test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is Kirk's hidden pain?

kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Ten Forward
In Star Trek: The Final Frontier, Sybok has the ability to show people's hidden pain in order to.. "heal" them of it and allow them to align with him. We see McCoy euthanize his father weeks before a cure was found. We see Spock be rejected by his father at birth.

But we never see what Kirk's hidden pain was. We never see what he really keeps inside his heart.

So, what do you think his secret pain? the Death of his Son, David. Lost of his ship? What do you think Sybok would have shown us about our unflappable captain?
Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
Post edited by kyeto13 on

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Kirk's hidden pain is his killer case of Aldebaranian crabs. Seriously, once you get Aldebaranian crabs, you never really get rid of them - it can flare up any time! So remember, kids, don't ever hire a hooker on Aldebaran VII, or you might know Kirk's secret pain yourself!!

**THE MORE YOU KNOW**
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Space syphilis

In honesty, it'll probably be something to do with not doing enough to save all the red shirts that have fallen under his command.
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    He'd already faced it when David was killed... His pain was not participating in David's life, and being robbed of the chance to have him participate in their future. That's why Kirk said that he needed his pain, because that was the only tangible thing about David he had.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Something they never touched on in the movies...

Imagine how horrible it must have been for him to go to Carol and tell her their son was dead...
    The anguish on her face and her repeating "...THIS is why I never told you about him..."

This, and the fact that between the end of the series and "The Motion Picture" he realized that he couldn't cope with being a 'desk-jockey Admiral' were most likely the things he anguished over.

Possibly losing command of a starship, was always the "monkey on his back" but he learned to live with it and embrace it by the time Sybok came around.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Kirks hidden pain? he is bald thats a tribble on his head :D
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    daveyny wrote: »

Imagine how horrible it must have been for him to go to Carol and tell her their son was dead...
    The anguish on her face and her repeating "...this is why I never told you about him..."

they healed that rift up somewhat previously but even carol realized her son was also her fathers son as well, and he died protecting 2 others from a klingon execution. that there is the mark of an honest man doing the right thing, even if kirk never saw it that way at first, im sure carol would of seen her boy as the man who gave his life for others despite knowing the risks but then again she couldnt exactly blame kirk for a situation that was far outside kirk or anyone elses control to begin with.

sybok may not of found kirk's pain, but the klingons did.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    From what I can tell, the thing he seemed to really go freak out on was, He's Captain Kirk! lolz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bZKEhgieoc
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    they healed that rift up somewhat previously but even carol realized her son was also her fathers son as well, and he died protecting 2 others from a klingon execution. that there is the mark of an honest man doing the right thing, even if kirk never saw it that way at first, im sure carol would of seen her boy as the man who gave his life for others despite knowing the risks but then again she couldnt exactly blame kirk for a situation that was far outside kirk or anyone elses control to begin with.

sybok may not of found kirk's pain, but the klingons did.

The anguish of a mother's loss of an only child, tends to throw any logical thought out the window, as far as the circumstances are concerned.

I have no doubt that she eventually got to a point where she became somewhat rational about the circumstances, but I doubt she ever really forgave Kirk.

Which means he probably never forgave himself either.

Learning to live with the circumstances, is entirely different from learning to accept them.

Sybok, for the first time apparently, just met a person in Kirk that 'lived' for his anguish...
    And Sybok had no way to counter that.

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I definitely agree that David would be a major part of the Pain.

One thing that irked me in Generations was the fact that Kirk's fiancee was "Antonia" and not Carol Marcus. It's not MUCH, because Kirk and Marcus could have had a one-night stand that happened to end up with a pregnancy. But the interaction in Wrath of Khan suggested that they kept in contact, at least coolly, over the years. So the fling might have been serious until Kirk finally "married" his starship.

I would have much rather the Generations flashback been about Carol Marcus, whom we already know and have seen a history with, rather than this random "Antonia" whom we have never seen before.

*edit* Really... they WANTED it to be Carol Marcus, but changed it at the last minute??? *shakes fist of rage!*
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

The anguish on her face and her repeating "...THIS is why I never told you about him..."

This, and the fact that between the end of the series and "The Motion Picture" he realized that he couldn't cope with being a 'desk-jockey Admiral' were most likely the things he anguished over.

Possibly losing command of a starship, was always the "monkey on his back" but he learned to live with it and embrace it by the time Sybok came around.

I may be mis-remembering WoK, but I believe, that at one point, Kirk is talking to Carol, and says "You asked me to stay away, so I stayed away..."

If I'm remembering properly, then I would take that to mean that he always knew of David's existence, but was unable to participate in his life, so that's why I suspect that made the pain of the lost opportunities, all he had...
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    kyeto13 wrote: »
    In Star Trek: The Final Frontier, Sybok has the ability to show people's hidden pain in order to.. "heal" them of it and allow them to align with him. We see McCoy euthanize his father weeks before a cure was found. We see Spock be rejected by his father at birth.

But we never see what Kirk's hidden pain was. We never see what he really keeps inside his heart.

So, what do you think his secret pain? the Death of his Son, David. Lost of his ship? What do you think Sybok would have shown us about our unflappable captain?

Maybe it was more than just the death of his son and loss of the Enterprise, maybe it was every life lost under his command, that'd weigh pretty heavily on any commanding officer
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    He'd already faced it when David was killed... His pain was not participating in David's life, and being robbed of the chance to have him participate in their future. That's why Kirk said that he needed his pain, because that was the only tangible thing about David he had.
    edalgo wrote: »
    I agree with this assessment.

We see in Generations that Kirk was sad of his lack of family life to regress to after his career. David could have been a part of that. Grandkids?????

Also we see Kirk mourning David over a drink in ST VI...right after Final Frontier.

...snip...

I also concur. If you pay attention Trek lore and interactions instead of all the pew pew pew,... this is totally obvious and makes total sense.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I may be mis-remembering WoK, but I believe, that at one point, Kirk is talking to Carol, and says "You asked me to stay away, so I stayed away..."
    KIRK: I did what you wanted - I stayed away. Why didn't you tell him?

MARCUS: Were we together? Were we going to be--? You had your world, and I had mine. And I wanted him in mine, not chasing around the galaxy after his father!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    KIRK: I did what you wanted - I stayed away. Why didn't you tell him?

MARCUS: Were we together? Were we going to be--? You had your world, and I had mine. And I wanted him in mine, not chasing around the galaxy after his father!

That's what I thought... Kirk always knew he had a son, always knew that he had no part in his life, then had the possibility of any possible relationship taken... That is a massive pain to live with, but, when it's all you've got, you won't let anyone take it from you...
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Kirk's hidden pain is all the child support he has to pay. I wouldn't be surprised if half the non-human characters in STO are related to Captain Kirk.
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Kirk's hidden pain is all the child support he has to pay. I wouldn't be surprised if half the non-human characters in STO are related to Captain Kirk.

With that note I think I will rename Elisa Flores Elisa Kirk:P.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    edalgo wrote: »
    As I get older watching Kirk fall to the floor of the bridge upon learning that David's dead moves me more and more. This is by far the saddest moment for Kirk in all of Star Trek. Even more than Spocks death which was epic. He needs a minute to regain his composure. Something we've never ever seen before nor again.

There is nothing more painful--or more rage-inducing--for most men than to witness the murder of their loved ones.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The anguish of a mother's loss of an only child, tends to throw any logical thought out the window, as far as the circumstances are concerned.

I have no doubt that she eventually got to a point where she became somewhat rational about the circumstances, but I doubt she ever really forgave Kirk.

Which means he probably never forgave himself either.

Learning to live with the circumstances, is entirely different from learning to accept them.

Sybok, for the first time apparently, just met a person in Kirk that 'lived' for his anguish...
    And Sybok had no way to counter that.

living for the pain is not logical, living to find happiness or a direction is logical. he could just as easily counter it but sybok clearly respected kirk's opinion. mccoy's pain for his father it appeared to be the only thing going for him, he eventually found some peace in that sybok helped him discover it and help him through it.

and where i was going before hand was after caroline came to terms with the death of her son. she didnt seem like the type to hold grudges for very long after confronting the issue and her son meant the 'world' to her, but caroline would of realized that it would of been disrespectful on her son's memory to hate kirk for it and herself being consumed with such guilt, all caroline could take from the whole experience is that her son died as a hero even if it doesnt mean much at first. over time learning all the facts as they become declassified by starfleet for carol, she would learn the truth about the genesis planet, what went wrong, where, how the klingons got involved and what happened to the crew of the enterprise and the grissom. even she had a hand in the genesis device but such were the circumstances and david was not the only one to die around this genesis planet either, most of the situation was completely outside kirk's control and he didnt know that david went back with the grissom to the planet.

the only part kirk was to blame was an unwillingness to head to the regula research station in the first place and to learn of some history and facts he never knew much about. with khan in the way it was also another situation that got out of control, caroline could hardly blame kirk for khan's behavior but a madman like khan set the device off to settle an old score, but that whole situation was of kirk's doing years previously and that is where the fault lies on kirk. thats the only thing she could blame kirk on.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    That's just Smirk after reading our posts about him. Could go for Geko as well when it comes to podcasts.

Anyways, I though the pain was the loss of his brother, Kirk tells Spock and McCoy that he lost his brother once and learned to bounce back.

That or the reviews on StarTrek 5 : The Final Movie Made By Shatner Due To A Court Order. :rolleyes:

I believe Kirk was referring to Spock's death, and that Spock 'bounced back', I don't think he would be so glib about Sam's death...
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    living for the pain is not logical...
    What exactly about human emotion strikes you as logical in the first place?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png