test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Special Combined Weapons Effects

vanheisenvanheisen Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Federation Discussion
I was working on a build for my Dyson Science Destroyer, and it occured to me that some weapons would have some serious effects if used in battle at the same time, although in a game like STO some of the real-world physics would not be seen.

I was thinking that if the proton cannons were used in battle while at the same time an anti-proton weapon were fired this might have an effect similar to a photon torpedo, since protons and anti-protons would annihilate and create a release of energy. I was thinking this could be used as a special ability that allows for certain combination of weapons to be fired together and create a desired effect like increased damage.

For example, if a player equips the right combination of weapons (in this case proton and anti-proton based weapons) and an officer with the trained ability to make use of this combination would give the player the option to use this ability in combat. Like other abilities, this ability could have a recharge time and be affected by multipliers. To limit its use (or abuse) this ability might instead be offered as a trait that would give a "chance" of this happening so that it doesn't happen all the time. It might even be more interesting if there was also a chance of this effect "backfiring" on the player, via a power overload or the result of a weapon effect being so large it damages the player and/or friendlies, thus limiting abuse of a powerful combination of weapons. What are your guys thoughts on something like this being implemented?
Post edited by vanheisen on

Comments

• Options
    eldest13eldest13 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I was thinking about your proposal. Now if this was implemented what wepons would combine with the Triat/ability. Antiproton and Prton sure, but in till the implementation of actual proton weapons and not some gimmick that can't be removed. What other weapons would combine. If your going to make a proposal.

Ita a good idea though would like to see some form of it in game. Cryptic don't take advise from the forums anymore. They used to, in the good old days.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    eldest13 wrote: »
    Antiproton and Prton sure, but in till the implementation of actual proton weapons and not some gimmick that can't be removed.

your forgetting the experimental proton weapon from the dyson rep. usable on any ship.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    vanheisen wrote: »
    I was working on a build for my Dyson Science Destroyer, and it occured to me that some weapons would have some serious effects if used in battle at the same time, although in a game like STO some of the real-world physics would not be seen.

I was thinking that if the proton cannons were used in battle while at the same time an anti-proton weapon were fired this might have an effect similar to a photon torpedo, since protons and anti-protons would annihilate and create a release of energy. I was thinking this could be used as a special ability that allows for certain combination of weapons to be fired together and create a desired effect like increased damage.

For example, if a player equips the right combination of weapons (in this case proton and anti-proton based weapons) and an officer with the trained ability to make use of this combination would give the player the option to use this ability in combat. Like other abilities, this ability could have a recharge time and be affected by multipliers. To limit its use (or abuse) this ability might instead be offered as a trait that would give a "chance" of this happening so that it doesn't happen all the time. It might even be more interesting if there was also a chance of this effect "backfiring" on the player, via a power overload or the result of a weapon effect being so large it damages the player and/or friendlies, thus limiting abuse of a powerful combination of weapons. What are your guys thoughts on something like this being implemented?

I support this, make it a science weapon :D
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    so... the anti proton beam hitting the hull, which has loads of protons in it, needs to be enhanced by a separate proton beam.

sounds legit.....