test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is EMH Mk I a nurse?

blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User
And his quote "I'm a doctor, not a doorstop," instead of, "Please state the nature of the medical emergency"? (Referring to the Epic quality duty officer you get as a mission reward.)

Not trying to be a canon TRIBBLE, just seems odd. Is it because the EMH is intended to be a supplement to (more along the lines of a nurse) medical staff than actual full-fledged doctors? If so, then why are the Emergency Medical Holograms you can replicate all doctors?
Post edited by blazeritter on

Comments

• mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The Quote is a reference to McCoy
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And his quote "I'm a doctor, not a doorstop," instead of, "Please state the nature of the medical emergency"? (Referring to the Epic quality duty officer you get as a mission reward.)

Not trying to be a canon TRIBBLE, just seems odd. Is it because the EMH is intended to be a supplement to (more along the lines of a nurse) medical staff than actual full-fledged doctors? If so, then why are the Emergency Medical Holograms you can replicate all doctors?

It's because of the active power. They needed to make sure that the EMH counted towards the limit of active duty DOffs that trigger a chance at a medical beam-in when using a hypo.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited October 2014

The quote is actually from Star Trek: First Contact. Dr. Crusher activates the Enterprise-E's EMH and tells it to barricade the door from the Borg, thus, his complaint.
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited October 2014

Well, yeah... but the EMH from First Contact said that, right before Crusher fed him to the Borg. :P

"Please state the nature" would work better, though...
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited October 2014
    The quote is actually from Star Trek: First Contact. Dr. Crusher activates the Enterprise-E's EMH and tells it to barricade the door from the Borg, thus, his complaint.

Drat, you beat me to it. :P
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It could be one of 2 things, "THIS" EMH Mk 1 truly would make a better assistant next to the newer models and is STILL a great fill in, these may be slightly out of practice, but can make one heck of a medic none the less.

These and their brothers are not The Doctor, after all, they did mine Dillithium for a time, and they are still a EMP Mk 1 model, but they will never be the same person as The Doctor.

They will be themselves.

like an Android, it could look like Data, but it never will be, it will be it's self.

i wish i had "The Doctor" now lol, but even a medic like him is still kinda fun
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    betayuya wrote: »
    i wish i had "The Doctor" now lol, but even a medic like him...

Since you said medic, now I'm actually wondering what you get on the Klingon side. I haven't gotten either of my Klingons involved in Delta Quadrant stuff yet.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Since you said medic, now I'm actually wondering what you get on the Klingon side. I haven't gotten either of my Klingons involved in Delta Quadrant stuff yet.

They get an EMH mk 1 boff (because its a ****ing Robert Picardo doff, regardless of what faction you've picked as a ST fan you're not going to settle for less, ESPECIALLY some cheap KDF/RR EMH knock off.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They get an EMH mk 1 boff (because its a ****ing Robert Picardo doff, regardless of what faction you've picked as a ST fan you're not going to settle for less, ESPECIALLY some cheap KDF/RR EMH knock off.)

Seriously true. Robert picardo rules, accept no substitutes. >.<
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Robert picardo, the new Chuck Norris? lol :D
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • archofwinterarchofwinter Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    betayuya wrote: »
    Robert picardo, the new Chuck Norris? lol :D

"I just installed a new subroutine based on a twentieth century folk hero named Chuck Norris.
    Computer, activate Emergency Badass Hologram."
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I never did like Voyager, as i do the other Trek shows , but The Doctor was the best part of Voyager, and made it fun to watch, even Seven of TRIBBLE acting like him was great in Body and Soul.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Actually the quote is from the EMH in First Contact.

The Borg are about to bust into sickbay and Crusher needs time to get her staff and the injured through a Jefferies Tube activates the EMH and says "20 Borg are baout to bust through that door I need a distraction, stall them."

"I'm a Doctor not a Door Stop!"
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Dont forget that the EMH was thought of as an addition to a normal doctor, not his replacement. And Voyagers EMH is the only one who went on to become a "real" doctor. The generic ones didnt (and now they are scrubbing plasma vents).
  • superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't know. Doesn't bother me that it's a nurse instead of a Doctor. It's cool as Hell to appear mid battle with "Please state the nature of the medical emergency".
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The EMH1 was never designed to actually be a doctor...

Yes he had the skill, but just how many times did they have to upgrade, adjust or straight out alter his program to keep him running and working?

They had been better off just adding teaching subroutines to him, and then let Eng. Wildman become a doctor with the EMH supplementing.

Considering the EMH is almost 50 years old by the time of STO, its a wonder that he is even given the status as a nurse...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You get the same.… what's the klingon name ? Medic ? It's a doff with the 25% chance to appear mid-battle if you use a hypo
    P58WJe7.jpg

• adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Why is he a Nurse?

Because his active roster effect is the Nurse Ground active roster effect.

Nurses Summon Medics, Doctors enhance Medical Abilities, and summoning the EMH, is basically summoning a fancy Medic ( Though its great when you hear his dialogue )

Simple really, its keeping the DOFF naming convention consistent, there is not much else to say
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    i dont mind him being a nurse, the only thing i want to know is at least give an explanation as to why we are getting him as a reward? a 30+ year old out dated hologram?
  • rmxiiirmxiii Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Oddly enough EMH MK 1 is also a Nurse on KDF side instead of a Medic making him the only Nurse on KDF side currently.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Having The Doctor join my away team pretty much makes my month.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    in doff assigment is it any better than other VR doffs woth same traits?
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The Doctor is not simply very rare - he is truly Epic!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ok... but will assigment have more chance on sucess or crit if you use doctor instead of any other nurse withe the same trits?
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    binebane wrote: »
    ok... but will assigment have more chance on sucess or crit if you use doctor instead of any other nurse withe the same trits?

Well he has 5 traits instead of the usual 4 so quite possibly
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......