test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter features that could improve STO pvp

marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2014 in PvP Gameplay
Been mostly playing Neverwinter lately while waiting for DR, it gave me some ideas that could help STO pvp and may be able to transfer over as its also a Cryptic game.

In Neverwinter the primary PVP match type is Domination which is similar to cap and hold but better. It is 5v5 with 3 capture points instead of the 5 cap points we get in STO. The main difference is that people there play to win instead of just seeing how much kills they can get until one side gets bored and people eventually cap to end it like we do in cap and hold.

Reasons they play to win are:

-Your match score goes up when you cap points or kill enemy players on points, the more capping/defending you do, you not only improve your teams score, but your own personal score. In STO players are not recognized for capping and receive no type of score for it.

-there is a leaderboard where all players are ranked, so more motivation to do good in pvp both by capping and by killing other players, and not dying and not losing.

-there is a PVP campaign (campaigns are kind of like Rep in STO) you can get items and buffs from doing tasks in the PVP campaign like get X amount of kills on ranged or melee players, cap x amount of points, get double kills, get triple kills, etc.

-there is also PVP specific currency that can only be gained through pvp by killing, assisting on kills, winning matches, and completing PVP daily mission. This currency can be used to get items that are good for pvp but also good for pve.

-there is matchmaking system, although it isn't perfect, it does try to balance stuff so new players or players with bad pvp scores don't always face premades with maxed out gear. It isn't perfect but better then what we have now although we would first need much more active queues for this to work in STO

-there is leaver penalty for PVP, you can also get auto-kicked from pvp if AFK too long.
Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
Post edited by marc8219 on

Comments

• notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited October 2014
    Best thing you can get from Neverwinter that would improve sto pvp is the game designer.The sto one is simply lol .

anyway Im still waiting for offline patch for sto.I dont see why you need internet connection to play pve...its stupid.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    wow, so everything we want is already been built for this game engine, they just wont port it over. it sounds like they could easily make at least a half season out of putting this all in.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It definitely has a much stronger PVP foundation.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This is depressing because they use the same engine :(

I understand porting would mean a new UI among other things but the hardest part of editing the game engine is already done.

I would love all those things even if they didn't work 100%.
  • dius1981dius1981 Member Posts: 500
    edited October 2014
    edalgo wrote: »
    Imagine how many PvPers who would return to STO if ACTUAL PvP updates and improvements were made.

Keep bumping this thread maybe someone will take notice...

BUMP =P
    OMEGA ARMADA & House of Beautiful Orions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please keep the QQ to a minimum.
    >>>PUNISH THE FEDs<<<
    >>>Positive Feedback from a PvE HERO<<<
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Just thought of more stuff Neverwinter has as it was late when I posted that.

-20v20 pvp, this isn't available all the time but during a half hour long event that happens every 3 or 4 hours to make sure people queue up for it. Winning side unlocks a special PVE dungeon (like an STF) that has rewards that aren't available in other dungeons. 20v20 or 10v10 events would be nice in STO also.

- their version of Kerrat called Icewind Dale is better, you can talk to an NPC to switch sides, also their is missions to mine black ice which gives powerful pvp gear but the fastest way to get it is by farming in the open PVP zone and by stopping the enemy players by winning a domination match inside the zone.

-also since you have to cap to win and their is incentive to win, it makes playing a tank useful, engineers using tank builds would have some use in STO now in cap and hold if people were playing to win
  • playhard88playhard88 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    marc8219 wrote: »
    Just thought of more stuff Neverwinter has as it was late when I posted that.

-20v20 pvp

yeah and play at 5 frames per second in a i7 with 980 SLI. The optimization of this game can barely take a 5vs5 match, the UI bootleneck kills the performance
    John Sheridan@playhard88 - FED Tactical
    Vin Naftero@playhard88 - FED Sciencie
    K'tan@playhard88 - KDF Tactical
    Argento@playhard88 - RRF Tactical (FED)
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    playhard88 wrote: »
    yeah and play at 5 frames per second in a i7 with 980 SLI. The optimization of this game can barely take a 5vs5 match, the UI bootleneck kills the performance
    I said it can be adjusted to 10v10 which is doable for most even if you have to lower graphic settings.
  • ehrlehnehrlehn Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It would be absolutely outstanding to see these features ported over.

Derrick - Fed Eng
  • torachtorach Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    dius1981 wrote: »
    Keep bumping this thread maybe someone will take notice...

BUMP =P

Well, I guess if even they did notice.. whats going to happen?

But it brings my hopes up abit, they already have a system for whats lacking for pvp in this game... just having the rankingsystem ported over would be a huge "upgrade" towards pvp..

Thinking that the did give crafted items "pvp-dmg" and "pvp-res". On could hope this was a preview towards getting that pvp "reputation" system with rewards that would only give benefits for pvp.. this way the pve'ers wont rage.
    "Better were the days when mastery o' space came not from bargains struck with eldritch creatures... but from the sweat of a man's brow and the strength of his back alone. Ye all know thi's to be true!"
  • gregkanegregkane Member Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Some of these ideas would be AWESOME but if they havent shown any indication of giving a damn about pvp by now i sure aint guna hold my breath- my opinion of devs thoughts on pvp is like when someone u dont like comes to ur door "sshhh b quiet they will mayb go away"
    edited October 2014
    gregkane wrote: »
    Some of these ideas would be AWESOME but if they havent shown any indication of giving a damn about pvp by now i sure aint guna hold my breath- my opinion of devs thoughts on pvp is like when someone u dont like comes to ur door "sshhh b quiet they will mayb go away"

Well, they did convert the crafting system from NWN into STO.. I guess its possible that they are able to do the same for the pvp features.

We can only hope.. also people should post in this thread, the more view and more posts we get on a thread like this, the more chances are that they take notice and perhaps in the best case scenario they will do something about it.. :)
    "Better were the days when mastery o' space came not from bargains struck with eldritch creatures... but from the sweat of a man's brow and the strength of his back alone. Ye all know thi's to be true!"
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Matching to let "casuals" play "casuals", semi-hardcore play semi-hardcore, and the elite vs elite?

That alone might cause me to dip my toes into PvP...

The rest is either gravy, or nifty stuff that makes the first actually work... :)

"I believe the technical term is 'make it so'"...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • gregkanegregkane Member Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    torach wrote: »
    Well, they did convert the crafting system from NWN into STO.. I guess its possible that they are able to do the same for the pvp features.

We can only hope.. also people should post in this thread, the more view and more posts we get on a thread like this, the more chances are that they take notice and perhaps in the best case scenario they will do something about it.. :)

Agreed but the crafting got them money- LOADS of pple i know bought dil to get there crafting up and running. I also believe pvp makes money for them- no matter what they say- but i also think they dont want to promote pvp, lots of reasons for this but that would need another thread lol
    edited October 2014
    dareau wrote: »
    Matching to let "casuals" play "casuals", semi-hardcore play semi-hardcore, and the elite vs elite?

That alone might cause me to dip my toes into PvP...

The rest is either gravy, or nifty stuff that makes the first actually work... :)

"I believe the technical term is 'make it so'"...

Yeah.. that would really help people new to PVP "ease" into it.

Matchmaking taking perhaps pvp ranking and maybe gearscore into consideration.
    edited October 2014
    gregkane wrote: »
    Agreed but the crafting got them money- LOADS of pple i know bought dil to get there crafting up and running. I also believe pvp makes money for them- no matter what they say- but i also think they dont want to promote pvp, lots of reasons for this but that would need another thread lol

Yeah, but the problem is that they have "developed themselves" into a corner, feeding content to the fans of Star trek in general. There for also gotten a playerbase with most of these people...

I think that one of the best ways for getting Cryptic to give pvp some love, is to show them that adding pvp content will make them alot of money.
  • rudiefix1rudiefix1 Member Posts: 420
    edited October 2014
    Of course a "ranking/experience" system would need to be account wide.

A: I dont want to need to rep all my toons separately.
    B: Experience players just make a new toon when they wanna go stomping newbees
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@rudiefix Feds: Rudiefix / Thron / Opa
    @rudiefix KDFs: Lill / Xifeidur / Dehr / Ugly
    @rudiefix Roms (KDF alligned): Chicita
    edited October 2014
    rudiefix1 wrote: »
    Of course a "ranking/experience" system would need to be account wide.

A: I dont want to need to rep all my toons separately.
    B: Experience players just make a new toon when they wanna go stomping newbees

Yeah, but for how long? If you had a proper ranking system, you would rank up way past the "newbie" rank fast enough and wont be matched up against them anymore..

And if people wants to level up characters to maxlevel just to do this over and over again.... i say let them.. they gonna spend more time levling up chars than actually pvp'ing.. :P

But thats why we need not only a ranking system, but some kind of way to rank gear. Veterans that wants to do this usually just transfer funds to their new character and get them very decent gear to begin with. So if they have a gearscore of some sort, they wont be able to be matched up against people with very low ranks.
  • elric071elric071 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I would love to see these PvP changes ported over. I PvP now, and don't mind it, but it would be interesting to see how I personally do and how well my team does against the PvP community as a whole. I also think that a match making function would be great as well.

Bump :D
    Illigitimi Non Carborundum

Co-Founder of TOS Veterans and TOS Qan Mang
  • blahhdreyblahhdrey Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It would be nice to see even some of NW's niceties (like ranking/matchmaking).
    dEpN3nB.png?1
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    marc8219 wrote: »
    -Your match score goes up when you cap points or kill enemy players on points, the more capping/defending you do, you not only improve your teams score, but your own personal score. In STO players are not recognized for capping and receive no type of score for it.
    This would be, I think, the easiest thing to change; in fact, I would also suggest that scoring be weighted in favor of said objectives (for example: as I recall, BF: Bad Company tacks on bonuses for kills near control points). Additionally, healing and reviving teammates should also factor into the team score, as should assists...
    -there is a PVP campaign (campaigns are kind of like Rep in STO) you can get items and buffs from doing tasks in the PVP campaign like get X amount of kills on ranged or melee players, cap x amount of points, get double kills, get triple kills, etc.
    At the very least, this is good accolade fodder. Looking more closely, I imagine the buffs would be handled similarly to the ones from certain duty officer assignments - you earn them, but hang on to them until you choose to use one, at which point it's good for X amount of time in PvP maps. The items? Those just drop straight to your next point...
    -there is also PVP specific currency that can only be gained through pvp by killing, assisting on kills, winning matches, and completing PVP daily mission. This currency can be used to get items that are good for pvp but also good for pve.
    Actual equipment would have to be balanced very carefully (i.e. equipment earned here should be 'sidegrades' as opposed to 'upgrades' from their tier-mates in the PvE realm), but much fun could be had here with aesthetics folks can show off in the social spaces (i.e. for folks aligned with the Klingon Empire, sash decorations reflecting specific accolades)...

Another possible addition in this realm comes from Guild Wars 2: finishers. These would be a form of emote that can only be performed on downed enemies (pick one for a given match; keep in mind that it leaves you vulnerable during their animation time, so be careful!)... everyone gets 1 or 2 basic ones to start with, and earns access to more as you climb the rep tiers.

Now, I have some ideas about things (specifically, match types and their ilk) from other games that could be adopted to enliven the PvP experience, but those are best brought up in their own thread (indeed, some of them can be found in other threads, but it's more convenient for those interested if I collect them).
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I can't believe this is not been ported over already what do you think the holdup is?
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • maximus614maximus614 Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I would love to see something like this.

Also maybe make when you go into pvp so that it negates all this crappy pve content that keeps coming out for the ships, and have a single pvp tier that you can only upgrade while in arena (which would def get people in the queues) and leave it that way, instead of every 6 months or whatever releasing a whole bunch of TRIBBLE again that everybody has to figure out how to counter. I have only played in arena once since DR, and it sucked, other than that its never full enough to even get a match. And they honestly need a better way of keeping it pug vs pug,,this 1-2 man queue can still get some kind of premade on there. Should only be allowed 1 at a time to queue, make it a true pick up game, i think premades are fine, long as your fighting another premade, but we all know the butt **** that happens when pug vs premade is going down, its like mike tyson vs robin givens lol
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    maximus614 wrote: »
    Also maybe make when you go into pvp so that it negates all this crappy pve content that keeps coming out for the ships...
    Setting aside for the present your choice of descriptors for PvE content, are you familiar with DCUO's Legends PvP mode? I imagine you would welcome a queue like that here... something I think is possible coding-wise, given that we do have missions where you're given a ship and loadout for the duration.
  • oakland4lifeoakland4life Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The only way i can see PvP changes in STO is for Cryptic to replace Captain Geko as Lead Designer with somebody who have a better vision for both PvP and PvE without any bias... obivously throughout the years with Geko being the 2 time Lead Dev of STO there's never been a signifigant upgrade to PvP at all.

Many of u read my type in the OPvP channel which i got from him or maybe sum other dev in a podcast years ago which is the theme thats been repeated multiple times in the past is ''Wait for PvP updates next season'' and from season to season there have been no updates or new content to PvP with the exception of a few copy n paste stuff.

So i will expect no real changes or any updates in the future of PvP unless Geko is fired, quited, or he decides to change the way he thinks how a game should run... so far what i've see from him is just a PvE Grinding mentality.