test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why r free upgrade kits bound to character?

casper32433casper32433 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
Title says it all. I have only made certain toons of mine do the r&d system. The materials r not bound in any way, why r the free upgrade kits bound to character when the ones u craft r not. I really hope u change this so the free kits can be passed between characters.
Post edited by casper32433 on

Comments

• Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    are you talking about the event ones? If it is, it's so you cant keep making toons to farm them.
  • Options
    casper32433casper32433 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yes i am talking about the event ones. You can only create so many characters b4 u have to buy an upgrade from store to make more. So if people did that cryptic would actually make money on the deal.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yes i am talking about the event ones. You can only create so many characters b4 u have to buy an upgrade from store to make more. So if people did that cryptic would actually make money on the deal.

Create Character, get free upgrade, give it to another character , delete character, repeat step 1
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Create Character, get free upgrade, give it to another character , delete character, repeat step 1

Yup this pretty much...i'm on my level 10 toon in Qonos and i just got got my free upgrade items, they arent downgraded for low level toons or anything they say superior tech upgrades and have the same amount of xp points as the ones i claimed on my level 50 toons. If they were tradeable then just like neo said, trade, delete, make a new character spend 2 minutes to get out of the tutorial area, repeat...
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You can still make new characters over and over and upgrade unbound gear to give to your keeper characters. But since the good gear is all bound anyway that's not nearly as helpful.

Would be handy for crafted gear.
  • Options
    vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So you have to buy more of course.
  • Options
    thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    they're bound because players are greedy and think it's their right to exploit game companies' as much as possible.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    thegcbacon wrote: »
    they're bound because players are greedy and think it's their right to exploit game companies' as much as possible.
    Of course, some players will claim that game companies are greedy and try to exploit their players.

As an armchair designer, I definitely know that people always try exploiting the rules. That's what you must prepare for. At least this time, Cryptic did (though the particularly aspect of giving away free stuff is not a new thing to them, so no real surprise.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You could create a character, run them up to level 10 or so, get the freebies, start some upgrades, move the items to the shared bank, delete the character, create a new character, run them up to level 10, upgrade some more, and repeat.

I'm not sure that there are any scenarios where this would be a sane scenario, other than being broke, and wanting to "stick it to Cryptic." I'm sure that someone will be bragging about doing this come Monday.
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Just shows the mentality of some people when they whine and moan about how a free item giveaway has been done.. IT'S FREE! Stop being an ungrateful TOOL!
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    swamarian wrote: »
    You could create a character, run them up to level 10 or so, get the freebies, start some upgrades, move the items to the shared bank, delete the character, create a new character, run them up to level 10, upgrade some more, and repeat.

I'm not sure that there are any scenarios where this would be a sane scenario, other than being broke, and wanting to "stick it to Cryptic." I'm sure that someone will be bragging about doing this come Monday.

If the character is a romulan and you go just a bit farther each time you can also farm boffs for Superior Romulan Operative, even green reman boffs sell for half a mil without any useful traits.

I did, for lulz, upgrade a white mark 1 romulan repeating plasma pistol. For 1k dil and 1 of the free kits it became a purple mark 8. A second kit got it to mark 9. you can use it and play with it at each mark before clicking the upgrade again after you level. So apply one kit and use it all the way from level 3 (have to get out of tutorial) to level 40.

That makes 2k dil and 2 kits significantly a better investment than the free leveling lobi gear and/or bajoran phasers from the zen pack if you make a lot of alts.

And I can imagine doing this for tactical consoles which are the hardest part of levelling.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    swamarian wrote: »

And if you look hard enough, you'll see the possibility of making a LOT of EC off this strategy of yours.

Rules of acquisition
    7 - Keep your ears open.
    9 - Opportunity plus instinct equals profit.
    74 - Knowledge equals profit.
    If the character is a romulan and you go just a bit farther each time you can also farm boffs for Superior Romulan Operative, even green reman boffs sell for half a mil without any useful traits.

I did, for lulz, upgrade a white mark 1 romulan repeating plasma pistol. For 1k dil and 1 of the free kits it became a purple mark 8. A second kit got it to mark 9. you can use it and play with it at each mark before clicking the upgrade again after you level. So apply one kit and use it all the way from level 3 (have to get out of tutorial) to level 40.

That makes 2k dil and 2 kits significantly a better investment than the free leveling lobi gear and/or bajoran phasers from the zen pack if you make a lot of alts.

And I can imagine doing this for tactical consoles which are the hardest part of levelling.

You sir are a Ferengi. Good job!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »

You sir are a Ferengi. Good job!

*activates title "haz da lobes fer biznesssss"*