test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Idea for kerrat or a kerrat type map.

pappy02upappy02u Member Posts: 141 Arc User
So as point made by someone about the crystalline entity event gave me a flash of an idea. "Shouldn't the Feds be force to communicate with the Entity?"

So here it goes how about an open pvp type map like Ker'rat or replace the Borg in Ker'rat where the crystalline entity is "resting". You show up and if you're a FED you try to make contact and communicate with the entity. As a KDF you show up and try to destroy the entity. Then here both sides try to stop each other from completing their intended mission.

So this give a PVPVE map that actually makes sense rather than look a Borg base lets shoot each other rather than the greater threat to both of us.

The way I see the mission working is something along the lines of the Feds need to activate some communication arrays and the KDF needs to prevent them from being activated. The second part could be the Feds need to keep the entity and/or arrays alive for a period of time. The KDF either has to destroy the arrays and/or the entity.

Now I don't think/want this to replace the queued/special events this would just be another system or a replacement for the Borg in Ker'rat.

I just came up with this so it's pretty rough. What do you think?
Post edited by pappy02u on

Comments

• azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    No!

There hasn't been an interest in competitive play in the War zones in the past 3 years! People go in there to PvP and get the dailies done. So adding another War zone isn't going to fix anything.

If you want to add another Open PvP zone, just make it a regular Open PvP zone with no NPCs.
  • texastrekkietexastrekkie Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think this is a great idea. Some people like to just go into a map, shoot stuff, and then leave. Others want to actually have a purpose, a plan, something interesting to do while shooting stuff.
  • alen9thalen9th Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think it is a gret idea but they need to restric teams to same number of players..FED or KDF..it wouldnt fun if there were 15 FED and 2 KDF...I adore kerrat and the PVP component in it..you kill or get killed,you are alone or in group waiting in ambush...i support this idea and think it is great...
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I vote no.... we need a pvp map we can warp into just for pvp. we have karrat map already.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • pappy02upappy02u Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As much as PVP needs some TLC, I figured this would be something that could be implemented and not be told "The game engine can't do that", since Ker'rat exist and this would use similar, if not the same, tech and game elements.

And I do also agree that open PVP maps should be in-game as well, but I don't think the game can do open map kill scoring. Which is why I believe Ker'rat has an objective and scoring is based on completion participation for both sides.
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think you misunderstand the nature of Ker'rat - it is a PvP zone with Borg chicanes, not a PvE zone with risk of KDF vapers as you propose.

:)
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I would actually LIKE a proper Warzone with PvP teams and objectives you feel compelled to complete.

One Warzone where it is just a persistent PvP rolling battle would be nice. Some of the greatest moments I have had in STO was when me and an enemy start fighting each other, and we both call in our fleet mates and we have a rolling 10v10 massive impromptu gang war break out over Ker'rat. It's great, it feels organic and you never know the odds. You could be outnumbered, or you can outgun them. And there is the constant sense of danger lurking around as you never know when a cloaking vaper might come out. But one consistent thing with the PvPers is that we go to Ker'rat for that against-all-odds feel. We actively ignore the Borg either by pushing the combat out of the way, or wiping them out so we can play without interference. So, one consistant, open zone with no NPCs would be fun.

But having another zone where you and the other faction have competing ideas would be fascinating. Tactically, it would be alot more interesting than just punching each other in the face all day. You would actually have to maneuver and flank and try to get into position to activate items, while an opposing team of just as smart and just as determined human players try to do the opposite. This would shift the tactics of the game much like cap and hold does. You can have situations where you win the battle, but lose the war if you fail to get an objective. Make the rewards lucrative enough, and have only one faciton rewarded every 20 mins... BAM, awesome new zone that will be a challenge to old players, and possibly a wading pool for new ones.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited August 2014
    ANY new space war zones would be nice. I'm getting sick of looking at Ker'rat's pukey brown-green background.

... and yet, it's pretty much the only reason I play STO.
    I AM WAR.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think the cease fire is a good opportunity for some war game stuff.

Have a little mini sector made with five or six world's.

Make each one a king of the castle affair.

When one side holds a map, ground or space, a meter fills up.

Faster the more territories you hold.

Once a certain number is reached, map resets and one side is declared a winner.

However, as this post cease fire, red v blue does not mean Fed v KDF

Rather, these represent command and control structures.

Players of any faction choose red or blue on entering the sector.

This represents one real world use of war games. To get one nations military to play well with another.
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Whatever gets added to pvp has to be unbelievable. Otherwise pvpers will be in an uproar...despite actually enjoying the new something.

I like the idea OP, fits with my own ideas of adding to pvp. The best idea is to allow players to make pvp maps through the foundry. Most of the work is already done, why haven't the devs make a go of it? probably low monetary gain
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree