test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tech Upgrades & Accelerators

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
Is anyone able to dumb this down for me? If I right click on a piece of kit (say a Mk XII Protonic Polaron Beam Array [Acc] [CrtD]) I am presented with three available upgrade slots, to the right of that, I've got my item, with am empty box asking for a Tech Upgrade (I get these where) and a box next to that asking for an (optional) Accelerator (where do I get these?)

I've then seemingly got a chance for said item to result in Ultra Rare - How would I increase those odds? And if I upgrade a Mk XII Beam Array with [Acc] [CrtD] will the Mk XIII also be [Acc] [CrtD] or would those values change? Likewise, if the item is updated from Very Rare to Ultra Rare, do I get an additional modifier, and if so, do I get a say in what it is?

And lastly, is the upgrade system still in testing, cause it doesn't appear all that straight forward to use.

Thanks in advance!
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
Post edited by flash525 on

Comments

• Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Tech upgrades come in several types and are either crafted, given as future mission rewards/bonus events or obtaining them off the exchange. the really small ones can be bought for EC but you only use them for very low level items. these are also crafted at rank 5, the medium ones are crafted at rank 10, and the large ones at rank 15.

the accelerator are from the research pack on the c-store, or again from any bonus events, locboxes or future missions cryptic decide.

the base stats of an item increase as you go up the mark ranks.

the modifiers increase in number as you go up the quality. rare has 3, ultra rare has 4, epic has 5. you dont get to pick them.

if you have a mk 12 item, you add your upgrade kits (ideally the large ones to get the most points/dilthium efficacy then after you add about 5 it will upgrade to 13. if you add accelerators they act in a similar way and speed up the process.

there is a small percentage chance to increase in quality every time you upgrade the mark. once you hit 14, these percentage chances start to accumulate, so its largly luck based but given enough time you will eventually get 100% chance of a quality upgrade.

its not that complicated once you see it in action. just takes a few goes o get your head round it. its mostly finished but some items were broken so they just need to fix them and clean up the odd bug.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Doesn't sound that complicated, though I can see the upgrades being expensive if all the good objects needed to upgrade come with events and lock boxes - even if they are sold on the exchange, those prices are likely going to be excessive.
    the modifiers increase in number as you go up the quality. rare has 3, ultra rare has 4, epic has 5. you dont get to pick them.
    I can't say I'm too fond of this though; if I'm spending that much resources, I'd like to know exactly what I'm getting out of it.

Thanks for the explanation too. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    I can't say I'm too fond of this though; if I'm spending that much resources, I'd like to know exactly what I'm getting out of it.

this is a tech limitation they have. they ideally want people to be able to pick their mods but its not happening at the moment.
  • Options
    chrishellmax2363chrishellmax2363 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    On average i did the undine counter command armor and shield to mx3- 13. This took 6 advanced kits and 6 000 dil from mx12 to mx13. I did use accelerators on both, so thats probably why they upgraded so fast.

I was mainly playing around with the accelerators and the kits.

So 3 kits + 3000 dil + accelerator[no idea what this cost] = upgraded.

The difference is definately better on the gear as i died less in eft. This bodes well for my space gear as im close to reaching .
    Whether you think you are right or wrong, either way you are RIGHT.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You click a button it drains the dil number on your screen?

/edit

(behind a timegate)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    this is a tech limitation they have. they ideally want people to be able to pick their mods but its not happening at the moment.
    So they've released something that doesn't work how they've desired it to work? :rolleyes:

I don't get it though; we can pick what modules we want on our kits, why can't we pick what mods we want on our weapons, shields and such? Surely a similar principle could be implemented here? Slot in a Shield, Deflector (or whatever) and then slot in mods atop that. Uncommon gets one mod, Rare gets two, Very Rare gets three, Ultra Rare gets four and Epic (stupid name) gets five.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    [mods]

They did want them in there, saying nothing made mroe sense - minus classic crafting deconstructing items for components (also missing)

But they didn't have the time for it.

Then they went from we will add it soon to it might one day happen to now silent veto it out completely.

Again, what are people willing to accept and people don't even know they are in a position to demand [mods] but just throw millions of dil after recycled animations then there you go, full understanding of the cycle
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Doesn't sound that complicated, though I can see the upgrades being expensive if all the good objects needed to upgrade come with events and lock boxes - even if they are sold on the exchange, those prices are likely going to be excessive.

Thanks for the explanation too. :)

If it makes you feel better, all rep gear has specific mods for epic versions, no randomness.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    So they've released something that doesn't work how they've desired it to work? :rolleyes:

Tech limitations are just a part of game development. they need the upgrade system in place for delta rising. this is not something they could hold off until they got it working exactly how they want it.
    I don't get it though; we can pick what modules we want on our kits, why can't we pick what mods we want on our weapons, shields and such? Surely a similar principle could be implemented here? Slot in a Shield, Deflector (or whatever) and then slot in mods atop that. Uncommon gets one mod, Rare gets two, Very Rare gets three, Ultra Rare gets four and Epic (stupid name) gets five.

No one is saying that its impossible to do, but just because it sounds easy does not mean its actually easy to make. Kits were rebuilt to work that way. these items were all made years ago and work in a specific way and the game has thousands. it might be that they cant adjust all the items without wrecking all combat in the game.

if may requires them to remake every item in the game to make that happen then it could add months to development. if they were building the game from scratch then it probably would have been fine, but if its going to push the expansion back 3 or 4 months just to make it desirable then its just not going to happen.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Tech upgrades come in several types and are either crafted, given as future mission rewards/bonus events or obtaining them off the exchange. the really small ones can be bought for EC but you only use them for very low level items. these are also crafted at rank 5, the medium ones are crafted at rank 10, and the large ones at rank 15.

the accelerator are from the research pack on the c-store, or again from any bonus events, locboxes or future missions cryptic decide.

the base stats of an item increase as you go up the mark ranks.

if you have a mk 12 item, you add your upgrade kits (ideally the large ones to get the most points/dilthium efficacy then after you add about 5 it will upgrade to 13. if you add accelerators they act in a similar way and speed up the process.

there is a small percentage chance to increase in quality every time you upgrade the mark. once you hit 14, these percentage chances start to accumulate, so its largly luck based but given enough time you will eventually get 100% chance of a quality upgrade.

its not that complicated once you see it in action. just takes a few goes o get your head round it. its mostly finished but some items were broken so they just need to fix them and clean up the odd bug.

This is interesting. So, I have Spiral Wave Disruptors; VR Infinity with 4 mods. They can be upgraded to Mk12 (and presumably higher) but the only way to get a 5th mod is to make them Epic?
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No one is saying that its impossible to do, but just because it sounds easy does not mean its actually easy to make. Kits were rebuilt to work that way. these items were all made years ago and work in a specific way and the game has thousands. it might be that they cant adjust all the items without wrecking all combat in the game.

if may requires them to remake every item in the game to make that happen then it could add months to development. if they were building the game from scratch then it probably would have been fine, but if its going to push the expansion back 3 or 4 months just to make it desirable then its just not going to happen.

I'll just leave this here:
    http://xkcd.com/1425/
  • Options
    psyloafpsyloaf Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    If it makes you feel better, all rep gear has specific mods for epic versions, no randomness.

Interesting, thanks for that, but does it mean that when the gear gets to Epic XIV, the 5th modifier would be specific too?

Yeah exactly. I posted an idea on the Tribble forums during R&D testing, suggesting that each component we use to make said item should give a certain modifier. So an item can be made up of any combination of specific items, and each separate item gives a different modifier - also allowing you to double, triple or quadruple up on a mod
    Fleet Advanced Research Vessel T6
    Commander Science, Lieutenant Commander Engineering, Lieutenant Commander Universal, Lieutenant Tactical, Ensign Science
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    psyloaf wrote: »
    Interesting, thanks for that, but does it mean that when the gear gets to Epic XIV, the 5th modifier would be specific too?

From tribble this seems to be the case. However the full list of epic mods have not been seen so we don't necessarily know for sure.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Okay, thanks
    Commander Science, Lieutenant Commander Engineering, Lieutenant Commander Universal, Lieutenant Tactical, Ensign Science
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited September 2014
    Epic (Gold) items have special bonus mods

The bonus mod for an item at Epic (Gold) quality is a unique special mod that doesn't otherwise appear, generally more powerful than other mods. These are:

• Space Shield: [Cp/Rg] Combined capacity/regen boost
    • Space Impulse Engine: [Drv2] Overcharged driver coil, double coil bonus
    • Space Deflector: [SS/SI] Interlaced integrity, structural integrity/shield systems combined bonus
    • Space Weapon: [Ac/Dm]: Bonus accuracy/damage combo
    • Ground Shield: [Cap2] Double capacity bonus
    • Ground Armor: [ResAll/HP] Bonus HP and bonus resist all damage
    • Ground Weapon: [Dm/CrH] Bonus damage and critical chance combo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    This is interesting. So, I have Spiral Wave Disruptors; VR Infinity with 4 mods. They can be upgraded to Mk12 (and presumably higher) but the only way to get a 5th mod is to make them Epic?

I dont know. spiral waves are a little different in that they have 4 at very rare. you might find they go all the way up to 6 mods.

you might want to copy a character over to tribble and test. there is a vendor console at drasana that gives out endless dilithium for testing. you could just try upgrading until it works.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    Epic (Gold) items have special bonus mods

The bonus mod for an item at Epic (Gold) quality is a unique special mod that doesn't otherwise appear, generally more powerful than other mods. These are:

• Space Shield: [Cp/Rg] Combined capacity/regen boost
    • Space Impulse Engine: [Drv2] Overcharged driver coil, double coil bonus
    • Space Deflector: [SS/SI] Interlaced integrity, structural integrity/shield systems combined bonus
    • Space Weapon: [Ac/Dm]: Bonus accuracy/damage combo
    • Ground Shield: [Cap2] Double capacity bonus
    • Ground Armor: [ResAll/HP] Bonus HP and bonus resist all damage
    • Ground Weapon: [Dm/CrH] Bonus damage and critical chance combo

Thanks for this!!
  • Options
    christianmacchristianmac Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Im not sure on the odds to get a purple to upgrade to a lavnder (ultra-rare). I upgraded my enhanced bio warhead to XIII and got a rarety upgrade to ultra rare....don't ask me how.
    77TH FIGHTER SQUADRON
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Im not sure on the odds to get a purple to upgrade to a lavnder (ultra-rare). I upgraded my enhanced bio warhead to XIII and got a rarety upgrade to ultra rare....don't ask me how.

It varies based on level and type of tech used.

Basic tech provides more chance at a quality upgrade but costs more dilithium to get there.

Improved and Superior Tech upgrades provide more tech points but provide less of a chance at a rarity upgrade.
  • Options
    archerfanaticarcherfanatic Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Don't bother with upgrading while all this authentication BS is going on with the server. I just lost an upgraded console, the original and the required items because of this outage today.
  • Options
    locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »

That makes me feel a lot better :).