test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Is Not Dying

rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
Many, many years ago, I created a thread called something like "Can we save this sinking ship?" I'm not sure I could even find it now. It was created when the forums were hosted on Cryptic's site. In that thread, there was a lot of substantive discussion on the subject. Ultimately, it meant very little.

I stopped playing the very day PWE came onto the scene. I went to play Eve. I still do. I didn't look back to STO at all for the next however many years have passed. I think I made the right decision. I was very unhappy with what STO was at the time and all the chaos created from the many management changes. Finally, a few weeks ago a friend convinced me to take a second look at it.

I have to admit the game has come such a long way since those humble beginnings. I hope that more previous players like myself rediscover this game, but we as people rarely give second chances to video games. I'll do my part to recommend it to others. I created a community for Eve that has expanded to other games and STO will become one of our main projects.

Anyway, I stopped by the forums to see if there was any information about the downtime. I found a lot of complaining and predictions the current expansion will be the demise of the game. Something tells me that happens with every expansion. I've also noted a serious disconnect between the players and its devs -- they don't appear to be present.

In the years I've played Eve, I've seen many "Eve is dying" threads. So many that it has become something of a meme in the community. I imagine the same can be said for STO. They both appear to be doing just fine so perhaps instead of making predictions about its future you just discuss the elements that you like and dislike in the present.

More importantly, just try to enjoy the game for what it is...or find something else that you'll like more. I don't say this with malice or irritation. I say it out of a desire to see you happy. There's little point playing a game you dislike and ranting about it to a company that has never shown a strong interest in community interaction.

In closing, I like this new expansion. How many did I miss, eight or nine? I'm glad they finally opened up the Delta Quadrant. It leaves room for numerous possibilities. I love the fleet system. We're about to have our first starbase when our current task completes and that should be fun to see. It's different than Eve, but that doesn't make it less interesting. One of the strengths of STO is ground and space in the same game, and really awesome worlds to explore and play in. Honestly, there's a lot about this game to love and if this expansion is what you can expect annually, I think they are heading in a good direction. Just my opinion.
Post edited by rswfiredotcom on

Comments

• Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No STO isnt going to die

But if things remain as they are the amount of players will decline sharply

as it stands DR is making this game terrible for the casual gamer which is a large portion of the player base.

what happens if the bulk of casual gamers over time quit due to the game not being fun and becoming an annoying overly hard grind fest that makes even leveling to hard to do without doing heavy grinding on sector patrols like tau dewa.

anyways even if the bulk of casual gamers quit STO the game wouldnt die but the amount of people in game to fill in those queues would drop sharply.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    No STO isnt going to die

as it stands DR is making this game terrible for the casual gamer which is a large portion of the player base.

what happens if the bulk of casual gamers over time quit due to the game not being fun and becoming an annoying overly hard grind fest that makes even leveling to hard to do without doing heavy grinding on sector patrols like tau dewa.

anyways even if the bulk of casual gamers quit STO the game wouldnt die but the amount of people in game to fill in those queues would drop sharply.

What has changed so dramatically for a casual gamer? I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer and I've had a lot of fun these past few weeks. I'm apparently not having the same experience as you...
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No STO isnt going to die

basically making queue waits and times practically as horrendous as the mess we have now.

but yeah I generally agree that it wont die, just needs some nerfs buffs and glitch/bug fixes and everyone will be happy at least for a while and even then it'll probably be a temporary fix.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Players don't come much more casual than me. And I'm loving this expansion so far!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What has changed so dramatically for a casual gamer? I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer and I've had a lot of fun these past few weeks. I'm apparently not having the same experience as you...

in short.

the dramatic increase in stupidity in PvE HP and shields has essentially taken all the fun out of everything on top of the fact that the rewards are awful.

Most of us just want to have fun not slog it out for 30-40 minutes in just one queue with Borg spheres that have hundreds of thousands of HP and get barely anything for it.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    But someone on the forums said it was, Now you're saying it's not??? I don't know what to believe anymore :confused:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    in short.

the dramatic increase in stupidity in PvE HP and shields has essentially taken all the fun out of everything on top of the fact that the rewards are awful.

Most of us just want to have fun not slog it out for 30-40 minutes in just one queue with Borg spheres that have hundreds of thousands of HP and get barely anything for it.

This is a problem in many games now. The trolls and griefers. I hadn't played any of the queued content until today and I had one bad experience out of about six -- these were on normal. Can these be played with pre-made teams, like joining one with members from your fleet? That would eliminate that problem for the people who find a good, casual-focused fleet.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    But someone on the forums said it was, Now you're saying it's not??? I don't know what to believe anymore :confused:

A game wont die unless it stops making money go take a look at BSGO its for all intent an purpose dead however it continues on because the few hardcore fools still left infuse insane amount of cash into the game.

This could happen here aswell a mass amount of players leave but the game continues on because the few who remain buy mass amounts of whatever they can buy which means revenue which means game soldiers on.

so no the game wont die so long as even a few people buy and spend insane amounts of cash on the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What has changed so dramatically for a casual gamer?
    Many casual gamers can no longer successfully complete the common missions, and if they happen to get into a group that can carry them through, the reward drop is half of what it was. Basically the rewards-per-hour was cut to 1/4 if you can complete, and nothing if you cant. And everything is behind a grind wall, so you make no progress on anything.

Cryptic even removed the ship components that drop as loot. So a casual player cant even build a rudimentary ship even without the main rewards.

Should answer your question
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited October 2014

^^^
    This claim is made EVERYTIME they do a major Season/Expansion content update. Hasn't seemed to hold true as were that the case; I doubt PWE would give Cryptic the money to do two Expansions (LOR and DR) and also continue to shell out for the hiring of actual Star Trek series cast members to do voice over.

And if you want proof that PWE doesn't just blindly give money for continued development of an MMO, regardless of player level/cashflow; go take a look at the rate of actual content updates for Champions Online.

Past 'complaints' of things that will 'kill STO':

Season 5 - "F2P will kill STO - they've turned it into an Asian 'grind' MMO and players will leave..."

Season 6 - "The Starbase Tier grind is insane. Fleets will die and players will leave..."

Season 7 (Post Dilithium reward reduction issue rollback which was a true issue that WAS universally hailed - even by the STO Dev Team as a bad decision) - "New Romulus/New Fleet Holding is a boring grind...players will leave."

LOR - "The Romulan half-faction is poorly thought and no one will play it. The new Romulan ships Suck/are OP with their new powers. There's nothing really new for existing Fed or KDF characters...players will leave..."

Season 8 - "The Dyson Sphere sucks and is too much of a grind. The new Dyson PVE queue content isn't worth that hassle..."

Season 9 - "This is just a rehash of Season 8 with another Fleet holding and more Grind...players will leave..."

Need I go on? This pattern is generally true of every MMO when a new Expansion releases. I've yet to really see an expansion that 'killed an MMO'.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Season 7 (Post Dilithium reward issue rollback which was a true issue that WAS universally hailed - even by the STO Dev Team as a bad decision) - New Romulus/New Fleet Holding is a boring grind...players will leave.

The reason we say "this will kill STO" is to get results like this.

So, even if we're wrong, we might be the ones saving the game in the process.
  • Options
    varthelmvarthelm Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    azniadeet wrote: »

Spot on. If we didnt care about the game, we would not be here expressing frustration.

Proof will be what the future holds, not what happened in the past.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No, of course not. But it's going to be a rough couple of weeks for most players, until their user metrics force them to make changes. For the players who stick around that long, anyway.
  • Options
    thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It isn't just STO that died, we're all dead but we just don't realize it yet. Go to the light my friends....
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lol... You did! You're a forum pro. :)

I wish I could take that title, I was just happy to help!

I am more of a Pro-Cryptic, in game whale, forum troll.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    azniadeet wrote: »

I was one of the ones also stating (along with virtually everyone else on the Forums and in game) about the Season 7 Dilithium reward reduction; and lets be 100% honest here in that the level of DR complaints/predictions on the Forums, in game, etc. are NOWHERE NEAR the level of outrage that the Season 7 across the board Dilithium reward reduction generated (and why it was reversed); but my point still stands that in general after the initial release of every major content update; a vocal group arises that claims "STO will loose players and die..."; but that hasn't happened yet. I think constructive feedback (both positive and negative) is a good thing, and I'm sure they'll listen to some of it and tweak some things in DR but nothing they've done in DR will cause them to loose the majority of the playerbase.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    darkdog13darkdog13 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It won't kill the game there are enough hardcore players willing to put buckets of money into this game.
  • Options
    varthelmvarthelm Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ^^^
    This pattern is generally true of every MMO when a new Expansion releases.

You're right...most are fatally flawed right out of the box.

Just one comment about some posts I've seen in answer to player frustration over DR stuff....

It's a tired old arguement the "All MMO's do (insert annoying player rage policy here)". Stuff like this is why I don't play those games and why I may not stick with this one. Games are supposed to be fun. When useless busy work outweighs the fun, it doesn't matter what type of game it is...it's time to move on. Blind acceptance of any industry standard is just silly.

As stated before however, if I were ready to move on right now...I'd not bother with all this posting. Not yet anyway.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You want to build a "rudimentary" ship? I can't verify whether equipment drops exist in the Delta Quadrant - I've only gotten around to "Mindscape" and "Reunion" so far (I told you I was a casual player!) - but they certainly do drop from the missions in the Alpha Quadrant. I'm leveling yet another alt, and just finished "Spin the Wheel"; one of the reasons I was pleased about going to Drozana was so I could sell off all the ship drops I'd gotten that I didn't want (I had already crafted myself a Dual Heavy Phaser Cannon with a number of bonuses, so the Dual Heavy Tetryon Cannon wasn't an upgrade).

So, go back to Alpha, rerun some of the missions there, get the drops, and voila, a "rudimentary" ship.

By the way, I ran those in a Risian Luxury Cruiser before I discovered I could upgrade it to T5U for free. I don't anticipate any problems doing it in a T5 prototype Odyssey, either.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The context was STFs, which no longer drop loot rewards even on success.
  • Options
    crappynamerulescrappynamerules Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    While I am one of the people who are particularly frustrated with the way the queue difficulties have been changed and the way the 50+ HP scales out of control (which may in fact be the same problem, honestly), I do not think the game is doomed because of it. Eventually they will fix it, sooner or later. It was a screwup, but screwups happen. Worse ones, mind you, than these. I feel most people who are screaming the game is over due to these mistakes are just trying to call as much attention to them as possible and (transparently) manipulate devs to make a priority out of them.
  • Options
    cbiz1983cbiz1983 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I most definitely have gotten ship component drops in the DQ. the PVE stuff is frustrating insofar as STFs go. the mission content is not. does it have bugs? sure. am I confident they'll address them in some prioritized order? Yes. What I do find strange is the amount of entitled griping about F2P content. No one is entitled to entertainment. Yes there are some valid points people have made but so many of us need to make them in a better way. Let's say thank you for F2P content first (especially players who have never supported the development of the game financially) and then provide constructive criticism. No h8.
    45bEibx.jpg
  • Options
    jkersjkers Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sto will be here for awhile..the new expansion took alot of people by surprise, and the shake up of the pve's,which I will agree are a little much...but doable and the devs will adjust a little bit, I hope..but if not I look at it this way..at 50 we were the senior class...the varsity...now we are all just freashmen again.. the jv squad.. we will be back at the top again and the usual suspects will be complaining all over again!! Its still a fun game..One can do what they want in this game, if you want to pvp..great..if you like to explore...super. this game still gives you what you want to do and at your pace. I'll be here for awhile..thats why I got a LS and put money in this game!
  • Options
    stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Will STO die someday? Of course. Will it die very soon? Of course not.
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.