every good thing about STO. Never to mention anything negative. After awhile it will catch on and other ppl will start in on the praise. Same goes with the opposite. If I didn't know better I would swear some of STOs moderators get a pay check straight from PWI.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The game hasn't died, no, but I fear it is dying with the stupid decisions being made (likely) by PWE. I know many people blame Cryptic, heck, I have in the past, but then (in theory) they're doing what they're told. If PWE are as mighty under the hammer as we're sometimes led to believe, then they're the morons forcing Cryptic to make these bad decisions.

Either way, it's going to drive a wedge somewhere eventually. It's only a matter of time.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I give it 6 months and they throw out a borg lockbox s

playable disconnected borg will be next years addon ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    The game hasn't died, no, but I fear it is dying with the stupid decisions being made (likely) by PWE. I know many people blame Cryptic, heck, I have in the past, but then (in theory) they're doing what they're told.

If PWE is telling Cryptic to:

- hire half the Voyager cast,
    - produce an entire storyline,
    - create a whole tier of new-IP ships,
    - add a new level of gear,
    - introduce new sectors and species,
    - develop a third level of PvE difficulty, and
    - create a new specialization sub-set for player characters and BOFFs that is coded to allow for future expansion

... then PWE is doing something very, very right.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    chipg7 wrote: »

- create a new specialization sub-set for player characters and BOFFs that is coded to allow for future expansion

I doubt PWE are ordering Cryptic to do any of that. It's likely that was a Cryptic decision. PWE is more concerned with money that content. In order to get money, Cryptic must deliver, so the conversation probably went along the lines of:

PWE: We need you to implement a way to slow player progression unless they spend more cash for fast tracking (skill point boosts). Likewise they also probably told them that they required more casual funds, thus Cryptic's answer to that was to throw in random upgrades at an enhanced cost, all whilst reducing reward payouts.

The new content in the game (Delta Missions) and voicework was a lovely addition, but that's not enough to cloud over what else changed with DR.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    I doubt PWE are ordering Cryptic to do any of that. It's likely that was a Cryptic decision. PWE is more concerned with money that content. In order to get money, Cryptic must deliver, so the conversation probably went along the lines of:

PWE: We need you to implement a way to slow player progression unless they spend more cash for fast tracking (skill point boosts). Likewise they also probably told them that they required more casual funds, thus Cryptic's answer to that was to throw in random upgrades at an enhanced cost, all whilst reducing reward payouts.

The new content in the game (Delta Missions) and voicework was a lovely addition, but that's not enough to cloud over what else changed with DR.
    Well, the bottom line is $$$, and not because Stone Cold said so, but because it's a business.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • darkdog13darkdog13 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Wow 9 new ships that cost $30 a piece lucky us oh and we are allowed to upgrade our old tier 5 ships that we already spent $25 on for a mere $7.
    Gear upgrade wow sounds great oh wait its $5 to upgrade 1 piece from mk 12 to mk 14 without changing the rarity.
    Wow a difficulty oh wait it just more of the same but with more ai hp and damage output with the same stupid ai.

Delta Rising is the biggest money grab so far while at the same time reducing in game rewards.
  • nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    well has it, I mean this TRIBBLE DR just sucks, it really does. I give it 6 months and they throw out a borg lockbox to milk the last zen out of people then they shut it down.

R.I.P STO
    cause of death" Ebola bug causing poor game mechanics

if they keep this up, soon, very soon.
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    darkdog13 wrote: »
    Wow 9 new ships that cost $30 a piece lucky us oh and we are allowed to upgrade our old tier 5 ships that we already spent $25 on for a mere $7.
    Gear upgrade wow sounds great oh wait its $5 to upgrade 1 piece from mk 12 to mk 14 without changing the rarity.

You can get all of this for free, with EC on the Exchange, though player trades in social zones, or through Dil-to-ZEN conversion. I have yet to spend any real money on my gear or ship upgrades for DR. Cryptic still gets their money because someone has bought the item, and F2P players get their items without paying a dime.

If this actually were a real money grab, all of these items would be locked as 'bound to account.'
    darkdog13 wrote: »
    Wow a difficulty oh wait it just more of the same but with more ai hp and damage output with the same stupid ai.

The playerbase had been asking for harder PvEs for a long time, and Cryptic delivered. Not only are the enemies harder, but bonus objectives are now mandatory and new objectives are available.

Plus, they are introducing new PvE content.

They gave us exactly what we asked for.
  • madblooddollmadblooddoll Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    everyone i know quit and not just over the upgrade rip-off but that the upgraded state is still TRIBBLE. They ****ed this game bad like they did with champions online. Like when they left City of Heroes and let Paragon take over the game improved. They should have just kept the level cap and added new stuff to buy, i'd have bought all that stuff. Now though with all my ships being worthless and the ones I can upgrade aren't my favorites, forget this slap in the face game. I feel dumb for getting lifetime last christmas. I wish I could have my money back. This is probably the worst experience I've had with a game in a long time.
  • narrheehawnarrheehaw Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Nope XD

I would welcome you to Earth Space Dock Station to celebrate DR as one of the best launches.

We will fight in Delta Rising, and conquer all! Players Unite!
    This, is the goal, of narrheehaw
    It's mission, to destroy new worlds and civilizations
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And to boldly ruin, what no one has ruined before.
  • jaysonn1jaysonn1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    LMAO... you're not serious, this game is far from dead. You have enough Cryptic fanboi's that'll keep it alive, plus it's really the only semi-casual Space MMO out there, and really the only Star Trek game left standing. It can't die.

But they know they can do it because they carry the name Star Trek on their brand.

that's what they said about SWG, lol
  • flufferizerflufferizer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hehe, if anything MORE people are logged in now than before DR

You do realize that's an empty comment? Every big patch from every MMO out there will bring more players out to test or re-adopt a game they have quit or played less.

As time goes, depending on the new content, either the game goes dead again or there is a mini-rivival for a while.

In this case, DR is a game breaking content, on the negative side unless things are changed dramatically.
  • flufferizerflufferizer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2014

The playerbase had been asking for harder PvEs for a long time, and Cryptic delivered. Not only are the enemies harder, but bonus objectives are now mandatory and new objectives are available.

No one was asking for this kind of crazy TRIBBLE, if anyone was asking, it was a minority. I've never ask for this TRIBBLE, I do not know anyone that I play with asking for this kind of TRIBBLE, ever.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No, I'm playing it right now!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• narrheehawnarrheehaw Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Come! you play and we fight borg~

We kill everything!

No Dilithium! No Problem! you kill borg~~!!!!!!
    This, is the goal, of narrheehaw
    It's mission, to destroy new worlds and civilizations
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And to boldly ruin, what no one has ruined before.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I really don't see why DR would be the end-of-play reason for people. DR has barely been out a week. There will be early-adopter issues, as with any other product launch or major update. But the Devs have been working pretty hard to fix most of them, quickly.

Cryptic also said since day 1 that they will monitor DR and re-balance where needed. Hence tomorrow's patch, which will fix some of the initial scaling problems in PvE.

The reason isnt DR itself its the bugs they seem to be addressing by punishing the innocent and the fact they are completley ignorant to the fact they are losing players due to their incompetence and mishandling of the issues that have arrived with DR.

I was excited as everyone else pre DR but post DR i have taken a break from the game i might not come back due to the reasons ive listed.

The cryptic dev team is mishandling this and its starting to show as the game hemorrhages players due to their utter lack of understanding that what they are doing and how they are going about it is all wrong.
  • darkdog13darkdog13 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You can get all of this for free, with EC on the Exchange, though player trades in social zones, or through Dil-to-ZEN conversion. I have yet to spend any real money on my gear or ship upgrades for DR. Cryptic still gets their money because someone has bought the item, and F2P players get their items without paying a dime.

If this actually were a real money grab, all of these items would be locked as 'bound to account.'

Nothing is free you either spend cash or your time and grinding dilithium is a joke once you think about what you making per hour. At the current exhange rate a tier 6 ship will cost you 480k dilithium which is 60 days of converting dilithium.

If you are using fleet or rep items they are already bound to character which means you will need to upgrade multipe sets of gear if you have alts.

The new advanced and elites modes are not harder just take longer to do all they did was make npcs large damage sponges. Meanwhile they nerfed the rewards.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I still see a lot of players on in various places. Even though all the "hate" spreading on the forums. I still play and hadn't let a few issues stop me from playing or the forums "hating".
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The most popular space simulation game on Steam is consistently 'Kerbal Space Program'.
    I know Steam is far from everything but that should tell you a lot...
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You know, I take back what I said earlier in the thread; this game will die; enough to be undead as the rabid fanbase continues to pay for increasingly mediocre gameplay experience while everyone else abandons it for any other space sim, whether it's EVE or Star Citizen, or those shorter and lighter space-based games.

There's a nice quick-action team PvP game coming out that involves warships duking it out in a deathmatch called Dreadnought as well, for those who only ever really PvP'd, but want fast action rather than spending months to be competent at EVE PvP.

With the way things are going downhill and no brakes to stop it, Cryptic may as well just give us the Winter event and troll everyone with a Sleigh ship. It's Masteries will give it Reindeer, Bells, Incessant Holiday music, and Snow thrusters. 5th Mastery is Coal, which does absolutely nothing but waste a Starship Mastery slot and award the Accolade "You Got Coal'd". It can only be removed by paying 100 Zen to burn it, upon which will give you the Accolade "Coal'd Hearted".
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    That was Cold Bloooded
    GwaoHAD.png
  • inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ya, true, but dont mean they stay.

Or that they spend any money.
    2iBFtmg.png