test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Delta Rising - Some Nice Olive Branches to the Republic

chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Romulan Discussion
So it seems a few of the concerns that had been voiced over the last while, about forcing Republic players to play as if they were from their allied faction, have been heard!

Some great things I'm noticing early on in Delta Rising are that several NPCs will comment that you're Romulan or from the Republic, and we have our own contact in Delta Command.

It's the little things like that, that are always nice to see :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ironmakoironmako Member Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, when I've been on the missions, I get called a Romulan, even though I'm Reman!!

I found that to be quite racist, just because we all bleed green.....
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ironmako wrote: »
    Well, when I've been on the missions, I get called a Romulan, even though I'm Reman!!

Could be far worse. Be a romulan in KDF honour guard uniform and have people call you Starfleet or human. . .

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My character is a KDF allied Reman so I don't appreciate being refered to as a Romulan, but I do agree that it is nice to see several NPCs take note of him being part of the Republic.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited October 2014
    davidwford wrote: »
    My character is a KDF allied Reman so I don't appreciate being refered to as a Romulan, but I do agree that it is nice to see several NPCs take note of him being part of the Republic.

Now you know how my Gorn feels when people call him a Klingon :P
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't really say it's a step forward, but at least it's not a step backward. It's quite incredible we are happy when we are called by our faction's name, and not another one.
    Now, I'm just waiting for the Romulan academy, and the security officer.
    Now you know how my Gorn feels when people call him a Klingon :P
    Or when your only available answer is Qa'pla !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    Or when your only available answer is Qa'pla !
    Can a Gorn even *say* Qa'pla? sssSSSSahhh'Passsssss ... o.O
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited October 2014

It could be worse...

They could say something like...

"Hey Neelix, how are you?"
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Romulans got all the best toys in the DR Ops pack, too.

The Reman Intel officer has both Superior Infiltrator and Superior Romulan Operative, he's my Rom's new best buddy.

The Romulan T6 Intel ship is also hands down the most gorgeous of the T6 ships.
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Romulans got all the best toys in the DR Ops pack, too.

I suppose with the good BOFF traits there could be a quality v. quantity argument, but I find it hard to see how the Republic would come out the 'winners' of the DR pack items.

Feds just got given the green light to more cloaks, have career-specific Intel ships (Republic has one-size-fits-all), and because the balance wasn't bad enough already... were given 2 standard T6 ships.

Then everything else in the pack isn't faction-unique.

That all said, I think the content in the DR pack is great - but the Republic certainly was not the winner in this case.
  • Options
    peregryperegry Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited October 2014

"Romulan" is also, arguably, the demonym for anyone from Romulan space, regardless of race.

It should also be noted that, as STO appears to use the Vulcan Heart/Soul series as inspiration, the Remans are another Vulcan offshoot race like Romulans are... so they ARE the same species...
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't think there's a direct reference to that, but... Remans are said to have copper based blood in STO.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I don't think there's a direct reference to that, but... Remans are said to have copper based blood in STO.

There's not any direct references to Remans being an offshot of the Vulcans like Romulans, no.

But there's dozens of references to the Vulcan's Heart/Vulcan's Soul and the Rihannsu series.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    chipg7 wrote: »
    I suppose with the good BOFF traits there could be a quality v. quantity argument, but I find it hard to see how the Republic would come out the 'winners' of the DR pack items.

Feds just got given the green light to more cloaks, have career-specific Intel ships (Republic has one-size-fits-all), and because the balance wasn't bad enough already... were given 2 standard T6 ships.

Then everything else in the pack isn't faction-unique.

That all said, I think the content in the DR pack is great - but the Republic certainly was not the winner in this case.

Since I only have two characters that I play (my Fed main and the Rom/Fed alt, both Engineers), it's very much a quality vs quantity issue.

The BOffs for the Fed are nothing special, just necessary to fly the Intel ships properly. The BOffs for the Rom are awesome.

As someone who hit 30k in a JHDC on an Engineer, only the Phantom and Eclipse look good to me. The Dauntless is meh to me, and apparently terrible to actual Science captains. The Scryer is currently universally derided. The Guardian looks nice, but the layout is very meh.

Once I unlock the Phantom and Eclipse masteries, I'll be going back to my JHDC with JHAS (or Scorp) hangers. I can't even make myself grind up the other ships for their masteries.

I don't like the Aelahl layout, but the Faeht is perfect to me. Stations, consoles, and aesthetics - it's currently my favorite ship in the game. The Intel BOff (which we have to use if we want to make use of the Intel part of the Intel ships) has SRO and SI! Awesomeness!

Speaking of Aesthetics - the Intel uniform! My Fed is properly wearing the official Starfleet uniform for 2410, so he has no use for it. But my Romulan? Man! Before this uniform, for some godforsaken reason she couldn't wear the Starfleet uniforms, and Starfleet BOffs couldn't wear the Romulan uniforms. My crew wore nonuniform uniforms! Now - now they're all in the Intel uniform using Romulan Republic colors.

My Fed is basically getting two ship masteries out of the DR Ops pack, my Rom is getting new (matching!) uniforms, a new ship, and new awesome crew members. Both are making use of the new DOffs. My Rom is lording it over my Fed right now. :D
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I just played the mission where you meet Neelix and yeah... it's very.. different as a RR player. It's really cool how he blabbers about all sorts of random stuff.

"OOhh is that a Romulan ship? I've never seen one before!"

hehee... mildly annoying but in an endearing way.

Granted I was playing as a purple alien, but.. enh. (yeah it's an old pic, I need to make a new one)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I just played the mission where you meet Neelix and yeah... it's very.. different as a RR player. It's really cool how he blabbers about all sorts of random stuff.

"OOhh is that a Romulan ship? I've never seen one before!"

hehee... mildly annoying but in an endearing way.

Annoying, yes. Indearing, certainly. I actually found myself laughing at his balthering. It was clear to me that he was trying to glad hand and pander to Republic characters, and if it wasn't for the Taxalian cultural proclivity for being abimcable, I would have slapped him. That most Talaxians would have tried the same tactic made it more tolerable and mildly amusing.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    the only thing wrong with that mission was the dialogue they had for your responses... ye gods those were horrid
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    the only thing wrong with that mission was the dialogue they had for your responses... ye gods those were horrid

If you imagine your Romulan speaking sarcastically to the Talaxians for most of them the responses make a lot more sense.
  • Options
    soundwisdomsoundwisdom Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    In their defense the game was coded around two variables $federation $klingon, but any new content should be fully converted. It would just be painstakingly annoying to go back into code and adjust every line of dialogue that adresses the characters race/faction. Although, I'll agree the fact that didn't just assign a global flag for it so if they added more it would easily work; is beyond me.
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I was even recognized as a Liberated Borg. I do hope they do more/better race/faction recognition going forward.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    peregry wrote: »
    If you imagine your Romulan speaking sarcastically to the Talaxians for most of them the responses make a lot more sense.

...ok, that is gold. Just awesome. :D
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    peregry wrote: »

Yeah I tried that... but it just didnt work for me... worked less for my Gorn... I wanted a 'Yes I love sea salt with my Talaxian haunch' line by that point tho...