test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official New Upgrade System Feedback Thread

coldsnappedcoldsnapped Member Posts: 520 Cryptic Developer
Please use this thread to post all feedback and bugs found in the new Upgrade System.

Upgrade System
  • The upgrade system allows you to upgrade your items on your ship and your crew.
  • Access the Upgrade System by choosing the option when right clicking on an item or, click the Upgrade button on the bottom left of the Inventory window.
  • For more information, please read the Upgrade System Blog at: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7005783
  • This system is not in a final state.
    • This includes some items which cannot be upgraded, text, and icons.
Post edited by coldsnapped on

Comments

• mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I can't upgrade my Tribble of Borg. :P

(I am only half joking here; it would be kind of cool if I could upgrade it from giving me "+1.5 damage resistance for 3,600 seconds" to something like "+3 damage resistance for 6,400 seconds.")

*Please allow us to fabricate Tech Upgrades in bulk like we can with components. (Even if only up to 5 at a time.) I realize that we already get 3 on a crit but seriously, with the number of these that are required to take ONE item up just ONE level, this more than anything else in the game needs to ability to fabricate in bulk. Why do you hate us? We can't do anything in bulk in this game. The UI never allows for it. Doff contribution to starbase? Nope, one at a time. Slotting Traits? One at a time. Buying from bartenders? One at a time. Buying commodities? 100 at a time is a pithy amount and you know it. Deleting mail? One at a time. The amount of clicking needed to do anything in this game in bulk is gobsmackingly stupid, especially in the R&D UI.

*The "Start Task" button for fabricating "Improved Beam Weapons Tech Upgrades" is incredibly laggy. I select the project and it takes upwards of 60 seconds for the button to go from grayed out to ready to click. I don't know if this is normal or just something to do with the Tribble shard. This seems to be much worse in a populated zone like ESD but almost goes away entirely in an empty zone. I can force my way around this issue by changing which Doff is slotted into the R&D project or changing the number of items to be crafted (for those projects that allow multiples); that will immediately cause the Start Task button to light up.

*Can't upgrade any Nanopulse Lirpa or Bat'leth (I have all 6). If I right click to upgrade it, it doesn't convert into a Mk XII. It opens the upgrade UI and says "Item is already fully upgraded" while staying at ∞.

Other items that I cannot upgrade:
    • Borg Prosthetic arms guns.
    • [Nelen Exil's Wide Beam Pistol Mk XI [Dmg]]
    • [Adaptive Transphasic Torpedo Mk XII [Dmg]x3 [Borg]] (mission reward)
    • Bio-Molecular Warhead Launcher Mk XI (the old mission reward that was replaced with the above Adaptive Transphasic)
    • Tal Shiar Tachyon Deflector Array
    • Hangar pets (will it be possible to take these from UltraViolet to Epic?)
    • [Obelisk Subspace Rift Warp Core]
    • [Plasma-Disruptor Hybrid Beam Array Mk XI] mission reward
    • [Console - Engineering - Neutronium Alloy Mk XI] (this one is equipped on one of my ships from years ago, it could just be from an ancient drop table)
    • [Console - Engineering - Neutronium Alloy Mk XI] (this one is equipped on one of my ships from years ago, it could just be from an ancient drop table)
    • [Numiri Regenerative Shield Array Mk XI]
    • [Omni-Directional Antiproton Beam Array [Acc] [Arc] [Dmg]] (mission reward version)
    • [Polarized Tetryon Beam Array Mk XI] (this probably affects all of these mission rewards but the beam array is the only one that I have on me at the moment)
    • [Console - Science - Graviton Generator Mk XI]
    • [Breen Transphasic Cluster Torpedo]
    • [Console - Science - Stealth Module Mk XI]
    • [Console - Science - Emitter Array Mk XI]
    • [Bio-neural Warhead]
    • [Console - Universal - Assimilated Module]
    • [Tractor Beam Mine Launcher]
    • [Nausicaan Tegolar Sword Mk XII [CrtH]x2 [Dmg]]
    • [Triolic Pattern Enhancer] (I know this is a Device, like the Ophidian cane, and it seems that devices can't be upgraded, but it's an idea)
    • All of the brand new Thoron-Infused Polaron weapons.
    • The original Nukara ground set, i.e. [Crystalline Personal Shield Matrix] [Crystal-Woven Environmental Suit] and [Compressed Cryo Launcher], all of which are ∞ gear
    • Fused weapons. i.e. the Tempest Tail gun and Dyson Proton DHC.
    • Veteran combat EV suits that you claim from the console on ESD/Qo'noS/New Romulus such as [Federation Combat Environmental Suit]
    • Solanae EV Suits
    • Dominion Polaron beam arrays
    • Pre-Season 9.5 Aegis sets
    • [Console - Science - Flow Capacitor Mk XI]
    • [Console - Science - Particle Generator Mk XI]
    • [Chroniton Flux Torpedo Launcher Mk XI]

*When I right click on my old [Jem'Hadar Armor Mk XI] it changed the portrait icon.
    https://i.imgur.com/YlizffC.jpg

*The icon for my [Plasma Piercing Beam Rifle Mk XI [CrtH] [Dmg] [DoT3]] changed to the wrong icon when I upgraded it.
    https://i.imgur.com/U586z0Y.jpg
    (p.s. When are these being re-added to the dilithium store or crafting or reputation so that I can buy more of them for my other characters?)

*The upgrade for [Prototype Gravitic Impulse Engines Mk XI] is broken. I tried to upgrade it and it turned into a vanilla [Impulse Engines Mk XI] :confused:

*What happens to lockbox consoles like [Console - Universal - Fluidic Phase Decoupler] or [Console - Universal - Spatial Charge Launcher]? The recent blog mentioned C-Store consoles only, and these consoles have not been upgraded to Epic rarity.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • trelane87trelane87 Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Unable to upgrade my Nausicaan Tegolar Sword Mk XII [CritD]x3, Lirpas can be upgraded, Tsunkatse swords can, and the Tholian Sword from the Rep system work... checked a couple other Nausicaan swords and none of them can be upgraded either.

Also no KITS or KIT MODULES can be upgraded

EDIT: Items that do not have an option to upgrade when clicked:
    Kit Mods
    Kit Frames
    Nausicaan Swords
    Transphasic Cluster Torpedo Mk XIII [Acc] [Dmg]
    Synchronic Proton Distortion Prototype Assault Rifle
    Federation Type 2 Phaser Mk XI
    Federation Type 3 Phaser Rifle Mk XI
    CRM 200
    Breen Transphasic Cluster Torpedo

Federation Type 1 Phaser

I've noticed a lot of 'special' items from missions like the TOS style ground phasers that are rare quality do not have an upgrade option, I will add to the list as I find more.
  • dukedom01dukedom01 Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    CRM 200 & Synchronic Proton Distortion Prototype Assault Rifle cannot be upgraded either.

So do:
    • Legacy Aegis sets from before the latest crafting revamp.
    • Federation Type 2 Phaser
    • Federation Type 3 Phaser Rifle
    • The three Solanae Enviromental Suits
    • Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo Launcher from the Regent
    • Every fraking Shuttle item

Enjoy.
    Ceterum censeo Otha supplendum in praemiis.
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Add to this list the
    • Nanopulse Weapons
    • The new Tricobalt Cluster Torpedo
    • And all consoles
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • salamiinfernosalamiinferno Member Posts: 159 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2014
    Guys, this sort of feedback is absolutely invaluable with the quantity of items we have in the game. Some of these items are intentionally not upgradable, but the vast majority of them are bugs. Please keep these lists coming, we're making fixes for issues as soon as you can find them!
  • jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 361 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2014
    Certain items cannot be upgraded currently, by design:

* TR-116A (preorder rifle)
    * Triolic pattern enhancer
    * All hangar pets
    * All kits and kit modules
    * Epic (Gold) quality starship consoles such as Saucer Separation, MVAM, or the Defiant's Cloaking Device -- note that this does NOT include starship weapons such as the Defiant's quad cannons
  • flyingtargflyingtarg Member Posts: 105 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2014
    Many of the "level-less" items (The items that use the ∞ symbol) may not be upgradeable until level 60.

Other items that won't be upgradeable include "Starter" items, such as the Phaser pistol you get in the tutorial, and any Common quality weapons that come with ships (For example, a Mk X phaser array that comes by default on a Tier 5 ship). These items will never be upgradeable.

Pretty much everything else should be, so keep these reports coming, these are extremely useful to us.
    Daniel "FlyingTarg" Razza
    Star Trek Online Lead Programmer
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Requiring the upgrade system to use the R&D crafting system is fail on it's face. Sorry. I will not be upgrading anything and STO just became a whole lot less important to me.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
    edited September 2014
    jheinig wrote: »

I am VERY displeased by this. There are no XII modules in circulation for the vast majority of old kit modules, only lockbox or reputation modules. I want an [Assault Kit Module - Motion Accelerator Mk XII] but the best one that I can possibly get in the game is an [Assault Kit Module - Motion Accelerator Mk XII] from an old fleet kit turn-in.

-edit- Unless this is coming in a future update (i.e. one that allows crafting of Kit modules), in which case nevermind But if there is no future update for this, then yes, I am very angry about this.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited September 2014

* TR-116A (preorder rifle)
    * All hangar pets
    Guess we should just wait on the kit and starship schools for those then. ;)
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Guys, this sort of feedback is absolutely invaluable with the quantity of items we have in the game. Some of these items are intentionally not upgradable, but the vast majority of them are bugs. Please keep these lists coming, we're making fixes for issues as soon as you can find them!

I brought up the alarm on some of these when all the items got free upgrades in Holodeck. Seems no one paid attention.

Players keep checking absolutely everything. No item must be left unchecked.
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It doesn't require it, they just use the same interface.
    Dev Blog wrote:
    Dev Blog
    R&D Deploys Upgrades

Though you can purchase Basic Tech Upgrade packages, these are most useful for upgrading low-Mark items. Having Research & Development skills will allow you to make your own Tech Upgrades. Each school includes recipes for making Tech Upgrades for items of its type. At level 5 in an R&D school, you can make Basic Tech Upgrades; at level 10, you can make Improved Tech Upgrades; at level 15, you can make Superior Tech Upgrades. These Tech Upgrade packages don’t cost you any dilithium to craft, and you can trade or sell them at your discretion.

Just like R&D, Tech Upgrades come in groups related to the seven schools: Beam weapons and consoles, Cannon weapons and consoles, Engineering for engines and engineering consoles, Science for deflectors and science consoles, Shields for all ground and space shields, Ground Gear for ground weapons and armor, and Projectiles for space torpedoes and related consoles. When you craft a Tech Upgrade, you’ll make one based on your choice of school, usable for upgrading items of that type.

Rep gear should be upgraded through the rep system, not some convoluted concoction designed to get you to use the R&D system for the "best" upgrades.

In order to get the highest upgrade for your high mark items, you have to have high R&D skill in that area. That requires using and "mastering" the R&D system, which makes the whole upgrade system a fail.

Spin it anyway you like, proclaim anything you like, the Dev Blog speaks volumes and gives the truth in this situation.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    flyingtarg wrote: »
    Many of the "level-less" items (The items that use the ∞ symbol) may not be upgrade-able until level 60.

So while the Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo Launcher definitely cannot be upgraded at the moment (at level 50), strangely enough Spiral Wave Disruptors can. Is there some sort of criteria as to which items are impacted by this rule?

I would think that if $$$ weapons like the Spirals can be upgraded immediately, then so should anything else people shelled our real cash for (WAQ, Lobi items, etc.)
    edited September 2014
    That would be the un-bound, sellable, tradeable Tech Upgrades that you can get from someone else's crafting or from the Exchange, then.

No R&D skill is required for your character to apply a Tech Upgrade to an item.
    edited September 2014
    So while the Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo Launcher definitely cannot be upgraded at the moment (at level 50), strangely enough Spiral Wave Disruptors can. Is there some sort of criteria as to which items are impacted by this rule?

I would think that if $$$ weapons like the Spirals can be upgraded immediately, then so should anything else people shelled our real cash for (WAQ, Lobi items, etc.)

It's a bug, I'll be updating that shortly.
    edited September 2014
    Can we pretty please with a cherry on top get a full(ish) list of gear that won't upgrade by design? It would help all of us in the general public not waste time with reporting things that won't upgrade by design.

* TR-116A (preorder rifle) (Does this affect other preorders? Chomodynamic armor? Defense turret? Phaser Satellite?)
    * All hangar pets
    *Starter gear
    *Certain ∞ gear? (also can we get a separate list for which of these items can't be upgraded until 60?)

No R&D skill is required for your character to apply a Tech Upgrade to an item.

I noticed that and I'm quite happy that R&D skill is only needed to fabricate the upgrade items, not to apply them. :)

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
  • smazazelsmazazel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    the cannon from the dyson destroyer can't upgrade but also cant be removed, but it is purple and not gold, the plasmic leech is also unupgradable but it is gold.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What sort of numbers are we looking at here?

How many kits and how much dilithium would be required to upgrade a Mk XII Very Rare beam array for example?
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • illustriousqillustriousq Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I ran into a bug where a MK XII Ultra Rare TR-116B dropped down to a MK X Ultra Rare TR-116B on the first application of an upgrade.

I managed to get it up to a MK XIV Legendary after a few minutes, but that initial drop seemed like a bug.

Also, the 700 dil per application of each tech upgrade is way too high.

I had well over 400k in dil and managed to eat right through all of it in about 10 minutes.

On just one item.

Recommend turning the Dilithium cost into a single time cost of 8000 dil per upgrade level (meaning each time the counter hits 100%), that way there the player is still able to make progress on upgrading this gear rather than be completely bankrupt after only 10 minutes of playing this system.
  • schmedickeschmedicke Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Just a question. Lets say you upgrade a rep item like Romulan DHC (ACC)x2 to gold, does this meanIit gets a random modifier?
  • trelane87trelane87 Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I upgraded a fleet Armor all the way to MKXIV, the traits of the XIV are worse than the XII version, see images below:

XII:

http://i.imgur.com/M5Z9YKI.png

XIV:

http://i.imgur.com/fLZ6yjb.png

The physical, kinetic, and energy damage mods are missing in the description and reflect on my character stats as well.
    edited September 2014
    schmedicke wrote: »
    Just a question. Lets say you upgrade a rep item like Romulan DHC (ACC)x2 to gold, does this meanIit gets a random modifier?

It will keep its existing mods, like [Acc]x2 in your example, and then it will gain additional [mods] when its rarity increases.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
  • martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's a bug, I'll be updating that shortly.

Thank you for this. Also, on the subject of Spiral Wave Disruptors, their DPS seems to be exceptionally high after conversion to Mk 12 compared to similar weapons. Is this intentional or a bug?
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    trelane87 wrote: »
    I upgraded a fleet Armor all the way to MKXIV, the traits of the XIV are worse than the XII version, see images below:

XII:

XIV:

The physical, kinetic, and energy damage mods are missing in the description and reflect on my character stats as well.

The reordering of mods there might be partly to blame, since all mods usually follow a very specific order. Changing that order might have made the underlying code not like it.
    edited September 2014
    The icon for my [Plasma Piercing Beam Rifle Mk XI [CrtH] [Dmg] [DoT3]] changed to the wrong icon when I upgraded it.

https://i.imgur.com/U586z0Y.jpg

p.s. When are these being re-added to the dilithium store or crafting or reputation so that I can buy more of them for my other characters?

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
  • lordtrekkielordtrekkie Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Dominion Polaron weapons from 'Boldy They Rode' cannot currently be upgraded.
  • birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What controls what research tech item can be used ion what upgrade?

Ex: Some of the universal consoles such as the lobi store ones can use any upgrade item from any class but what item do you need to use to get the Counter Command Universal Console to upgrade?

Edit: Aegis set cant be upgraded.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    trelane87 wrote: »

XII:

XIV:

Based on your images, the [Mods] look to have upgraded correctly, but the base Damage Resistance Magnitude provided for your armor type (Recoil Compensating) has been lost in the Mk XIV image.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​