test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Story of a Fed Captain.

borgunimatrix01borgunimatrix01 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Federation Discussion
Hey STO community. I know a lot of us are excited about the upcoming story content for Delta Rising. I know I am. I was thinking about the story so far and decided to create a list of all the missions with important story content for a federation captain from the tutorial all the way from tutorial through surface tension and reputation missions. I have put them into an order that, while not exactly chronological will allow the player to stay focused on the main point of the story arc and not get distracted by some of the "filler" cardassian, klingon war and romulan mystery missions. I will explain my thinking about the order afterwards.

Key to modifiers

Personal [P] Anything that furthers your captain, ie meeting someone important, making an enemy, doing somthing worth noting.
Romulan Borg Research [R/B]Anything to do with the romulans illegal research into Borg technology.
Romulan/Reman [R/R]Anything to do with the romulan republic, the tal shiar and/or the reman resistance
Undine Infiltration [8472] Anything to do with the infiltration/invasion of the undine throughout the alpha quadrant.
BorgAnything to do with the Borg return to the AQ and eventual retreat from it.
Iconian Infuence [!] Major plot points caused/influenced by the iconians

Comprehensive list

Fed tutorial
[P]
Stranded in space [P]
Diplomatic Orders
[8472]
The Second Wave [P]*
Of Bajor
[P]
Operation Gamma [P]
Facility 4028
[P]
Boldly They Rode [P]
The Lost City of Paradise/Blind Men Tell All Tales[P]
The Undying
[P]
A Fistful of Gorn/Installation 18[P][R/R]
The Vault
[P][R/R][R/B]
Mine Enemy [P][R/R]
Ground Zero
[R/R]
Taris [R/R][!]
Frozen
[P][R/R]
Colesium [P][R/R][!]
Cutting the cord[P][R/R][!]
By Any Means [R/B]
S'harian's Swords
[R/B]
Where Angels Fear to Tread [R/B]
Temporal Ambassador-[P]
A Gathering Darkness [P][8472]
Assimilation
[8472]
Fluid Dynamics [P][8472][!]
Into the Hive

New Romulus Reputation Missions[P][!]
Sphere of Influence---[P][!]
Dyson Rep cutscenes [P][!]
A Step Between Stars [P][!][8472]
Surface Tension [P][!][8472]

* The reason i put the 2800 ahead of chronological happening is because you a) meet captain Shon. and b) you do something that could "get you noticed" by starfleet, thus allowing you to be selected for further high profile missions.

Tell me what you think.. If there are any questions/suggestions to add missions etc let me know. I have attempted to create a comprehensive list here. the list in brief is also included here for your convenience.

In Brief
Fed Tutorial [P]
First 2 Klingon war missions[P][8472]
The 2800 [P]
Wasteland[P][R/R]
Romulan mystery eps 8,9,12,14[R/B][R/R][!]
Freedom [P][R/R][R/B][!]
Temporal ambassador [P]
Borg Advance[P][8472][!]
Into the Hive
New Romulus Reputation Missions[P][R/R][!]
Dyson JC rep cutscenes[P][!]
Dyson Sphere Feature eps [P][!][8472]
Post edited by borgunimatrix01 on

Comments

• joshglassjoshglass Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So you've basically created the STO Machete Order. Sweet! I tend to skip a lot of the filler when playing new characters. Wish there was a "Skip to level 10" button somewhere so I could get past all the "Tutorial" I've gone through an obscene number of times.

Kudos, I'll give it a try once I can create my Undine Federation character.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,903 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    joshglass wrote: »
    So you've basically created the STO Machete Order. Sweet! I tend to skip a lot of the filler when playing new characters. Wish there was a "Skip to level 10" button somewhere so I could get past all the "Tutorial" I've gone through an obscene number of times.

Kudos, I'll give it a try once I can create my Undine Federation character.

I think there is.

OP, are any of the "filler" mission ones where you get an interesting/useful toy? you don't have any of the guardian stuff, nor the devedian stuff where you get some nice little weapons
    sig.jpg
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    How about Divide et Impera for your character getting so completely manipulated by Species 8472? It would likely give you a healthy respect for their infiltration abilities if nothing else.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    How about Divide et Impera for your character getting so completely manipulated by Species 8472? It would likely give you a healthy respect for their infiltration abilities if nothing else.

Hardly. All that mission gives you a healthy respect for is how s**tty Cryptic's writing can be on a bad day. The railroading in that mission is sickeningly obvious and it doesn't connect to any mission before or since apart from Captain.Hunter's Foundry spotlight "Divide ut Regnes".
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Hardly. All that mission gives you a healthy respect for is how s**tty Cryptic's writing can be on a bad day. The railroading in that mission is sickeningly obvious and it doesn't connect to any mission before or since apart from Captain.Hunter's Foundry spotlight "Divide ut Regnes".

And even Divide ut Regnes doesn't really fix the problem. The Undine may have telepathic influence on my character, but not me.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • nobadeenobadee Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    starswordc wrote: »

I could not agree more. I absolutely hate many of the missions in this game and that one in particular is by far the most absurd of them all. Nothing like blindly murdering a facility full of people, simply because some person you don't know at all is driving you on a hunch. There are quite a few missions I would love to see either thrown out of the game or completely overhauled. I leveled up a new character recently and I found myself making mental notes on many of the episodes that I completed, on how poorly designed and written they were. In fact, there are some where your BO's will consistently pop up with long dialogues during missions where the tempo is pretty high, meaning you get the feeling that you should be in a hurry; but, your BO's are constantly talking your face off with walls of text. And one of the things that bugs me the most in this game, playing federation side is having to fight waves of NPCs in almost every kind of mission. You could be sent to a farming community to help set up water filters; nope! Gotta kill off wave after wave of NPCs. It's definitely not Star Trek, it's Star Wars.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,903 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    nobadee wrote: »
    I could not agree more. I absolutely hate many of the missions in this game and that one in particular is by far the most absurd of them all. Nothing like blindly murdering a facility full of people, simply because some person you don't know at all is driving you on a hunch. There are quite a few missions I would love to see either thrown out of the game or completely overhauled. I leveled up a new character recently and I found myself making mental notes on many of the episodes that I completed, on how poorly designed and written they were. In fact, there are some where your BO's will consistently pop up with long dialogues during missions where the tempo is pretty high, meaning you get the feeling that you should be in a hurry; but, your BO's are constantly talking your face off with walls of text. And one of the things that bugs me the most in this game, playing federation side is having to fight waves of NPCs in almost every kind of mission. You could be sent to a farming community to help set up water filters; nope! Gotta kill off wave after wave of NPCs. It's definitely not Star Trek, it's Star Wars.

I agree. if DS9 were part of STO, Sisko would have been gunning down cardassians instead of helping clean up the promenade in the first episode, and he would have vaporized Rom to coerce Quark into staying
    sig.jpg
  • charon2charon2 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i've got a funny story of a fed captain. i was leveling up/RPing a Pakled Tac captian, and while doing so figured a solution to diplomatic orders. i just canceled the mission after retrieving the Vulcan, but before beaming him down. i figure he is still in my brig, and will remain there untill my character decides star fleet is secure enough to turn him in.

there is no such thing as a no win scenario.