test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

6.0 Earth Quake - Hope My Ppl In The West Is Safe

vnexusvnexus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Ten Forward
--In this downtime, I'd just like to say or point out that we all live lives and its a TRIBBLE at times. So I hope all my Cali Gamers are Safe as well as the STO Staff, much love from the Mid-South. If you out there & have news, feel free to post it

-V
Post edited by vnexus on

Comments

• ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This should be in ten forward.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • vnexusvnexus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    This should be in ten forward.

No no, not that kinda topic guy. You missed it. Its a General Discussion on the possible server status plus noting "shxt happens". Try not to live in the 'Game World' to much... like the Police pulling someone over for J-Walking near their own house, putting a flash light on them and saying "No, you kant do that!".

Sarcasm, but serious, no the topic isnt launch room chatter... its status updates plus showing its actually Humans behind the walls that most ppl dont see or simply forget about. If their Office was hit, thats surely Game + Business related and then some

-V
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    vnexus wrote: »
    No no, not that kinda topic guy. You missed it. Its a General Discussion on the possible server status plus noting "shxt happens". Try not to live in the 'Game World' to much... like the Police pulling someone over for J-Walking near their own house, putting a flash light on them and saying "No, you kant do that!".

Sarcasm, but serious, no the topic isnt launch room chatter... its status updates plus showing its actually Humans behind the walls that most ppl dont see or simply forget about. If their Office was hit, thats surely Game + Business related and then some

-V

Whaaa?!! What the heck is launch room chatter? I don't even think anyone at NASA knows! What I do know is that this nonsense is from outer space.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014

-V

If it's not lunch room chatter, it can go in one of the several existing threads. But your OP is lunch room chatter and has squat to do with STO's gameplay or story, so it belongs in Ten Forward.

EDIT: Whaddaya know? The mods thought it belonged in Ten Forward, too.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Moved to ten forward because it's not about the game, but real life people.

Trendy responded on twitter she felt it and went back to sleep. Taco also replied so he's okay as well :) I live just a bit away from it and apparently slept right through it lol. Though I do know that there has been some damage, a few people injured and such from what CNN is reporting but no one will know the extent for a few at least.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,434 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As I recall, the server farm Cryptic uses is in fact on the East Coast (hence our historical issues with Cogent), so it should be fine. Just hoping the offices and personnel are all okay, and that everyone purchased the earthquake riders on their home-insurance policies.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The earthquake hit Napa, CA, north of San Francisco Bay (Los Gatos, home of Cryptic Studios, is south of the bay.) No fatalities reported, and damage appears to be limited to the Napa Valley and the vicinity north of the Golden Gate. So that's the good news.

The bad news is there were dozens of people injured (at least three critically) and the damage is severe enough that the Governor has declared a state of emergency.

http://news.msn.com/us/3-people-critically-injured-after-california-quake?gt1=51501

Thoughts and prayers with the people of Napa.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Moved to ten forward because it's not about the game, but real life people.

Trendy responded on twitter she felt it and went back to sleep. Taco also replied so he's okay as well :) I live just a bit away from it and apparently slept right through it lol. Though I do know that there has been some damage, a few people injured and such from what CNN is reporting but no one will know the extent for a few at least.

http://news.sky.com/story/1323980/california-rattled-by-strong-earthquake 3 critically injured and at least 50,000 homes without power according to this news story
  • stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    6.0 Earth Quake???? Is this a sign of our impending DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!?!??!!?!?!?!??!?!!!??!???!?!?!??!?!!?!?? :eek:
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Sadly, one article I read on this said that a lot of people do without earthquake insurance because the cost is so brutal. :-/

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    For those of you who are concerned about the effects of this mornings earthquake in the California Bay-Area, my thanks, and here's a link to the local Bay-Area News site, the the latest breaking developments on the topic...

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    --In this downtime, I'd just like to say or point out that we all live lives and its a TRIBBLE at times. So I hope all my Cali Gamers are Safe as well as the STO Staff, much love from the Mid-South. If you out there & have news, feel free to post it

-V

I'm in LA and I felt nothing. No shock waves or aftershocks. Granted, the epicenter was WAY far away...but so was Northridge and I TOTALLY felt that one. Point is, it wasn't that bad. Our buildings are designed to withstand moderate-to-large earthquakes. It's rare a 6-pointer does a lot of damage. Im not gonna wory unless it's a 7 or bigger. Those almost never happen.

EDIT: I was referring to actual property damage. The majority of injuries in earthquakes are from stuff falling on people, not building collapses. So...yeah. The reports so far are pretty normal. If buildings collapsed everywhere and bridges had catastrophic failures and explosions happened due to broken pipes and whatnot...well, then I'd care. Not to be cold, but I've lived here all my life. I've seen fault lines do MUCH worse then a few fires and random injuries.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
    edited August 2014
    stomperx99 wrote: »
    6.0 Earth Quake???? Is this a sign of our impending DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!?!??!!?!?!?!??!?!!!??!???!?!?!??!?!!?!?? :eek:

Hardly. Just another weekend as far as the San Andreas Fault is concerned.

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,434 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Northridge is the north end of the Greater Los Angeles area (Orange County, of course is the Lesser LA area).

The Bay area is almost four hundred miles away. For you to feel it at that distance would require something more along the lines of a magnitude 11+ quake.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Your ground is pretty tough out there, for sure. Now, if something hits of the same magnitude on the New Madrid fault or in the east, that will be felt for a HUGE distance.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited August 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    Your ground is pretty tough out there, for sure. Now, if something hits of the same magnitude on the New Madrid fault or in the east, that will be felt for a HUGE distance.

It was. The August 23, 2011 earthquake (5.8) was felt by more people than any other in US history. I was working roughly 400 miles to the south-southwest and felt it for about 10 seconds. It was the first earthquake I'd ever felt, and I live within shaking range of the Brevard fault, which has often had lower level quakes.

They say the reason we in the east felt it so far away was that our coast is more solid plate and not broken up as much as in California.
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Northridge is the north end of the Greater Los Angeles area (Orange County, of course is the Lesser LA area).

The Bay area is almost four hundred miles away. For you to feel it at that distance would require something more along the lines of a magnitude 11+ quake.

Actually I felt the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake (the one that collapsed the Oakland Bay Bridge and postponed the World Series) when I was living in Orange County at the time. According to the USGS is was felt as far away as San Diego and Western Nevada, and that was a 6.9 on the Richter.

How far away quake can be felt depends mostly on the strength of the quake and the type. Hardness and/or density of the ground doesn't have as much to do with it. (Although the Mississippi basin is much spongier than California and seismic waves do travel farther when there's water involved, which is why earthquakes off the coast of Chile or Alaska trigger tsunami warnings in Hawai'i.)

The Richter scale is logarithmic and based on the ratio of the shaking amplitude, - not the energy released. A 7.0 has ten times greater shaking amplitude than a 6.0 but it actually releases about 32 times the amount of energy. That means a 7.0 quake is plenty strong enough to be felt at the top and bottom of California if it strikes around the Bay Area.

An 11.0 would release somewhere on the order of 500 gigatons of surface energy, or approximately the impact force a sizeable hunk of asteroid and much, much larger than the largest recorded quake in history. Depending on how much ground it moves, the actual total energy output could easily top the Chicxulub impact. (The 9.1 earthquake that hit the Indian Ocean in 2004 released somewhere around 200,000 times it's estimated surface energy between the total seismic displacement and the subsequent tsunami.) You'd feel it wherever the hell you are on this planet, possibly even in low-Earth orbit.

- Anne Bredon
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    Sadly, one article I read on this said that a lot of people do without earthquake insurance because the cost is so brutal. :-/

The problem with quake insurance isn't the cost of the insurance premium to the customer--it's the fact that any quake big enough to cause enough damage to be worth a claim is ALSO big enough to damage any similarly-constructed building for a dozen miles around, meaning that tens of thousands of claims are being filed at once. Smaller insurance companies often go instantly bankrupt when this happens, because literally all of their customers are filing claims at the same time.
    sander233 wrote: »
    How far away quake can be felt depends mostly on the strength of the quake and the type. Hardness and/or density of the ground doesn't have as much to do with it. (Although the Mississippi basin is much spongier than California and seismic waves do travel farther when there's water involved, which is why earthquakes off the coast of Chile or Alaska trigger tsunami warnings in Hawai'i.)

The surface soil and water don't matter as much for long-distance wave propagation, since the bedrock is only a few hundred feet down at most in most places. Compared to a distance of hundreds of miles, that's paper thin. Most of the wave energy is transmitted deeper underground than that--sometimes through the Earth's mantle for transcontinental distances.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sander233 wrote: »
    Hardly. Just another weekend as far as the San Andreas Fault is concerned.

^ this

I mean common its a 6.0 and yet everyone wets thier pants over it ...except for us californians lol :D