test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Want to return to game but how?

divvydenddivvydend Member Posts: 131 Arc User
OK I have been absent from game for nearly 2 years but I would like to get back into playing. However I am unable to download the game because of some stupid interface called Arc.

There is no option in the interface to actually download the game as I am unable to do anything except look at info on the game website.

If this is meant to be something to dissuade old players from returning than it is doing the trick as I am seriously considering just forgetting all about it and going to another game instead.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Right now it is use Arc, use Steam, or attempt to find a surviving standalone launcher (I think they still exist and work, but finding them is a little bit more interesting).

Once ingame, immediately decide not to jump on the grind train. Your gear is 2 years old, better stuff came out, but you DON'T NEED IT. My gear is from 2012 and still does the job perfectly.
  • Options
    drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Arc is PWE's new browser and client launcher all rolled into one. It's not terrible, but you would be better going through STEAM and getting the download from there, IMHO.

As for how to redownload the game through ARC... Launch Arc and click Games tab at the top of the client. At the right hand side is a list of top games. Click the one for Star Trek Online and the page that offers a button to "play for free". Click it and follow instructions.

You may have to link and old Cryptic account to a new PWE account, other than that you should be good to go once the 14Gb or so has downloaded.
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• Options
    bubblebaflebubblebafle Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    A lot of people doesnt use ARC, about installing it, unfortunately i dont use ARC, so i dont have a clue how it works. Are you sure that you are not downloading it?? have you checked your library in ARC? if you didnt have ARC, and you installed it before start to download the game, go to the ARC page again and repeat the process clicking in "launch ARC", the game should be downloading. More than that i dont have a clue, since i never got to download the game using arc.
  • Options
    vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I wonder if cryptic or PWE would get their panties in a bunch if I posted an ISO of my STO disk. I mean, it'd let people install the old client, so it'd be a while updating, but it would get around this sort of issue.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    divvydend wrote: »
    OK I have been absent from game for nearly 2 years but I would like to get back into playing. However I am unable to download the game because of some stupid interface called Arc.

There is no option in the interface to actually download the game as I am unable to do anything except look at info on the game website.

If this is meant to be something to dissuade old players from returning than it is doing the trick as I am seriously considering just forgetting all about it and going to another game instead.

You need to install the ARC client to install the game, once arc is installed, from the client select games then select STO then from the STO page click "play for free".

You can prevent arc from starting from windows by clicking on the down-arrow in the upper left corner and selecting "settings", and then from the "General" tab unchecking "Run Arc when my computer starts"

You can bypass using Arc to launch the game by running the "Gameclient.exe" application directly from the STO install folder once the game has been installed. eaiest thing is just to create a shortcut to that application.
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=505501&highlight=star+trek+online.exe

Check out that link...the very first post has a link where you can download a .exe for the launcher which means you wont have to go through arc or steam.
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I know I had joined registered STO forums back 2012 but never posted. So I can't use my internet screen name so PW got me back in. I still couldn't get into that account. So this is the screen name I am using for 2014. Odd reason why it's not showing Feb 2014 start date, but March 2014. I just leave as it is. Have you contacted Perfect World about your issue. They will help you. I had to contact them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The Arc launcher just keeps taking me round in circles with no info on how to download the game. Tried running I as admin and even tried repairing Arc still no option anywhere to download game even if I follow all of the prompts for "Play for Free"

OK this maybe a violation of T&C but I am knocking Arc out of the ball park as a useless piece of garbage and am going to simply use the old launcher to find and download the files.

PW should make sure to QC their software before putting it out to the public as this is a sure sign that the road they are going down is one with very little concern for their player base.

Thanks for those of you that replied at least there are still decent players online in STO even if the community mods can't be bothered to answer.

Live long and prosper
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The Arc launcher just keeps taking me round in circles with no info on how to download the game. Tried running I as admin and even tried repairing Arc still no option anywhere to download game even if I follow all of the prompts for "Play for Free"
    step 1: download and launch arc.
    step 2: after arc launches click the 'games' tab at the top. that gives you a dropdown with all of pw's games. select sto from the list and it'll start downloading sto into your computer. once that download's done you can launch sto from arc; but that download is 12+ gigs and could take a long time depending on your isp speed. it's not just click sto and start playing. it has to download it first.

it's not quantum physics.
  • Options
    verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Download Steam and find STO and go through there
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    step 1: download and launch arc.
    step 2: after arc launches click the 'games' tab at the top. that gives you a dropdown with all of pw's games. select sto from the list and it'll start downloading sto into your computer. once that download's done you can launch sto from arc; but that download is 12+ gigs and could take a long time depending on your isp speed. it's not just click sto and start playing. it has to download it first.

it's not quantum physics.

OK I take back what I said about friendly community. Try engaging your brain in gear before allowing your fingers to run away with themselves. I can't get ARC to give me any options to download. There is no droplist when I select GAMES. Itt takes me to the games page on the website and from there I try to find a download link. Guess what ... it's exactly the same as I said before ... NO DOWNLOAD.

I am qualified enough to understand Quantum Physics. ARC does not apply to any known rule in this universe.

In future if you haven't nothing helpful or constructive to say, don't even bother answering any post I make.

Steam is definitely a no go for me as I have no liking for going through 3rd party interfaces added to which Steam have been total asses in the past.

BTW I am in game ... no thanks to ARC or people like the above.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Just tested it:
    1. Installed Arc
    2. Launched arc, entered login credentials for first time
    3. Clicked on "Games" at top
    4. Selected Star Trek Online
    5. Clicked "Play for Free"
    6. Got window popup "You are about to install Star Trek Online", clicked on "Next" button.
    7. Star Trek Online download notification shows at upper left of ARC client.
    8. Star Trek Online now shows under "Library" with "Play" button on it.

If you're not getting #6, I would probably check any security softare you have installed which could potentially be blocking it.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    OK I take back what I said about friendly community. Try engaging your brain in gear before allowing your fingers to run away with themselves. I can't get ARC to give me any options to download. There is no droplist when I select GAMES. Itt takes me to the games page on the website and from there I try to find a download link. Guess what ... it's exactly the same as I said before ... NO DOWNLOAD.

I am qualified enough to understand Quantum Physics. ARC does not apply to any known rule in this universe.

In future if you haven't nothing helpful or constructive to say, don't even bother answering any post I make.

Steam is definitely a no go for me as I have no liking for going through 3rd party interfaces added to which Steam have been total asses in the past.

i'll answer any post i feel like answering.

as tekehd pointed out it's a few basic steps that any moron can do; well, almost any moron.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2014

im not qualified in anything but had no trouble downloading, installing and running STO from the arc launcher.
    maybe that says more about Quantum Physics then it does about arc.

after reading through all the comments I get the feeling this thread is more about having a pop at arc then it is about a lapsed player trying to return.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Howdy Divvydend,

I had the game itself installed and running before I ever installed Arc. That's because I was already playing STO, before Arc came out. Not your situation, I know, but this is how it worked for me:

Installed STO using the Cryptic/PWE Website: LINK
    Button is on the upper right hand side of the screen click it to begin.

Had/Created a Character and played the game a bit.

Installed Arc using the Cryptic/PWE Website: LINK
    Button is on the upper right hand side of the screen click it to begin.

Once you have Arc installed, you should get a desktop or taskbar icon at least, I believe there is an option in the installer to put an icon in the Start menu, at the very least. At any rate, you click on the Arc icon which is a stylized three segmented silver and gold circle.

Look over to the upper left of the Arc GUI. There is a drop down arrow next to the Arc symbol to ADD any game you want. I mean any game you have on your pc. The games don't have to be Cryptic or Perfect World Ent. games. You could put Spore, Skyrim, or any other game you have on your computer into the Arc launcher. You will get slots added to the left side of the Arc GUI to launch / play the game you want to play.

I believe that's it. Arc runs all the time once you launch it. If you need to turn it all the way off, go to your taskbar and right click and pick Exit.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    index1985index1985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    those of you that dont like arc
    just find game on torrent and download it
    when it is done just rund exe, and let it patch
    and copy shortcut on your dekstop and there it is
    no arc and no problems
    You have been blocked from following this account at the request of the user.
    so this is the way how cryptic is treating players
    and by threating them with ban even permanent one
    if they dont shup up
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    index1985 wrote: »
    those of you that dont like arc
    just find game on torrent and download it
    when it is done just rund exe, and let it patch
    and copy shortcut on your dekstop and there it is
    no arc and no problems

becareful of those sites, they tend to try clutter your computer up with adverts and possibly using logic bombs in the exe's and such. best thing to do is go through one of the links provided by the two other posters that gave a link since its from cryptic themselves, its all official.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    OK I finally did learn something and that is if I want constructive advice then I should not bother coming to this forum.

SO far I have been talked to like a child and called a moron because I can't make a piece of software work that obviously has inherent problems.

I have spent nearly 40 years working with computers and taught the subject at degree level for the last 12 years of my working life up to retirement, and have never yet met anything that matches the mentality of some of the so called "educated" people on this forum.

Despite what you might assume, I have tried all the steps mentioned in the posts and have finally gone for the best option, which is to not bother with Arc at all and use an almost three year old backed up launcher I found on my server.

Guess what I don't need Arc any more and I won't be back to this forum anytime soon.

Thank you to the non-judgemental people who know how to give advice without being insulting.

Thank you to the others for making my return to the game so memorable.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This thread actually makes feel a little bit ashamed to be part of this community. :(
    The Op came asking for assistance and while some people tried to help, others just jumped down his throat for no good reason.

Divvydend, I glad you managed to get your old launcher to work and I hope you enjoy the game going forward.
    Sorry you had this bad experience here, but please don't let a few of the ruder members drive you away. Most of us are at least halfway decent.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ignore the trolls i could not get arc to work ether just use sto old launcher. That the helpfull guys have posted links to.
    Little hint OP try this http://www.reddit.com/r/sto for help from now on
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    OK I finally did learn something and that is if I want constructive advice then I should not bother coming to this forum.

SO far I have been talked to like a child and called a moron because I can't make a piece of software work that obviously has inherent problems.

I have spent nearly 40 years working with computers and taught the subject at degree level for the last 12 years of my working life up to retirement, and have never yet met anything that matches the mentality of some of the so called "educated" people on this forum.

Despite what you might assume, I have tried all the steps mentioned in the posts and have finally gone for the best option, which is to not bother with Arc at all and use an almost three year old backed up launcher I found on my server.

Guess what I don't need Arc any more and I won't be back to this forum anytime soon.

Thank you to the non-judgemental people who know how to give advice without being insulting.

you should not blame others if you cannot get a piece of software to work for you despite your background, when it was obviously a very simple procedure for them.
    you cannot be surprised that if despite not having all the knowledge you have they found it very easy and reply to someone who is having problems with such a simple job in a way you might talk to a child.

but its strange, I have scanned back through the thread and cant find one instance of anyone calling you a moron or speaking to you like a child, just people giving step by step advice to help you to your goal, in fact the only irate comments seem to be coming from your good self.

I only found one mention of the word moron and that just said>
    it's a few basic steps that any moron can do; well, almost any moron.

if you read that as being directed at yourself I cant see why, it seemed to me to be worded just as a general observation of how easy the software is to use.
    perhaps poorly worded but still just about the software.

• Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,886 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    it's not hard to download the game, it's harder to link an old Cryptic account to a PWE account.

but you launch Arc, click on games on the top, click on learn more for the game you want, then the big blue play for free button. it should give you a choice of where to download. from there, it's the next button...

once Arc is loaded, then you find it under library, just like steam.

once you are in game, it's easy.. you start from the beginning. ;)
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014

OK this maybe a violation of T&C but I am knocking Arc out of the ball park as a useless piece of garbage and am going to simply use the old launcher to find and download the files.

PW should make sure to QC their software before putting it out to the public as this is a sure sign that the road they are going down is one with very little concern for their player base.

Thanks for those of you that replied at least there are still decent players online in STO even if the community mods can't be bothered to answer.

Live long and prosper

ok, I posted mine before I read.. shame on me. sounds like a bad arc install or something. personally (and yeah you have heard it all through the thread) use steam.
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    i'll answer any post i feel like answering.

as tekehd pointed out it's a few basic steps that any moron can do; well, almost any moron.

troll be gone. seriously.
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    troll be gone. seriously.
    you be gone, puppy. no one short of a mod or dev's gonna tell me where i can and can't post. i've paid my money just like everyone else and i'm just as entitled to an opinion.

it's not my fault that the guy who calls himself a computer expert and teacher can't figure out how to use a piece of software that over 1 million people have downloaded, based on the stats from the arc website.

i look forward to the day when arc becomes manditory. it'll weed some of the idiots out of the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    you be gone, puppy. no one short of a mod or dev's gonna tell me where i can and can't post. i've paid my money just like everyone else and i'm just as entitled to an opinion.

it's not my fault that the guy who calls himself a computer expert and teacher can't figure out how to use a piece of software that over 1 million people have downloaded, based on the stats from the arc website.

i look forward to the day when arc becomes manditory. it'll weed some of the idiots out of the game.

hay, I was defending your case, don't make me regret my words.>
    it seemed to me to be worded just as a general observation of how easy the software is to use.
    perhaps poorly worded but still just about the software.

perhaps that's just how I chose to read it and the other poster was correct that it was directed at him.

• Options
    nazelnagnazelnag Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited October 2014

but ... but ... don't you need red shoes so you can clap you're heels 3x before launching Arc to make it work ? :P
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014

so you ask for advice and get it and now you go to all the trouble to insult everyone else for it?

wheres that mirror, huh?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.