test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Science vs. Borg ground advise

sierra078sierra078 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Federation Discussion
I just finished the Nukara reputation. I'm currently working the Omega reputation. I have the Nukara Strike force full auto rifle and the shields, but they seem ineffective against the Borg. The Borg seem to adapt much faster to the cold rifle than the antiproton sniper rifle I carry as well. I know that the Nukara equipment is optimized to fight the Tholians but I would think that the shields would offer a bit more protection than what I'm experiencing. I'm working on getting a custom kit together. For now i have an older Physicist MK X kit. I have a Xindi science kit with 1 sci mod, 2 research, 1 medic (I think) What modules would go best against the Borg. I'm thinking Tachyon Harmonic, grav-field, exothermic, hyperonic radiation. And should I totally switch to Omega/Maco set and sell off the Nukara stuff?
Post edited by sierra078 on

Comments

• Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    sierra078 wrote: »
    I just finished the Nukara reputation. I'm currently working the Omega reputation. I have the Nukara Strike force full auto rifle and the shields, but they seem ineffective against the Borg. The Borg seem to adapt much faster to the cold rifle than the antiproton sniper rifle I carry as well. I know that the Nukara equipment is optimized to fight the Tholians but I would think that the shields would offer a bit more protection than what I'm experiencing. I'm working on getting a custom kit together. For now i have an older Physicist MK X kit. I have a Xindi science kit with 1 sci mod, 2 research, 1 medic (I think) What modules would go best against the Borg. I'm thinking Tachyon Harmonic, grav-field, exothermic, hyperonic radiation. And should I totally switch to Omega/Maco set and sell off the Nukara stuff?

yeah the old kits seem to be more effective but it lacks the modules I need under my FED SCI VA. I use to use the Voth AP ground weapons they don't seem to be so effective against the Borg. 8472 weapons some what. Get the 4 Research and 1 Medic Kit called Science Kit [Medic] on the exchange.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I agree 100%. Medic kit is by far, the best kit, and for ANY situation. No matter who you are fighting, Medic kit is the answer. But my personal recommendation is to save up for an XII Fleet kit, and go full Medic on that.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Phycisist Kit is the best one imo. Combine it with a pulswave and adapted Maco-Set and you will really mob the floor with borg-mobs. Medic is not needed in team or alone, alone a BO can do the job, and in a team everything should die fast enough to not need much heal. TBH its like this: If you really need to heal your team, your team is bad and you should do dps to compensate. If your team is good, everything dies quickly and heal isnt needed. So playing healer is more like a lifestyle-choice, but considering the game, its wasted ability.

I use the Spire Kit with all Modules that were in the physicist kit and wipe out an entire borg-mob in Elite STFs within 3sec. If you want to slot heal, there is one universal slot you can use one heal-module in it, which is more than enough.
  • Options
    simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I would use a compression pistol. It has the fastest firing rate of all ground weapons so you proc more often. Use a tetryon agains the Borg to help drop there shields. If not use a Elachi crescent pistol, it is a compression pistol also, but with shield bleed through. Run the biochemist that debuffs targets for five second after any science buff or debuff is used against a target. I would run a split three two kit. Run three offensive buff and two medical. Run eletrogravtic, tachyon harmonics, and exothermic induction. For the medical side run medical tricorder and nanite the health monitor. This is how you drop people with the set up.
    1. Eletrogravtic to hold in place, works with biochemist
    2. Tachyon harmonics, biochemist approved
    3. Tricorder scan, biochemist approved
    4. Exothermic induction, biochemist approved
    5 . Secondary attack on the compression pistol

If you run in a group of enemies use Nettie infiltration first. Against the non primary target, this will give it time to spread to other enemies

Always save your dampening field for the hard hitting targets like the elite drone. It is also biochemist approved and makes enemies prone to the fire from exothermic induction.
    320x240.jpg
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have this trait on my science characters that they do 25% more damage against slowed and snared targets. Si I was thinking perhaps a stun pistol works here, slow/stun the target, then your primary firing mode gives bonus damage.

I don't know if it works, because I have to analyze the damage numbers. The stun pistol seems to kill stuff pretty fast. Also, when the borg adapt, they do still get stunned by the secondary firing mode.

Also sonic pulse and tachyon beam, that wide forward face thing. It knocks them down and hurts them severe. It is on a pretty good kit with triage and that anaesthezine grenade.

I still use old purple kits. Made a couple of those with the old crafting system. They are bound on nothing, really great stuff.
  • Options
    dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited September 2014
    I skimmed over most of the advice so apologies if this has already been said.

Weapons that fire lots of little attacks give the Borg more chances to adapt to them than weapons that fire slower.

A Sniper Rifle and Full Auto Rifle may have the same DPS but the slower bolts of the Sniper Rifle will take the Borg longer to adapt to.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    fovrel wrote: »
    I have this trait on my science characters that they do 25% more damage against slowed and snared targets. Si I was thinking perhaps a stun pistol works here, slow/stun the target, then your primary firing mode gives bonus damage.

The Trait works on Sci-Debuffs. All physicist-Modules trigger it, plus your Tricorder scan.
    Dont waste your money on stun pistols, they are trash.
  • Options
    pmadi32382pmadi32382 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    My preferred kit is the Bio-Molecular Science Kit, from the 8472 rep. It gives you 4 research and one medical kit slots. I use this as sort of a general purpose kit, but it works well against the Borg I've found. I slot exothermic induction field, electro-gravitic field (slotting a geologist doff, which can cause a phasic instability), sonic pulse and tachyon harmonic. Then for the medical slot I will use either medical tricorder or nanite health monitor, for some healing if needed.

When approaching a group I like to pop the electro-gravitic field, which depending on the doff(s) you use has up to a 24% chance to cause the phasic instability which draws enemies towards the center (it's pretty much a gravity well for the ground) then I will fire off tach. harmonic to lower shields and then exothermic induction field to get some extra damage. Generally by this point it's just mop up duty with a pulse wave rifle or I will sometimes fire off sonic pulse for some extra damage, knowing the phasic instability will draw the enemies back to the center. This also has the benefit of grouping all the enemies together so it makes it easier for the whole team to do damage.

This kit frame also has the benefit of giving you extra points to particle physics which increases the damage of the exothermic field, your tach. harmonic and your sonic pulse. It also adds points to probability logistics which again adds effectiveness to your debuffs.

This kit and these modules gives you lots of control and debuffs to help your team, but also gives you some good damage dealing and a little healing as well when needed.

I usually also carrier a sniper rifle to help pick off targets when the phasic instability doesn't pop.
  • Options
    simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I skimmed over most of the advice so apologies if this has already been said.

Weapons that fire lots of little attacks give the Borg more chances to adapt to them than weapons that fire slower.

A Sniper Rifle and Full Auto Rifle may have the same DPS but the slower bolts of the Sniper Rifle will take the Borg longer to adapt to.

While this does make since. If anything adapts fast it is a full auto rifle. That is the reason I use the compression pistol. It's secondary shot comes around fast and hits hard. It rivals the pulseswave for damage. It does not strike mutiple targets. Also a pulseswave loses effectiveness over distance. Get targets over 10 meters and damage drastically reduces. Now a sniper is a good weapon. Better for a tac. Here is the reason why, tricorder scan can only be used at around 30 meters the same distance as the compression pistol. The obective for any science on the ground is to debuff it's targets. You can do this with a sniper rifle, but don't waste your sniper shot until the shield are down then tric scan, then hit them with the secondary of the sniper rifle.

Science dps on the ground is all about the debuff of the target as soon as shields are down.
    320x240.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Scis are really good at self-healing, which makes melee less painful.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Personally, I run a physicist style kit (for debuffs, CC and expose) with biochemist (debuff) and geologist (Ground GW proc) doffs plus some others. Tachyon harmonic, Electro/grav field (Ground GW proc is fun) are both definitely in there. I have a single medic power as well. A heal is always handy!
    I can't remember the rest off the top of my head though :/

For weapons, I have a fleet phaser split beam rifle (3 targets hit on secondary, which is also an exploiter. Doesn't have the spin up time of the sniper secondary either so it hits almost immediately) and I run the omega set. Iirc, the omega set 3 piece gives a bonus to exploit damage.
    The full auto rifle does have trouble with adaptation, but you can just switch out to the other weapon slot as long as it is a different energy type. One of the borg traits helps with borg adaptation immensely by slowing it down.
    As you don't have the omega rep done yet, you could just rely on your powers to expose and then just run an extra split beam rifle for now. The split beam doesn't have the range of the sniper (35m Vs 45m on the secondary. Primary fire range is the same 35m) but the secondary attack is much faster to react and also hits up to 3 targets at once. The main attraction to me was the quicker reaction of the secondary attack!

On the ground as a sci I tend to emphasize expose effects with powers and hit them with an exploiter for the big whack of extra damage. If there is a tac on the team, they can take the expose effect instead of you, using their damage buffs to bump up their potential damage on the exploit.
    Iirc, one of the hirogen traits is handy on the ground for a sci. It bumps up your expose chance quite a bit.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,630 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I run with a high density beam rifle, and a Lirpa. I tend to use the gravitic to pin them and the exothermic to fry them in place
    We Want Vic Fontaine