test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dissapointed in Smirk and Trendy

sanatobasanatoba Member Posts: 145 Arc User
Title should say, "Disappointed in Smirk, Trendy and others" (sorry about that)
sanatoba wrote: »
I am severely disappointed in today's live stream and the conduct of those involved in keeping the community apprised of all the details and what was going on. I have come to think that Captain Smirk can't handle the job of STO community manager (or if it isn't him, who ever is). The last community manager was much better and he was the one that got me to watching the live streams. Now I don't think I'll ever watch another, as long as Captain Smirk is at the helm. While I didn't fall for the mistake (or lie) on the Facebook page, I did fall for the RMC mistake (or lie). I accepted it on my main character, as principle, thinking I could then accept it on my alts, and come to find out, only AFTER I accepted it did it tell me it was a one character unlock. Now while my main is my favorite character, he doesn't really need the RMC. He has other power boosting consoles from the Reputation system. It is my alts that need it more. But now I'm stuck with it only on my main character. Yet Smirk and Trendy DID repeatedly say it was account wide. So I'm not happy. And I didn't even get to stay on for the whole show, Smirk just drug it out too long. So I missed the fiasco with the other code (Perhaps that is actually a blessing) And don't get me started on how long it took the STO forum mods to respond and start giving us info on what was happening. It was just ridiculous. (Now I understand things happen when preparing for a big update and that is acceptable; but not even notifying us that you too saw the problem and were working on it till almost an hour later, that isn't; began to make some of us wonder if the game was down for good) So, with everything that happened today, while I'm mad too, there are even more people out there that are far madder than me tonight. And Cryptic will ultimately loose players and money over it. And while this isn't enough to stop me from PLAYING STO (as long as nothing worse happens than a few fixable bugs), no matter what you offer from now on, I WILL NOT watch another of Captain Smirk or Trendy's live streams. EVER. As far as I am concerned, they can't be trusted to check their information and send correct info on to us the players. Put simply, I don't trust them anymore and think they need to be replaced (and/or the community manager).

P.S. many of us understand if you have been working your butts off on a problem and need to eat during the live stream. It happens. Those that complain about such a trivial thing, just want something trivial to complain about.

This post I made in the official thread for today's live stream says it all. But I'm posting it here too, to see who agrees with me. Smirk, Trendy and who ever else was responsible for getting us accurate info about the prizes and the server crash either need to step up, take responsibility and start doing better.....or be replaced. That is if Cryptic wants to keep enough players to keep STO going. Bugs inevitably occur with major updates and preparing for big expansions. That is to be expected (those that complain about that just don't know how much coding is involved). So I'm not mad about that. But leaving players in the dark about whether the devs and mods have even noticed, little lone that they are already working on it, and giving players majorly incorrect info on prizes and such, is not.
Been Playing STO as much as I can for 11+ Years!

"Never Surrender! Never give up Hope!"
"Prosperity and Success in everything you do."
"To Boldly go.........well punch it already!"
"To Be or Not To Be"....Alas, the Foundry is Not To Be. We Shall miss Thee, dear Friend!
"Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers?"- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Thank You, Cryptic......even when I don't agree with all your decisions....Thank You for Star Trek Online!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There have been a lot of fallacies when it comes to the community reps lately. For this..honestly cannot tell if it was a rep error..or the debs miscommunicated to the reps.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • sanatobasanatoba Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Either way, Smirk and Trendy should have double checked their info or be on here apologizing about all of it. They were the ones that ultimately gave out the info. We don't know yet who else was involved. So they DO need to be on apologizing. But whoever else was involved in it should also step forward and take responsibility too. (dang, I just can't communicate as well when I'm really tired; do you understand what I'm trying to say though?)

"To Be or Not To Be"....Alas, the Foundry is Not To Be. We Shall miss Thee, dear Friend!
    Thank You, Cryptic......even when I don't agree with all your decisions....Thank You for Star Trek Online!
    edited September 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    if i was in charge of feeding info to this community i would probably dump false info out of pure spite.

though i dont see why you are being so miserly over a free item.
    really, if you cant give something away for free without people flipping tables over not free enough... not much you can do at that point.

if anything, to me it means those in charge at cryptic are as 'cryptic' to their own employees as they are to the players.

This isn't really about something free, this is about the LARGE amount of incorrect or misleading info. It is not a good business practice and it is also not a good business practice to not apologize when a mistake has been made. If I saw that Smirk and Trendy and whoever else who was involved on here apologizing over it in posts, I wouldn't be as mad and making as big a deal over it. But I haven't yet seen them on here apologizing for everything and talking responsibility. And no, I'm not asking for more free items to fix this. I can't be bought like that. I'm asking for a bigger and official apology for the mistakes that seem to keep happening. I've only seen one small reply from one of them and it was a very simple little apology that was quickly buried and I have been unable to relocate. And I don't know just how many people really saw it. If they (all involved today) started a new thread and officially apologized for all the mistakes to everyone, it would be official and everyone would see it. And then if the employees work even harder from now on to try and keep these mistakes from happening, then I could calm down.

Though I probably still will never watch another live stream again. Playing and supporting STO in-game is a much better use of my game time......

• zbzznzbzzn Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Not to sound like an apologist, but it could have been an honest mistake. Everyone makes them from time to time, no matter how much they go over something. Or perhaps the person who provided them the information goofed?
  • captaincrane73captaincrane73 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This isn't really about something free, this is about the LARGE amount of incorrect or misleading info. It is not a good business practice and it is also not a good business practice to not apologize when a mistake has been made. If I saw that Smirk and Trendy and whoever else who was involved on here apologizing over it in posts, I wouldn't be as mad and making as big a deal over it. But I haven't yet seen them on here apologizing for everything and talking responsibility. And no, I'm not asking for more free items to fix this. I can't be bought like that. I'm asking for a bigger and official apology for the mistakes that seem to keep happening.

I don't know you, so I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet if you got the RMC for all your characters instead of one, then this thread would not have been started in the first place. Plus he apologized during the stream, if that's not good enough, I don't know what to tell ya.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2014
    I don't know you, so I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet if you got the RMC for all your characters instead of one, then this thread would not have been started in the first place. Plus he apologized during the stream, if that's not good enough, I don't know what to tell ya.

Well alright, I didn't see that. The stream started late and was taking too long. I couldn't stay online for all of it. But even if I did get the RMC on all my characters, if you did know me, then you would know I would still be on, wanting Cryptic or its employees to be apologizing for such a big mistake on facebook (because I missed the apology during the live stream, even though I never saw the mistake on facebook myself, friends say they did and I believe them).

Thank you for telling me about the apology on the live stream, I'm sorry for ranting. I think I better just log off now.

• robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There is another problem with this information. Now that this item code has been claimed on an account they nay not be able to use a similar code in the future with an error saying this item is already on the account.

That means this may have been their only opportunity to get the rmc on a character even if the opportunity presents itself in the future.

It is bad form.

It was also free.
  • captaincrane73captaincrane73 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well alright, I didn't see that. The stream started late and was taking too long. I couldn't stay online for all of it. But even if I did get the RMC on all my characters, if you did know me, then you would know I would still be on, wanting Cryptic or its employees to be apologizing for such a big mistake on facebook (because I missed the apology during the live stream, even though I never saw the mistake on facebook myself, friends say they did and I believe them).

Thank you for telling me about the apology on the live stream, I'm sorry for ranting. I think I better just log off now.

Fair enough. Have a good one. /salute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    edited September 2014

FYI Trendy also apologized in-game
  • darinjaneczkodarinjaneczko Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    zbzzn wrote: »
    Not to sound like an apologist, but it could have been an honest mistake. Everyone makes them from time to time, no matter how much they go over something. Or perhaps the person who provided them the information goofed?

You are to be commended for your optimism.

However, an apology is not a substitute for a resolution but simply an acknowledgment that a mistake has been made.

Once would have been forgivable, and IIRC an apology was accepted by the community for last Thursday's error.

Saturday's livestream has nullified last Thursday with some to spare for the next event.

If employees are attempting to embarrass each other by citing incorrect information, then it's contemptible. If they are failing to relay important information, then it's incompetence.

For me, I'm more angry about having my time wasted than getting my shiny item. I'd rather get my time back, and we all know that is not going to happen.

I think at this point I would simply stop the livestreams. There are better ways to provide accurate information and reward players for participation. The use of Twitch seemed odd to me to begin with, and I think there is nothing of any benefit in it for STO players.
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lots of apologies going around . . . just saying
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Plus he apologized during the stream, if that's not good enough, I don't know what to tell ya.

And they also blamed the player base for it occurring. But were caught in that lie as well then went silent.

In 2 years I don't ever remember branflakes fracking up like this or being called out for incompetence. These 2 are getting it weekly and with good reason.
  • borisvodikaborisvodika Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Do you realize how big of a scumbag you have to be to complain about something that is given to you for free just because they though it would be nice?

Very big is the answer. A very big scumbag. I feel sorrow for you.
  • kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Do you realize how big of a scumbag you have to be to complain about something that is given to you for free just because they though it would be nice?

Very big is the answer. A very big scumbag. I feel sorrow for you.

Toss violation.
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Inviteing the Star trek community to a Live event and only being able to give out prizes to 15% of the people that attended is Major TRIBBLE. Have you ever heard of such a thing. Everyone that attended should have gotten a item when they entered a code. Yes there should have been a time limit to help keep the players that did not attend from cabbageing on the loot. Still everyone that attended should have got something. That is just very bad bussiness.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    if you hadnt seen this from smirk or trendy then im surprised at that. almost as soon as they were on the forum, this is the type of thing i was expecting to see, i know their type from the way they wrote down and how they acted, that told me never to trust them from then on. since then they have tried but everything thus far has been ample justification towards my point.

but its not my place to tell pwe who they should have where, thats their choice if they want to do well or shoot themselves in the foot.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • borisvodikaborisvodika Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    kozar2 wrote: »
    Toss violation.

humanity violation.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I won't lie, I was a little annoyed that I could only give it to one of my characters.

I claimed it on my main, but like the OP I have an Alt that would have had more use for it. While it's a slight annoyance (the item really isn't that great anyway) I don't believe it's worth all the rage that's occurred over it. Not talking specifically about the OP, just in general.

At the end of the day, it was a free item and while the miscommunication as to the items availability was a bit annoying, it's quite a leap to start asking for peoples jobs over it. I'm sorry you're frustrated, I really am, but sometimes you just need to take a deep breath and gain a little perspective.

Yesterday, I didn't have an RMC at all, today I have it on 1 of my characters only. If that's the worst thing that happens to me today, it will be a pretty good day. :cool:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I don't know if it really effected things too much, but in all fairness there was also a major server blow out going on at the same time, I doubt that truly helped matters much.
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    Inviteing the Star trek community to a Live event and only being able to give out prizes to 15% of the people that attended is Major TRIBBLE. Have you ever heard of such a thing. Everyone that attended should have gotten a item when they entered a code. Yes there should have been a time limit to help keep the players that did not attend from cabbageing on the loot. Still everyone that attended should have got something. That is just very bad bussiness.

No, it's not bad business... Expecting something for merely showing up is being overly entitled...

This is a problem with the current generation... You get a ribbon for merely showing up, who cares whether you actually contributed or achieved anything, it only matters that you were there...

Bollocks!
    I won't lie, I was a little annoyed that I could only give it to one of my characters.

I claimed it on my main, but like the OP I have an Alt that would have had more use for it. While it's a slight annoyance (the item really isn't that great anyway) I don't believe it's worth all the rage that's occurred over it. Not talking specifically about the OP, just in general.

At the end of the day, it was a free item and while the miscommunication as to the items availability was a bit annoying, it's quite a leap to start asking for peoples jobs over it. I'm sorry you're frustrated, I really am, but sometimes you just need to take a deep breath and gain a little perspective.

Yesterday, I didn't have an RMC at all, today I have it on 1 of my characters only. If that's the worst thing that happens to me today, it will be a pretty good day. :cool:

The above is reason in a sea of entitled whinging...

Honestly, there are times when I can fully understand why Cryptic may indeed treat the player base with the disdain many attribute it...

Calling for 2 people to lose their job over a simple misunderstanding when giving away a free item smacks of a complete lack of rational thought...

I have no doubt that each and every one of you have made a simple mistake from time to time, getting fired for a simple miscommunication beggars belief and I doubt any of you would expect to be fired for simple miscommunications...

Get over yourselves... Be gracious you got anything and move on...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • pompoulusspompouluss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's a common tactic and a mark of bad character to say people should be fired for this or that doofy fanboy reason. As a customer, you hold a bit of power over a company employee whose job it is to make you happy. What you do with that tiny shred of power says a lot about you as a person. If your first instinct is to abuse that power, you are an objectively bad person. Sorry. :)
  • rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm sure they will be giving away more RMC codes during future livestreams, so all this hating is pretty much moot

Unless they decide NOT to do it again BECAUSE of all the hating :eek:

Way to go OP! you ruined it for everyone!

No more cheezburgers.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    And I'm going to go ahead and close this thread now.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

This discussion has been closed.