test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Updated Power Calculator

jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
edited October 2014 in The Academy
I'm sure a fair amount of you remember Lord Havelock's Ship Power Guide and Calculator, or STO PowerCalc, as it was more commonly known.

However, it had not been updated since November 1st, 2013, and he appeared to have basically abandoned it in May of 2014, so I have since taken it upon myself to update the calculator.

Here is an updated link.

To edit it, go to the file menu, hit make a copy, and edit that copy. I switched this to Google Drive for a few reasons: First, it's very easy to keep the link up to date, secondly, you don't have to own excel to use it, and finally, you don't have to keep downloading an excel file every time there's a new version.

As to to the author's original statements on the subject,

FAQ

* Why not use Google Docs or some other online document sharing system?
I get this one a lot, and it boils down to aesthetics. I'm sorry, but I do not like the "look and feel" of Google Docs (nor any of the other similar online systems I've tried). GD is perfectly functional, but the fonts, backgrounds, cell notes, etc. do not match what I see in Excel. Not to mention there are some editing differences that are not available to me.

Others have taken the effort to take my sheet and convert it to Google, and that's fine for them if they like. I don't support those, keep them up-to-date, or otherwise vouch for the accuracy/functionality.

I personally have no issues with the look and feel of Google Docs, but if there are requests, I would be happy to convert it to an excel file and make the link available for download.

This sheet is likely to have a bug or two, as I started by modifying someone else's work, and added a very large amount of calculations, as currently adds skill points, gear (with a special plasmonic leach calculator), Emergency Power abilities, and has an option to add in EPS Manifold Efficiency if you're using two different Emergency Powers. Any feedback, bug reports, or the like would be great, though I am on reddit more often than I am on the forums, and will check the thread on reddit more than I will be on here.
SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Reserved for future use.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

• Options
    generator88generator88 Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hot diggity, thanks!
    =================

I'm sure your DPS is great, but as Kahless said, "a petaQ with high system mastery is still a petaQ." (Well, he should have said it...!)
  • Options
    sohtohsohtoh Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Downloaded it. I received an error message stating there was an illegal xml character in line 5 column 164. Attempted to recover data results in the first page being wiped clean of all information.
    "I'm not big on telepaths myself. I'm not big on guns either. But if everyone else has them, I want to make sure I can get my hands on the biggest one I can."
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    sohtoh wrote: »
    Downloaded it. I received an error message stating there was an illegal xml character in line 5 column 164. Attempted to recover data results in the first page being wiped clean of all information.

That is odd, I'm getting the same issue.

I'm currently having issues copying and pasting formulas en-masse from google docs to excel - I can get an excel version of it working for you sometime within the next week, but as I'm currently a bit busy (finishing this took longer than I expected and delayed a few things), is there some problem preventing you from simply using the mentioned instructions to edit it in google sheets that I might be able to address?

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

• Options
    sohtohsohtoh Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    That is odd, I'm getting the same issue.

I'm currently having issues copying and pasting formulas en-masse from google docs to excel - I can get an excel version of it working for you sometime within the next week, but as I'm currently a bit busy (finishing this took longer than I expected and delayed a few things), is there some problem preventing you from simply using the mentioned instructions to edit it in google sheets that I might be able to address?

There is no problem using the copy method, but I prefer to have a version that doesn't require an internet connection to use. There is no need to make an excel version your priority, this kind of stuff is supposed to be for fun. ;)
    "I'm not big on telepaths myself. I'm not big on guns either. But if everyone else has them, I want to make sure I can get my hands on the biggest one I can."
  • Options
    squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This is good work! My only issue is that it currently doesn't include the counter-command set. Or, maybe it does and I am a product of profound stupidity.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    squatsauce wrote: »
    This is good work! My only issue is that it currently doesn't include the counter-command set. Or, maybe it does and I am a product of profound stupidity.

Well, I was missing the deflector until you pointed that out, thanks! I did have the rest of it in (I'm pretty sure), but the deflector is generally considered the best part, so thanks for catching that!

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

• Options
    starportsstarports Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hey Vel, when you get the update done for DR could you put in the elite fleet shield in it also. Thanks

Crom