test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crystalline Catastrophe 101: Survival Basics for Fun & Dilithium

2»

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Aegis seems to make it laughably easy to tank the shock wave. I need to cross-heal in that ship to get points for healing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited August 2014
    You get points based on healing. If you take a lot of damage(without getting KOed) you get more points for your self-healing.

Aegis won't always completely protect you from the wave. The immunity thing sometimes procs off a different source of damage thus leaving you... semi-vulnerable to the wave.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Quick simple guide to get 1st place in CCE.

Get a Romulan ship, get the valdore console, stick beam arrays on it and FAW away. You'll come first place even though you're being mostly useless. That is unless there's another romulan doing the same thing.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited September 2014
    It's not that hard to get first place. It seems that the following works regardless of class or ship type (assuming you have the right skills).

1.) Engage the Tholian defensive formations.

Despite the obvious peril of ignoring them, damage done here most definitely applies to the final outcome.

2.) Debuff. Debuff. Debuff.

The damage bonus with each smaller shard returning is what causes 95% of the grief here. If you can't kill them (some people ignore them) debuff that crystalline be-atch as often as possible.

3.) Watch the damage levels on the CE.

Simply put - either watch this or die. Check the OP for techniques that you can take advantage of.

4.) Small Shards

Get 'em while they're hot. Simply put they are your biggest enemy (ultimately).

5.) Large shards

Draw them away. Kill them. Move back for more from the buffet.
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Everyone has their own way of doing it! I just have to make sure I get purple marks at the end along with that event object. Last night for me it's the next day. But anyway it had looked like there was only me and 3 others playing. It had taken much longer to complete the mission. I gave it everything I got and more. I get really close and blast away get out fast then do a 360 and go in again and again until it goes POOF! ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    wardcalis wrote: »
    the new Aegis set 3peice makes you immune to the absorbings wave release. it will stun you for a 1/2 second but you will take no damage.

Beware, however, that this is only true if the absorption feature wasn't used up by another attack - otherwise you might have end up being immune to a stray phaser shot from a Mirror ship, but get blasted into oblivion by the shockwave.

That said, yeah, the Aegis set is really awesome for this kind of encounter. It's also great for dealing with Undine planet killers, by the way.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Then you weren't doing it right. I believe I have survived both on multiple runs. It is dangerous, however, because of the high density of large shards at this range.

I don't doubt that. I wouldn't mind seeing seeing you or edalgo's builds to take a peek at how to do it though :D
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Whilst only targeting the large shards is not doing any damage to the entity i'll always keep an eye open for a teammate who is drawing several away from it and hunt them down whilst he leads them on a wild goose chase.

This works well if you can team up with another player, one draws aggro and attracts the larger shards, then draws them out of range of the entity. Then you either kill them while they chase him or he tanks the hits and you stomp the smaller weaker shards whilst they are well out of the entity's range.

Been using this tactic a lot recently and it keeps the area around the entity relatively safe for the rest of the team to attack it and not worry about getting bombed by shards.
    SulMatuul.png
    edited September 2014
    I don't doubt that. I wouldn't mind seeing seeing you or edalgo's builds to take a peek at how to do it though :D
    EptS is of great help there. combining it with TSS works wonders.

There are a few specific things that make it a lot easier though. The phase shift device you get from the Devidian eps greatly enhances your resistance to all damage for a while. The Romulan Phasing Cloak console is killer. You'll take some damage, but not much.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Pets – personal observation, would love feedback

Another great pet for the CE is the Delta Flyer. Decent damage from it's torps, but more importantly it removes the buffs from the CE with it's built-in Tachyon Beam.

Even a single hangar of cheap, rare Deltas from the EC vendor will suffice in keeping the stack down. Also great in fixing those encounters that seem lost, (those runs when you see all-dead ships and a CE with 200+ stacks when warping in) as you can sit safely outside the CEs range and use the Deltas to remove stacks.
  • greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yea, I try to buff up, TSS, HE, A2SIF at over 100 Aux, EptS, and BFI, but I still blow up, so I'd like to see how the real men tank it.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The phase shift device you get from the Devidian eps greatly enhances your resistance to all damage for a while.

Actually, there is a trade-off. It makes you 4x more susceptible to protonic damage. I'm not sure if that includes ANTI-PROTON, which is the main damage type of the CE. NEVER use this against the voth. They use protonic. You might as well just blow yourself up if you do.
    edited September 2014
    Actually, there is a trade-off. It makes you 4x more susceptible to protonic damage. I'm not sure if that includes ANTI-PROTON, which is the main damage type of the CE. NEVER use this against the voth. They use protonic. You might as well just blow yourself up if you do.
    I've tried it many times against the CE. It does NOT give you a weakness to the CE's attacks.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited September 2014
    I've tried it many times against the CE. It does NOT give you a weakness to the CE's attacks.

Good to know!
  • rodneywollamrodneywollam Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Just some quick key questions, for those of us who don't know the abbreviation of ever power type. What are:

1. [proc]
    2. FAW
    3. T:S
    4. nes
    5. MW
    6. TSS
    7. HE
    8. A2Sif
    9. BFI

Thanks.
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    1. [proc] mmo terminology of when a weapons % chance on hit goes off
    2. FAW fire at will
    3. T:S torpedo : spread
    4. nes I don't think there is a nes...but there is mes which is mask energy signature
    5. MW miracle worker
    6. TSS transfer shield strength
    7. HE hazard emitters
    8. A2Sif auxillary to structural integrity
    9. BFI brace for impact

Cheers
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
    edited September 2014
    I believe proc stands for percent of chance, or somesuch. Probable rate of casting, or something. You can just think of it as short for "process" though, as in that's the possible skill that will "process" when you fire.
    edited September 2014
    yeah, proc includes things that have a chance to happen in general. this includes things like projectile weapons officers and their chance to reduce torp CDs. Some gear has defensive effects that have a chance to occur. Such as shields with a chance to reflect damage.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you have the Tholian Orb Weaver science ship you can use the web generator console to block the shockwave. It has to be timed properly so that it deploys in time, and is not out long enough for the web nodes to be shot away rendering it useless. On normal difficulty, I find that the ideal deployment time is when the entity's cast bar is just over three quarters full, and on elite, when it is around two thirds full. You must be at greater than 3km to activate it, and it will also trap everything within it's area of effect. I usually use it on the first on normal (since it's dead much of the time before the second shockwave), and second shockwave on elite.

I use this on my tholian Recluse carrier with great success. I also use the elite Mesh Weaver frigates for carrier pets. They have BFaW and APB3.

Also gravity well and torpedo spreads are real good about controlling the shards, as well as pulling in the random NPC ship that gets too close. My favorite torpedo for this is the gravimetric torpedo from the Voth repuation.