Install Arc
Options

Many female character improvements coming soon

Comments

• Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    Any chance we could get an undershirt OPTION for the female Sierra, Antares, and Dyson uniforms?
    That would be great, yeah, support, support, support.

We really need to move away from trend, when there's an open uniform available, females automatically reveal clevage/skin, whereas males get the undershirt. Either give us choice of having the undershirt, like males, to go along with the skin option, or simply stick to the rule of thumb, and keep it uniform, to stick with the male version & make comparable version of it for females... really. <.<
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    Any chance we could get an undershirt OPTION for the female Sierra, Antares, and Dyson uniforms?
    Options rule, +1 this.
  • Options
    pashganpashgan Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    As someone have already mentioned - could be nice to have run style separated from stance. Male running animation for female toons with "relaxed" stance looks strange (to put it mildly).
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    pashgan wrote: »
    As someone have already mentioned - could be nice to have run style separated from stance. Male running animation for female toons with "relaxed" stance looks strange (to put it mildly).
    Fine for me - as technically, there's no such thing as 'male' or 'female' way of running... ugh ugh ugh. I hope we won't get the horrible 'feminine' animation run on any other stance than those they are on... which I'd not use even if they paid me for it.

But if they separated the run animation, so people put it where they want it.. that'd be good for all sides...

"Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 

• Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    pashgan wrote: »
    I support the idea, but I'd personally use the masculine running animation with the seductive stance.
    Fine for me - as technically, there's no such thing as 'male' or 'female' way of running... ugh ugh ugh.
    This.
  • Options
    drmoxdrmox Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    With the trouble with the models initially being an issue does this explain why there is a tear still in the shoulder blade of the right shoulder rank strap on the Wrath of Khan Star Fleet Uniforms?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Also, a suggestion to make, for smoother bug smashing with models and costumes in general. To be able to catch most bugs, glitches and clipping, it would be good if we at least had access to our own costume collection, which we have purchased from the C-store on the Holodeck, ie when we copy our character on Tribble, it'd be accessible over there too. That way, with the collective help from people, most of the bugs and glitches could be documented easier, due to wide variety of costumes, before the release and not after it hits the live server.

• Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I think it would be better if they could separate Jackets and Undershirts entirely, and allow mixing and matching of different undershirts with different jackets. For both male and females. That way, some can have a full unzipped jacket with an undershirt (or for those preferring a bolder look; bare chested male torso under the jacket and Terran-style sports bra shirt or swimsuit under a jacket for women), the open top jackets with or without shirts for both men and women, and the standard closed jacket with undershirt ever so slightly peeking out (or not, if someone just wants the jacket but a bit more neck).

And if there was an option to go further, allow for things such as Vests and thicker Jackets (such as Winter Jackets; which should also have a Closed/Open Top/Unzipped/Unbuttoned option) to serve as an optional extra layer, in which it could be expanded upon with the inclusion of items such as Lab Coats (open and closed) or Aprons (I know some people RP even cooking, but I would assume more as a gag-wear for a specific event, such as maybe a random V-Day baking miniquest). For example, those who RP or just want the look of a scientist/researcher could have the Lab Coat over their preferred uniform and/or undershirt.
  • Options
    leethorogoodleethorogood Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    These improvements look good, many thanks. :cool:

Do female (and male if it applies) legs have to be so disproportionately long compared to the torso including neck and head? :confused: It would be nice to be able to make the legs shorter to bring them into proportion with the torso including neck and head. :D
  • Options
    terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Fine for me - as technically, there's no such thing as 'male' or 'female' way of running... ugh ugh ugh. I hope we won't get the horrible 'feminine' animation run on any other stance than those they are on... which I'd not use even if they paid me for it.

But if they separated the run animation, so people put it where they want it.. that'd be good for all sides...

Agreed, I hate the "sissy run" that the feminine stance has.
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    While we're on hair, you couldn't make a request of the animation peeps to get some hair animation in the game could you? It'd be great to see more natural hair movement when characters run and fly and everything.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    satinpondsatinpond Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hi crypticjoejing,

I have a request. Would you guys please let female Romulans and Borg Liberated Romulans use the Long hairstyle? This would make me and many others very happy.

Thank you!
  • Options
    generalklanggeneralklang Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    A big update of a lot of little things coming down the pipe.

For the most part, the geometry and skinning has been subtly improved for tons of assets: the female Odyssey variants, most legs, pants, skirts, feet, footwear, and a couple small anatomy tweaks.

Some of the more noticeable improvements here: http://imgur.com/M4wDfVN

New versions look like vegetarians with an eating disorder. In that respect, the new models *aren't* better
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The other changes look good but I'm not feelin' the straight-leg pants.
  • Options
    satinpondsatinpond Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    These improvements look great! One thing I would like to humbly request, is would you please allow Romulan females and Borg Liberated Romulan females to use the long hairstyle? Thank you very much!
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    3. Finally, in looking for the most bang for the buck in time to noticeable improvement, in general, male characters are *allowed* to be more rough around the edges in most people's eyes. Men tend to have harder edges, more rugged looks, arguably worse style, etc in real life. So when there's a slightly jagged polygon or something's a bit bulkier, lumpier, and/or ill-fitting than it should be - it isn't as detrimental on male characters.

This reminds me of my favorite quote about men and women. If I rember correctly, it's from Matt groenig in one of his old pre-simpsons "life is hell" comics.

In general men's magazines are filled with images of scantily clad, beautiful women. In general women's magazines are filled with images of scantily clad beautiful women. This is because the male body is lumpen and hairy and ought not be seen by the light of day.

Also, on topic, thank you so much for these changes!
  • Options
    crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2014
    New versions look like vegetarians with an eating disorder. In that respect, the new models *aren't* better

So...fixing lumpy and pointy polygons, clipping, broken skinning in the joints, the fit of most of the leg, pants, skirts, and footwear, and even less realistic torso = not improved?

Or...the issue you have is the general art direction...which will not change for what should be fairly obvious reasons.

1. We've had those general base proportions from launch. We aren't recreating the game here. Just trying to improve what we have little by little. Besides, if we dramatically changed it, far more people would be upset that we've ruined their characters. Heck we already get enough of that with minor tweaks.

2. Silly question: have you watched Star Trek? The women (and actually the men too) tend to be on the thin side. Uhura, Troi, Dax, 7of9, T'Pol, etc. And go back as far as TOS or just glance at captaind3's signature image on these forums for plenty more examples. STO is an IP game and we take most of our cues from the shows and movies. And beyond that, real women can be thin without having eating disorders. Hell, I was a skinny, skinny man myself for most of my life and I ate like a monster.

3. Finally, there's a reason both men's and women's magazines feature similar looking models (nod to gavinruneblade's post :)). Why Hollywood actors and actresses generally look the way they do. Even newscasters. Why do you need a certain look to read some bs local news from a prompter? *A lot* of people are drawn to that aesthetic. Yes, you have some that are quite vocal about their tastes, but there are also many, many others that are ironically quiet about it because despite being the "popular" view, it is, in many ways, currently the controversial stance.

However, we do also know that's not everyone's cup o' joe (so to speak :P).

Great! Star Trek is also about diversity. And none of the improvements removes our bone slider options. In fact, as most of you know, we recently even expanded those. Nor does it remove clothing options. You don't have to run around in an Orion loincloth if you don't want to. And of course, you don't have to stop there - you can create a huge range of Aliens from the shows if you so desire.
    frtoaster wrote: »
    The second and third characters aren't the same in the "Before" and "After" images, are they? The faces and skin tones look completely different.

As someone who has taken a lot of screenshots in the tailor, I would like to make a feature request. Can we get a true static stance? In the current static stance, the character blinks and sways back and forth; Orion loincloths also flap in the wind. I just want my character to stand still while I take a screenshot. I'm not opposed to animations in the tailor, but I would like the option to make the character stay perfectly still.

Yeah, the shots are from two different builds. Aside from the first two uniform shots I just opened characters and put the assets on that had changed. To others that asked - the skin tones have *not* changed again. There might be a difference in the lighting and/or the angle of the screengrabs.

As for the static pose - I feel your pain :/ We often take character screens to show progress internally and it's tricky to get the shot. We have a static t-pose but it's not very flattering. I think it *might* be available in the Foundry but we definitely won't make it available in the regular character creator/tailor. All that said, it's not out of the question to get some sort of freeze anim feature at some point. Probably not soon though.
    While I can agree with all of this, I would say that while women have had 20 hairstyles added to the game and most new styles were added across most species and factions...

Hair...yeaap. The update on this thread is not about hair or any other new assets for that matter. But hair is a sore spot for all of us on STO. In general it has some of the worst looking assets in the game. The problem is it's time consuming and hard to make look good. The challenge is threefold: technical, artistic, and engine limitations. Anyway....on our radar...one day.

Before I cut out on this post, the takeaway for this is we have a very small team, and we're working hard to give you more and improve what's there. It is a living project and it is iterative. We add things and fix things, then we get feedback internally and from all of you on these forums. Then we go back and make more things and fix more things.

Thanks for the continued support and keep the (constructive :)) feedback coming.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I am Captain Darkrider and joejing is my favorite Developper on Cryptic. :D

Joking aside, the changes are an improvement, and I'd say don't pay attention to overly negative comments. Sure, it could use further improvement, as I said before, but I like the direction where this goes, making the bodies look less comics-book, which is definitelly not my cup of joe, further offering more variety and diversity, which is good for most people involved. :D

• Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hair...yeaap. The update on this thread is not about hair or any other new assets for that matter. But hair is a sore spot for all of us on STO. In general it has some of the worst looking assets in the game. The problem is it's time consuming and hard to make look good. The challenge is threefold: technical, artistic, and engine limitations. Anyway....on our radar...one day.

Before I cut out on this post, the takeaway for this is we have a very small team, and we're working hard to give you more and improve what's there. It is a living project and it is iterative. We add things and fix things, then we get feedback internally and from all of you on these forums. Then we go back and make more things and fix more things.

Thanks for the continued support and keep the (constructive :)) feedback coming.

I get all that. It's just nice to have the acknowledgment you guys see it that way too since we haven't really heard anything about hair since Stahl was EP and even then, when he left, it was quite some time before he left the last time I can remember the team mentioning that.

While I get that you may not want to flat out give us the new Voyager crew hair, to keep them unique, that is a nice foundation. Really appreciate what you did with Tuvok's improvements and how those filtered to the tailor.

Heck, maybe you guys could charge dilithium for hairstyles or something at a barber NPC. I can accept the work likely taking some real resources.

Anyway, thanks for the work on female characters.

Keep up the great work!
  • Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The update on this thread is not about hair or any other new assets for that matter. But hair is a sore spot for all of us on STO. In general it has some of the worst looking assets in the game. The problem is it's time consuming and hard to make look good. The challenge is threefold: technical, artistic, and engine limitations. Anyway....on our radar...one day.

Talking about hair, have you ppl seen this: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1237711

I can tell you that this is going to bring a lot of negative feedback.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Whilst I can't speak for anyone else I certainly appreciate any effort you and your fellow character artists make to improve things for us players.

I may not like every change you make, but I do appreciate that you are trying to change things for the better.

So keep up the good work guys :)
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My only gripe is things that aren't being fixed that make the work of character artists seem in vein. It is when those who should be fixing things are not doing so and feels like due to technological problems they can bust their tails off but then players like myself get irritated because the character artists do a great job but then we can't use what they have done the way they intended so. Anyways keep up the good work lets just hope the KHG female and one gender KDF race KHG uniforms don't hit the 3 year mark of being broken this upcoming November.
  • Options
    extremis0extremis0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    crypticjoejing i know s9 launch is soon but i was wondering can there be a slight tweak as to making all female hips size the same as custom alien species if it could be possible???
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I hope whatever you are doing for female chars fixed the huge TRIBBLE my chars get with some uniforms like korath or fed admiral and the like.
  • Options
    leethorogoodleethorogood Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    CrypticJoeJing Thanks to you and the team for all the improvements to the tailor and female characters coming with Delta Rising and beyond! :cool:

Could you please add allowing non Aliengen females to have shorter legs to your to-do list please? It would be nice to be able to create a 5'6" female character with legs that are in proportion to the torso + neck + head! :D
  • Options
    martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hey, are these changes still coming, or are they already live on the Holodeck server. Honestly, there have been so many changes and updates to character models that I've completely lost track of them! :o
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hey, are these changes still coming, or are they already live on the Holodeck server. Honestly, there have been so many changes and updates to character models that I've completely lost track of them! :o

They are live. I spent hours last night playing with the new sliders. You can set biceps separate from forearms, and for faces there's a from/smile slider. Women have butts and hips separated now, and the extremes were changed so an athletic woman doesn't have to look like she has implants.

Seriously, I spent four times as long in the tailor as playing the missions.

@joejing, on men the section 31 shoes clip with many long pants options. Just a heads up.
  • Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Can trill spots from the face and neck attach to the body without a gap in them please?
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2014

The sliders are live.

The updates to the female characters minorly improving anatomy, skinning, and clipping mainly on hips & legs, pants, footwear, and skirts are going out soon.