test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Update after playing Star Trek online???

comradebliv#3047 comradebliv Member Posts: 72 Arc User
Hello,

I am not sure if I'm the one who is experiencing this problem but... everytime I get off of STO, I see that I am downloading almost 3 gigabytes. Which I find it odd.

What's even more strange is after I have finished downloading the update and went to play on STO and looked at the patch notes... I see nothing.

After exiting out of the game knowing it's for nothing I see another 3 gig download???

So why is this happening? Why is the servers laggy lately? There have been so many problems and todays society people just simply neglect on performance and only look at new content.
Post edited by comradebliv#3047 on

Comments

• Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Prepatch for the coming expansion? I mean, it only happens every single major update, so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    hravik wrote: »
    Prepatch for the coming expansion? I mean, it only happens every single major update, so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised.

lol. Not really.

I already download a 3 gigabyte update... after I finished playing STO, it shows I am downloading another 3 gig update?

So far I have wasted so much time and a total of 25 gigabytes on something that doesn't make any sense.

Cryptic...... more like cry-for-money likes to upset there people.
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Pre-patch.
    You can stop it but you'll just be d/l a larger file size later.

Let it happen?
    Preferably.

Do you HAVE to?
    Nope.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've not actually had it download more than 3GB. It says it's downloading but then stops.

My guess: It's downloading a bit and updating 3GB worth of files after the initial download.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    guilli88 wrote: »
    I've not actually had it download more than 3GB. It says it's downloading but then stops.

My guess: It's downloading a bit and updating 3GB worth of files after the initial download.

I don't think the Cryptic launcher has a flag for when you have already downloaded the prepatch or not, its just either on or off from their end. It just starts downloading it, sees the files are already there, and closes out.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I don't think the Cryptic launcher has a flag for when you have already downloaded the prepatch or not, its just either on or off from their end. It just starts downloading it, sees the files are already there, and closes out.

This is what happened:

1. Launch STO
    2. Have fun
    3. Done playing the game and download a 3 gigabyte update
    4. As soon as it's finished, went back on and see nothing
    5. Logged out again and saw another 3 gigabyte update??
    6. Finished update..... and Im like ok?

After that, it keeps doing this on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on.

But really? Even if it offers me to download the same thing over again with about the same 3-7 hours..... I shouldn't have to deal with this nuisance. That's stupid.

If Cryptic used a little bit auxiliary power for there brains, they should man up and post this so called "pre-patch" under the news.

But hey! Don't expect me to be a mind reader.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    It doesn't do that on my end, you're either mistaken, haven't finished the update yet, or have an unknown bug on your end.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    It doesn't do that on my end, you're either mistaken, haven't finished the update yet, or have an unknown bug on your end.

Maybe an unknown bug...

I have already waster over 40 hours downloading this same "prepatch". I don't mind downloading prepatches... the only thing that I do mind is this constant cycle download 3 gigabytes and take 5-7 hours of your time.

You know it's strange for a gaming company not telling you what's the "3 gigabytes" are there for. We assume that this is a prepatch and it is logical... but have they said anything about a prepatch? They didn't.

The problem is they never told (written) this under the news or in the forums. Another problem is for those who have a constant cycle shouldn't have to deal with this. This deceives people and waste more of there time (like me wanting to play STO immediately... but I can't due to downloading the same exact thing for hours and even though it completes itself.... it will ask you to do it again).

Like with this whole pay wall, players pay tons of money for the content that's in this game but does the company even put there heart into the performance for there game? No. I seen many companies do this and I can list them as I please.

This whole situation kind of reminds me of waving dollars across a non-intellect blonde that solely focuses on the money and does everything you want to get it.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Prepatch has never worked for me i log on 5-7 days a weak n it allways starts it again every time i log off its a craptic joke. If i log log on in the morning to do a bit of doffing then again at night it will re-prepatch again.

Im hoping that this time the day DR comes out i dont have to uninstall n reinstall the full game agian
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited October 2014

After exiting out of the game knowing it's for nothing I see another 3 gig download???

So why is this happening?

The initial pop-up after you closed the game was (as others said) for pre-DR patch .
    I suspect that once you've patched , it still does pop-up automatically (every time you exit play) as there may be additional files to be released before the launch of DR and the auto-patch system has been set up in such a way as to check for those filed every time you exit the game .

But once you've done the plus-minus 3GB patch , it should not download the same 3GB's again .
    It might scan those 3GB files , but it will not download them again .
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lol. Not really.

I already download a 3 gigabyte update... after I finished playing STO, it shows I am downloading another 3 gig update?

So far I have wasted so much time and a total of 25 gigabytes on something that doesn't make any sense.

Cryptic...... more like cry-for-money likes to upset there people.

its not really downloading 3 gigabyte each time it just starts downloading while its looking to see if you have the latest version of the prepatch, once it see you have it stops, usually after a few MegaByte.
    you will see what i mean if you watch the progress bar.
    if you are quiting the game you can stop it if you like just by clicking the close button top left.

your only other option if you are sure its malfunctioning is to disable on demand patching via the loader menu, if you do though dont forget to reenable it each thursday and on the 14th or you wont get crucial updates and that could cause untold problems.
    I have already waster over 40 hours downloading this same "prepatch". I don't mind downloading prepatches... the only thing that I do mind is this constant cycle download 3 gigabytes and take 5-7 hours of your time.
    QUOTE]

you must have a realllly slooow internet what you using dial up?, i downloaded the first prepatch in about 10 minutes and susiquent checks only take about 30 seconds

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited October 2014

This is what i'm thinking too...

I've been experiencing the same problem but on all the other "downloads" it starts but then at around 100/3000 it stops and the engage button pops up. If it were still downloading in the background then gameplay upon immediately entering the game would be laggy for me (wireless ftw) but its not. So thats why i'm thinking the same thing as hravik mentioned or possibly the upload is experiencing some kind of error and cancelling itself.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    The initial pop-up after you closed the game was (as others said) for pre-DR patch .
    I suspect that once you've patched , it still does pop-up automatically (every time you exit play) as there may be additional files to be released before the launch of DR and the auto-patch system has been set up in such a way as to check for those filed every time you exit the game .

But once you've done the plus-minus 3GB patch , it should not download the same 3GB's again .
    It might scan those 3GB files , but it will not download them again .

^ This ^

The "3GB" isn't downloading each time, it's being checked for differences. If it sees a difference, it will download those few MB in changes, and then close again. But it will check every time you leave the game.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited October 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ^ This ^

The "3GB" isn't downloading each time, it's being checked for differences. If it sees a difference, it will download those few MB in changes, and then close again. But it will check every time you leave the game.

3GB????

Oh my, I got a 6GB+ update.... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    rifor83rifor83 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Maybe people could stop dismissing the OP's claim that it is downloading the prepatch every time he logs out. S/He can see whether or not it is downloading, you guys can't. I believe the OP because my own prepatch data decides to completely redownload itself every time I close STO, and like generalmoco mine is also 6GB in size (although that is the total patch size, not necessarily the DL size).

I've taken to just cancelling it each time now. I'd rather download 12GB or whatever on DR release day than 6GB every single day until then (started last week).

Anyway, to the OP, that's my best suggestion. Just cancel the DL each time, as it will never recognise that your prepatch is complete, as it hasn't done with mine after 3 total reinstalls (after a HDD upgrade and then 2 more reinstalls after noticing this issue). I imagine you would also probably prefer a large but single download on release than 3-6GB every day until then... and your ISP probably would too!

Place annoying e-peen boasting signature here!
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2014
    There are two lines on the patcher. One is the size of the files on disk, one is the size of the actual downloaded files. People read the first number, and assume that is the download number. This has been a common, and repeated issue.

I just tested this myself. I logged into the game, and then quit out. The patcher came up, and downloaded 185ish megs (but patched 3.2 gigs). This took about 3 or 4 minutes. Once it finished, it automatically quit. I restarted the game, logged in again, and then quit again. Yes, the patcher came back up, yes it said it was patching 3 gigs, but it only downloaded a few KB before it autoquit again.

Perhaps this will clear things up. . .
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My launcher seems to be doing a 1% file swap before & after the game launch, based on the patch size; nevertheless, it's still annoying... :rolleyes:
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    There are two lines on the patcher. One is the size of the files on disk, one is the size of the actual downloaded files. People read the first number, and assume that is the download number. This has been a common, and repeated issue.

I just tested this myself. I logged into the game, and then quit out. The patcher came up, and downloaded 185ish megs (but patched 3.2 gigs). This took about 3 or 4 minutes. Once it finished, it automatically quit. I restarted the game, logged in again, and then quit again. Yes, the patcher came back up, yes it said it was patching 3 gigs, but it only downloaded a few KB before it autoquit again.

Perhaps this will clear things up. . .

Good point, many people confuse the two numbers.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Meh I don't even get to the D/L part. When I exit the launcher restarts and just hangs.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Meh I don't even get to the D/L part. When I exit the launcher restarts and just hangs.

The question is how long. Mine hangs for about 10-15 secs and then goes about downloading less than 3 MB before it shuts down.

Though after the latest Tribble patch, I expect some more substance (aka couple dozen to couple hundreds MB) to the pre-patch.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    generalklanggeneralklang Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    The question is how long. Mine hangs for about 10-15 secs and then goes about downloading less than 3 MB before it shuts down.

Though after the latest Tribble patch, I expect some more substance (aka couple dozen to couple hundreds MB) to the pre-patch.

That's what mine does. Gold with tribble installed