test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

has the game died?

hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
well has it, I mean this TRIBBLE DR just sucks, it really does. I give it 6 months and they throw out a borg lockbox to milk the last zen out of people then they shut it down.

R.I.P STO
cause of death" Ebola bug causing poor game mechanics
"Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
Post edited by hajmyis on

Comments

• Options
    jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hajmyis wrote: »
    well has it, I mean this TRIBBLE DR just sucks, it really does. I give it 6 months and they throw out a borg lockbox to milk the last zen out of people then they shut it down.

R.I.P STO

hehe, if anything MORE people are logged in now than before DR
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, DOOOOOOOOOOOMYYYYYY, DOOOOOOOOOM, DOOM!!!

yeah, same EXACT thing happened when the race got nerfed, game is still around.

This game is based on an INCREDIBLY famous IP, it is not dieing anytime soon unless they completly change how the game is played ala Star wars galaxy.
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Pre nerf maybe.... post? We'll see...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

ya, true, but dont mean they stay.
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited October 2014

R.I.P STO

LMAO... you're not serious, this game is far from dead. You have enough Cryptic fanboi's that'll keep it alive, plus it's really the only semi-casual Space MMO out there, and really the only Star Trek game left standing. It can't die.

Cryptic knows this too, which is why they're able to treat their customers the way they do, because they know regardless of what they do, there is a decent size people that will always... always... play Star Trek regardless of what they say or do.

Besides in 6 months they'll release the next episode and be right as rain again. Sure the episode will last a total of 1 hour, and add more bugs on top of the bugs that DR released. Sure by then playing in anything other then DR and queues will be concidered explotive and the rest of the game will be turned off to the player base.

But they know they can do it because they carry the name Star Trek on their brand.
  • Options
    pegasuscicpegasuscic Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ya, true, but dont mean they stay.

They may not stay, but they will probably have bought some over-priced shiny from the store while they were here. So it's a win. PWE got their money. PT Barnum said it best: "There's a sucker born every minute".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
  • Options
    christianmacchristianmac Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    LMAO... you're not serious, this game is far from dead. You have enough Cryptic fanboi's that'll keep it alive, plus it's really the only semi-casual Space MMO out there, and really the only Star Trek game left standing. It can't die.

Cryptic knows this too, which is why they're able to treat their customers the way they do, because they know regardless of what they do, there is a decent size people that will always... always... play Star Trek regardless of what they say or do.

Besides in 6 months they'll release the next episode and be right as rain again. Sure the episode will last a total of 1 hour, and add more bugs on top of the bugs that DR released. Sure by then playing in anything other then DR and queues will be concidered explotive and the rest of the game will be turned off to the player base.

But they know they can do it because they carry the name Star Trek on their brand.

You should realize that they are releasing a whole new string of episodes. And this game isn't going ANYWHERE.
    77TH FIGHTER SQUADRON
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I odn't think STO has died. he name 'Star Trek' will keep it alive for a while still.

Faith in the game for the current playerbase, however, has well and trully died, murdered, nothing left but a blood stain, chalk outline and a grieving widow.

And nothing - NOTHING - grets around aster than negative word of mouth... any new player that bothers to read the forums or talk to present players will not be filled with confidence
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    pegasuscic wrote: »
    They may not stay, but they will probably have bought some over-priced shiny from the store while they were here. So it's a win. PWE got their money. PT Barnum said it best: "There's a sucker born every minute".

sadly that is true
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Not died, no. But I bet DR is making a lot of people think really hard about whether they still want to continue, or whether they're fed up.

And new players you say? They'll stay a week or two, until the enormity of the DR cost involved to stay competitive starts sinking in. And to think only a few months ago the rep system had to be nerfed, because of, OMG, the new players that might feel they could not compete! The irony of this is so bitter, even saying it's not funy any more isn't funny any more.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Not died, no. But I bet DR is making a lot of people think really hard about whether they still want to continue, or whether they're fed up.

And new players you say? They'll stay a week or two, until the enormity of the DR cost involved to stay competitive starts sinking in. And to think only a few months ago the rep system had to be nerfed, because of, OMG, the new players that might feel they could not compete! The irony of this is so bitter, even saying it's not funy any more isn't funny any more.

If you honestly believed Cryptic when they said they were nerfing the rep system because of the new players... I have a dyson sphere I'd like to sell you. It's like believing Q when he said they were closing Tau Dewa because of "exploitive behavior."

They don't do ANYTHING unless it somehow effects their bottom line. They don't care about competativeness. They don't care about power creep. They care about dollars/pounds/yen
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    If you honestly believed Cryptic when they said they were nerfing the rep system because of the new players... I have a dyson sphere I'd like to sell you. It's like believing Q when he said they were closing Tau Dewa because of "exploitive behavior."

They don't do ANYTHING unless it somehow effects their bottom line. They don't care about competativeness. They don't care about power creep. They care about dollars/pounds/yen

No, LOL, I was being sarcastic, trying to show the immense hypocracy of their reasoning. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Dont no about the game being dead but think i will long before i ever reach EPIC.......

60 year old fed up p----d off STO player.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    These threads have been appearing since just after launch so they have lost all meaning. The game is dying since nothing lasts forever, but whether that is 6 months from now or 10 years from now remains to be seen.
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Nah, this game will not likely die. All they have to do is keep throwing in new and original ships like the Intel series to draw in casuals who don't care much about keeping to "traditional" designs, and throwing out enough new "traditional" designs to keep the hardcore minority playing and paying. And as an afterthought, throw in yet another refit/retrofit of an old design.

Heck, I'll admit that the Intel ships really drew me into playing and paying for that pack; I've grown tired of seeing the same ships I used to enjoy from my childhood, and probably would just have stayed away from the game if it weren't for something really new. I'd rather take more Intel ships than yet another Excelsior or Galaxy variant. If I have to see T6 versions of older T5s, I'd rather see Mirror versions of them.

I like technological progression. I don't mind occasional ancient ships still being useful since it happens in the real world, but I do like to see new ships with elements of the old. The Intel series plus the Guardian and Dauntless fits the bill perfectly. I also wouldn't mind seeing T6 Fleet Odysseys, Vestas, Avengers, Scimitars, Mogh, and Bortesqu' ships to pad T6 Fleet choices, since they're fairly new in terms of in-game canon as well as design.
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No, the game hasn't died, just like it hasn't died the numerous other times people have asked if it's dead.

I have quite a few issues with STO, especially considering in the past I was a PvPer.

But Tau Dewa? Sorry, can't sum up even the remotest bit of anger regarding that. It may not have been an all out exploit, but it was pretty damn close. Can you imagine a game being deliberately designed so someone can hit max level in a few hours by doing one mission repeatedly? I can't either.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Monetarily? No, it will live on because PWE makes bucket loads of cash off of it.

Essentially? Yes. The essence of the game has died. It's beyond just making money and making a good Trek game, it's making money, loads of it, and using the Trek wrapper to keep it going.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    orondis wrote: »
    But Tau Dewa? Sorry, can't sum up even the remotest bit of anger regarding that. It may not have been an all out exploit, but it was pretty damn close. Can you imagine a game being deliberately designed so someone can hit max level in a few hours by doing one mission repeatedly? I can't either.

No offense, but your lack of imagination should not become the measure of all reason. What is next? People doing 50k+ is not something you can imagine?! And now they're exploiters? And that one guy who leveled up to lv 60 inside of 3.5 hours, just running solo missions at DS9, was that an exploit too?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    orondis wrote: »
    No, the game hasn't died, just like it hasn't died the numerous other times people have asked if it's dead.

This. Every change does not spell doom.

The game is alive and well. And they brought back real Star Trek characters for an impressive expansion. Is it everything that absolutely everyone wanted? No, and that's impossible to do anyways. Is it a great addition? Yes, and they've promised more content on the way.

They've even opened up a whole new branch of character evolution with the specialization trees. Listen to podcasts like Priority One, and you'll hear that the Devs have designed systems like that for further expansion. There is more to come.

The game will continue to evolve. And Cryptic will continue to make the post-DR launch adjustments that they gave us plenty of warning they would do.
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    No offense, but your lack of imagination should not become the measure of all reason. What is next?

What has "imagination" got to do with it?

People were using the none-level matching NPCs in Tau Dewa to quickly and easily grind 10 levels.

Now, think of it a developers point of view. Do you really think that was intended?

Recent Patch Notes:-
    All Patrols and Deep Space Encounters in the Tau Dewa Sector now spawn NPCs at the correct level.

I'd say it wasn't.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,827 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    God forbid people can't finish their elite in two minutes anymore! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    chipg7 wrote: »
    This. Every change does not spell doom.

But not every player is a fanboy willing to put up with the continuity of crapola that cryptic has dished out this time.

Fanboys will say everything is fine everything is good every change is great nothing is wrong etc etc etc.

Just a point not every change is good

And DR truly isnt a good change it seems to me there are far more issues with this expansion then the LoR expnasion.

Personally ive watched many players quit and my own self in doubt whether or not i will play again or not.

This "Change" has all but killed the casual player in STO and this lame eploit excuse to close tau dewa is because the players figured a way around the epic grind fest of DR and cryptic cant have that now can they.

Either they relise they just shot themselves in the foot and fix it or they do nothing and watch the game slowly demenish.

If your wondering what STO COULD look like in 1-2 years go look at battlestar galactica online its is still around but not many players and those are fanboys and diehards.

all the casuals have long left that game zombie long dead but still exists imho thats STOs future it will exists but only for the few players still hanging on.

DR for me at least is the begining of the end of the casual player on STO where this path leads? again look no further the Battlestar galactica online .
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    Not doom.. Not like this type of doom.

Killing the casual player? Hell yeah.

The game will change. Fewer players will play for free because they can't compete. Paying players will play less, because what's the point of playing if you can't with your friends.

The game will get better. Because I have this insane idea Cryptic may get it right. Would you want to be the one responsible for TRIBBLE up the best IP in Sci Fi?
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2014

a one week pop bump? we will see lol
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Even if the game is dying ... it'll probably be a floating corpse for next 5 years -> see SWG
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If STO is dead WTF is champions? :P
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    zztopperszztoppers Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What Game?
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    But not every player is a fanboy willing to put up with the continuity of crapola that cryptic has dished out this time.
    And DR truly isnt a good change it seems to me there are far more issues with this expansion then the LoR expnasion.

Personally ive watched many players quit and my own self in doubt whether or not i will play again or not.

I really don't see why DR would be the end-of-play reason for people. DR has barely been out a week. There will be early-adopter issues, as with any other product launch or major update. But the Devs have been working pretty hard to fix most of them, quickly.

Cryptic also said since day 1 that they will monitor DR and re-balance where needed. Hence tomorrow's patch, which will fix some of the initial scaling problems in PvE.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    If STO is dead WTF is champions? :P

zombie... like the really old mmos that are still around. it keep going because it doesn't know how to die :P

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    cheesebasketcheesebasket Member Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Braaaains...

Speaking of zombies... Global agenda got so bad hi Rez never took the servers offline for maintenance...

There was literally a way under the second open world map where you could travel underground and get mobs with relative impunity because they couldn't shoot through the ground.
    It was a total exploit due to a gapeing hole in the side of a fake doorway at the end of the map.
    I think they finally killed it earlier this year... Whiles saying they were working on a GA2
    The hamster will RULE ALLL....

Mwahahahahahahaha