test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Issues with the Tech giveaway

aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
I have several thoughts on these:

- The Tech that is given away is bound to character .
This means that you cannot gift it , you cannot pass it on to your crafter toon (assuming you have multiple toons) .
So far I have only collected these Tech freebies on my crafter too s as I see them as useless on any other toon as long as they are bound .

- Another thought that vaguely came to mind was that once upon a time there was a similar give away (or some such) of bound to character Winter Item materials (targ fur earmuffs, Bolian candles etc.) , and when those freebies got stacked with winter items that you earned during the winter event then the whole stack became account bound, with no option to sell or trade .

Thus I am concerned that if these Tech freebies will behave the same, then they might "infect" other Tech items we earn down the road and make them account bound as well .
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I agree 100% with your post !!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The reason those are character bound is to make it impossible to "farm" them. If they weren't you can bet that some people would create a miilion characters to get the giveaway items over and over and over again to sell them for insane prices.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Reason they are bound, is the reason you want them unbound.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I find the entire thing amusing. The idea is to get players to begin tossing resources at upgrading items even though they cannot get the 'golden roll' yet. Sure the odds may not be great but still.
  • Options
    cody0893cody0893 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i kinda been laughing these last couple of hours this is TRIBBLE
    They killed your Alt's now they want your main
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    cody0893 wrote: »
    i kinda been laughing these last couple of weeks....... perfect world ent. is a public traded on china stock market and they are being investigated for exstortion lol look at what they are doing to all of the game google it i swear......i just sold all of my stock in this company and i susjest we all find a new game. Watch the market the next two days.

Ummmmm what?:D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Ummmmm what?:D

I believe that post may be doom. in fact I'm sure of it.

the really need to add a homeless guy outfit to off duty.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    sorry just reading on some story's comeing out of china stock price is droping still up over all but i will be watching. sorry might be wrong but the company say these aligations are false
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    kinda of of a scnadall atm its a news story so its not against the rules like i siad they say its not true . I still sold my stock and thinking doom on the give ways to the upgrades all doom,
  • Options
    casper32433casper32433 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The reason those are character bound is to make it impossible to "farm" them. If they weren't you can bet that some people would create a miilion characters to get the giveaway items over and over and over again to sell them for insane prices.

You can only create so many character without having to buy and upgrade from the Zstore, in which case cryptic would be making money. So your post makes no sense. They don't need to be completely unbound, just account bound instead of character bound.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    You can only create so many character without having to buy and upgrade from the Zstore, in which case cryptic would be making money. So your post makes no sense. They don't need to be completely unbound, just account bound instead of character bound.

You can delete a character and create new a one a million times:confused:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I don't get it... the way I read the post you need to have crafting skill to make the upgrade tokens, not the upgrades themselves, come DR I expect the crafted tokens to be unbound so they can be sold on the exchange to those who con't be bothered with the crafting system.

Regardless of that, most gear these days is account bound anyway...
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    The Reason they are bound, is the reason you want them unbound.

Actually , the way I figure is that Cryptic wants me to level up in Crafting to 15 on each of my toons ... if I should want to make use of this generous gift .

No thanks . :)

If Cryptic is trying to get more ppl to craft that's their business ... , but the not-so-upfront truth is that to make use of these "gifts" will cost you a ton of Dil to rush through crafting , or a year or so of logging in each day ... .

... that would be the reason behind the reason , behind the reason ...
  • Options
    bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You don't have to get crafting on all you chracters because nothing your crafter is crafting is bound only those items are, and check the exchange eveythingthing you need can be bought there, there is no reason to start crafting at all.
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    This means that you cannot gift it , you cannot pass it on to your crafter toon (assuming you have multiple toons)
    Can't you just do the following?
    1. transfer item and dil to alt character
    2. receive giveaway upgrade kits
    3. apply kits to item, complete upgrade if possible
    4. transfer item back to main/crafting character
    As others pointed out already, applying upgrade kits to items is not dependant on crafting skill.
    adamkafei wrote: »
    come DR I expect the crafted tokens to be unbound so they can be sold on the exchange to those who con't be bothered with the crafting system.
    Check the exchange, they can be crafted now and are sold there already.
  • Options
    thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have several thoughts on these:

This means that you cannot gift it , you cannot pass it on to your crafter toon (assuming you have multiple toons) .
    So far I have only collected these Tech freebies on my crafter too s as I see them as useless on any other toon as long as they are bound .

What does crafting have to do w/free Tech kits? I think you need to learn more about the upgrade system.
  • Options
    tcgrandpa#3038 tcgrandpa Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    aaarrrgghhh! :cool:
  • Options
    starbase1114starbase1114 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I really hate the bound stuff! I can see the problem with giving it to someone else but with your other toons of you own I dont get it!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    solemkof wrote: »
    Can't you just do the following?
    1. transfer item and dil to alt character
    2. receive giveaway upgrade kits
    3. apply kits to item, complete upgrade if possible
    4. transfer item back to main/crafting character

Most if not all of the weapons & ship/ground equipment that I need to upgrade is bound to character , thus I can't "send them over" to be upgraded by another toon .

As others pointed out already, applying upgrade kits to items is not dependent on crafting skill.

But crafting upgrade kits is .
    I won't be spending EC for outrageous exchange prices .

In fact I'm pretty sure I won't be upgrading anything any time soon .
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You can break the bound on these items by the way.

Break the bound, transfer to your crafting toon, and done!
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Most if not all of the weapons & ship/ground equipment that I need to upgrade is bound to character , thus I can't "send them over" to be upgraded by another toon .

Upgrading isn't dependent on crafting ability.
    Anything you craft is not bound (unless you equip it of course).

So, you don't have to send anything to your crafter, and your crafter can make upgrade kits, and transfer them over to whoever's got the equipment you want upgraded.

How's that?
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i love all the rage from folks when they cant be bothered to read things properly or just not read things full stop. the idea of this event, covering the next 3 weeks, is to give each 'character' the means to upgrade some items for only the dilithium portion of the cost, in most cases. this allows players to get used to the system and helps work out any kinks in it. there was no actual need for them to give anything away, it doesnt require any crafting skill, as is written in the blog, so stop mewing like a baby, accept the gift and dont be an TRIBBLE!!
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    qziqza wrote: »
    i love all the rage from folks when they cant be bothered to read things properly or just not read things full stop. the idea of this event, covering the next 3 weeks, is to give each 'character' the means to upgrade some items for only the dilithium portion of the cost, in most cases. this allows players to get used to the system and helps work out any kinks in it.

The problem is that there were PLENTY of bug reports on tribble they could use to work the kinks out. Testing on Holodeck where you could permanently remove procs (like [Borg]) on customers gear wasn't well thought out. My best guess is that this was planned at least a month ago, and had to be rolled out, regardless of its state.
    (I used to have a boss who had built rides for Disney. Publicity announced the ride would be open 2 months before they had it scheduled, and they HAD to go with the announced date. They got it done, and then the entire team quit.)
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Well if you don't like them bound, I offer you a solution that might work in theory.

Take unbound item on toon A, upgrade it, keep passing around toons B, C, D, etc. and upgrading it. Problem solved.

For those with Ferengi like skills, there is a lot of EC to be made.
  • Options
    strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, it's a problem. I've set one of my characters as the R/D and use the other 3 (so far) to feed it. Would be handy to shift the other packs to that one.

Sort of an 'Oh, well) sort of thing. Not going to use them right now, any ways. Bank them and sell dilithium for the next month, or so...then, after any and all bugs are sorted out; work on whatever items I wish to upgrade.
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
  • Options
    strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Well if you don't like them bound, I offer you a solution that might work in theory.

Take unbound item on toon A, upgrade it, keep passing around toons B, C, D, etc. and upgrading it. Problem solved.

That's the conclusion I came to; get an unbound duplicate and upgrade that.
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »

Except my MACO armor , or my Fleet consoles , or my whatever else is bound to character .

Your solution might work great for players who just got to Lvl 50 and have made little to no investment . :)

No doubt , but didn't it cost you dil to get to Lvl 15 in crafting to be able to make the purple Tech upgrade thingys ? :cool: