What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I can't stand the word "toon"

Comments

• Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    some of you get hung up on trivial TRIBBLE.........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    thethellisthethellis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Toon is a term popularized by the 1988 film Who Framed Roger Rabbit; it commonly refers to distinguish characters appearing in cartoons from regular humans. Related to this usage are:

Toon (role-playing game), a role-playing game published by Steve Jackson Games in which the players take the parts of cartoon characters
    Toontown Online, a 2003 online computer role-playing game.

It wasn't until after toontown online came out that I started seeing people use the term "toon"
    And while STO is not super realistic in it's graphics it is also NOT cartoony in it's graphics either.

So the use of toon is really quite inaccurate and at the same instance accurate because of the above statement "it commonly refers to distinguish characters appearing in cartoons from regular humans" but only if you ignore the CARTOON part of it.

I hate the use of this fad term but I'm also not going to tell people to not use it. Because doing that is useless since society in general is driven by fads and whats "hip".

Life is what you make of it, have fun and live smart or die and blame everyone else, it's your choice but my right to hate your choice, so lets agree to disagree and live our lives separately for the betterment of humanity.
  • Options
    pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ITT: Haters gotta hate
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Or it could just be short for Platoon and be referring to all of your characters.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jslyn wrote: »
    Or it could just be short for Platoon and be referring to all of your characters.

The usage does not support this hypothesis.
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    anvils are not falling from the sky
    Hello, have you seen some of our ships?
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    curmecurme Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I agree, these aren't cartoons. We aren't running around as Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The usage does not support this hypothesis.

Yeah well, linguistics is an evolving science.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Hello, have you seen some of our ships?

Yes, and last I checked, none of them are falling from the sky.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    but yet you can get them in a box smaller than your toon :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    There's already a thread for this. :D

Stop teaching new players about necromancy before the Kobali even show up! :mad::D:P
    Agreed. I have characters except when I'm really into it.

"Toon" has characters, too. Four of them. Kind of like Picard and his lights.
    curme wrote: »
    I agree, these aren't cartoons. We aren't running around as Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse.

Some of them are. I've seen a really good Homer Simpson... and I'm kind of tempted to make a Ferasan named Sylvester. Ooooh, or buy the Formal Wear and try for a Top Cat. Not sure how to make a character without pants, though... most toons prefer going really commando. I suppose the Specialization will have to do.

Okay, serious answer: Personally, I refer to my characters as characters, but I won't begrudge others the use of different terminology. For practical purposes, STO isn't realistic enough to warrant worrying about it. A 3' tall Alien-gen can still trigger a Knockdown on a 9' tall Gorn in hand-to-hand combat, for example; give me a game where that Gorn simply picks up said Alien-gen and whips its head into a nearby surface and I'll accept that the term "toon" no longer applies.

STO is still plenty cartoony enough to warrant the use of "toon" for your characters, if you so choose. It's just not how I refer to my characters.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Wow, really things online/on forums/in chat get called a short-hand name for convenience? Shocking. Next you'll say people use 'ur', 4 and 8 too to save finger movements! And don't get me started on your/you're.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Wow, really things online/on forums/in chat get called a short-hand name for convenience? Shocking. Next you'll say people use 'ur', 4 and 8 too to save finger movements! And don't get me started on your/you're.

Yeah, I generally frown upon such devolution of the language. Seriously, if you can't be bothered to type out the whole word, we have no reason to be communicating with each other.
  • Options
    admiralkirkadmiralkirk Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They are called SLAVES.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    but yet you can get them in a box smaller than your toon :)

WinZIP received a few improvements over the years.
  • Options
    kenthendkenthend Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Toon is just easier to say because no matter what game you play you have Toons in all of them. So let your toons rejoice1
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    WinZIP received a few improvements over the years.

winzip is a program for the real world and is not in sto world nice try again hung up over trivial TRIBBLE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    "Toon" has characters, too.
    I've made quite a few characters in Toon. My personal favorite was one with a Smarts score so low, he once walked off a cliff and survived, because he was too stupid to realize he was supposed to fall...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Meh. "Toon" is a piece of MMO jargon that long ago left behind any connection to "cartoon" or implying that something is "cartoony". Whatever.

Meanwhile, all my alts will just keep doing their thing..... /shrug

(this reminds me of the arguments in WoW, between old-school Everquest players and other people about the proper meaning of "PST" and how dare people not use it the same way! /getoffmylawn :rolleyes:)
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Toon be or not toon be
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    winzip is a program for the real world and is not in sto world nice try again hung up over trivial TRIBBLE

The Ferengi got WinZIP from the Tholians who got it from the real world. Duh.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    if i were to create a new "toon" i would call it "cake" and the ship name i would call it "the cookie crumbles" :D.

understanding the point yet? :P
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The Ferengi got WinZIP from the Tholians who got it from the real world. Duh.

ya sure they did............... btw going to play my toon in sto with my toon ship :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    ya sure they did............... btw going to play my toon in sto with my toon ship :)

If your toon ship is like my toon ship, then it blows up as much as Daffy Duck's face.

Toon be continued............* dramatic music *

dun dun duuUUUUUH!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    If your toon ship is like my toon ship, then it blows up as much as Daffy Duck's face.

would it not be more Elmer Fudd and Wile E Coyote :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Wonderful first post OP. I look forward to more of your wisdom in the future...

literary gold lol, can't wait to pop lvl60 on my main AND my Alt toons, let's hope DR is not the new LoR :D
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    betayuya wrote: »
    literary gold lol, can't wait to pop lvl60 on my main AND my Alt toons, let's hope DR is not the new LoR :D

wait i thought we were calling them Avas now? like avatars? how about character? or char?

I'm gonna go char broil me a steak then i'm gonna eat it while i play my char on guild wars 2 who is a charr while at the same time i watch charro on tv.