test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The new tier bonuses are not very, well intelligent

vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
Flanking damage? Bonus to stealth? Lots of points into ground?

Here is my favorite, 5% reduction in captain abilities for 15 levels worth of grinding at half a million skillpoints.

Being in a federation carrier that doesn't cloak, attack from the rear or play on the ground I can honestly say I am ready for the next specialization tree added to the game, because just like queue maps and story maps and other items, it's the same tendency all over again.

It's a mountain of work for litterly nothing and in my specific case completely useless.

What's the chance I am going to grind an additional 30 levels after 60 for 5% flanking damage?

It's zero.

So the - intelligent - way to go about it, now that it's obviously too late for this time around, is to add trees with actual different paths, and not just like now with pointless mandatory ones that makes zero difference since you have to get all of them, in order to gain optimal waste of time.

As is there is no design, no gameplay, no choice and no intelligence behind it - at all.

It's just fill this glass up with 40 levels so we can stall the game
Post edited by vestereng on

Comments

• ednarulesednarules Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Since when does anything cryptic does make sense or is intelligent?
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They're meant to be 'little extras' not huge changes, not even up to the level of full Traits. After all, we can keep earning more of these things whenever Cryptic decides to add new ones (I imagine a new batch every season). They have to keep them small, just a little bit of extra flavor, or else we end up in endless power creep and later-starting players NEVER able to catch up. Honestly this is one of the few things I actually like about DR.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They're meant to be 'little extras' not huge changes, not even up to the level of full Traits. After all, we can keep earning more of these things whenever Cryptic decides to add new ones (I imagine a new batch every season). They have to keep them small, just a little bit of extra flavor, or else we end up in endless power creep and later-starting players NEVER able to catch up. Honestly this is one of the few things I actually like about DR.

Agreed. My main has 4.9 million stockpiled exp. I didn't grind that, it just accumulated over time post max level. Now I'll get something while this same thing happens.

Also, check the top unlock for intelligence primary. It gives a -res bonus to your team power (sci/end/TAC team). That will buff your fighters. Or you can do what a couple people I know are doing and just save the points. You'll still start earning bonus dil at the same time as someone who spends their points, only difference is if you like the next one they pit put you can max it immediately.
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    These are just the launch specializations; there will be others, as have been stated multiple times

Besides, like stated, they're little extras, and not meant to be game-changing in the first place. Plus, if you get them all, any extra levels you get turns to Dil Ore - either an ability or Dil Ore is better than just extra XP for nothing
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I think you are making that stuff up while typing.

Your masters openly said everything was done to give you a reason to get the items.
    Ships, levels, upgrading, crafting all that.

You are of course welcome to go look for a quote when they come out and say "oh we fully expect people to grind 30 levels x 55,000 exp... for absolutely nothing".

But ignoring how presumptuous it is on your part, in and of itself the intent of it, doesn't change what it is and lastly I dont think you replying to what I said or maybe don't understand it;

And what it is, is un-intelligent - especially in terms of different roles, careers, ships with specific bonuses that are totally useless but also in terms of "gameplay", planning your build out and having fun playing a game there is no effort involved because everything is mandatory time wasting.

This isn't about whether 2% should be replaced with 5%, I think you were in too much in a developer apologist hurry to read my post?

There is no point to setting up trees like you have a choice in the matter, so I say okay lets call this one a failed test flight and then do better on the next one.

What I am telling you is, all those 30 intended levels have a 100% chance to be 100% irrelevant to me in 100% cases.

Worse, they actually just waste time and make you hate it for no real reason, exactly like queues and story now do.

So, back to the drawing board
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    vestereng wrote: »

Your masters openly said everything was done to give you a reason to get the items.

You are of course welcome to go look for a quote when they come out and say "oh we fully expect people to grind 30 levels x 55,000 exp... for absolutely nothing".

But ignoring how presumptuous it is on your part, in and of itself the intent of it, doesn't change what it is and lastly I dont think you replying to what I said or maybe don't understand it;

And what it is, is un-intelligent - especially in terms of different roles, careers, ships with specific bonuses that are totally useless but also in terms of "gameplay", planning your build out and having fun playing a game there is no effort involved because everything is mandatory time wasting.

This isn't about whether 2% should be replaced with 5%, I think you were in too much in a developer apologist hurry to read my post?

There is no point to setting up trees like you have a choice in the matter, so I say okay lets call this one a failed test flight and then do better on the next one.

What I am telling you is, all those 30 intended levels have a 100% chance to be 100% irrelevant to me in 100% cases.

Worse, they actually just waste time and make you hate it for no real reason, exactly like queues and story now do.

We never replied with the intention of defending them, and I'm certainly not doing that now... just replying to your post.

You think they're worth nothing, some of us think otherwise; that's normal. But that's no reason to blame them for being useless to you, especially with other trees coming later
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You attain the levels from playing content. I fail to see how it's a "Grind" for something other than someone desperately accumulated it as quick as they can. Nice little bonuses, slot another one when my bar is full. That's it.
  • jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    vestereng wrote: »

minority, wrong and defensive

good setting for a productive conversation

background: i am by no means an apologist, i just do my complaining in game, and stay constructive and positive here.

now lets make sure all the information is there:

are you aware that skillpoints are part of queue rewards?
    are you aware that borg disconnected normal can get you almost half a level?

now here is my solution for you, dont spec into the specializations if you dont want them, wait for more to come out, and find one that suits you as a player
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Threads with abusive titles containing posts with abusive language are not going to work out well for you.

Try leaving your feedback without the insults and scorn next time.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
This discussion has been closed.