test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Trigger an action on the second object?

uliwitnessuliwitness Member Posts: 62 Arc User
Hi,

I want the user to search for something. To do that, I'd like to have the user interact with two objects, and no matter which one they hit first, that gets one message, then when they hit the second one, they get the "winning" message.

I've been able to place invisible objects on the map, so I have:

Computer 1 Not Here
Computer 2 Not Here

which show the first message and get shown first. Then, when Computer 1 Not Here has been interacted with, I show Computer 2 Win, when Computer 2 Not Here has been interacted with, I show Computer 1 Win.

Kind of like "the princess is in the other castle".

Problem with this is, how do I define an objective that says "Interact one of these 2 objects, I don't care which"? It seems adding 2 objects to an "Interact With" says "interact twice with an object from this group", so I can interact twice with 1, or once with each. Also, I *have* to interact twice.

Worse, when I hide Computer 2 Not Here, the player can't win anymore because they can't interact with it anymore. Is there another trick that might help? Can I mark another object as completed somehow, when I hide it, maybe?
Cheers,
-- Uli
Post edited by uliwitness on

Comments

• Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm not sure that I fully understand what you're doing, but see if this helps.

create invisible objects 1 and 2
    Don't put anything related to them in your story board
    Set each one to disappear when the other one is interacted with using component complete.
    Then you can set new invis objects to appear based on either objects 1 or 2 being completed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »

Set each one to disappear when the other one is interacted with using component complete.
    Then you can set new invis objects to appear based on either objects 1 or 2 being completed.

Hey KS - just sent you a friend's's request... I am not into hijacking other ppls threads but I have a foundry quesiton and you are the resident guru... but it seems I can't PM you wityhout being friends.. weird.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

That's pretty much what I'm doing, but how do I make the player win once one of the second objects is completed? And how does the user know to do this if it isn't in the story ? How do I make this show up in the objectives?

So my problem is the last step. *either* objects 1 *or* 2 being completed. How do I trigger a *single* thing off such an either/or situation? Is there some way to achieve this using dialog? It seems you can only show/hide buttons in dialogs based on actual objectives, so that doesn't seem to be the solution. The Foundry doesn't seem to have a single "either of two actions become one"-triggers anywhere.
    Cheers,
    -- Uli
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    uliwitness wrote: »
    That's pretty much what I'm doing, but how do I make the player win once one of the second objects is completed? And how does the user know to do this if it isn't in the story ? How do I make this show up in the objectives?

So my problem is the last step. *either* objects 1 *or* 2 being completed. How do I trigger a *single* thing off such an either/or situation? Is there some way to achieve this using dialog? It seems you can only show/hide buttons in dialogs based on actual objectives, so that doesn't seem to be the solution. The Foundry doesn't seem to have a single "either of two actions become one"-triggers anywhere.

Each of your question requires a detailed answer. Please visit us in the starbaseugc chat room. Authors can walk you through what is and is not possible here. Basically, when something isn't part of the storyboard, you have to use other clues.

Ex: The next goal of the storyboard can be to reach a marker, but you can disguise that objective as "Keep searching for clues." With a combination of obvious flashing console (due to triggers set to disappear) and popup bubbles directly put on a map, you can make players do all kinds of optional tasks outside of the storyboard. They won't know it's all optional and disguised.

I hope somebody else has more than a moment to answer the other questions here.

Mostly, no on the either/or things, if I understand what you're doing. You might be able to do something complex with a default dialogue of a console instead, where the button options change depending on triggers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Basically, when something isn't part of the storyboard, you have to use other clues.

Ex: The next goal of the storyboard can be to reach a marker, but you can disguise that objective as "Keep searching for clues." With a combination of obvious flashing console (due to triggers set to disappear) and popup bubbles directly put on a map, you can make players do all kinds of optional tasks outside of the storyboard. They won't know it's all optional and disguised.

Yeah, that's kinda what I ended up doing now. Getting the info needed to complete the mission is optional, but I made sure that if you don't do it, there's a way to see the info again. It's not optimal, but at least the game can't end up in an unwinnable state and feels a bit more interesting than "I already found the right result, why do they want me to search these other consoles, too?"
    Mostly, no on the either/or things, if I understand what you're doing. You might be able to do something complex with a default dialogue of a console instead, where the button options change depending on triggers.

That's part of my approach, though sadly I haven't found a good way of hiding the "wrong" answer, I can only show the right answer so far. But maybe the "reached" triggers are the last part of the puzzle that I was missing.

Well, anyway, here's what I have now, which is close enough that I can do the rest of the game:

A conversation with an NPC tells you that the enemies were looking for records and searched all but 2 consoles. These two consoles now become interactable (using two "Interact with Object" objectives dragged next to each other to get an "Complete All" block).

Each IwO objective is followed by pop-up dialog that gives two answers. Each has a different "wrong" one and the correct one. The correct one is shown when the IwO for the other console is already complete.

Both pop-up dialogs always end in success, no matter which answer you choose. Since the pop-up dialog will never show again if you picked the wrong answer, I have invisible objects under each console that get shown when the IwO objectives are complete. These contain a copy of the winning dialog choice.

So ideally, the player goes to console 1, only gets the wrong answer, goes to console 2 gets a wrong and correct one, reads the correct one and uses the info to finish the game. If they pick the wrong answer, they'll remember that there was a second button, interact with the console again (really the invisible object) and get the correct answer now.

Worst case, they go to the other console, which suddenly shows an option that wasn't there and think what an idiot the author is to make such an impossible riddle.

My main issue with this approach is that the invisible object doesn't glow so it looks interactable.
    Cheers,
    -- Uli
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    uliwitness wrote: »
    My main issue with this approach is that the invisible object doesn't glow so it looks interactable.

Workaround: I put a second copy of the same object in the exact same location instead of an invisible object. Now you can't tell which of the two is highlighted.
    Cheers,
    -- Uli