test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sierra Games to Come Back

otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Ten Forward
Heard the news that Sierra Games is going to begin making games again. I don't mind if they re-do and repackage their old games for those who never played them but I sure hope this time they release some new games too. Would love to see another Space Quest or King's Quest, I might even play the old stuff if it comes out with new graphics.
Fleet Admiral Stephen
Post edited by otisnoble on

Comments

• gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Oh, I remember their Win95 pinball games well!

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    otisnoble wrote: »
    Would love to see another Space Quest or King's Quest, I might even play the old stuff if it comes out with new graphics.
    You mean like these?

The King's Quest II remake, from what I understand, expanded significantly on the story. I can tell you it's awesome.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I played a bunch of the old Sierra games back in the day. Space Quest and Police Quest in particular, and LSL ofc. They kinda cheesed out towards the end though, going to menu-based system instead of free-text system. Then the games lost their challenge and became simple click-to-complete models, gameplay went too fast, finish in an afternoon instead of a week. Then the company collapsed and had to be bought out.

I know nostalgia is the big hook these days but TBH I dont think they could relive the magic of their early games in today's carebear environment. Maybe they could make tablet games or something and use the brand as a marketing tool. Good luck to them and I am interested to see what happens.
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Maybe they could make tablet games or something and use the brand as a marketing tool. Good luck to them and I am interested to see what happens.
    Nooooooo, can you imagine the agony of playing "hunt the pixel" on a touchscreen device?! :P
  • havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Half-Life 3 confirmed?
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited August 2014
    Is it just Sierra Games getting resurrected, or all of Sierra On-Line? Sierra made a decent genealogical software for which I'd love to see an updated version.

As to the games, I played several. I'd love for someone to overhaul/reboot Lighthouse: The Dark Being. Ultimately, the game had a weak ending, but it was really creepy at night with the lights out. I guess I fancy it because it was the first game I played on the first computer I built.

They also made RAMA, based on A.C. Clarke's works. The games puzzles, which often consisted of finding the means necessary to communicate with the various species encountered, were challenging, and made sense in context. One species communicated in color spectrum, for example, and used base 8 numbering. I've still not read Clarke's books on RAMA, but I did enjoy the game.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Didn't Sierra also make that definitive NASCAR simulator back in the late 90s?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    hl3 like sc ghost is vaporware.

the only really good thing sierra studios was noted for was a collaboration with relic for a certain space building game, beyond that nothing else really stood out about them.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    uhm they created Half-Life and Counter-Strike, which paved the way to steam (originally a HL/CS mod platform) that has changed the shape of the entire gaming community.

So yah, Sierra never did anything...
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    havokreign wrote: »
    uhm they created Half-Life and Counter-Strike, which paved the way to steam (originally a HL/CS mod platform) that has changed the shape of the entire gaming community.

So yah, Sierra never did anything...

what part of collaborated with relic did you not read? pop your eyes out and clean them first.

valve holds the license to hl, sierra has no further rights to it, doesnt matter what they started and with hl2 ep3 long since.... sank if you like. they could sell those rights but without something substantial to back up the amount needed to buy such a lucrative game title like that, get the right people, studios and such. it would be best assuming real to start small and work up the profile again before trying for something that major.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited August 2014
    They also made RAMA, based on A.C. Clarke's works. The games puzzles, which often consisted of finding the means necessary to communicate with the various species encountered, were challenging, and made sense in context. One species communicated in color spectrum, for example, and used base 8 numbering. I've still not read Clarke's books on RAMA, but I did enjoy the game.

I've read "Rendezvous with Rama" (1973) and thought it was okay. I liked "Rama II" (1989, I think) alot better. "Garden of Rama" (don't remember which year) was good too. But by the time I got to "Rama Revealed" (the last book, don't remember which year) I'd just about given up. I like Clarke's writing, but not a big fan of Gentry Lee's writing.
  • drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I would love to see them add to Arcanum or even expand to a sequel. The unofficial mods are great, don't get me wrong... Drogg Black Tooth has done some amazing stuff over the years, but something official would rock.

If only Troika property were up for grabs too... Vampire The Masquerade:Bloodlines follow-ups would be amazing.
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Now, if only Sony would put Psygnosis back together.

3 console generations on, and I'm still waiting for G-Police 3 and Colony Wars 4. :P
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Weren't Sierra going to make a B5 game back in the late '90s? Babylon 5: Into the Fire? I think it would be cool to see what they can do with today's technology, but since they were defunct for nearly a decade, I think it will be a few years before we see anything major from them.

On the other hand, the Indie Game market is booming right now, so it's the perfect climate for a small company like Sierra trying to get back on its feet.
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    They made Red Baron and Red Baron II, and tried to make an online PvP version - very laggy with the available hardware. Red Baron II was loads of fun.

If they would redo Red Baron and make an online PvP version, I'd be all over it.
  • caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    what part of collaborated with relic did you not read? pop your eyes out and clean them first.

valve holds the license to hl, sierra has no further rights to it, doesnt matter what they started and with hl2 ep3 long since.... sank if you like. they could sell those rights but without something substantial to back up the amount needed to buy such a lucrative game title like that, get the right people, studios and such. it would be best assuming real to start small and work up the profile again before trying for something that major.

Wow, be more passive aggressive when you are caught out as blatantly wrong.

The guy replied in answer to your nonsensical post about sierra, 'only doing something with relic'. Which is clearly a pile of dog****. They did lots of stuff. Anyone who remembers, or has access to google can see that. No one is talking about who has the licenses to whatever, he was talking about the fact you made some flippant comment highlighting the fact you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Including ****ing Half Life, an industry defining title in the video game world when it released, and the first real story driven and complex FPS adventure ever made, setting the benchmark for that entire genre for nearly a decade.

Oh yeah and lets not forget that game no one heard of, Team Fortress. Yeah no one heard of that game, that they also developed before Valve acquired the rights.

Yet all you could comment on was Homeworld? Was that when you started playing games or something?

As well as Half Life, Team Fortress and Homeworld, I also enjoyed Ground Control and the SWAT games.
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I thought Half-Life and Half-Life2 were developed by Valve.

When I Googled it to make sure my aging memory wasn't failing me, I see no mention of Sierra. I'm pretty sure they were gone by then.
  • otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I enjoyed Space Quest just to see how many ways I could kill Roger Wilco and the way he screamed.:D:rolleyes:
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • ussdanubeussdanube Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Half Life, Counter Strike and Team Fortress were all developed by Valve Corporation. Sierra Studios merely published them for Valve.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_(series)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Entertainment
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Is it actually Sierra, or just someone buying the Sierra name the way Atari kinda-sorta still exists?
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I know nostalgia is the big hook these days but TBH I dont think they could relive the magic of their early games in today's carebear environment. Maybe they could make tablet games or something and use the brand as a marketing tool. Good luck to them and I am interested to see what happens.

Yeah i remember when youd grind on a game for 1-2 weeks before beating it and if you went non stop your still looked at 3-4 days no sleep red eye coffee express grind from hell.

Those were fun times before the point click I WIN!!!! games started rolling off the assembly lines .
  • jerihoojerihoo Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That's great :rolleyes:.Can't remember did they made Homeworld or just publish him?
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jerihoo wrote: »
    That's great :rolleyes:.Can't remember did they made Homeworld or just publish him?

Relic Entertainment was the developer for Homeworld and Homeworld 2 while Sierra Entertainment was the publisher. Valve Corporation was the developer for Half-life while Sierra was the publisher.

My first RPG game was Hero's Quest I and the Quest for Glory series had to be one of my favorite series of all time. They had to change the name of Hero's Quest to Quest for Glory due to a lawsuit. My favorite Quest for Glory game had to be Quest for Glory 4, but Quest for Glory is my second favorite due to the epicness of the missions like descending into Hades, fighting a dragon and the Hydra. Sierra was my favorite computer game company in the 90s.
  • otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've played Space Quest, King's Quest, Police Quest? and other games put out by Sierra and I thought they were all great.
    Fleet Admiral Stephen