test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Delta Rising's writing: About Klingon Intelligence Services. COME ON!

angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Klingon Discussion
If you talk to the KDF intelligence gal at Delta Command you will read some premium writing, explaining the "backstory" for Intelligence Services:

She basically says that the Klingon Intelligence Service is made up of orphans, outcasts and outsiders and basically looked down upon and they all live in shame because they are no warriors and hurr-durr.

Seriously? Come on. Not only that the Orcs and Goblins analogy now is complete but who thought that this backwards writing to portray Klingons the way they are portrayed in STO was a good idea? It has been stablished thorughout the original IP that while the warrior ethos is strong in Klingon society, being a warrior and fighting one's battles is often equally a metaphorical/spiritual thing than it is a martial one. Time and again we read that the developing team behind STO claims to be huuugely into Star Trek and deeply care for anything, yet most what we see in-game, be it the visuals, the writing or the gameplay does almost always just barely scratch the surface or make sense in established rules to begin with.
lFC4bt2.gif
^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
"A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
"That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sovakofvulcansovakofvulcan Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ever read the IKS GORKON series...

"It was known to be a feared governmental branch which was responsible for the well being of the Empire. It was common for them to operate above the law when necessary in order to ensure the future of the Klingon Empire. I.I. operatives were exempted from many of the usual rules of Klingon society (for instance, non-undercover operatives were immune to challenges), and with sufficient authority I.I. agents could assume control of KDF assets (including seizing command of starships). This lead to a great deal of institutional friction between I.I. and the Klingon Defense Force. The warriors often viewed I.I. as honorless schemers who lurked in shadows, while intelligence operatives tended to view the KDF as swaggering, ham-handed dolts. (TOS novel: The Final Reflection, TLE novel: The Art of the Impossible, the Star Trek: Klingon Empire series, the TOS video game: Starfleet Command II)"
    Admiral Jisil T'ror
    Admiral Sovak
    “Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers...”
  • coldicephoenixcoldicephoenix Member Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    If you talk to the KDF intelligence gal at Delta Command you will read some premium writing, explaining the "backstory" for Intelligence Services:

She basically says that the Klingon Intelligence Service is made up of orphans, outcasts and outsiders and basically looked down upon and they all live in shame because they are no warriors and hurr-durr.
    The intel services ARE mostly made up of houseless Klingons. So yea, they are pretty much on the mark. Its also been the same in the novels as well. Gorkon series and the one with Bashir and the Andorian cure thingy. The high council and the Chancellor barely just tolerate them

The Klingons in the intel services do in fact know that once all is said and done there will be no song sung and no blood wine toasted for their accomplishments.

We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The novels, though, have no bearing on anything since they are their own thing unless Cryptic tells us that they specifically adapt that piece into their own lore.

In contrary, in the shows we learn that Klingon agents fully honourable, unless they fail their missions (DS9, "Trials and Tribbleations" and "Visionary"). Also, the Klingon agent in TNG posing for an exobiologist (or the exobiologist also working covertly for intelligence) states that he has a great deal of influence.

While they may be individual conflicts and differing points of view within Klingon society we learned in canon a few times that not only warriors are valued and honoured members of society, be it a lawyer, agent, farmer, engineer or chef. It's just when you fail your duties you seem to face social reprecussions.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • coldicephoenixcoldicephoenix Member Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    In contrary, in the shows we learn that Klingon agents fully honourable, unless they fail their missions (DS9, "Trials and Tribbleations" and "Visionary"). Also, the Klingon agent in TNG posing for an exobiologist (or the exobiologist also working covertly for intelligence) states that he has a great deal of influence.
    The references you cite don't exactly highlight a lot about KI. Not like the info we have on S13.
    KI even in the novels DO have influence btw and do have tenets of honor. Its just that they take a more practical view (rather than Klingonese honor view) of events and dont let honor get in the way of duty. In Visionary for ex, snooping is what the KI officers attempted.. a very romulan thing to do, isn't it?

We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The references you cite don't exactly highlight a lot about KI. Not like the info we have on S13.
    KI even in the novels DO have influence btw and do have tenets of honor. Its just that they take a more practical view (rather than Klingonese honor view) of events and dont let honor get in the way of duty. In Visionary for ex, snooping is what the KI officers attempted.. a very romulan thing to do, isn't it?

It is true that not a lot is known about KI, but certainly nothing that reinforces the "Goblins are inferior but do the smarts" approach STO seems to use either.

Regarding your remark, wether it's a "Romulan" thing to do I dont know. Star Trek has also, at least in my opinion, very clearly pictured that the amount of backstabbing and sabotage Klingons will use in their house feuds would indeed put the Tal Shiar to shame :D Klingons rarely acted "honourably", the only exceptions really were Worf, an outsider raised on the whole idealized honour thing, and Martok, a commoner who prooved a lot more integrity than all of the noble houses on screen combined.

I have absolutely no doubt that KI is used just as frequently scheming assasinations and espionage just like any other intelligence service as well. But this grimdark "outsider" characterization really comes out of nowhere and is a really bad attempt, in my opinion, to push a fixed fantasy faction setting upon the KDF faction.

By the way, S31 is not to be confused with Starfleet Intelligence. S31 is not an official agency, it's a illegal xenophobic militia. Intelligence services are official, uniformed services. They do conduct covert operations but they don't sneak around in tight jumpsuits wearing ridiculous shades and whisper everything they say all the time ;) - once again a impression I get from STO (most certainly though that STO also does not differ between S31 and SI which is a bit funny since S31 was introduced as a "villian" entity in DS9).
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Seriously? Come on. Not only that the Orcs and Goblins analogy now is complete but who thought that this backwards writing to portray Klingons the way they are portrayed in STO was a good idea? It has been established thorughout the original IP that while the warrior ethos is strong in Klingon society, being a warrior and fighting one's battles is often equally a metaphorical/spiritual thing than it is a martial one. .

This.

Everyone is a warrior, but not always a warrior in combat for the Empire as we look at it. To a Klingon Lawyer, the courtroom is his battle; to a farmer, the field is his war. To a doctor, their fight is to keep others strong and healthy in theirs.

It is not Warrior or GTFO as STO portrays.

If you do something right and successfully, it is honourable - fail, and it isn't. For example, if a Starship Captain orders a vaping manoeuvre and fails, the First Officer is allowed to challenge the Captain's incompetence. If the move is successful, honour and glory all round.

The actual honour in decloaking and stabbing your opponent in the back is not important.
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Spoilers:

The Intelligence Agent's backstory didn't strike me as nearly as much of a joke as the false flag attack she tried to get me to stage with a remote controlled Vaadwaur ship in one mission. That's some Romulan style shenanigans, and I don't mean the New Romulans.
  • krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Its pretty lame that rather than make an effort to tell stories they just fall back on ez mode.

The kdf is aligned with the orions, would be natural and much more interesting is the intelligence branch of the Klingon empire was now the domain of the syndicate, and the tensions that would create in the Klingon alliance , good story territory.

The romulans could also have defeated the tal shiar, then offered amnesty and used them as an intelligence branch, causing corruption torise , and offer the romulan players something more compelling than gjust a lazy second federation
    http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1