test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STF's cryptic we want you to fail advanced

sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
that means they want to block us on rep gear so we can beat it.
last i checked the only way to get power cells is advanced oh just rembered can't get past first wave of borg disconected
solution to problem remove the fail part or add cells to normal :mad:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tyrannyfighter22tyrannyfighter22 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sean2448 wrote: »
    that means they want to block us on rep gear so we can beat it.
    last i checked the only way to get power cells is advanced oh just rembered can't get past first wave of borg disconected
    solution to problem remove the fail part or add cells to normal :mad:

Yeah im not really sure how most people will have ANY chance of getting their delta rep gear? Its really strange that a rep tier would be beat that most wont even be able to use
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There are other means by which to gear up and, you really won't believe this, but it will actually get you the gear you need for Advanced modes...

Also, once players stp trying to zerg or kirk their way through, you'll start to see more successful pugging...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I can't understand the logic behind the way advanced is set up.

I did the Crystalline Entity advanced today. I thought that advanced was supposed to be the old elite. That was not the old elite. The Crystallline Entity had 21 million HP, Tholian Orb Weavers cruising around with 300,000 hp and shields to match. If you're not supposed to be able to deal with that at 50 or 51 that's fine, but they should like block them. That was positively a drag. Is that WAI?
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    ednarulesednarules Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'd like to see a video recording of the devs doing advanced and elite the way Captain Smirk keeps outfitting his ships..

It would be a great laugh.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ednarules wrote: »
    I'd like to see a video recording of the devs doing advanced and elite the way Captain Smirk keeps outfitting his ships..

It would be a great laugh.
    That would sure be funny, but the devs are not trying to make stuff they find hard or impossible to beat, they are trying to make stuff that the advanced and elite players in STO find hard to beat.

I don't think they really have gotten the formula right, but if a lot less can do Advanced or Elite queues than they could do the Elite queues before, that is not that bad. At least for those that want that type of challenge. I think I've gotten very lazy and don't really care to work that hard anymore.

The availability of the special Reputation Project Items may be a remaining issue, however.

Whatever. There will be more changes and tweaks eventually. Remember - there isn't a way to get the reputation project items with DIlithium or Zen - so Cryptic has not actually a financial incentive to make this too hard to get. The only objective is to make it long enough to occupy people with it, without making it so long that people just give up and stop playing. Finding the equilibrium will be Cryptic's job.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    ednarulesednarules Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    That would sure be funny, but the devs are not trying to make stuff they find hard or impossible to beat, they are trying to make stuff that the advanced and elite players in STO find hard to beat.

I don't think they really have gotten the formula right, but if a lot less can do Advanced or Elite queues than they could do the Elite queues before, that is not that bad. At least for those that want that type of challenge. I think I've gotten very lazy and don't really care to work that hard anymore.

The availability of the special Reputation Project Items may be a remaining issue, however.

Heh, if they don't play the content they create with an average STO players ship/gear, any changes they make is guesswork, and so far poor guesswork.

It's been reiterated numerous times before, on tribble people posted legit problems with what they are doing and ideas to address it. As always, they ignore the people testing the new stuff, and release it anyways, and when it creates problems on holodeck, they scramble trying to fix it, and ofcourse break new things as they fix.
  • Options
    sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ednarules wrote: »
    Heh, if they don't play the content they create with an average STO players ship/gear, any changes they make is guesswork, and so far poor guesswork.

It's been reiterated numerous times before, on tribble people posted legit problems with what they are doing and ideas to address it. As always, they ignore the people testing the new stuff, and release it anyways, and when it creates problems on holodeck, they scramble trying to fix it, and ofcourse break new things as they fix.

i have all my reps done on 11 toons tier 6 ships 14 weapons i epic weapon my point is regaurding the new rep i would have the gel pack but one thing can't get the power cells to complete it
    you only get those in advance which we can't complete

p.s. i was in the live stream when smirk said you need 14
  • Options
    kerriknightkerriknight Member Posts: 274
    edited October 2014
    The problem is that a couple of Mk levels, a handful of passives, and +1 console doesn't take a formerly capable 7-8k build to the now ~15k requirement for Advanced.

Regardless of any finger-wagging over how people shouldn't have been capable of beating it before, that's what the new elite is there to address. The players who wanted a place for high-end builds and flawless performance to be just barely enough now have that. That kinda removes any reason for taking away what everyone else had just a few days ago.

Scale it up for some power creep, sure, but don't make everyone in the game play the DPS race. You should know how to build a ship, but not reduce everyone to a handful of templates and copy-paste builds just for Advanced.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Whatever. There will be more changes and tweaks eventually. Remember - there isn't a way to get the reputation project items with DIlithium or Zen - so Cryptic has not actually a financial incentive to make this too hard to get. The only objective is to make it long enough to occupy people with it, without making it so long that people just give up and stop playing. Finding the equilibrium will be Cryptic's job.

If they put the rep cogs and gears for rep gear in normal STFs across the board, casuals wwouldn't care what was done with advanced and elite difficulties. The real issue boils down to being able to turn in those parts for dil, and even making them available in advanced or elite.

If they were moved to normal, removed from advanced and elite (with dil reward increase in place of them) many complaints would be resolved
  • Options
    tyrannyfighter22tyrannyfighter22 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If they put the rep cogs and gears for rep gear in normal STFs across the board, casuals wwouldn't care what was done with advanced and elite difficulties. The real issue boils down to being able to turn in those parts for dil, and even making them available in advanced or elite.

If they were moved to normal, removed from advanced and elite (with dil reward increase in place of them) many complaints would be resolved

Well the other major major problem is that to get the advanced R&D packs you have to do advanced or elite. So basically if they keep as is only a small minority of players will ever get those packs (and those that pay for them) thus HEAVILY inscreasing R&D mat costs when players need them more than ever for upgrades etc.
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So far I have run:
    FFA: failed four times, succeeded once
    CI: played twice succeeded twice, optionals failed once
    ISA: played five times, succeeded once (with three other fleetmates hitting AS HARD as we could).
    It is very much harder and I am having to try and motivate the troops so to speak in fleet as many are very demoralised.
    My advice thus far has been to stick to the story and level up some and stick with your best ship to gain mastery levels with it before heading into PVE.
    We are mostly running fleet only for PVE in the hopes that will help things, but lower level players are really struggling with any kind of even basic PVE which is problematic.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    another problem which isn't addressed here is, that the average player actually really really sucked at STO and had a more then less adequate ship to do the PUGs with. A combination that would mean failure in any other MMO, but up to now it didn't matter in most PUGs.

Now it does...cryptic will eventually make stuff easier, but before that happens, people will actually LEARN how to fly their ships successfully. People that do not achieve this level for whatever reason will either quit the game, or improve. Gear is secondary, knowing how to handle your ship and your abilities is now mandatory, not just optional.

and yeah, don't PUG hard content...and if your mates and you can't pull it off either, start practicing, rethink your tactics, your builds...they don't clear no WOW raid after 4 days, this is pretty much the same.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Of course they want you to fail Advanced and Elite. This is working as intended, from Cryptic's point of view.

They want you to get as little dil as possible, as slowly as possible.

They want you to buy C-Store R&D packs rather than get Adv. R&D packs.

They want reputation set gear to be unobtainable to most players.

They want most players to just play Normal and be happy about it.
  • Options
    cruzistcruzist Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    In case you missed it:

"A fix for current PvE issues is coming coon! RT @CrypticEQAH: @STOReddit @PWECaptainSmirk Fix is incoming ASAP"

https://twitter.com/PWECaptainSmirk/status/522829510954070016

(A forum post would have been nice.)
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I was pleasantly surprised by the changes to advanced rep PvEs. It's a good challenge, where some of the game's better players haven't been given a real challenge in quite some time :D

I am finding the PvEs easier as I level up, get / upgrade some of the better gear, and readjust some of my tactics, though. But it's nice that not every run is an instant-success anymore. There needs to be some difficulty to the game, and I think Cryptic did a good job.
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Of course they want you to fail Advanced and Elite. This is working as intended, from Cryptic's point of view.

They want you to get as little dil as possible, as slowly as possible.

They want you to buy C-Store R&D packs rather than get Adv. R&D packs.

They want reputation set gear to be unobtainable to most players.

They want most players to just play Normal and be happy about it.

Unsubstantiated hyperbole... The R&D packs possibly make sense, but the rest is just nonsense...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg