test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

WHat's with all the DR missions on Tribble!?

strorusstrorus Member Posts: 328 Arc User
Geko and Salami specifically said no story missions would go onto Tribble to they would not spoil the story and save it for release.

However, they would release all the systems stuff to test.

As an active Forum reader it is hard to avoid comments on the missions on Tribble.

What you doing Cryptic!? :(
Post edited by strorus on

Comments

• hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    strorus wrote: »
    Geko and Salami specifically said no story missions would go onto Tribble to they would not spoil the story and save it for release.

As an active Forum reader it is hard to avoid comments on the missions on Tribble.

Making sure the missions aren't borked before launch? :)
  • strorusstrorus Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    hartzilla wrote: »
    Making sure the missions aren't borked before launch? :)

Yeah, but as I said Geko and Salami specifically said no story content would be on Tribble.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    and those missions are FUN.

And the rewards!

I got a Feline Supplement from the first mission that made my character pretty much invincible.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, but as I said Geko and Salami specifically said no story content would be on Tribble.
    i just looked at the last 20 geko posts and last 10 salami posts, stretching into early oct, and i didn't see them saying that anywhere.
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited September 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    i just looked at the last 20 geko posts and last 10 salami posts, stretching into early oct, and i didn't see them saying that anywhere.

You forgot to check where they said it...

STLV14 Convention - Specifically when they announced Delta Rising for the 1st time: http://priorityonepodcast.com/po184/
    edited September 2014
    You forgot to check where they said it...

STLV14 Convention - Specifically when they announced Delta Rising for the 1st time: http://priorityonepodcast.com/po184/
    you're gonna need to narrow it down much more then that if you think i'm gonna listen to 2.5 hours of talk to hear a 5 second statement to see if it was in context or not. :)
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    They probably didn't plan on it, but challenges arose that required it be tested. If you don't want to know don't go on tribble.
  • mandarsmashmandarsmash Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Is this the first time I've heard a player complain that something gets tested with reasonable lead time to get fixed?

No. But still. Complaining that stuff gets tested? If you don't want to know what happens, just don't read any of the spoilery forum posts.
  • xparr15xparr15 Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Queued events are not story missions. I'm silver so I can't get on tribble but as far as I know, no story missions are on there.
    edited September 2014
    xparr15 wrote: »
    Queued events are not story missions. I'm silver so I can't get on tribble but as far as I know, no story missions are on there.
    i can't get on tribble either but i see a video for the new mindscape mission.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    xparr15 wrote: »

^This ... There is currently no "story" content on Tribble ... so you can calm down now ...

There are individual queued events being tested on Tribble, but they are pretty disjointed and separate, much like Foundry Maps would be (or the current STF's for that matter) There are some new characters and locations but ... They do not yet have voice overs for most of the dialogues, so the "immersion" is lacking (planned that way I think)

My guess would be that they might use Red Shirt (closer to the launch date) to test the actual "links" between these missions, but, maybe they will trust in their code and keep us all waiting until it hits Holodeck.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • darthlokidarthloki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    ^This ... There is currently no "story" content on Tribble ... so you can calm down now ...

There are individual queued events being tested on Tribble, but they are pretty disjointed and separate, much like Foundry Maps would be (or the current STF's for that matter) There are some new characters and locations but ... They do not yet have voice overs for most of the dialogues, so the "immersion" is lacking (planned that way I think)

My guess would be that they might use Red Shirt (closer to the launch date) to test the actual "links" between these missions, but, maybe they will trust in their code and keep us all waiting until it hits Holodeck.

not exactly true on that there is a video of someone doing a delta rising story content on youtube. Here is the video on youtube of a story content mission called mindscape from tribble for delta rising someone did and posted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlo-Td6j4r0
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    bendalek wrote: »

Actually there are three stories in tribble that acts as intro and links to the old storyline; played the cross-over and first story mission already and two more to go.
  • kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    chalpen wrote: »
    and those missions are FUN.

And the rewards!

I got a Feline Supplement from the first mission that made my character pretty much invincible.

Yep got that on my first one too.... and got my first piece of Mk XIII (blue) gear from the second one. Have to say though the specs on the gear I got was still less that what I could get from a comparable piece of Mk XII fleet gear. So I'm not sure this Mk XIII and XIV stuff will be all that game breaking. At best it looks like Mk XIV may be about on par (but still inferior) to Mk XII fleet gear.
  • stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Cooperative Flagship reminds me of a ship from Armada 2...
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The new gear is really high level vendor trash ( the stuff you pick up in or as a reward from missions ), I want to see what new mark XIII an mark XIV fleet/rep gear is gonna be like?. Just hope the upgrade kits from the c-store are not to expensive, my current fleet gear cost me alot of time.
  • kerriknightkerriknight Member Posts: 274
    edited September 2014
    Unless they departed from precedent, then a Rare XIII would be expected to end up below an Ultra-Rare XII (up one level, but down two quality grades).

It would follow that Fleet XII = Purple XIII = Blue XIV at least in numbers alone (additional modifiers tilt it in favor of the Ultra-Rare). I'm sure we'll have some new reps and holdings to grind so we can solve this dilemma! :9
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Unless they departed from precedent, then a Rare XIII would be expected to end up below an Ultra-Rare XII (up one level, but down two quality grades).

It would follow that Fleet XII = Purple XIII = Blue XIV at least in numbers alone (additional modifiers tilt it in favor of the Ultra-Rare). I'm sure we'll have some new reps and holdings to grind so we can solve this dilemma! :9

Historically with MMOs, when raising the level cap, you try to inflate past existing high end gear relatively quickly.

Level cap increases are generally designed to rebalance MMOs.

You push players well beyond existing content and gear very quickly.

But you scale classes and enemies differently.

If you do it correctly, you get what feels like a tidal wave of power creep when, in fact, players have less relative power against enemies at the end and may find that class/faction balance has shifted when the dust settles.

But if you balance through nerfs, people get upset. So the point here is to increase everyone's power dramatically enough to render everything existing obsolete while actually adjusting relative scaling in a way that is a net nerf. And it's the kind of magic trick that, ideally, even works when people intellectually are aware that you are doing it.

As they say in WoW, green is the new purple.
  • kerriknightkerriknight Member Posts: 274
    edited September 2014
    Historically with MMOs, when raising the level cap, you try to inflate past existing high end gear relatively quickly.

Level cap increases are generally designed to rebalance MMOs.

You push players well beyond existing content and gear very quickly.

But you scale classes and enemies differently.

If you do it correctly, you get what feels like a tidal wave of power creep when, in fact, players have less relative power against enemies at the end and may find that class/faction balance has shifted when the dust settles.

But if you balance through nerfs, people get upset. So the point here is to increase everyone's power dramatically enough to render everything existing obsolete while actually adjusting relative scaling in a way that is a net nerf. And it's the kind of magic trick that, ideally, even works when people intellectually are aware that you are doing it.

As they say in WoW, green is the new purple.

X to XII was handled exactly the same way. Yes, power creep has continued through fleshing out the ultra-rare grade and ever-more creative bonus powers on rep sets, etc. But the base level/rarity numbers are pretty much intact.

This game doesn't just keep packing more stat mods on you through raiding like WoW does, so there's no need to suddenly leapfrog multiple tiers of raid gear with the 'new greens' in the same way.

In fact, given all of their promises that they'll keep gameplay viable for the F2P crowd in their un-upgraded T5s, I can't see them going that route.

But as with everything, all speculation.