test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please (PLEASE!) spread event characters to other/all social zones

angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
Seriously. When there is a limited time event (usually a week or weekend) like the current R&D "giveaway", each faction gets one (!) location to use, usually a vendor somewhere in the main social zone of that faction. The result is, of course, that this one vendor/zone gets crowded beyond good and evil. That leads to some players (like myself) being unable to enter those zones at all due to system specs being unable to handle the additional load (when the rest of the game runs fine). This is especially uncomfortable when the main social zone like ESD and First City are affected because those are still the only places in the game where you can find a BOFF skill trainer (why exactly this is the case I don't know and nobody was able to explain that to the present day).

There are a dozen social maps in the game and most of them are severly underpopulated and some of them even don't serve any purpose at all. They lack in key functions or got removed entirely. I plea for you, Cryptic, to add limited event contacts to each social zone in the game so you can get your R&D stuff, tribble or whatever it is in different places to avoid crowding of a single space. And please, don't try to argue with some form of "lore logic" here that R&D modules must be given out at ESD for example when you removed a whole social zone dediated to R&D from the game in the first place and don't give a single thought about lore, rhyme or reason on any other part of the game.

I think this would help reducing stress and loading times for some of the playerbase :)

EDIT: Great, typo in the thread title :(
lFC4bt2.gif
^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
"A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
"That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'd like to "push" this request as I just had to alt+tab out of the game and terminate it attempting to enter Sol system space.

It gets too crowded. Either space out spawn points or provide those events on all social hubs across the game, please.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So easy to solve as you could get the rewards directly from the mission prompt as so many other rewards. Meaning you can get them anywhere you are.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Probably wouldn;t have hurt to have had a contact in at least a couple of places... The Federation having contacts at ESD and the Academy, maybe even K-7; Romulans at the command center and the flotilla.
    Not sure where all the Klingon social areas are, as I just got out of the tutorial and pretty much stopped playing that toon.

That being said, it's not like ESD isn't usually buzzing, anyway. I didn't notice any real increase in people when I went to claim my freebies (and the Romulan area was certainly less busy than ESD on a normal day). If there is some sort of rush, though, then why be in a hurry to join it? Wait until day 2 or 3. They'll still be there, and if there is some extra load created here, most of that will have passed.

In a related note, though, I was wondering if there was some sort of stealth level requirement to get these items.
    I had only gotten them on my Fed character, but when I decided to go ahead and grab this last set with my other toons, my level 6 Klingon completed the mission but got no reward items.
    edited October 2014
    Probably wouldn;t have hurt to have had a contact in at least a couple of places... The Federation having contacts at ESD and the Academy, maybe even K-7; Romulans at the command center and the flotilla.
    Not sure where all the Klingon social areas are, as I just got out of the tutorial and pretty much stopped playing that toon.

That being said, it's not like ESD isn't usually buzzing, anyway. I didn't notice any real increase in people when I went to claim my freebies (and the Romulan area was certainly less busy than ESD on a normal day). If there is some sort of rush, though, then why be in a hurry to join it? Wait until day 2 or 3. They'll still be there, and if there is some extra load created here, most of that will have passed.

In a related note, though, I was wondering if there was some sort of stealth level requirement to get these items.
    I had only gotten them on my Fed character, but when I decided to go ahead and grab this last set with my other toons, my level 6 Klingon completed the mission but got no reward items.

My problem isn't that I want to join the rush on the event but that I have to visit ESD for basic services like BOFF training. I would alos settle for adding BOFF trainers and all other services to the social zones (BOFF training is only available at ESD and the fleet starbase where it's a oretty expensive and late upgrade). Klingon social zones would include DS9, dyson, new romulus, qonos, academy, drozana and ganalda.

I don't know about a level requirement, though. All my 4 chars are max level.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So easy to solve as you could get the rewards directly from the mission prompt as so many other rewards. Meaning you can get them anywhere you are.

The NPC is also a source of info about the R&D system. Making ppl go there might be helpful in case they don't read patch notes or forums.
  • cassamirothcassamiroth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, if you've got a high enough fleet with it unlocked you can just go to your Fleet Starbase for boff training. That said, for those not so fortunate, it is kind of inconvenient.
    I can understand why they wouldn't put the trainers in mixed social zones... sort of, but I'd kind of liked to have seen both the R&D guy and the boff trainers at Dyson Command for this among other reasons, at the very least.
  • admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Why did you put quotation marks around the word giveaway?
  • vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm wondering why only the Romulans have a mission/level requirement to claim the R&D freebies being given away during this event.

I've claimed the freebies on level 3 & 4 Fed/KDF characters but the Roms can't claim them until they level up and complete the mission that unlocks New Romulus.

Seems to me that the Rom NPC should have been on the Rom Fleet.

It's supposed to be that you need level 10 across the board, regardless of faction, to claim the upgrade freebees. Doesn't surprise me that the implementation isn't up to snuff.
  • strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, for what it's worth; congestion hasn't been much of an issue. That I've seen.

Though, my new KDF got the mission for the freebie upgrade stuff, today, and got nothing. <<shrugs>>
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Klingon social zones would include DS9, dyson, new romulus, qonos, academy, drozana and ganalda.

I don't consider DS9 and New Romulus to be "Klingon" social zones. They are open to everyone.

I meatn specifically Klingon areas that may have made sense for a Klingon training officer/contact to have been located there.

If I had thought that DS9 mattered then I would have included it in my mention of Romulan or Federation locations.
    edited October 2014
    I don't consider DS9 and New Romulus to be "Klingon" social zones. They are open to everyone.

I meatn specifically Klingon areas that may have made sense for a Klingon training officer/contact to have been located there.

If I had thought that DS9 mattered then I would have included it in my mention of Romulan or Federation locations.

Well, they are major hubs for joined operation fleets, so it would make sense.

But exclusively Klingon would be First City, Academy and Ganalda (In Eta Eridiani) I think.
    lFC4bt2.gif