test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will you do the Gear Upgrade System to Gold 14?

meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
I'm not going to particapate in the Gear Upgrade System to Gold 14. Who else is not going to?

As it stands, with the information available, HELL NO. At first I thought DR was just about upgrading a few ships. Now it turns out *everything* is subject to an (R&D based) upgrade path. As others have calculated, that's nearly 900k Dilithium for a full ship overhaul. plus all gear rep, Vulnerability Locators, etc.
3lsZz0w.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There is already a whole thread about this just a few posts below this one. Why make another?
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Impossible to tell.

Why? Because of threads like this.

I'm just going to skip reading any information on this forum about the upgrade system. One person says it's 200k Dil for your entire ship, some say it's more, some say it's less..

This guy says 900k Dil.. the information is too inconsistent to make a decision at this point.

The one thing I have learned is that absolutely no one here has any clue how much it's going to cost.

It's just thread after thread of baseless guessing.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • generalklanggeneralklang Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I'm not going to particapate in the Gear Upgrade System to Gold 14. Who else is not going to?

As it stands, with the information available, HELL NO. At first I thought DR was just about upgrading a few ships. Now it turns out *everything* is subject to an (R&D based) upgrade path. As others have calculated, that's nearly 900k Dilithium for a full ship overhaul. plus all gear rep, Vulnerability Locators, etc.

All the way to gold? Only if its a wild accident.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    We just had this thread....
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    mods are sporting chubs again today.
    no point investing in this thread.
  • mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    We just had this thread....

Well, apparently those threads didn't answer for Jack Squat.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Impossible to tell.

I'm just going to skip reading any information on this forum about the upgrade system. One person says it's 200k Dil for your entire ship, some say it's more, some say it's less..

This guy says 900k Dil.. the information is too inconsistent to make a decision at this point.

The one thing I have learned is that absolutely no one here has any clue how much it's going to cost.

The problem is, there are 3 qualities of kits and the better quality ones improve the dil to TP ratio. Also, part of it is the RNG's randomness.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »

I would if the Dil cost wasn't insanely, stupidly and/or ridiculously high.
    (I've not seen the costs, but I'm fairly certain of my guess w/ Cryptic's track record for what they think is a 'fair' cost.)

Add to that, the undoubtedly included, RNG so you get random crappy stats and we have another classic Cryptic stink-fest implementation of an idea.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Let's play UNO!

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Impossible to tell.

Using "basic" white upgrade tokens available from vendors, you're looking at around 37k dilithium per item NOT counting your ship or ground gear. So take the number of items equipped on your ships, multiply that by 37k dilithium, then multiply that by the number of alts you wish to upgrade and there's your answer to how much it will cost you.

Speaking only for myself;

Federation: 777k Dilithium, 420k EC
    Klingon: 740k Dilithium, 400k EC
    Romulan: 740k Dilithium, 400k EC

And that's NOT accounting for the extra console slot once I upgrade those ships to T5U. That's just plain T5 and the consoles/weapons they have right now.

Despite running STF's regularly completing reps and completing events that pay out large amounts of dilithium, I have nowhere near enough to upgrade even 1 of those ships, even after refining every drop of dilithium I have on all three of my characters. It would take me another 6 months to collect dilithium to do my ships, assuming I don't buy anything that requires dilithium between here or there OR I can spend a butt load of real cash to get enough dilithium. Either way, no thanks.

That is absolutely INSANE. I will NOT be partaking.

For a basic breakdown of costs, see this thread; http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1224531
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    37K Dilithium per item is not terribly out of scale--just scaling the price of current Mk XII purple/ultraviolet gear up to match Mk XIV would give a cost of at least 20k.

I will probably raise my gear to Mk XIV, but one I reach that Mark level I probably won't bother with trying for the ultraviolet or gold quality level if I haven't already reached it with an item. Basically, take my purple Mk XI/XII stuff and raise it to MK XIV, and stick with whatever quality level it leaves me with, be that purple, ultraviolet, or gold.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Weird sense of Deja Vu, like I have been here before...

Nope, not worth the cost.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    37K Dilithium per item is not terribly out of scale--just scaling the price of current Mk XII purple/ultraviolet gear up to match Mk XIV would give a cost of at least 20k.

I will probably raise my gear to Mk XIV, but one I reach that Mark level I probably won't bother with trying for the ultraviolet or gold quality level if I haven't already reached it with an item. Basically, take my purple Mk XI/XII stuff and raise it to MK XIV, and stick with whatever quality level it leaves me with, be that purple, ultraviolet, or gold.

Considering ANY rep item can be obtained for 34k or LESS, and Fleet items are 20k or less, then yes 37k IS way out of scale.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    corelogik wrote: »
    Considering ANY rep item can be obtained for 34k or LESS, and Fleet items are 20k or less, then yes 37k IS way out of scale.

so hang on you mean to tell me the new slightly better thing costs sightly more, I would have ever guessed this. madnesss I say madness.

and I like how you ignored the rep and fleet mark cost well done!

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Upgrading the mk is not that expensive. With the best kits it takes slightly less than 16k dil per weapon to go from 12 to 14, less for consoles but more for shields, cores etc.

The quality on the other hand.... well that kinda sucks. :(

Guess I'll just getting mks up and roll with whatever quality they end up with, for now at least.
    edited September 2014
    Upgrading the mk is not that expensive. With the best kits it takes slightly less than 16k dil per weapon to go from 12 to 14, less for consoles but more for shields, cores etc.

The quality on the other hand.... well that kinda sucks. :(

Guess I'll just getting mks up and roll with whatever quality they end up with, for now at least.

that would wise, save trying for gold for select things or when you have alot of extra dil.

personally I'm stick with just goting for mk 14 for everything... and I'm no going to stress myself over even that.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There is a common "complaint" that has come up in the various upgrade discussions - whether it's the gear or ships...Hell, in general.

"Me wanna uber nao!"

Did it take some period of time to reach the point one is at now? Will it not take some period of time to reach the new point? Is there any actual requirement to reach the new point? So it's like the current point that was passed long ago?

So what's the issue?

"Me wanna uber nao!"

So uh...yeah...hrmm...

Makes me think of the folks that complain that leveling takes too long so they can sit around at endgame with nothing to do...so they can complain about that as well.

This guy: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=19302431&postcount=14 :has the chill idea, just playing the game as a game and enjoying it as a game. It's not a job...we're not punching the timeclock at the virtual assembly line, why do so many of us treat it that way and then turn around to complain when we're the ones that made it like that instead of just enjoying the game as a game...?
    edited September 2014
    There is a common "complaint" that has come up in the various upgrade discussions - whether it's the gear or ships...Hell, in general.

"Me wanna uber nao!"

Did it take some period of time to reach the point one is at now? Will it not take some period of time to reach the new point? Is there any actual requirement to reach the new point? So it's like the current point that was passed long ago?

So what's the issue?

"Me wanna uber nao!"

So uh...yeah...hrmm...

Makes me think of the folks that complain that leveling takes too long so they can sit around at endgame with nothing to do...so they can complain about that as well.

sounds about right.

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    In the long run, if no other game catches my attention, I will probably do it. But it's not like I'll go out grinding right now (err,... directly on release of Delta Rising) and not stop before everything is Gold.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Honestly I think its more a question of money and principle than time. I look at it as a DLC for a microtransaction-based video game. To me at least (I know I don't speak for everyone, but probably a number of people), that means like the $5 range. The estimated $20-$30 per character is a heck of a lot more than $5. Thats expensive for a trinket even if you have millions of dil lying around, just on principle.

Even treated as a full video game purchase its still pretty pricey. A new triple-A game tends to run $60, or a high-end DLC $20-30. Even just assuming people are running only their 3 free characters, that means upgrade for a ~10% stat boost or go buy a whole brand new game. Just because one can afford something doesn't make it a good buy.

And note, I don't expect to particularly convince anyone, but rather to get people to acknowledge that there are valid reasons to dislike this system instead of just calling everyone 'entitled whiner' and dismissing them out of hand.
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Where does an upgrade cost MONEY?

It is dil, mats and a handful of EC.
    All of which can be earned.

You are looking at approx 2-3 character days worth of farming to get a single item mk12 -> mk14 (more if it HAS to be gold).

They have given us something to do with our time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Dil represents money, whether you buy it, farm it, stick to windfalls from rep, whatever. The cash to zen to dil renaming is just sleight-of-hand to try and convince people otherwise. No matter what the name for it is, money is money is money.
    edited September 2014

It is dil, mats and a handful of EC.
    All of which can be earned.

You are looking at approx 2-3 character days worth of farming to get a single item mk12 -> mk14 (more if it HAS to be gold).

They have given us something to do with our time.

silly rabbit just cause we can do it without paying and dime doesn't mean that we can do it without paying a dime. we clearly must a get gold everything right now. lest someones e-peen become more impressive then ours.

edited September 2014
    Dil represents money, whether you buy it, farm it, stick to windfalls from rep, whatever. The cash to zen to dil renaming is just sleight-of-hand to try and convince people otherwise. No matter what the name for it is, money is money is money.

so wait even though I'm unemployed and couldn't give cyptic money if I wanted to I'm somehow doing it any way? come one man at least try. dil is time not money, money is just to get shortcut on time.

• tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    im not going to bother with this updating, so its clearly not a case of 'wanting it now'. but the notion that a dil grind to upgrade existing endgame gear is somehow 'being given something to do with my time' is absurd.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'll dabble I guess. There's a few things I will definitely want to upgrade at the earliest opportunity; but frankly, I don't have full Mk XII on any ship, so why start fussing about having the shiniest stuff now?
    edited September 2014
    capnmanx wrote: »
    I'll dabble I guess. There's a few things I will definitely want to upgrade at the earliest opportunity; but frankly, I don't have full Mk XII on any ship, so why start fussing about having the shiniest stuff now?

because clearly you have no free will and must do so anyway. :P

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    im not going to bother with this updating, so its clearly not a case of 'wanting it now'. but the notion that a dil grind to upgrade existing endgame gear is somehow 'being given something to do with my time' is absurd.

But it's basically what's been going on since S6+...

Fleets...something to do with our time.
    Reps...something to do with our time.
    R&D...something to do with our time.
    Etc, etc, etc..all the grinding that folks complain about is basically the content from the game.

Otherwise, it's Foundry and PvP...player created content.

But from Cryptic, it's what they've been giving us since S6+...

Hell, one could go back and say DOFFing/Commendation was no different...
  • plummyg33gplummyg33g Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No i don't see the point of upgrading my gear to gold tier 14.

Sure you get new icon, but for now there is none of the unique feature that will be added to your weapon if you are upgrade it, the only thing that you get is some better dps points, and that is really nothing to be truthful cause with bridge officers skills and doffs you can max your dps without MK 14 gear.

Resources could be better spend in this game and i am intend too but not on upgrading my gear.