test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Turning DOFF missions into foundry missions

isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
Just wondering if anyone had done that before? Like the Caitian Scientist thread, Ghosts of the Jem'Hadar, Project Chrysalis or the 4028 Fugitives? Sometimes when I'l running the doff assignments I just think - even for basic ones - now I wish I could actually play that. Maybe that would be a fun thing for the next foundry challenge.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I want an "execute for incompetence" mission with tovan khev!
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Interesting Idea, Might be worth investing some time into it
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I may have to do doff missions based on the cat doff chain after I finish my main stuff...

Maybe..
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You're in luck, Isthisscience - Onlyslightlybent did several of them. I haven't played any of them myself yet, but they've had good reviews on the forum. There was definitely "Holodeck Performance of Hamlet" and "Rescue Butterfly from Death by Trampling"; there may have been more, but I can't seem to get into the game to check right now.

Lincolninspace's "A Time to Search" is also sort of based on a DOff mission, apparently, in that it's a mission to rescue officers who went on a mining project and never came back. Haven't played that one either!
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    One of my as-yet-undeveloped mission concepts is a KDF standalone based on "Compete In Unsanctioned Combat Arena". The premise would be that your DOff never returned from the mission but was never reported dead, either, so you go to investigate and, naturally, end up having to compete in the arena yourself.

Alas, I presently have too much on my plate to make "Unsanctioned" any time soon, so if anyone else wants to pick up that concept and run with it, be my guest...
  • Options
    rogueeenterpriserogueeenterprise Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I want to see this done as a coordinated effort. A lot.
  • Options
    rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This is an idea I've brought up before in the forums and I think it's a great idea. There are a ton of story ideas just waiting to be told. And the beauty is even using the same doff missions different authors would tell different stories.

The first time I thought about it after a DOFF mission of mine ended in disaster and sent several crewman to the sick bay for a few days. The thing was it was a science mission, something like analyze an alien database. I thought, how in the hell can you end up in sick bay for several days after analyzing a DB? Maybe I should tell that story.
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would love to create "Investigate Rumors of Klingon Intelligence " and let it end in Critical Disaster :D.

"I'm sorry to say we were unable to find any kind of intelligence"
  • Options
    vendahravendahra Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I am working on a sequel to a DOff mission myself. There is a cluster DOff mission Establish Listening post in..... My DOff mission is The Rolor Nebula Incident, where the True Way discovers your listening post and kidnaps your crew, and threatens to execute them. Starfleet sends you in to get your people before the deadline.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    I would love to create "Investigate Rumors of Klingon Intelligence " and let it end in Critical Disaster :D.

"I'm sorry to say we were unable to find any kind of intelligence"

Didn't you know? "Military intelligence" is always a contradiction in terms.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'll have to check out the suggested ones. If anyone sees a doff mission that really needs making into a foundry mission, post it up and after my current project I think I may take a bash at it.

I have to say, a lot of the Klingon ones look interesting to do.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Might be fun to find out what kind of terraforming units the Romulans are building with chroniton torpedo plans...
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I want to see this done as a coordinated effort. A lot.
    Agreed.

Fellow STO Foundry authors, please consider tagging mission titles (based of DOff mission concepts) as:

DOff mission: (mission name)

That key naming convention might help players to find those missions. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Good idea.
    Duty Officer Assignment: might be better though, simply because that's what Onlyslightlybent already put in the titles of his/her two. Unless Onlyslightlybent's around at the moment and willing to change those two.

I've sometimes thought that a simple "Entertain Foreign Dignitaries" would be a good starting point. The dignitaries could be whoever/whatever you like, well-known Star Trek races with baggage or some unknown aliens you made up yourself; you could send any combination of interesting DOffs you like - a Gorn, the Orion Hologram (you DO need an Entertainer for that and she's an Entertainer...), the Breen chap, Dr. Sibak... and it could go wrong in any number of ways, from serious to slapstick - cultural misunderstandings, accidental poisoning, non-accidental poisoning, really badly timed outbreak of space-madness... Infinite TRIBBLE-ups in infinite combinations :D
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tucana66 wrote: »
    Agreed.

Fellow STO Foundry authors, please consider tagging mission titles (based of DOff mission concepts) as:

DOff mission: (mission name)

That key naming convention might help players to find those missions. :)

Unfortunately the character limit on mission titles (32 chars, IIRC) is way too short to support titles named directly after most DOff assignments.

For the same reason, to conserve characters maybe the tag should just be [DOff], in the same vein as the [Rom] tag used by some authors to identify missions designed for Romulan Republic toons (e.g. my getting-close-to-completion [Rom] Valley of the Shadow III).
  • Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    onlyslightlybent has two missions labelled "Duty Officer Report" ors omething like that based off doff missions, they're really good!

EDIT: Oh i see someone already posted about them
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    realmalizerealmalize Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The KDF spotlight "Grapok in the General's Lung" is, if you catch the hints, half of the plot revolves around the fallout from a "Host Black Market Contacts" DOFF spectacular-critical failure.
    foundry_banner1.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hunh, I've played that one and was wondering about it. cool.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    focslainfocslain Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I was thinking of doing a piracy mission for KDF. Bit of a longer version of the freighter disable mission in Pi Canis where you have to board the ship. But was wondering if the following was possible:

1) Adding resource nodes for R&D material and loot boxes for commodities in foundry missions.

2) A way to randomize the mobs that spawn in a given mission. (ie one play through it's Feds, another its romulan etc)

3) Possible to have a multi-path to the end of a mission. (exp. either destroy a mob or get to a warp out point)

Might be able to make a salvage mission for Fed, like what the Voyager crew sometimes had to do. And with DR and the large amount of races there having a random mob would add varity.
  • Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    1) no

2) no

3) shor tanswer yes. Long answer you'll need the final objective to be blocked until the player "destroys a mob" or "gets to a warp out point". These will be fake objectives built using map triggers and not the objective storyboard.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    focslainfocslain Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    zorbane wrote: »
    1) no

2) no

3) shor tanswer yes. Long answer you'll need the final objective to be blocked until the player "destroys a mob" or "gets to a warp out point". These will be fake objectives built using map triggers and not the objective storyboard.

Well crude, understood that the first one can be an exploit, but just wanted to have a little fun in gathering. Found the 'Exploration' mission describe, might hit those up.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    One of Kirkfat's YouTube tutorials demonstrates exactly how to do the branching-objective thing that Zorbane describes. Search for "Fun with Triggers, part 5". That one basic principle can be used for all kinds of things, and made quite subtle. Some of the other "Fun with Triggers" clips have useful ideas for that, though, too.

Whatever you do, it's not possible to make the choice carry over into another map - it'll only affect that one map. Clever writing can sometimes make it LOOK as though it does have an effect, though; for instance the player could lay a trap, with various options for how to do it, and then a map or two later, they come back and the opposition have fallen for the trap, and somebody says "good call", and it looks as if they chose the one right way to do it.