thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Federation Discussion
Intel Cruiser RAVAGING Starbase 234

No really. Ravaging. Video inside.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• christianmacchristianmac Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Did Tau dewa patrol and was LOLing as my phantom was one shoting the mogais with phaser lance.
    77TH FIGHTER SQUADRON
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    thissler wrote: »

Ah, Ionic Turbulence, the most amusing boff ability in STO. I am seriously considering an Intel ship just to run it for the hilariousness...
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah got to say I'm loving Ionic Turbulence.

Transport Warhead is sadly no where near as potent as I had hoped. I mean it's fine against players, but against NPCs it's a drop in the ocean. Plus it's arc based (even the wide arc quantum is limited to a 90 degree arc with this power).

Hoping for a fleet variant soon of the Eclipse intel battlecruiser.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    Ah, Ionic Turbulence, the most amusing boff ability in STO. I am seriously considering an Intel ship just to run it for the hilariousness...
    You should you'll love what it does to gates!

Hard to say what ship I like the best. The scryer is just so much fun with GW plus Ionic and some spreads.

Enjoy whatever one you choose mate!
  • thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    orondis wrote: »
    Yeah got to say I'm loving Ionic Turbulence.

Transport Warhead is sadly no where near as potent as I had hoped. I mean it's fine against players, but against NPCs it's a drop in the ocean. Plus it's arc based (even the wide arc quantum is limited to a 90 degree arc with this power).

Hoping for a fleet variant soon of the Eclipse intel battlecruiser.

Yah, when I had the chance to question 'firing arc' on a transported torpedo I totally didn't think of it.

It is better than a HYT vs targets with shields. Or...and wait for it. Or for when you just don't have the Tac to spare for torpedoes, but you want some, or when you really want the 'on the hull' damage. Anyhoo's that's all I know!

Peace.
  • f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    First off, I love the videos. Been following them for awhile now, so thanks for doing them.

Secondly, man this ship with Int. abilities is just god like. Nothing can take it down, and the Int. powers are just so much fun.
    My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You should you'll love what it does to gates!

Hard to say what ship I like the best. The scryer is just so much fun with GW plus Ionic and some spreads.

Enjoy whatever one you choose mate!

Well, its only about 2 months Dil grind for the 9-pack so I could just get them all, it isn't like I will be doing anything else important during that time...
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Thank you for the video. Was very nice and showed everything, but I have a question: does Battle Ready starship trait stacks 3 times as it was advertised when it was announced on dev blog, or is just 1 single stack? In the description it doesnt seem to say anything about stacks :/. I tried to follow on video the buff icon but they are kinda small... And it doesnt seem to match the visual icons, the one from the stats window with the tiny buff icons.
    Got the phantom and i was wandering if is worth getting the eclipse just for the trait.
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I did notice something odd when messing with my eclipse in the starship editor.

I have no idea if its intentional or not, but it seems all the intel class ships can use the nacelles of the other intel ships. and the eclipse looks really weird with phantom nacelles on it.
  • perfectshipsperfectships Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tenkari wrote: »

I have no idea if its intentional or not, but it seems all the intel class ships can use the nacelles of the other intel ships. and the eclipse looks really weird with phantom nacelles on it.

Dunno, I found that using Scryer upper nacelles and Phantom lower ones makes the Eclipse look pretty slick!:cool:
  • svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tenkari wrote: »

The scryer looks pretty slick with the eclipse nacelles.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    svindal777 wrote: »
    The scryer looks pretty slick with the eclipse nacelles.

I did notice the phantom with eclipse nacelles looks a bit like a saber.

also, the main reason why i was commenting on the eclipse with phantom nacelles is that they remind me of the short stubby engines the ships in the starship troopers movies had, since they had 4 short engines on them too.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Dunno, I found that using Scryer upper nacelles and Phantom lower ones makes the Eclipse look pretty slick!:cool:

I think I've seen your ship; or at least one using the same combination of nacelles. It did look pretty good, but I couldn't help but think that if they were going to let it use Phantom nacelles they could at least have stretched them out a bit; they're just too short for that saucer.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm loving the Eclipse, can't wait for the fleet version. I'm finding it practically invulnerable in some of the space combat, no idea why though!

Out of pure interest I have an icon on my screen than is for "warp signature masking", anyone have a clue what that is for? I hadn't noticed it until i started using the Eclipse, i'm guessing it's some fancy trait it has?
    SulMatuul.png
  • red22314red22314 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well i think it Looks a Little bit too flat but its a very efficient ship
    You will give me a Cookie....resistance is futile
  • knockyknocky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Stop fondling those nacelles!

Focus on reading the articles and discussing powers/setup.

:cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I had a post in the KDF subforums regarding the Qib Intel Battlecruiser here. Those points can easily be applied to the Eclipse because they're practically identical.
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited October 2014
    capnmanx wrote: »
    I think I've seen your ship; or at least one using the same combination of nacelles. It did look pretty good, but I couldn't help but think that if they were going to let it use Phantom nacelles they could at least have stretched them out a bit; they're just too short for that saucer.

If she was white with buff and black trim and no Tron lines, called "Izumrud", then she was mine.:) Though I do occasionally enable the J'H shield visuals: Stealf BlackTM finish with purple glowies and purple Polarons - looks deadly!

I agree that the Phantom nacelles could be a bit longer and slimmer, but if you have them as lower you can't really see them much from most angles, since they're obscured by the Scryer upper ones. The different lengths nicely flow with the lines of the aft hull IMO.

Plus I wouldn't complain too much about the Phantom ones being too short, since when this company gives you a nice little unexpected bonus like this being able to use different Intel nacelles - don't knock it mate!:D Hopefully this isn't one of those unintended bugs that people like that then gets insta-fixed while leaving all the game-breaking bugs that everyone hates....

I'll give the designer props for this one: Once you swap the nacelles and paint her white/pale grey, I'd say that the Eclipse does actually look like the next logical evolution of the Constellation -> Cheyenne -> Prometheus line, and fits quite nicely as a future ST ship. Using SS, rather than FaW or BO also feels more like what you see on the screen when ST ships fight with beams. Throw in her Gather Intel and she really does feel like a Fed ship from the shows, IMO... well, except for not using torps in this build.... I'm going to have to have a look at that since she also has some abilities that might make torps viable for me - I'd love to include them if there wasn't much of a DPS penalty for doing so.
  • mrgrocer56mrgrocer56 Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I was totally prepared to hate the Eclipse, instead I loved it, once I found Surgical Strikes....wow. Good bye FAW! And Good Riddance.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    mrgrocer56 wrote: »
    I was totally prepared to hate the Eclipse, instead I loved it, once I found Surgical Strikes....wow. Good bye FAW! And Good Riddance.

Same here. I really hated the Eclipse from the early screenshots. I wanted nothing to do with it. Then I found out that I could play a beam cruiser without having to use FAW. That's something I've always wanted. Picked one up a few days ago and haven't regretted it. Probably one of the best ship buys I've done. Surgical Strikes really is a thing of beauty.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited October 2014
    knocky wrote: »
    Stop fondling those nacelles!

Focus on reading the articles and discussing powers/setup.

:cool:

Does no harm to discuss aesthetics and stuff for a bit. You asked in the Galaxy thread if anyone had run an Eclipse Override Safetiesx2 and SSx2 build?

Aye. Bearing in mind that this char/ship has been hit by the tray reversion bug big time, so this limits what I can do to fully test the ship out and tweak her properly. Every time I transition to a ground map and back, her entire tray gets reset to 'factory default' so I haven't been able to do any new mission content, and every time I beam to ESD to retrain BOFFs or grab a bit of gear from my bank, I have to reset ~40 buttons... so that's putting a bit of a ball and chain on my usual tweaking enthusiasm. It also means that I'm sticking to only my one char who has the bug (an Eng) and trying not to use my Tac until this bug gets sorted.

So it's only really a preliminary build, and hopefully folks'll give me some leeway on that.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=izumrudpreliminary_0

[EDIT: Looks like the skill planner is doing what my ship is doing and rejecting my BOFF icons.
    Intel: OSS1, OSSII, SS1, SSII;
    Sci: HEI, STII.]

[EDIT 2: The game currently thinks that the Experimental Proton Weapon is a Phaser Cannon when SS is activated, though you still get the two piece +3 crit chance bonus.... Ah, STO - every day a new adventure....]

Preliminary findings:-

DR has mostly increased the HP on enemies but not really how hard they shoot back at you.

Most Cruisers now get enough Mastery buffs to survivability that they're about equal to the previous (pre-DR) uber-tanks like the Flambo. Since any more survivability than this is effectively useless surplus (most of the time), the ships that also have some damage-dealing Mastery buffs are now more efficient than the Cruisers who only get surplus tanking buffs.

Without upgrading any gear, enemy HP increase has increased by a larger margin than the extra shooting power you get from having an additional console (including a Tac one) on your Upgraded F/T5.

But they seem to have really buffed small craft. So pure old school beam Cruisers (especially if they have no offensive Mastery buffs) have been pushed right backwards in their relative ability to kill enemies quickly, but if they have craft then this is less so (especially if the ship has some offensive Mastery buffs).

This makes the Fleet Galaxy Dread-U one of the best of the old school (big, beam broadside, no Intel) Fed Cruisers now - at least in the hands of an Engineer who is sticking to the BOFF abilities that they can normally train/buy (so no FaWIII etc) themselves. Again, I couldn't test as much as I'd have liked, since most of this char's ships are now being afflicted with the power tray bug, but the FT5-U Galaxy Dread killed stuff noticeably much faster than my Tac Odyssey-U or Flambo-U. Pre-DR, the Flambo and F Galaxy Dread were roughly tied as my best killer Cruisers: Now the Galaxy Dread is miles better in damage output. RIP 'Ol' Dependable' Flambo....:(

The Eclipse build above was the only Cruiser I tested that was anywhere near to being the equal of the Gal Dread (in fact being the same), and curiously constantly averages exactly the same time vs Starbase 234 as the Gal Dread - and pretty much exactly the same at Carraya, though Carraya's now too bugged to be as useful as it was for testing purposes. It's as if they used the now buffed Gal Dread as the benchmark for the Eclipse's balance, the numbers are so identical....

The description says that Override Safeties takes a subsystem offline for 4 secs, but it's nowhere near that long at all. Most times you don't even notice the subsystem going offline, and I always try to keep my ET unused for situations like this: Oops, weapons/shields went offline at an inconvenient moment, hit ET - sorted!

SS is an awesome ship-melter, that feels great to use: kind of surgical and methodical, as it should be - especially for Feds. It's a real O.O how quickly it can insta-melt ships that otherwise took a fair few salvos to take out.

SS seems to get compared to FaW a lot but it's more like a series of mini-BOs. I've always liked having both FaW and BO on my ships. BO still has a place for those who construct an entire vape build around it, but for 'casual BO users' like me, SS is way better in all ways.

I think that there's still a place for FaW alongside SS (slots allowing - that's what I'll be tinkering with next), since FaW still fills lots of niches: Emergency point defence vs uber-torps/fighters/tractor-mines, freeing yourself from Tholian Webs, spreading the APB love amongst a large group of targets that your team's shooting at etc. I guess the main problem with this would be that if you wanted the FaW more for its PD properties, it'll no doubt still be on CD (from your use of SS) when you need it.

On t'other hand, SS is also great for taking out those hard to hit things like torps/fighters (if, like me, you don't tend to use Acc mods for most of your beams in PvE) given the Acc bonus. I mean in theory, but in practice there's another bug where I can rarely even click on most small and fast targets to target them (which can be a bit hair-raising when it's a Borg glowy doom-ball getting ever closer... click, click, click - come on!!!), so FaW's handy for that.

And something that's made me happy is that I went to great expense to purchase a full set of eight Polaron CrtDx3 beams... only to find that no Fed Cruiser could get the crit chance up high enough that this generated more average damage - in fact it was noticeably less than using beams with a CrtH in the otherwise CrtD mix. I kept one of 'em in my first slot fore and aft (for BOs) but the other six have just been sat in my bank since - gutted!!!

But now, for the first time, the Eclipse's SSx2 gives such a crit chance bonus that going all CrtDx3 (except for the Exp Proton weapon) now yields an average damage increase - and a huge one at that: huzzah!:D

[Though I'll test this vs all CrtDx2 Protonic Polarons, and a mix of the two types which may well yield the best results.]

Finally, it might be the Gather Intel/Expose ability that makes the Eclipse clock exactly the same time as the Gal Dread vs SB234, since both this ability and some craft tend to excel against big, immobile targets that take ages to kill. It's a nice, characterful ability, that's rarely useful (most targets get slaughtered before the Expose option kicks in) - but when Expose (Defences) does kick in, you palpably do more damage against those HP-sacks than you would otherwise.

Lol, there's some preliminary thoughts for you, since you did ask.:) As always, YMMV and please allow for the horrible bug (and server) problems I'm currently experiencing before any obnoxious types jump in - yes, I know that the build needs further development and refinement - this is literally the starting point - and I will when the infernal game lets me.

Cheers.
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Aye. Bearing in mind that this char/ship has been hit by the tray reversion bug big time, so this limits what I can do to fully test the ship out and tweak her properly. Every time I transition to a ground map and back, her entire tray gets reset to 'factory default' so I haven't been able to do any new mission content, and every time I beam to ESD to retrain BOFFs or grab a bit of gear from my bank, I have to reset ~40 buttons... so that's putting a bit of a ball and chain on my usual tweaking enthusiasm.

This seems to be a recurring theme EVERY TIME Cryptic starts a new season or extension.

I just remembered that it's possible to setup keybinds (http://hilbertguide.com/), you may want to do this. It would be tedious the first time but once it is setup, you hit one key and everything is loaded. Disadvantage is that it is not flexible and would overwrite changes.

Just a thought.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
    edited October 2014
    sirokk wrote: »
    This seems to be a recurring theme EVERY TIME Cryptic starts a new season or extension.

I just remembered that it's possible to setup keybinds (http://hilbertguide.com/), you may want to do this. It would be tedious the first time but once it is setup, you hit one key and everything is loaded. Disadvantage is that it is not flexible and would overwrite changes.

Just a thought.

Aye, the last time I had this bug this bad was pretty soon after LoR went live. It had just finally settled down just before DR - and now it's back in full effect!:mad:

Cheers for your tip but I'm an incorrigible build tweaker and tinkerer - that being about the only thing left in the game I enjoy - so I need flexibility. Thanks again for the helpful suggestion though.:)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The Nacelle interchangeability is a nice feature, and I believe it was actually mentioned by one of the designers. Also nice that you can get "traditional" looking nacelles and hull materials.

And yes, that you can now buff your weapons without FAW or CRF is certainly a nice feature.
    That said... The ship can als use Cannons and is pretty maneuverability, isn't it?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • scramspamscramspam Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I love my eclipse! I get 55 turn major dps and a sick paint job!!
    PoPeRz WiLl PoPeRz Ur BoPeRz UnTilz PoPeRz GeTz GaNkz
  • revelator6674revelator6674 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Started out with the guardian, because I loved the versatility it had. Then I tried the Eclipse. I'm not sure I can go back to flying anything else, it's a pretty awesome ship.
  • psyloafpsyloaf Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The Nacelle interchangeability is a nice feature, and I believe it was actually mentioned by one of the designers. Also nice that you can get "traditional" looking nacelles and hull materials.

And yes, that you can now buff your weapons without FAW or CRF is certainly a nice feature.
    That said... The ship can als use Cannons and is pretty maneuverability, isn't it?

Yes it can. I'm thinking of trying a hybrid cannon/beam build, seeing as Surgical Strikes buff both simultaneously.
    Fleet Advanced Research Vessel T6
    Commander Science, Lieutenant Commander Engineering, Lieutenant Commander Universal, Lieutenant Tactical, Ensign Science
    edited October 2014

Hi, I want to ask this generally, in a new thread, but since the patch last week; how does your Eclipse fare now vs SB234?

I have a great Eclipse build, but now that the SB scales to your level, I've found it progressively difficult to kill the SB before time-out: And at lvl 59 now, it is all but impossible (since I haven't upgraded my gear).

It's knocked my confidence a bit, and I'd love to know how other players are getting on.

Cheers.