test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online - Star Trek IP?

Comments

• jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well how about 'I love JJ Trek'? or 'Star Wars is better than Star Trek'? Or 'Kirk sucks' just to add fuel to the fire? lol

:eek: BBBBBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNN
  • toofdkaytoofdkay Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Its not like there is no talent out there, it is just PWE/Cryptic don't employ them.
    They focus far too much on office politics, I digress.

A cursory search of the internet nets you hundreds of ST ship designs made by fans and just plain old model designers, that have more ST in them than anything these lot will come up with and they are originals no copyright infringement.

So it just goes to show how much they actually think about these things, yeah they have a great design/art department, its a shame they only like to stroke their own ego's, if they did some research and even paid for the rights to some of those models then I think they would have a happier customer base. But as we know they don't give a care to any of us regardless of the lip service as they always slip up and tell us their true feelings about us, we know they don't listen yet we still talk, funny that !
  • thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    toofdkay wrote: »
    Its not like there is no talent out there, it is just PWE/Cryptic don't employ them.
    They focus far too much on office politics, I digress.

A cursory search of the internet nets you hundreds of ST ship designs made by fans and just plain old model designers, that have more ST in them than anything these lot will come up with and they are originals no copyright infringement.

So it just goes to show how much they actually think about these things, yeah they have a great design/art department, its a shame they only like to stroke their own ego's, if they did some research and even paid for the rights to some of those models then I think they would have a happier customer base. But as we know they don't give a care to any of us regardless of the lip service as they always slip up and tell us their true feelings about us, we know they don't listen yet we still talk, funny that !

A lot of those fan ships are hideous and/or boring. Just because you like it doesn't mean the forums won't have rage posts about a ship. You(and others in this thread) need to get over yourselves and you opinions on what ST rly is/isn't. CBS obviously endorses Cryptic designs, therefore they ARE Trek now. That can't be debated.
  • toofdkaytoofdkay Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    thegcbacon wrote: »
    You(and others in this thread) need to get over yourselves and you opinions on what ST rly is/isn't.

That includes you then I assume or are you special ?
  • who25256who25256 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I don't care for the non-canon ships, but them saying that they aren't/can't include anymore canon ships doesn't concern me at the moment. They've said how hard it is to get these ships in game and the expense is enormous, especally dealing with multiple owners of some IP ships. I'm sure they will release T6 versions of the T5 ship in time, or they will add their "artistic" touch to some of the current canon ships that can be reskin to thier t5 counterparts. Look at the Guardian, that screams Galaxy/Ambassador.

I'm sure it will be months after DR's release, but I'm hoping my faith in them not trashing canon designs, and the profit that they would receive by making T6 versions or reskins of future ships will be realized.

With the hodge podge they aready have in game how much worse could it get. IDIC :D I tend not to worry about what others are flying, all those people flying weird a** s*** don't exsist in my RP/story missions anyhow. Try to enjoy yourself and let others do the same.

Also, for us old timers and lovers of TOS, T6 Connie-refit!! :P
  • cabezadetortugacabezadetortuga Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Erm, no it is not, it is not nice looking at all, but that is all down to taste.

I pay for a star trek game, and would prefer to have classic Star Trek ships, right up to the highest level.

Thats just me. If you're different, that's OK too.

You might as well be asking for World War I-era biplanes to be sent up against modern Eurofighter Typhoons.

It doesn't make sense.
  • thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    toofdkay wrote: »
    That includes you then I assume or are you special ?

You rly should include the whole quote, but then it wouldn't suit your reply.
  • edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This is like showing up at General Motors headquarters and crying that your "Classic" 1974 Corvette C3 should be just as fast and powerful as a modern C7 Stingray "Because it's iconic".

Actually, according to the in-game SCE design theory, it's less like asking GM to make a C3 that functions like a C7, and much more like asking for a C7 that looks like a C3.

From the in-game NX-class:
    After Starfleet starships were converted to a modular design, a group from the Starfleet Corps of Engineers working at Utopia Planitia wondered if vessels from the Federation's past could be constructed in this manner. Working with Federation historian Geoffrey Pacelli, the SCE officers chose the famed NX Class for reconstruction. The NX Class Starship Replica sports the classic look of Earth's starships from the 22nd century, but has been updated with modern technology to meet current Starfleet specifications for Lieutenant-rank missions.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I haven't read the whole thread, I'm only here to answer the OP: I feel the same. Star Trek Online to me is supposed to show Star Trek ships. I don't care what timeline they chose - Cryptic screwed up when they didn't have had the balls to limit the game to a specific era. Instead, they included everything ever shown on screen in a theme-park-MMO because they needed the fans to pay for the game. Since the game has no consistency and no credibility becuse of that, I continue to play it *because of* Star Trek canon designs. When they decide to not include any more canon designs (and there are a lot still missing) or continue to "reimagine" everything from ships to the setting to the weapons because they feel the need Star Trek fans are milked dry, we need to appeal to "kids these days" the game will not be interesting to me anymore, simple as that.

STO is, in my opinion, unfortunately not a good game. It's decent enough for a casual lunch.break MMO it is, it could even be a good game if certain decisions would have been made different in the past, but it wouldn't hold me a single day without the Star Trek paint job.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,268 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The fact that you think that it's perfectly legal to steal other peoples intellectual property shows your arguments have no merit.

Just because something is posted on the internet does not mean the IP holder is relinquishing claim to its copyright/trademark ownership.

I think perhaps he meant that certain star trek fans may be willing to give away thier designs, If I was any good at such designs, it would certainly bring me alot of pleasure to think they was being used in the star trek franchise.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think perhaps he meant that certain star trek fans may be willing to give away thier designs, If I was any good at such designs, it would certainly bring me alot of pleasure to think they was being used in the star trek franchise.
    Part of the issue here is that Cryptic needs to make certain you did not steal the design. There are thousands of Star Trek ships on the internet. It would be extremely difficult to police them all to make certain your submitted ship was not taken from someone else's designs - accidentally or intentionally.

So you could sign a waiver giving them the rights to use your design for free, and then Cryptic could turn around and be sued by someone else who you might have stolen the design from - and again, it could be entirely accidental in that you saw the design years ago and then forgot you ever saw it. But either way Cryptic and you are now being sued.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Part of the issue here is that Cryptic needs to make certain you did not steal the design. There are thousands of Star Trek ships on the internet. It would be extremely difficult to police them all to make certain your submitted ship was not taken from someone else's designs - accidentally or intentionally.

So you could sign a waiver giving them the rights to use your design for free, and then Cryptic could turn around and be sued by someone else who you might have stolen the design from - and again, it could be entirely accidental in that you saw the design years ago and then forgot you ever saw it. But either way Cryptic and you are now being sued.

I think there is a dev post about why they don't accept free fan built ships.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,268 Arc User
    edited September 2014

That is a good point, but as I understand it (and I may well be wrong) doesnt the current I.P holder own everything that is created that is star trek related?

For instance if i created a ship and called it a star trek ship, could CBS not just say "that is ours now, as we own all rights to Star Trek?

I'm probably naive on the matter.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I haven't read the whole thread, I'm only here to answer the OP: I feel the same. Star Trek Online to me is supposed to show Star Trek ships. I don't care what timeline they chose - Cryptic screwed up when they didn't have had the balls to limit the game to a specific era. Instead, they included everything ever shown on screen in a theme-park-MMO because they needed the fans to pay for the game. Since the game has no consistency and no credibility becuse of that, I continue to play it *because of* Star Trek canon designs. When they decide to not include any more canon designs (and there are a lot still missing) or continue to "reimagine" everything from ships to the setting to the weapons because they feel the need Star Trek fans are milked dry, we need to appeal to "kids these days" the game will not be interesting to me anymore, simple as that.

STO is, in my opinion, unfortunately not a good game. It's decent enough for a casual lunch.break MMO it is, it could even be a good game if certain decisions would have been made different in the past, but it wouldn't hold me a single day without the Star Trek paint job.

I kinda feel the opposite.
    Lets be honest, Star Trek was always about the ships with lore taking the back seat. My biggest problem with STO is the lore, but now that they've gone off the rez and are creating their own lore they should populate their new 'verse with their own ship designs. STO may actually be better off if they abandon the charade of being a Star Trek themed MMO and call the game what it is- a Space MMO with some Star Trek in it. They won't need to worry about balance, or history, or any of the other nonsense that strangles the devs creativity.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
    edited September 2014
    That is a good point, but as I understand it (and I may well be wrong) doesnt the current I.P holder own everything that is created that is star trek related?

For instance if i created a ship and called it a star trek ship, could CBS not just say "that is ours now, as we own all rights to Star Trek?

I'm probably naive on the matter.
    No, it does not work that way. CBS can ask you to remove any references to Star Trek or Starfleet if they wish, but they do not own your ship simply because you called it a Star Trek ship. The annual Ships of the Line Calendar is a perfect example of that. The artists get a license to produce the Calendar and use the Star Trek name but CBS does not own the ships pictured within. The artists who created those ships own them.

It is like the Vesta Class in the game. Cryptic had to get a license from Mark to use that ship, even though CBS uses it in their novels. CBS pays Mark for the rights to use the visuals on the covers and Cryptic pays Mark to use it in the game.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The fact that you think that it's perfectly legal to steal other peoples intellectual property shows your arguments have no merit.

Just because something is posted on the internet does not mean the IP holder is relinquishing claim to its copyright/trademark ownership.

I could be wrong, but I think you completely misunderstood his post. I based on what he was replying to, I don't think he was saying cryptic should take those designs. He was saying that if those people are creative enough to come up with so many different original (and thus not copy written by anyone yet) designs, then cryptic ought darn well be able to make that many designs that also look like they fit in the TV shows, and as these would be original cryptic designs there would not be any copyright issues with them.

At least, that's how I read his post. Even if it wasn't his intent, it is a good point =)
  • haldan1968haldan1968 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If they want to go this route, then perhaps we can have a significantly improved level of customization for our ships?
  • originalshakkaroriginalshakkar Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What I've always been confused about is that people seem to think that Starfleet couldn't or wouldn't make a ship that looks like one from earlier but has the capabilities of a new ship. Is there some reason why a ship can no longer have a round saucer; something inherent in that design that means you can't make a ship with with new bridge seating?

The fact is, many of us love the old designs from the shows. We associate Star Trek with ships that were on air or film. When we bought them, we bought retrofits that made canon ships that had tier 5 capabilities instead of tier 4 or 3 or whatever. I think a lot of people are upset that they will fall behind if they want to use the ships they paid for as top of the line.

I'm not saying don't make new ships. But the old ones should be upgradeable. Fully upgradeable. And unless Cryptic has forgotten how to make money, I'd be surprised if we don't see retro-retrofits of the canon ships, or at least ships that look a lot like those designs. I have to admit right now I'm not a fan of the new tier 6 fed ships. I see no reason why we can't have more traditional cosmetics on new ships. At least on some of them.

Maybe they're right and it will prove that there is no content that can't be done well with a t5-U ship and it will prove to be a non-issue. I don't believe that is true though.

To reinforce my title, my main point is that there is no reason why a ship has to have sharp edges vs. smooth lines for any tier of ship of any capability. The outsides don't have that much to do with the insides after all. Make the ship as big or small as you need to, but give people good options in cosmetics to choose from. I like round saucers and nacelles in a V shape at the level of the saucer section. I love the Ambassador design for example. Why is it I have to switch to something more shark like just to get tier 6? Just let me have a ship that looks like the way I see star trek. Let others who want sharper lines to have that. Everyone wins.
    I used to be Shakkar with thousands of posts. My very identity was stolen from me so now I am originalshakkar, the original.
    edited September 2014
    I could be wrong, but I think you completely misunderstood his post. I based on what he was replying to, I don't think he was saying cryptic should take those designs. He was saying that if those people are creative enough to come up with so many different original (and thus not copy written by anyone yet) designs, then cryptic ought darn well be able to make that many designs that also look like they fit in the TV shows, and as these would be original cryptic designs there would not be any copyright issues with them.

At least, that's how I read his post. Even if it wasn't his intent, it is a good point =)

They have made ships that look like they fit with what the general design is...it's just that the T6 in tell ships are purposefully not following the design...and the T6 Intell ships are not the new design for Star Fleet any more than the Dyson ships were...they've already said that classic designs are coming for T6
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    edited September 2014
    The fact is, many of us love the old designs from the shows. We associate Star Trek with ships that were on air or film. When we bought them, we bought retrofits that made canon ships that had tier 5 capabilities instead of tier 4 or 3 or whatever. I think a lot of people are upset that they will fall behind if they want to use the ships they paid for as top of the line.
    Fall behind in what? Pve? As has been stated numerous times, by the FAQ, by videos from Tribble, and from people like me who have playtested the Content, you can easily do it in existing ships. You do not need a T5.F Fleet ship to do this Content, let alone a T5U or T6.

The Content in this entire game is balanced for the lowest common denominator. It is designed to be played by a guy in a T5 ship who does 1,000 DPS. This person puts all their weapons on Autofire and then hits the Spacebar when within 10k of their foe. They then fly in a circle around their target, occasionally moving some Shield energy to their exposed side until the target is destroyed.

You and I could spend $50.00 for the exact same Ship Pack yet when we go to play them you are doing 2,000 DPS while I am doing 10,000 DPS - the entire difference based on how we have geared the ships and our individual knowledge of the game. There is no universal standard for anyone to fall behind on, because even equal value things can be inferior to each other.

T5U and T6 are fluff purchases. They are specifically designed to target the psychological need in people to want the best even when you do not need to be the best to achieve your goals. You can Upgrade your existing T5 Galaxy, or whatever, and feel perfectly content in this game that nothing has really changed for you; as long as you can overcome your psychological need to think you need to be the best.
    edited September 2014
    Fall behind in what? Pve? As has been stated numerous times, by the FAQ, by videos from Tribble, and from people like me who have playtested the Content, you can easily do it in existing ships. You do not need a T5.F Fleet ship to do this Content, let alone a T5U or T6.

The Content in this entire game is balanced for the lowest common denominator. It is designed to be played by a guy in a T5 ship who does 1,000 DPS. This person puts all their weapons on Autofire and then hits the Spacebar when within 10k of their foe. They then fly in a circle around their target, occasionally moving some Shield energy to their exposed side until the target is destroyed.

You and I could spend $50.00 for the exact same Ship Pack yet when we go to play them you are doing 2,000 DPS while I am doing 10,000 DPS - the entire difference based on how we have geared the ships and our individual knowledge of the game. There is no universal standard for anyone to fall behind on, because even equal value things can be inferior to each other.

T5U and T6 are fluff purchases. They are specifically designed to target the psychological need in people to want the best even when you do not need to be the best to achieve your goals. You can Upgrade your existing T5 Galaxy, or whatever, and feel perfectly content in this game that nothing has really changed for you; as long as you can overcome your psychological need to think you need to be the best.

I am sensing this post will be ignored in favor of people ranting and raving about made up things.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • leighandrew12leighandrew12 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    By the power given to me by Q I hereby rename this thread 'Doom thread 526,200'
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Exposing fakes since 2374
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,974 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I am sensing this post will be ignored in favor of people ranting and raving about made up things.

Unfortunately, you're probably right.
    thecosmic1 is a forum sage... yet people prefer to wear tinfoil hats and go bananas when things change.

So what? Things change. That's the nature of MMOs. WoW changed several times with their expansions: adding the abilty to fly in Azeroth (Previously only doable in Northrend and Outland), blasting regions of the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor when Deathwing came back, adding Pandaria to the map, adding Northrend to the map back in Wrath of the Lich King... now they're adding an uncorrupted alternate Draenor.

Things change. And with it, comes new things. Maybe they're afraid of change and thus must rip it a new one.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • leighandrew12leighandrew12 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Star Trek Online is one of the best MMO's in my opinion. Even better than TOR, which feels like an even greater grind than this game. They spent all this money of trying to turn it into a Star War Mass Effect/WoW clone and in the end it was just an anverage game. Star Trek online is so easy to get into and really easy to progress and yet it is largly ignored by most and is really underated. The community for this game is aboslutly outstanding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Exposing fakes since 2374
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,974 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    We stand by our game. Me... I'll try to be here until they turn off the lights.

STO does deserve more credit than it gets. Star Wars and WoW get all the attention because they are apparently the poster children for MMOs. STO... should probably get that for the F2P side of MMOs.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014

So very very true.

What gives me hope is that I have seen quite a few star gazers flying around. I really hope cryptic made money off that work and that it inspires more. Its not about power or being the best, that one is a purchase purely for having fun.
    edited September 2014
    If that is what he meant then it is indeed a good point, however you know as well as I do that no matter what original designs Cryptic makes (with CBS's approval) they are still going to get the same outrage they are getting now. There will ALWAYS be loudmouths complaining that the newest ships are ugly and don't look Trek.

which sounds exactly what they were saying about the EntD when it first appeared.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Dont really know what you mean.

You may as well ask me what TV shows and movies are set in the Babylon 5 era, or Battlestar Galaxtica era.

Are you saying all future designs should be left up to a random artist who works for a company who has no say or direction of the given franchise?

Please clarify.

It means that's the only option they have, because the only canon ship remaining is the Enterprise J and we're still a couple hundred years away from that.
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Then There's outside fans like me who came in because of STO, I was never a fan of the IP ship designs, but than again my first exposure was Enterprise-D. Now that being said, I do appreciate and love the IP designs now, even the Galaxy Class. But The Galaxy Class is still my least favorite design, but that doesn't mean I want it banned from the game.

Also it feels nice to embrace your closet trekkie :D
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.