test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bridge officer traits.

tgo533tgo533 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
I have asked a few people and read a few tutorials and I am confused on 1 thing as i have been told many things.

Bridge officers have traits, those traits are applied to you via....

A) by assigning the officer to a bridge officer slot allowing you to use their abilities.(and traits)
B) by assigning your "First officer" and the department heads.

I have been told both, even watched 3-4 people argue on chat about it for 10 minutes with neither convincing the other.

I am leaning to the first officer slot area, because that would allow 7 officers traits to help any ship, even the ones with 4 boff slots.

Anyone know for sure?
Post edited by tgo533 on

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    B) is complete and utter bull.

/thread
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Ship slotted boffs slots. Whoever said department heads were on drugs
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    my ship stats:

bonus accuracy: 22.7%
    crit chance: 19.4%
    severity 106.5%

My ship stats after putting boffs i was not using into department head slots:

crit chance: 19.4%
    severity 106.5%

My ship stats after emptying out all my ship boff stations:

crit chance: 11.4%
    severity 86.5%

The officers that were in the boff stations? one Reman with Sub and Infiltrator, 4 SRO. Each SRO adds 2% crit and 5% severity. For Feds and KDF it's a bit harder to make comparisons just like i did because the stats you get from space traits from non Reman/Romulan boffs are harder to find. Romulans and any kind of Romulan Operative are easier to track. For Fed the easiest way to do it would be to equip a human boff with the leadership space trait and see how much your hull repair rate goes up/down. But yah pretty much A is the answer.
  • tgo533tgo533 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thanks all, much more clear.

I have seen B) stated many times, on lets plays, online tutorials, and in game chat, and i had wanted to know for sure because as i was playing with my BOP i figured i wasnt getting 5 traits. Was hoping it was the other way to get better results.

It does seem quite a disadvantage for bop/vor'que 4 boff slot ships.
    edited August 2014
    What species are all your boffs? if you are using boffs from the exchange the most common space trait you'll see is the Pirate trait on Nausicaans. And according to gamepedia Pirate trait doesnt stack with other pirate traits. Also since its a percent damage increase it might be hard to track. You might be able to see a slight increase in your space weapon damage tooltips when you add/remove a Pirate boff. The only other boff that you might have access to as a KDF that gives you space traits would be the embassy boffs which are romulans with Subterfuge but those dont stack.

Generally speaking KDF and Fed are hosed when it comes to boff space traits. Fed have easy access to Leadership boffs and KDF have access to Pirate boffs. Romulans have easy access to Subterfuge, Romulan Operatives and especially Superior Romulan Operatives though they can run upwards of 14+ million EC. That is of course unless you get really lucky and get an SRO while you are leveling that is the right type (tac, eng, sci) and also the right sex (for people that like to run all fem away teams :P
  • tgo533tgo533 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Naussicaans lol, i have others but was trying to stack as many of them as i could. LOL

If they dont stack then i guess you answered a question that should have came before mine lol.
    edited August 2014
    tgo533 wrote: »
    Naussicaans lol, i have others but was trying to stack as many of them as i could. LOL

If they dont stack then i guess you answered a question that should have came before mine lol.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Pirate/boff

It should be pretty easy to test out using a method similar to the one i used. Get a non nausicaan boff, one with no space traits. It can be a trash boff one that you can get for 10 or 100 credits. Go into space, not sector space but space like right in orbit above Qonos. Take a look at your weapon display and hover over it to see what the damage tooltip says. Now take that trash boff and put him in a station replacing one of your previous Nausicaans. Hover back over the weapon damage tooltip to see if it changed, even a little bit.
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    stonewbie wrote: »
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Pirate/boff

It should be pretty easy to test out using a method similar to the one i used. Get a non nausicaan boff, one with no space traits. It can be a trash boff one that you can get for 10 or 100 credits. Go into space, not sector space but space like right in orbit above Qonos. Take a look at your weapon display and hover over it to see what the damage tooltip says. Now take that trash boff and put him in a station replacing one of your previous Nausicaans. Hover back over the weapon damage tooltip to see if it changed, even a little bit.

This trait does indeed stack, however, you seem to get diminishing returns for each stacked Pirate... The more you stack, the smaller the bonus each provides... Still better than anything else the KDF have...

Get the Rare Romulan Embassy Tac's (with Sup Rom Op) for your tactical stations, but load up on Nausicaans for all others... Pretty cut and dry for KDF...

I always take a Nausicaan Engy at Diplo 4 on Fed for the Pirate trait btw..

Human's are best for Fed, again, their hull repair bonus experiences diminishing returns, but will indeed stack...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This sucks.

EVERY race should have a chance of having a special space trait passive. The fact that it's limited to Nausicans, Rom, Borg, Human,Saurians, Letheans and that Lobi one is bullocks.
    T93uSC8.jpg
    edited August 2014
    Thanks all, much more clear.

I have seen B) stated many times, on lets plays, online tutorials, and in game chat, and i had wanted to know for sure because as i was playing with my BOP i figured i wasnt getting 5 traits. Was hoping it was the other way to get better results.

It does seem quite a disadvantage for bop/vor'que 4 boff slot ships.

Yeah, no. Those slots are all (!) universal. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited August 2014
    This sucks.

EVERY race should have a chance of having a special space trait passive. The fact that it's limited to Nausicans, Rom, Borg, Human, Letheans and that Lobi one is bullocks.

They should but i dont think it would matter because people still go with whats best. As a Tac Fed aligned Romulan you have easy access to Remans, Romulans as well as Humans, Betazoid all the boffs that a normal Fed gets. And if you level Diplomacy to tier 4 you can get access to a KDF boff as a Fed-Rom. But why take any of those when you can get a SRO which gives you 2% crit and 5% crit severity? and those all stack too.

The boff space traits right now arent balanced. If they nerf SRO then that would TRIBBLE off a lot of people. But if you buff everyone else and give them all useful space traits that would make everyone else happy and if they TRIBBLE it up and make any new space traits better then SRO then that might still TRIBBLE off all the people that have SRO anyways. Personally i wish they had never introduced the Romulan Operative trait. But now that it's here i dont want them taking it away either because i've spent quite a bit to get one of my ships fully crewed with 4 SRO and 1 Subterfuge.
    edited August 2014
    stonewbie wrote: »
    They should but i dont think it would matter because people still go with whats best. As a Tac Fed aligned Romulan you have easy access to Remans, Romulans as well as Humans, Betazoid all the boffs that a normal Fed gets. And if you level Diplomacy to tier 4 you can get access to a KDF boff as a Fed-Rom. But why take any of those when you can get a SRO which gives you 2% crit and 5% crit severity? and those all stack too.

The boff space traits right now arent balanced. If they nerf SRO then that would TRIBBLE off a lot of people. But if you buff everyone else and give them all useful space traits that would make everyone else happy and if they TRIBBLE it up and make any new space traits better then SRO then that might still TRIBBLE off all the people that have SRO anyways. Personally i wish they had never introduced the Romulan Operative trait. But now that it's here i dont want them taking it away either because i've spent quite a bit to get one of my ships fully crewed with 4 SRO and 1 Subterfuge.

I've been saying this for ages: they should sell boff traits! Then I'll ditch all my fugly Embassy boffs, and put SRO (that'd be SHO, at the time) on my human crew.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have asked a few people and read a few tutorials and I am confused on 1 thing as i have been told many things.

Bridge officers have traits, those traits are applied to you via....

A) by assigning the officer to a bridge officer slot allowing you to use their abilities.(and traits)
    B) by assigning your "First officer" and the department heads.

I have been told both, even watched 3-4 people argue on chat about it for 10 minutes with neither convincing the other.

I am leaning to the first officer slot area, because that would allow 7 officers traits to help any ship, even the ones with 4 boff slots.

Anyone know for sure?

i think somebody has confused 'department heads' with the 'away team'.
    you can benefit from boff ground traits by using them in the away team, and their space traits by assigning them to a bridge station.
    department heads at best will influence which boffs you see on your bridge and which boffs will pop up in communication dialogues and the like.
  • vnexusvnexus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This sucks.

EVERY race should have a chance of having a special space trait passive. The fact that it's limited to Nausicans, Rom, Borg, Human,Saurians, Letheans and that Lobi one is bullocks.

--Seems like allot of them when you write it all out like that :D

-V
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    vnexus wrote: »
    --Seems like allot of them when you write it all out like that :D

-V

Yeah, sounds like alot, but the truth is that Borg, Lethean and Saurian Efficient traits are useless beyond when first starting out...

As your levels increase, if you put points into the appropriate skills, it is very easy to reach and exceed 75 base power - which is the cutoff for Efficient... Once you throw in high level consoles and gear, and specifically the Plasmonic Leech console, this is even easier...

There is then the other problem that Humans affect only the ships' ability to repair which, though always inferior from a DPS perspective, wasn't so bad before diminishing returns were introduced and also while the Federation's ships were generally more solid than those of the KDF, it helped to bridge the gap somewhat... However, since the KDF now also have some of the strongest hulled ships in game, and Boff traits are subject to diminishing returns, it's usefulness has been significantly reduced and has made it drastically inferior to Pirate... This has resulted in Fed space Boffs lagging behind KDF, and especially Romulans, to the point of almost being broken IMO...

This, however, is one balancing issue I can see never being addressed though frankly...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg