test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Companion App

geneijggeneijg Member Posts: 12 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Ten Forward
Hello Players!

I have what I hope is some exciting news for the community!

Do you have a smartphone or tablet? Ever wanted some quick access to the Wiki, Forums, and/or both? Then I hope you'll enjoy the Star Trek Online Unofficial Companion App! This first quick release just hit Google Play within the last 12 hours, and is available to the World!
**EDIT: App has been submitted to the Amazon App Store! Get the link at the Landing Page below!

Quick Release Features
  • Access to the Gateway
  • Opens to the Wiki
  • Forums tab

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Coming soon is the true Beta Version of the app! I hope to have it ready in time for Delta Rising on the 14th.
**UPDATE**
There is a working web-based Beta that has now opened! Visit the Landing Page for links and info!

Get the quick release below!

STO App Landing Page

Any suggestions, or want to help develop the app?
Submit them below, or, to help develop, please email me directly using the one provided on Google Play.

Are you an iFan? Sorry, but at this time, I cannot bring the Companion to iOS 8.
***UPDATE***
This new app will support iOS!
GET THE UNOFFICIAL COMPANION APP!
Quick Release Version available now! App Landing Page

"Admiral in Rank, Captain in name and action"
"What is to give light must endure the burning"
Post edited by geneijg on

Comments

• Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited October 2014
    Is there an Android version that does not require Google Play? The Android I was gifted does not have access to Google Play, possibly due to a conflict between Google and the manufacturer. In finding that out, I learned there may be several models of Android that way.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,764 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    cool app

tho when i try to log in to the forums it jumps me out of the app to my browser (im using a nexus 7)
  • Options
    stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Can you put this in the Kindle Fire app store? :)
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Is there an Android version that does not require Google Play? The Android I was gifted does not have access to Google Play, possibly due to a conflict between Google and the manufacturer. In finding that out, I learned there may be several models of Android that way.

Not at the moment, but there can be. Unfortunately, due to work schedules, this cannot be accomplished until tomorrow evening. I'll do my best to work as quickly as possible after my regular work.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Follow the App Landing Page to download the straight .apk! Amazon App Store submission was just completed!

EXCITED!

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I tried it.
    very Neat.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    geneijg wrote: »
    the Star Trek Online Unofficial Companion App (Quick Release)!

that underlined.. hmm you should really ask permission from cryptic about it first and putting it on the amazon store? your trying to make money from it? thats a big no no, or is it going gratis?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    that underlined.. hmm you should really ask permission from cryptic about it first and putting it on the amazon store? your trying to make money from it? thats a big no no, or is it going gratis?

Considering it's free and I try hard to scream unofficial, it should be alright. The biggest part is that it's free. If Cryptic has issues, I'll deal with it in stride.

• Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    cool little app, nice work. only thing i can fault with it is the little ad banner on the bottom (kindle version) only as it distracts from the app itself and feels out of place. would happily pay for an ad free version.

keep up the good work
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Considering it's free and I try hard to scream unofficial, it should be alright. The biggest part is that it's free. If Cryptic has issues, I'll deal with it in stride.

i just hope you dont violate anything trademark or legal related in the process. really you should try get a link to cryptic as soon as you can.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    qziqza wrote: »
    cool little app, nice work. only thing i can fault with it is the little ad banner on the bottom (kindle version) only as it distracts from the app itself and feels out of place. would happily pay for an ad free version.

keep up the good work

Unfortunately, this quick release version has the ads, but when the real beta comes up, it'll be free and without ads. Work is continuing, but I wanted to give the community a taste (and use it for myself as well, of course!). It also lets me do a quick "soak test" of sorts so I can gauge the response, and also incorporate any suggestions into the true Beta.

• Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,529 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Very nice and clean looking. Thank goodness for ad blocking software as I didn't see any ads at all. Is there any way to move the 4 buttons at the botton to a slide out swipe from the left? This would be in keeping with the Android L look and feel. Keep up the awesome work! :cool:

Edit: Another quick question. Is there plans for a Windows Phone release?
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Very nice and clean looking. Thank goodness for ad blocking software as I didn't see any ads at all. Is there any way to move the 4 buttons at the botton to a slide out swipe from the left? This would be in keeping with the Android L look and feel. Keep up the awesome work! :cool:

Edit: Another quick question. Is there plans for a Windows Phone release?

At the moment, no to both questions. The Beta is going to have a table-type menu at the top for now, until I get more experienced with Mobile programming. The same reason is why there are no iOS or Windows Phone releases planned at this time.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Unfortunately, this quick release version has the ads, but when the real beta comes up, it'll be free and without ads. Work is continuing, but I wanted to give the community a taste (and use it for myself as well, of course!). It also lets me do a quick "soak test" of sorts so I can gauge the response, and also incorporate any suggestions into the true Beta.

Great to hear, and im more than happy to keep using the app as your work with it progresses.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited October 2014
    eeh... I think it should be fine with Cryptic.... I'll keep an eye on the app!!!

• Options
    edited October 2014
    While reading this, just remember, most consumers dont think past pretty visuals, and are happy to be told what they like and why they like it.

So just got through playing with the App some more, and had me a little 3rd party thinking. I like the App it has great potential, however a few things for you to think about..

The main logo for your App is a registered trademark, you will need to modify it, change it or at the very least provide a visible disclaimer each and every time you use it. Though the App may be free, you are still distributing a product using another companies Logo.

At best PWE/Cryptic could see the use of this Logo as being incidently missleading to consumers, who may think they are using an officially licensed product - slap on the wrist, little red in the face.

At worst PWE/Cryptic could take legal action believing you are purposely trying to misslead consumers into thinking it is an offically licensed product. (ok, worst case scenario here, but anything more than a slap on the wrist is not gonna be good for you)

Another example of something they could interpret in this manner, and could be considered supportive of the 'at worst case' scenario, is the Gateway screen - Thank you for choosing the Star Trek Online Companion App.

You need to consider clarifying the position of the App and your 'non' association with PWE/Cryptic. The best way to do this is adding 'unnoficial' to the logo artwork, and having a 3-5sec flash loading screen stating that all logos etc etc belong to etc etc. and most importantly never ever refer to your App, or any distributed product, as being the Star Trek Online anything. the unnoficial star trek online something would maybe serve you better lol.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
  • Options
    abraxillimabraxillim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014

What you're looking for is called an "APK" file. It's the file that's downloaded when you download an app. If OP wants to give it to you, you'll have to enable untrusted sources on the phone. Same thing I went through before paying for my Google Developer fee.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    qziqza wrote: »
    While reading this, just remember, most consumers dont think past pretty visuals, and are happy to be told what they like and why they like it.

So just got through playing with the App some more, and had me a little 3rd party thinking. I like the App it has great potential, however a few things for you to think about..

The main logo for your App is a registered trademark, you will need to modify it, change it or at the very least provide a visible disclaimer each and every time you use it. Though the App may be free, you are still distributing a product using another companies Logo.

At best PWE/Cryptic could see the use of this Logo as being incidently missleading to consumers, who may think they are using an officially licensed product - slap on the wrist, little red in the face.

At worst PWE/Cryptic could take legal action believing you are purposely trying to misslead consumers into thinking it is an offically licensed product. (ok, worst case scenario here, but anything more than a slap on the wrist is not gonna be good for you)

Another example of something they could interpret in this manner, and could be considered supportive of the 'at worst case' scenario, is the Gateway screen - Thank you for choosing the Star Trek Online Companion App.

You need to consider clarifying the position of the App and your 'non' association with PWE/Cryptic. The best way to do this is adding 'unnoficial' to the logo artwork, and having a 3-5sec flash loading screen stating that all logos etc etc belong to etc etc. and most importantly never ever refer to your App, or any distributed product, as being the Star Trek Online anything. the unnoficial star trek online something would maybe serve you better lol.

I appreciate the feedback. I'll consider this and work on a way to incorporate this into the beta version. The beta has the non-association when you tap about screen, and I'll consider the logo change. Though if you look at most documentation I've put out (the quick Web page, and asp store pages), I always mention the non-association and give TM credit to CBS and Cryptic.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Hello fellow players!

Due to technical difficulties, I am unable to release the app in time with Delta Rising. In the mean time, I am working on some alternatives to release a better version of the app than the current quick release. With the main idea I have in my head, I'll probably be required to do ads at the start, but with some donations, I can afford to pay the monthly fee for no ads.

Good news!
    Although it would require ads, I would also be able to place it on iOS as well as my favorite, Android. Any Windows Phone users would not get a dedicated app, but would have access to a web-based version!

Bad news...
    Biggest is that it would require ads at first. The service costs $40/month, but being a lowly college student, that's a little out of my price range...jobs where I am are not the best for me yet. Another is limited customization. I know one Player asked for a slide-out menu. That would not be possible. However, feedback is important, but will be difficult to implement without funding; the damn service has its ways of getting money.

Please let me know what you think, and just so I get it faster, please use the form on the App Page. I don't mind repeated responses from different people.

Take care, fellow players!

• Options
    edited October 2014
    For those that have not kept up, the new app is available! Check out the App Landing Page for more information, or launch the Quick Release's Gateway tab!

Go!