test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A way to bring back Exploration

daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
What if....we have a new tagging system added to foundry missions, where you tag what cluster you want the mission to be in.

then when someone goes into these expanses they get cool new randomized (except when you already did one, choice to exempt when finished with it first time) missions from the foundry.

this way if and when the DQ gets expanses we can have tailored missions towards the region and have fresh new content.

tags would include.

Region

Expanse

Type (explore, patrol, scientific, puzzle...etc)

and whatever else would make sense.

I don't know, I had a feeling it'd be a nice idea.

EDIT: Keep in mind, the missions are given to you through the clusters. tags don't mean a way for you to find missions. Tags are for the system to sort through.
Post edited by daedalus304 on

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Exploration requires a mixture of random Foundry missions, procedurally generated content, and developer created missions. If I have to pick a mission through the Foundry system, then it is not Exploration.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Exploration requires a mixture of random Foundry missions, procedurally generated content, and developer created missions. If I have to pick a mission through the Foundry system, then it is not Exploration.

I never said pick one....

you go into the cluster, and it gives you a randomized mission based on the tags.

the creators tag them, and they are sorted to what ever area, cluster and type the cluster is in.
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What if....we have a new tagging system added to foundry missions, where you tag what cluster you want the mission to be in.

then when someone goes into these expanses they get cool new randomized (except when you already did one, choice to exempt when finished with it first time) missions from the foundry.

this way if and when the DQ gets expanses we can have tailored missions towards the region and have fresh new content.

tags would include.

Region

Expanse

Type (explore, patrol, scientific, puzzle...etc)

and whatever else would make sense.

I don't know, I had a feeling it'd be a nice idea.

That would have been a nice addition to the clusters (one of many nice possible additions to the clusters). Shame they took them away.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    capnmanx wrote: »
    That would have been a nice addition to the clusters (one of many nice possible additions to the clusters). Shame they took them away.

I'm hoping this would pursuade them to put them back in.
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i just found this topic, didnt realized i ask for same thing, to bring back Expanse Cluster for explorations.
    posted several ideas and saw other older topic that was posted back in last june.

all that i am asking for is all new expanse zone, all random zones.

i also missed and want to do more explorings, now those devs decided to "bait and switch" tactic, and then this isnt no longer known as "Space, the final frontier, that no one has boldly gone before", now it all about grinding for dils or rep marks.
    seem they are pulling back and cut more corners.

it was a biggest attraction and learning isnt hard once you figure out when you get lost.
    now it just doing reversing market ploy, it all about money and that push some players away and many are facing economy crisis, and players had to give up, and some are getting angry at managament team for getting too greedy and seem to catering those who has more spending cash to get better edge than those who cant afford.

they dont care for explorations, and they all just want the next best shiny stuffs.
  • Options
    mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yup, this has been suggested before and I am 100% for it.

Either this or make them PVP zones.

Seems like a waste of code to just remove them from the game.
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There was supposed to be a big Foundry revamp earlier this year, let's hope it has been only knocked back to season 10 and this forms part of it.
  • Options
    leighandrew12leighandrew12 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Captain Geko I believe has alrealy mentioned this on something like Priority One if I recall. But whether or not something like this will ever happen or if it does then when no one knows for sure
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Exposing fakes since 2374
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Having the Exploration system completely player driven is the wrong way to do it. It is Cryptic's game so they must develop content for it. That is why the Foundry system should only be a portion of the Exploration system.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    the problem with exploration in sto is its never really exploration for very long.
    so say you play 50 missions and they are all allowed to go in the one cluster but 50 is the maximum allowed so next time you go to that cluster you get 3 random missions from that cluster.
    ok, sounds like a good idea on the surface but its not true exploration is it because you can never go there without replaying missions you have already played so that's not really true exploration for you, it might be ok for someone who has never played any of the missions but even that person after he/she has been going there for some time is likely to get missions that have been played before and this can soon become tedious for the player.
    that was the big problem with the cluster missions in the first place they were ok to start with but too soon became boring doing missions you have done before.

there are also quite a few missions in the foundry where it clearly states as if it wasn't plain to see that the mission takes place on earth or Qo`nos it would be just silly to encounter one of these missions in a cluster.

the other problem is supposing you go to a cluster and encounter a mission that you just hate for some reason, you might be frightened to go there again for fear of encountering that loathsome mission again and having to replay the thing.

no exploration is a nice concept but it never really works very well in sto, the best we can hope for as a player for true exploration is to have a compete list of all the systems and missions in sto and tick off the list each system you have visited and mission you have played till you have ticked them all, try to collect every accolade that it is possible to get and do every rep there is to reap, do every pve and pvp and every encounter, just basically every single thing there is to do in sto.
    only when you have played every single thing that sto has to offer can you ever say you have truly explored the whole game, now I don't know about you but I have been playing sto for 3 years and there is still lots of stuff I need to tick off my list.
    and the list is getting longer every time they update the game.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's been suggested before, numerous times. I have suggested it myself several times in the last year. However, it won't make or save cryptic any money so they won't touch it.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    the problem with exploration in sto is its never really exploration for very long.
    so say you play 50 missions and they are all allowed to go in the one cluster but 50 is the maximum allowed so next time you go to that cluster you get 3 random missions from that cluster.
    ok, sounds like a good idea on the surface but its not true exploration is it because you can never go there without replaying missions you have already played so that's not really true exploration for you, it might be ok for someone who has never played any of the missions but even that person after he/she has been going there for some time is likely to get missions that have been played before and this can soon become tedious for the player.
    that was the big problem with the cluster missions in the first place they were ok to start with but too soon became boring doing missions you have done before.

there are also quite a few missions in the foundry where it clearly states as if it wasn't plain to see that the mission takes place on earth or Qo`nos it would be just silly to encounter one of these missions in a cluster.

the other problem is supposing you go to a cluster and encounter a mission that you just hate for some reason, you might be frightened to go there again for fear of encountering that loathsome mission again and having to replay the thing.

no exploration is a nice concept but it never really works very well in sto, the best we can hope for as a player for true exploration is to have a compete list of all the systems and missions in sto and tick off the list each system you have visited and mission you have played till you have ticked them all, try to collect every accolade that it is possible to get and do every rep there is to reap, do every pve and pvp and every encounter, just basically every single thing there is to do in sto.
    only when you have played every single thing that sto has to offer can you ever say you have truly explored the whole game, now I don't know about you but I have been playing sto for 3 years and there is still lots of stuff I need to tick off my list.
    and the list is getting longer every time they update the game.

First, I specified the Tags for the region itself, the missions are made FOR the expanse it's tagged to. in other words you don't get just a heap of randomized missions, you get missions tailored to the region you're exploring.

second you can opt out for redoing said mission by checking a box at the end, I thought I put that in the op.