test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Foundry Roundtable Episode 74 plus Special New Asset Overview Video

drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
Welcome to the Foundry Roundtable, a weekly podcast dedicated to Foundry missions, mission building and other UGC issues starring Foundry authors Drogyn1701, Markhawkman and Greendragoon.

In this episode we head into the Foundry to demonstrate how to build a custom interior, known as a 'Sky Castle.'

Watch on Youtube

No audio this week as this is a video only episode.

Exclusive! Drogyn has put together a video showing all the new assets that have been added to the Foundry on Tribble, check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN4qyR1RCIY&feature=youtu.be&a

-- FOUNDRY NEWS

The 'Invisible Map Asset' bug has been fixed!

-- DISCUSSION

Tech Topic: Building a Sky Castle

Join us live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

If you have a topic you'd like to see us cover, have a mission you want promoted, or would like to be a guest-host, e-mail us at FoundryRoundtable@live.com or follow us on Twitter: @FoundryRoundtab
The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Post edited by drogyn1701 on

Comments

• tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2014
    Watching your asset video now. FYI, the cushions (Blue/Grey, Red/Grey) don't have collision, and are meant to be placed in the same position as the white benches. They are just covers, and won't impede sittability.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited September 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Watching your asset video now. FYI, the cushions (Blue/Grey, Red/Grey) don't have collision, and are meant to be placed in the same position as the white benches. They are just covers, and won't impede sittability.

ah, I wondered why the models didn't have any textures on the backs of them.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Very, very cool.

I take it the whole New Romulus map is there and Drogyn just using the normally inaccessible parts.

The updates have been phenomenal.

I honestly thought we'd never see Adventure Zones.

I would like:

A melee weapon restriction volume (had my fingers crossed for that).

A vendor that sells floaters, an EV suit vendor, and a melee weapon vendor, even if just the lowest grade. Easy money sink for Cryptic if it could be hooked up.

Nimbus maps.

The Golden Gate bridge and/or the Academies. I realize the GGB uses a lot of cheats but being able to use it as a backdrop would enable creation of what's on the other side. Actually, the Solonae Dyson map plus water plus GGB and some added buildings would be a fair representation of San Francisco as it appeared in Into Darkness.

I will say that all this fuels my three main backburner projects right now:

- A medieval fantasy planet mission.

- An Exeter ship interior based on Connie dimensions.

- A modern day/1930s setting. I've done a lot of non-conventional stuff with this, bashing assets together. The pool tables were a big help but I've been wanting some good glass walls.

Incidentally, glass walls + glass floors + water volume + Bird of Prey interior. Or would those be TRANSPARENT ALUMINUM walls and floors.
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Very, very cool.

I take it the whole New Romulus map is there and Drogyn just using the normally inaccessible parts.

I haven't seen any new maps. These are actually detail objects.
    edited September 2014
    No there are no new maps yet. Tacofangs took the objects I showed and put them into the detail tab for us to use. I have been contemplating which other base maps would be a good starting place for someone to build a New Romulus map using these assets. If anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Taco, you have no idea just how much fun I'm going to have with these new Ruin props. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    No there are no new maps yet. Tacofangs took the objects I showed and put them into the detail tab for us to use. I have been contemplating which other base maps would be a good starting place for someone to build a New Romulus map using these assets. If anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them.

FWIW, I'm using the Rator III map (which has some baked-in Romulan buildings and crates) for my "post-credits" New Romulus map at the end of "Valley of the Shadow III", with the Purple Sun 01 backdrop for the sky. (That's currently the closest we have to the color of the NR sky, though it's a bit darker.) Those plants will be very useful in giving the map more of a NR look and feel.

I've already come up with a use for the EV-suit volumes in Act I of my upcoming KDF trilogy, though that's still in the story-writing stage (and I probably won't get to developing it in earnest until 2015).

Thank you again Tacofangs!
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I am most impressed by the windows, in spite of the fact that they were probably easiest to make. They will be incredibly useful. The other stuff looks great, and I'm tempted to build a sky castle with 400 of those Romulan bridges and pillars. Still, holy TRIBBLE we got windows and a green screen!

Also, has anyone tested the EV cube to make sure enemies don't drop loot for 25 mobs thrown into a void?

Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2014
    After tinkering on tribble, I noticed that the round ruin building has a minor glitch. the top of the ruin is rounded, but the interactable geometry has a flat top. It doesn't throw it off much, but it looks odd.

What do you mean you weren't expecting me to stand on it? I stand on everything. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited September 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Also, has anyone tested the EV cube to make sure enemies don't drop loot for 25 mobs thrown into a void?

I think they introduced some code a while back that required that you do the majority of the damage in order to receive a drop, but it's definitely worth testing. Also worth seeing if there are any mobs that aren't killed by it. (Tholians maybe?)
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2014
    I think JHeinig made a version of the power that was meant to keep it from being exploited. But I can't remember now. Please let me know what you find out, and if we need to adjust it, it shouldn't be too hard to do.

After tinkering on tribble, I noticed that the round ruin building has a minor glitch. the top of the ruin is rounded, but the interactable geometry has a flat top. It doesn't throw it off much, but it looks odd.

What do you mean you weren't expecting me to stand on it? I stand on everything. :P

We often make simplified collision geometry for objects. If we need to hide/unhide something, that object can't have more than 2000 triangles. It's also done to keep people from getting stuck on things, and various other minor reasons. Splats and FX will use the collision object, that's likely what you're seeing there.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
    edited September 2014
    I ran a quick test last night, I had a Borg captain mob and then spawned a Space volume on top of it, which killed me and them. No loot dropped, didn't see any XP gains. I'll test it some more today when I can get an EV suit. Tribble doesn't seem to recognize my veteran status so I can't claim the one on ESD, but I think I can get one for EC on the asteroid mining station.

Taco, I wanted to try and test some of this in a published mission (cause I don't think there's a way for a Foundry toon to get a floater right now) but mission search seems to be offline. I published the mission, but no missions at all turn up in the search. Maybe you could prod someone about that.
  • illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    I ran a quick test last night, I had a Borg captain mob and then spawned a Space volume on top of it, which killed me and them. No loot dropped, didn't see any XP gains. I'll test it some more today when I can get an EV suit. Tribble doesn't seem to recognize my veteran status so I can't claim the one on ESD, but I think I can get one for EC on the asteroid mining station.

Taco, I wanted to try and test some of this in a published mission (cause I don't think there's a way for a Foundry toon to get a floater right now) but mission search seems to be offline. I published the mission, but no missions at all turn up in the search. Maybe you could prod someone about that.

Well, there's the volume in A Step Between Stars that actually puts a floater on you- they could maybe add that.
    edited September 2014
    So I ran some tests, myself. No loot drops. Also, Tholians were not immune to the effects of the space volume, nor any other kind of NPC group I tested. However, NPC contacts were unaffected.
    edited September 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    We often make simplified collision geometry for objects. If we need to hide/unhide something, that object can't have more than 2000 triangles. It's also done to keep people from getting stuck on things, and various other minor reasons. Splats and FX will use the collision object, that's likely what you're seeing there.
    Ah, I see. this particular object is very complex, so in that light, the flat top seems logical.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think they introduced some code a while back that required that you do the majority of the damage in order to receive a drop, but it's definitely worth testing. Also worth seeing if there are any mobs that aren't killed by it. (Tholians maybe?)

Speaking of Tholians, maybe we could also use a Demon-class variant of the EV cube that not only kills unsuited players/NPCs, but causes them to burst into flames, such as on Nukara Prime if you try to leave that shielded platform without a suit on.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    illcadia wrote: »
    Well, there's the volume in A Step Between Stars that actually puts a floater on you- they could maybe add that.

Huh? Is that something new?

EV suits always have the ability to launch to EV waypoints but that's totally different from a floater which provides true manual piloting flight.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Speaking of Tholians, maybe we could also use a Demon-class variant of the EV cube that not only kills unsuited players/NPCs, but causes them to burst into flames, such as on Nukara Prime if you try to leave that shielded platform without a suit on.

That volume should also deactivate Tholian EV suits.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Huh? Is that something new?

EV suits always have the ability to launch to EV waypoints but that's totally different from a floater which provides true manual piloting flight.

Uhh, the first time you get the Solanae EV suit, you have to fly Risa-style (AKA use a floater) using a special floater (with rental stats) built into the suit. This is exclusive to that suit on that specific map, and does not appear elsewhere.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg