test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Elite and Advanced, What Developers Should DO (Take Note Plz)

st3a1th2st3a1th2 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Federation Discussion
Listening to a lot of people on there server etc and though playing the game myself I can't help feel that simply upping the DPS and health of the enemy was at all in the best interest. However that being said it does feel like you are in a real battle now. So I do feel it was right to increase in number of enemies.

Solution

What should have been done. Each species should have a different counter attack for example when in space battle against the Borg we should be made to remoulade our weapons and shields as you see in the series and like you already do with weapons in ground combat. This wilt the extra enemies and maybe a slightly increased HP and DPS (Hence Slightly) would still make it harder for people as you already have extra enemies but also make it feel more tactical and fun to place. All you would need to do is to add devices to you ship that gives you the required ability. What things you would do for other species I am not sure but I guess you can work that out :)

You listen when I brought up the ideal of RED Alerts years ago so lets hope you listen to this ideal. Lets make it this game even more fun. I have been playing this game since launch and I feel to truly bring this game forward this is the right direction.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    leokesler2012leokesler2012 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My biggest complain about the new Advanced / Elite queues is: the rewards are not sufficient for the difficulty imposed. And so, I do not feel motivated to push myself to keep playing.
  • Options
    satinpondsatinpond Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sorry, kudos for suggesting it but... I totally disagree with requiring players to remodule weapons/shields in space combat vs. the Borg. Bad idea. Space is too fast paced, we don't have time to be TRIBBLE around doing annoying things like that constantly. It's already hard enough to coordinate teams and keep an eye on the battle area and zip from place to place doing what needs to be done. This is just not a feasible idea at all.
  • Options
    crusaderxenocrusaderxeno Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My biggest complain about the new Advanced / Elite queues is: the rewards are not sufficient for the difficulty imposed. And so, I do not feel motivated to push myself to keep playing.

^^^This, nuff said.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm very happy with difficulty levels that require higher mark equipment to complete the optionals (rather than that gear simply being there to complete them faster). I'm not happy with Borg Neural Processors and very rare R&D mats no longer being easily obtainable by new players. It's like, you need the gear to get the items to get the gear now, it's asinine and sucks for any new player. Most of us already have this stuff, but think of the players who have to go into this content with vendor trash at best. The difficulty gap is just too large for them.
  • Options
    awlaforgeawlaforge Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm very happy with difficulty levels that require higher mark equipment to complete the optionals (rather than that gear simply being there to complete them faster). I'm not happy with Borg Neural Processors and very rare R&D mats no longer being easily obtainable by new players. It's like, you need the gear to get the items to get the gear now, it's asinine and sucks for any new player. Most of us already have this stuff, but think of the players who have to go into this content with vendor trash at best. The difficulty gap is just too large for them.

I agree. I just got my butt handed to me in the Crystiline Entity. With a deceint team, It did not take too long to complete. Furthermore, most of the R&D mats you need are hidden behind next to impossible missions to complete. There is no real reward for the "easy" missions.
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's a money grubbing tactic. It's intentional. It's not a bug. That's why they aren't commenting on it. It fits in line with their behavior in recent major patches and seasons, and it's quite logical in the sick twisted Cryptic way.

As for the podcast? P.R. Funnel. We all know it. Nobody takes it seriously. Sadly, I need to correct that: CRYPTIC takes it seriously, as it's a 1-way dialogue and they don't have to field any actual... you know.... outrage when they say outrage-worthy things.

As for Cryptic listening? No. They follow one man's lead, and he has pre-formed ideas (as distanced from reality and this game as they may be) and run with whatever he says, regardless of logic or player dissent.

I'm not saying you can make a large playerbase happy all the time, and yes I know quite a bit about dev/player interactions and how sometimes you have to make hard choices, buy Cryptic is the worst dev team out there right now. There is no recourse, no give and take. The entire game is a paid-money time-gated quagmire and getting worse every time Cryptic gets prodded by PWE to be more profitable.
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,529 Arc User
    edited October 2014

This is exactly it for me. Getting through the longer battles sure is boring but if the reward was worth the effort, then it wouldn't be so bad. The enemies aren't really tougher. They are just more durable but pose little to no risk to my survivability.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    rygelx16rygelx16 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Remodulate was one of the worst mechanics they ever implemented, please no to a space version.
  • Options
    jacenjacen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've been playing for several years and came up to the point where I could do the old "advanced" difficulty without much trouble, I felt it was a fair investment of time vs rewards and fast enough to be fun. The new system feels like it was upped by a lazy programmer who just did a quick fix for the new level and weapon increase.

More HP, DPS and number of enemies should not be how you increase difficulty, every single enemy should have a fixed HP no matter what level. The difference between difficulties should be Better AI (more use of abilities, concentrating fire on the target that´s doing more DPS or attacking a key structure or ship required for victory, etc.), an increase of enemy ships (2 Borg Cubes instead of one, etc) and a requirement for optional objectives, even shortening the time needed to complete the mission.

Turning all enemies into a Goliath that's ridiculously hard to kill just because it should be "harder" makes no freekin sense, it just makes the game slower, more tedious, boring and making it almost impossible to obtain the high end rewards needed to increase level in the items required to shorten the time spent to kill a Borg cube with a "billion HP"

My advice, get your act together, and stop making quick fixes just because. Put a little more effort into the challenge, and just STOP adding numbers to hull or damage because it is just easier and faster.

Or keep doing that and say goodbye to STO cause there will be few people left to pay for your salaries.
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    OP, this should have gone into Geko's thread where he asked for feedback.

On another note, it's obvious the master plan between the revamped Crafting system, the new ship Tiers, new console levels, etc. has failed. rodentmaster is being kind with his post; but there also comes a time where complaints don't register... and it's time to step away from all of this.

Cryptic needs to realize players aren't going to be forced into paying for rare crafting resources on the C-Store, in order to quickly craft (or upgrade existing) items for the more challenging missions.

And reducing rewards is pure idiocy.

It's Friday, just a few days after the DR release. Bugs were expected, even server crashes. But the lack of responsiveness to these issues is mind-numbingly crazy.

Walk away from STO this weekend. Take a break.
    The Devs want #s to see what's working, what isn't? Give them the #s by not adding to them.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's a money grubbing tactic.

Nah, not buying it. There are a hundred different ways they could turn more profit off this game. Hell, not doing R&D/upgrades and just making you buy all new gear with more dilithium than upgrades take (which are cheap) would've worked better.

This just seems like a poorly thought out way of giving the player base what they wanted: An actual challenge for a change. The elite queues were a joke, the rep gear was unneeded, and there was really nothing for level 50 characters to aspire to aside from finishing rep (for gear/traits they didn't need) and getting new ships. Unfortunately, the huge spike in damage required puts the advanced queues out of range of inexperienced players.
  • Options
    mementoedenmementoeden Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    But it is a money grab. Correct me if i am wrong but do very rare materials for R&D drop in normal mode? I dont think so and if so very very rarely. Second i dont think that any items required to get reputation gear drop in normal mode only in advanced or elite, again correct me if i am wrong. Now imagine a new free 2 play player just finishing story mission ready for pve content. All he can do is normal mode meaning no way to get the rep gear and ofc materials to get better weapons. He cant buy anything too much ec and cryptic happily decreased sell rates of items aint that great. Before the expansion i could do any stf elite in pugs, now i cant meaning no supply of much needed resources for me. Yea i do pugs i dont do private events no thank you but i guess crypytic just killed pugs now. At the time i wrote this i flailed 3 advanced ques, all my team just left we just couldnt get enough dps....yea only dps now matters which makes me obsolete. Before that i had good hull and resistance and moderate dps making me get good results in stf, in fact almost always first place in CE because i could sustain constant fire under pressure...now not anymore. If their idea to harden their game was to increase health and attack of the enemies why not ask my 3 year old sister to do it, she could just as easily made those numbers for them...If players wanted the challenge they only should have increased the difficulty on elite and leave advanced as old "elite" so new and f2p players can still get rewards and items that they need not this... And if somehow i do complete and advanced pug the rewards are just criminal. So is the fact that to upgrade t5 ships you need to spend 750 zen omg.., Imagine first buying the ship...then buying the fleet version and then spending 750 zen to get something near t6...just criminal. To say that this game is NOT going the way of too much money grabbing or galactic grinding is a lie.
  • Options
    skylarcometskylarcomet Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    But it is a money grab. Correct me if i am wrong but do very rare materials for R&D drop in normal mode? I dont think so and if so very very rarely. Second i dont think that any items required to get reputation gear drop in normal mode only in advanced or elite, again correct me if i am wrong. Now imagine a new free 2 play player just finishing story mission ready for pve content. All he can do is normal mode meaning no way to get the rep gear and ofc materials to get better weapons. He cant buy anything too much ec and cryptic happily decreased sell rates of items aint that great. Before the expansion i could do any stf elite in pugs, now i cant meaning no supply of much needed resources for me. Yea i do pugs i dont do private events no thank you but i guess crypytic just killed pugs now. At the time i wrote this i flailed 3 advanced ques, all my team just left we just couldnt get enough dps....yea only dps now matters which makes me obsolete. Before that i had good hull and resistance and moderate dps making me get good results in stf, in fact almost always first place in CE because i could sustain constant fire under pressure...now not anymore. If their idea to harden their game was to increase health and attack of the enemies why not ask my 3 year old sister to do it, she could just as easily made those numbers for them...If players wanted the challenge they only should have increased the difficulty on elite and leave advanced as old "elite" so new and f2p players can still get rewards and items that they need not this... And if somehow i do complete and advanced pug the rewards are just criminal. So is the fact that to upgrade t5 ships you need to spend 750 zen omg.., Imagine first buying the ship...then buying the fleet version and then spending 750 zen to get something near t6...just criminal. To say that this game is NOT going the way of too much money grabbing or galactic grinding is a lie.

They put STO in line with the rest of the PWE games, and made it pay to win.
    >:)ruff, meow, moo, whatever.... *shrug*
    [ Still Waiting for a Shiny New T6 Romulan Science Ship to Command ]
  • Options
    dou8padou8pa Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I am playing sto since a few years now but have never been as frustrated as now. I never had a problem doing the formerly "hard" stfs , and I understand those who wish to have more challenging stfs. But now I am not even able to finish one of the new delta stfs in advanced mode. Not that the enemies would easily finish my off,but now it takes a whole team to destroy a borg sphere in an appropriate amount of time.
    It is even more frustrating as I have upgraded most of my gear to Mk. XIV and overworked my skillpoint.
    With that there isn't even realy a reason for doing the new rep system as I will never get the ancient energy cells for the new rep-gear.
    Next point is that I have to give up my preferred ships for some dps-dealing hulk,hoping that I might have at least the slightes chance to finally succeed.
    Isn't there a chance to scale advanced down to make certain items easier available for the average player? There would still be elite for those who can do it?
  • Options
    captainforfuncaptainforfun Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have to agree wit jacen and douSpa. Instead of making it really a challenge they just added more hp so you need better gear to be able to do the andvanced stfs.

I mean i am fine if the new elite ones are really hard, but you can access the advanced ones at lvl 50. That means they should be doable at lvl 50 with a halfway decent random group and gear that anyone can obtain without doing stfs, since you need to do stfs to get certain gear.

Giving probes 200k+ hp (only the hull) is just frustrating. Such things make those missiosn harder, but hardly making them challenging. It makes it just more gear related.

Especially for someone like me who is nearly only flying sci ships, this dps race is just getting more and more anoying.

Sure the faceroll elite ones we had before were basically to easy, at least if you had halfway decnet ppl in the group who knew how to handle their ships. But now they are nearly undoable.

I tried a few times to do an advanced stf with a random group and was not able to finish it once.

So for the moment, without a premade group, the advanced stfs are not really worth the time. The problem is just that you need to do them to get the very rare crafting material which you need for your weapon upgrade if you want to spend to much dil on them...
    Reynolds / Thokal

U.S.S. Helios -Vesta Class / R.R.W. Dark Science - Dyson Surveillance Science Destroyer
    U.S.S. Donut - Fleet Advanced Research Vessel Retrofit
    TheWiseGuys
  • Options
    skylarcometskylarcomet Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I thought the original idea was current elite would become advanced, and the new elite woudl be harder. Obviously that is not what happened at all. I am unsure they fixed other STF's, I have quit doing fleet alerts, the enemies have so much HP it takes to long to kill them now. I had one group where we only killed the first 2 waves before time ran out. I run a sceince ship, designed around healing and crowd control. It's pretty much worthless in STF's now, the only thing I have doing any amount of damage is GW3.
    >:)ruff, meow, moo, whatever.... *shrug*
    [ Still Waiting for a Shiny New T6 Romulan Science Ship to Command ]